HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,886 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 63 of 103 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 102 103
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127503
09/09/10 11:04 PM
09/09/10 11:04 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: What? "Christ risked all." "All heaven was imperiled" is "unclear," "ambiguous"? No! It's not! Not at all! Anyone can read these statements and understand what they mean.

M:It can also mean facing real danger, which, indeed, Jesus faced real dangers.

"Christ risked all" cannot mean this. Neither can "all heaven was imperiled." EGW spoke "the risk of failure and eternal loss." "Eternal loss" is what was at stake, which agrees with "Christ risked all." There's no way it could be said that "Christ risked all," or that He risked His eternal life, if He was absolutely certain, on the basis of seeing a fixed future, that there was no chance He would fail.

Quote:
However, you haven’t addressed my main concern, namely, do you believe her use of “risk” and “peril” means we must interpret everything else she wrote to agree with your view (i.e. neither the Father nor the Son were absolutely certain Lucifer, Adam, and Jesus would succeed or fail)?

I think this question is vaguely worded. What I think is that Christ risked all, and this couldn't be said if the future were fixed, for the reasons I've explained.

Quote:
M: The idea that we are not free if we cannot make choices that would result in outcomes different than what God knows assumes He cannot know the future like history (we both agree knowing history does not limit or eliminate free will, nor does it mean that they cannot make choices that would result in outcomes different than what history records).

T: Of course, because these are mutually exclusive! One part of the sentence is the future-is-single-threaded idea, and one the other part of the sentence it's the future-is-multi-threaded. Which is it? It can't be both.

M:Yes it can be both. We’re talking about God.

No we're not. I didn't say God couldn't both be single-threaded and multi-threaded, but that the future cannot be. Either it's fixed or it's not. It's either like the past in this regard, or it isn't.

Quote:
He possesses the supernatural ability to know the future like history without upsetting how things are and how things play out in real time.

Saying things like "Upsetting how things are and how things play out in real time" displays a misunderstanding of what we're discussing. This is a non-issue, as I've repeatedly explained. There's no reason to keep bringing this up.

Quote:
M:You wrote:

T: Clearly if God can write out in a book what you are going to do, and that's certain to happen, nothing you can do can change that. To say you can impact the future, given God can write out what you will do in a book things you are certain to do, is not reasoning from cause to effect. If what you are going to do is already written down in a book, then you can't impact what's already been written down. That is, if you can't make what's written down be incorrect, then you can't impact the future. These things have a one to one correspondence.

M:You keep referring to God in terms of how things “will” play out rather than in terms of how things have played out.

This is because I understand what the word "future" means.

Quote:
of, relating to, or constituting a verb tense expressive of time yet to come

Quote:
God knowing the future like history has no more effect on how things play out in real time than someone reading a history book effects how things played out in real time.

This is a non-issue.

Quote:
Again, we’re talking about God, so the rules are different.

1.We're talking about the future, not about God.
2.Logic is still logic, even if God were the subject.

Quote:
That is, God can know the future like history without upsetting the natural order of things.

This isn't an issue.

Quote:
The choices people make in real time are the result of unlimited, unrestricted free will. The fact God knows the future like history in no way means they were unable or incapable of making decisions resulting in outcomes different than what God saw.

It does if "free will" is understood in the libertarian sense. Why? Because there's a logical contradiction involved. If the future is single-threaded, then only one can possibly be made, which is contradictory to the (libertarian) definition of free will.

Quote:
Why? Because from God’s point of view, which includes 20/20 hindsight, He knows the facts after the fact, like watching a rerun. Thus, it is no different than someone reading a history book. “I AM means an eternal presence; the past, present, and future are alike with God. He sees the most remote events of past history and the far distant future with as clear a vision as we do those things which are transpiring daily.” {TMK 12.2} “He sees the end from the beginning. He knows all things. Past, present and future are all clear to Him.” {MR926 34.1}

You're not discussing the real issue at all. The real issue is that the future has certain characteristics, like a square or triangle does. A square has four sides, even for God. God cannot know a square to be a triangle.

Is the future single-threaded or multi-threaded? Whatever it really is is how God sees it.

Quote:
M: Nothing she wrote can be construed to mean the Father and the Son were uncertain Jesus would succeed.

T: Sure it can! Anyone understand what "Christ risked all" means. Similarly "all heaven was imperiled." Simply logic tells us that if:

1.God was certain Christ would succeed. AND
2.Every thing that God is certain will happen does indeed happen THEN
3.Christ risked nothing (remember Christ was as omniscient as God).

M:You are taking two unrelated points

They're not unrelated. You can't see the validity of this argument? You didn't even address the argument. You can't, because there's nothing wrong with it. Your only option is to skip it.

Quote:
and arriving at a conclusion that isn’t plainly stated in the Bible or the SOP. The fact you cannot find a quote that clearly portrays the Father or the Son expressing uncertainty about it speaks eloquently against your view.

You're not dealing with any of the issues involved, or discussing any of the arguments.

Quote:
Regarding doubt, Ellen wrote:

These quotes don't have anything to do with whether the future is single-threaded or not. Neither does the quote in John.

Quote:
By the way, do you agree with me that unfallen beings were absolutely certain Jesus would succeed? If not, please post passages that portray them fretting or fearing Jesus would fail.

Why don't you present some passage from Scripture saying that unfallen beings were absolutely certain Jesus would succeed? The way you are approaching this is incredible. I presented 7 arguments, and you just keep ignoring them. Anything having to do with logical arguments that I write you just ignore. Instead you ask bizarre questions that don't relate to the issue.

Quote:
Nowhere in the Bible or the SOP does it portray them feeling at risk or imperiled.

