HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,151 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
The Once Saved Always Saved Belief of Gospel Hall and Baptists #125606
05/27/10 11:10 PM
05/27/10 11:10 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
As both Gospel Hall and Baptists, and probably others, such as Pentecostals believe in Once Saved Always Saved, does anybody know the origin of this belief, as in time, place, who, etc.?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: The Once Saved Always Saved Belief of Gospel Hall and Baptists [Re: Daryl] #125625
05/29/10 12:38 AM
05/29/10 12:38 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Calvin.

Quote:
John Jefferson Davis wrote an article titled: “The Perseverance of the Saints: A History of the Doctrine” [Journal of Evangelical Theological Society 34:2 (June 1991)]. Three things make this article of great value. First, it was written by a well-known and highly respected Calvinist theologian. Second, it covers the key people and church groups on the topic. Third, it demonstrates that “once saved, always saved” or unconditional eternal security was not a doctrine that was taught by the ancient church, nor for that manner, by any well-known theologian before John Calvin. This doctrine is, in fact, completely foreign in the history of Christianity.

While the first extensive discussion of the doctrine of the perseverance of the saints is found in Augustine’s Treatise on the Gift of Perseverance, written around A. D. 429, Augustine believed it was possible to experience the justifying grace of God and yet not persevere to the end. Augustine did believe God’s elect would certainly persevere to the end, but he denied that a person could know they were in the elect and he also warned it was possible to be justified but not among the elect. Not until Calvin was unconditional election, permanent regeneration, and certitude of final perseverance all connected.

James Akin, a Catholic theologian, said in a debate with Calvinist theologian James White that no one before Calvin taught that predestination to grace automatically entails predestination to glory:

"You can check that out for yourself. I did. I searched multiple books and called half a dozen Calvinist seminaries, talking to their systematic theology and church history professors, and no one could name a person before Calvin who taught this thesis. They all said Calvin was the first. I even called John Jefferson Davis, a scholar who published an article in the Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society on the history of this doctrine, a man who is himself a Calvinist, but who has researched the history of this doctrine thoroughly, and he said Calvin was the first to teach it."

http://www.fwponline.cc/v21n1/v21n1witzki.html

Re: The Once Saved Always Saved Belief of Gospel Hall and Baptists [Re: Rosangela] #125631
05/29/10 11:36 AM
05/29/10 11:36 AM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
So, in a nutshell, the Once Saved Always Saved doctrine originated with John Calvin and was never a teaching of the Christian Church from its beginning until John Calvin.

Am I correct in my nutshell statement? smile

Daryl smile

Re: The Once Saved Always Saved Belief of Gospel Hall and Baptists [Re: Daryl] #125632
05/29/10 11:37 AM
05/29/10 11:37 AM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Now for my next question.

What texts do they use to substantiate this belief?

Daryl smile

Re: The Once Saved Always Saved Belief of Gospel Hall and Baptists [Re: Daryl] #125664
05/31/10 05:01 PM
05/31/10 05:01 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
It seems that mainly these 8 texts:

1- My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. John 10:27-29.

2- Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:35-39

3- Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ. Philippians 1:6

4- Who are kept by the power of God through faith . . . I Peter 1:5

5- For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance. Romans 11:29

6- All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me, I will in no wise cast out. John 6:37

7- And this is the Father's will who hath sent me, that all of which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again on the last day. John 6:39

8- In whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. Ephesians 1:13-14

http://eternalsecurity.us/eight_pillars_of_eternal_securit.htm

Re: The Once Saved Always Saved Belief of Gospel Hall and Baptists [Re: Rosangela] #125670
05/31/10 11:28 PM
05/31/10 11:28 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
TY for the 8 texts and the link.

How do we explain what those 8 texts are really saying?

Daryl smile

Re: The Once Saved Always Saved Belief of Gospel Hall and Baptists [Re: Daryl] #125687
06/02/10 02:49 AM
06/02/10 02:49 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Here's another one:

Quote:
13As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

14What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.

15For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.

16So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

17For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.

18Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.

19Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?

20Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?

21Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour? (Romans 9:13-21)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Once Saved Always Saved Belief of Gospel Hall and Baptists [Re: Tom] #125688
06/02/10 02:58 AM
06/02/10 02:58 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Of the quotes Rosangela cited, I think 1-4 and 6 are easily dealt with simply by pointing out that the person himself can choose to leave. The fifth one is interesting:

Quote:
5- For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance. Romans 11:29

Here's the context:

Quote:
26And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

27For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

28As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the father's sakes.

29For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.

30For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief:

31Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy.

32For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all. (Romans 11)

This whole section, Romans 9-11, is dealing with the same theme of how it is that the Gentiles can be saved without being circumcised, a theme which much of Romans is concerned about. Paul argues that God has chosen to save people on the basis of their faith. Those whom God calls are those who have faith. God has designated this, and not circumcision, as the method of election.

Quote:
21But to Israel he saith, All day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people.(Romans 10:21)

This brings out that Israel's fate was not determined by a unilateral decision or act on the part of God, but by Israel's own decision.

Another argument Calvinist's make is that if our salvation depended at all upon anything that we did (including choose to accept Christ), then it would no longer be by grace.

I think an effective counterargument against the whole Calvinistic framework is to consider what it says about God. That is, what would it say about God if it were the case that God chooses certain ones to be saved, regardless of their choice, but not others.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Once Saved Always Saved Belief of Gospel Hall and Baptists [Re: Tom] #125699
06/02/10 04:55 PM
06/02/10 04:55 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
What this author says:

Quote:
If salvation from the penalty of breaking God's laws cannot be earned by good deeds, then it cannot be lost by bad deeds. Our works play no part in either earning or keeping salvation. If it could, then those who reach heaven could boast that while Christ saved them they, by their good lives, kept their salvation. Thus God would be robbed of having all the glory in eternity. ... While those who believe in "falling from grace" are clear that good works cannot earn salvation, they teach that salvation is kept by good works. Thus one gets saved by grace, but thereafter salvation can be lost by works. To teach that good works keep salvation is almost the same error as to say that good works earn salvation. It denies grace to say that once I have been saved by grace I must thereafter keep myself saved by works.

He says, "If salvation from the penalty of breaking God's laws cannot be earned by good deeds, then it cannot be lost by bad deeds."
How would you all respond to this?

Re: The Once Saved Always Saved Belief of Gospel Hall and Baptists [Re: Rosangela] #125700
06/02/10 05:19 PM
06/02/10 05:19 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
He says, "If salvation from the penalty of breaking God's laws cannot be earned by good deeds, then it cannot be lost by bad deeds."
How would you all respond to this?

First of all, it's an invalid argument. If salvation cannot be earned by good deeds, what logically follows is that if you have salvation, you didn't earn it by doing good deeds, and that's it. You can't conclude logically anything about how you would lose salvation from this premise.

Basically the question comes down to whether or not the will is involved in salvation. If our will were not involved in our receiving salvation, then it would make sense that it wouldn't be involved in our not receiving it. It would also make sense that we couldn't lose it, since if our will weren't involved in the first place, and we received it only because God chose to give it to us, why would He change His mind and take it away from us? That wouldn't make sense.

Otoh, if our will is involved in our receiving salvation, then it would make sense that we could choose to reject it, using that same will.

There is an unspoken premise that if our will is involved, then the question of earning salvation by good deeds, or losing it by bad deeds must be involved as well. But this isn't what we believe. What we believe is that salvation is by grace through faith, and that faith is evidenced by good deeds, just as unbelief is evidenced by bad deeds.

Quote:
21And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled

22In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:

23If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel (Col 1.21-23)

This brings out the condition of continuing in faith, not being moved away from the hope of the gospel.

Two questions to consider:

1.Is our will involved in our salvation?
2.Can our will be involved without this being meritorious, "robbing God of having all the glory."?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!