The Bible doesn't portray unfallen beings feeling anything. It says nothing about them. The SOP speaks about them in certain circumstances, but this is a totally irrelevant point anyway. (btw, she speaks about security in the context of unfallen beings, but, again, this is irrelevant).

Quote:
Why do you think they never felt at risk or imperiled?

Why do you think they weren't?

This has nothing to do with the subject.

Quote:
Why do you think they felt perfectly safe and secure?

According to the SOP, they weren't secure until after the cross. So, logically, if they weren't secure, it's more probable that they didn't feel perfectly safe and secure than that they did. But, again, this is irrelevant.

MM, I've pointed out moral problems, and presented 7 points; 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7a or 7b (I forget which is your and which is mine). Please address the points I made.

If you don't remember them, I can repeat them (but you can find them by looking a few posts back).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127513
09/10/10 02:37 PM
09/10/10 02:37 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
It can also mean facing real danger, which, indeed, Jesus faced real dangers. However, you haven’t addressed my main concern, namely, do you believe her use of “risk” and “peril” means we must interpret everything else she wrote to agree with your view (i.e. neither the Father nor the Son were absolutely certain Lucifer, Adam, and Jesus would succeed or fail)?
Must we interpret risk to mean something different from risk?
Do you see a difference between facing danger and risk? If there were no risk would it be "real" danger? Could it be "real" danger and not risk? Or at least not risk to the person facing the danger?

I had asked before where has Ellen White used risk in a way which may not mean risk as it means and asked for comparison of it to the Bible saying God killed Saul. For some reason you thought I was talking about Saul. I'm talking about Ellen White using risk in a way which an average person would not understand risk to be.

When I face a glass enclosed hive of bees, I am facing danger. Real danger. But as long as I don't break the glass, I have no risk. I have no fear. I have risked nothing in looking for the queen. I am at peace because I know with absolute certainty I will not be harmed.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: kland] #127515
09/10/10 07:00 PM
09/10/10 07:00 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
When I face a glass enclosed hive of bees, I am facing danger. Real danger. But as long as I don't break the glass, I have no risk. I have no fear. I have risked nothing in looking for the queen. I am at peace because I know with absolute certainty I will not be harmed.

Interesting illustration.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #127518
09/10/10 09:17 PM
09/10/10 09:17 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
When I face a glass enclosed hive of bees, I am facing danger. Real danger. But as long as I don't break the glass, I have no risk.

Kland, what is the danger you are facing?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Rosangela] #127531
09/11/10 02:54 AM
09/11/10 02:54 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, you are convinced God is bound by your perspective of the future. You are convinced He cannot know the future like history because you believe it isn't possible. You are convinced the future cannot be known like history. I disagree. I believe He can and does know the future like history and that it doesn't mean the future is fixed or single-threaded. God is not limited by natural law. He can know a square like a triangle without destroying the squareness or triangularity of either one. You are also convinced Ellen's use of the words "risk" and "peril" obviously and unquestionably means neither the Father nor the Son knew with absolute certainty Lucifer, Adam, and Jesus would fail or succeed. I disagree.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127536
09/11/10 03:28 AM
09/11/10 03:28 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
Tom, you are convinced God is bound by your perspective of the future.

No, I'm not. I'm convinced the future is multi-threaded and that this is how God perceives it to be. Why not represent my view accurately instead of misrepresenting it? I try to accurately represent your point of view. Why don't you extend the same courtesy?

Quote:
You are convinced He cannot know the future like history because you believe it isn't possible.

Because the future is different than history. History is single-threaded. The future is multi-threaded. God knows both history and the future as they are in truth.

Quote:
You are convinced the future cannot be known like history.

The same as a triangle cannot be known like a square.

Quote:
I disagree. I believe He can and does know the future like history and that it doesn't mean the future is fixed or single-threaded.

You believe God knows the future as single-threaded, or fixed, because He sees it like a re-run, or like history. These are single-threaded things. Now if God see the future as single-threaded, and knows the future as single-threaded, it stands to reason that the future is single-threaded. Otherwise we would have God seeing and knowing something different than what it really is. But reality is how God perceives it to be.

Quote:
God is not limited by natural law. He can know a square like a triangle without destroying the squareness or triangularity of either one.

Another example is odd numbers and even numbers. These are different entities. God knows the odd numbers as they are, and even numbers as they are. It doesn't make sense to say otherwise. It's no limitation on God to say that He knows the truth.

Quote:
You are also convinced Ellen's use of the words "risk" and "peril" obviously and unquestionably means neither the Father nor the Son knew with absolute certainty Lucifer, Adam, and Jesus would fail or succeed. I disagree.

You sort of mixed things together here. I'm convinced that Ellen's White statement that "Christ risked all" means that Christ risked all, even His eternal life. I'm convinced that "all heaven was imperiled" means that heaven was imperiled, and the cause of this was the fact that Christ risked all.

I'm convinced that if Christ was absolutely certain that He would succeed, then it could not be said that He "risked all," because if you are absolutely certain of an outcome, then you are not risking anything.

For example, say you have a 2 headed coin, and you bet someone it will come up heads. What are you risking? Nothing, because you are absolutely certain of the outcome.

I believe that Adam and Lucifer could have fallen for different reasons, not primarily because she said that Christ risked all.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #127544
09/11/10 04:07 PM
09/11/10 04:07 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, you believe the future is multi-threaded and you also believe God sees it as you do. You believe God looks ahead and sees all the possible choices and outcomes but has no idea which way things will unfold; whereas I believe He looks back and knows precisely how things played out. I believe God knows the future like history and that His knowing so does not change a thing. You believe it means choices and outcomes cannot play out differently than how God saw it unfold as if His knowing so prevents it. I disagree. You believe history and the future are as different for God as it is for you and me. I disagree. I believe God has known the past, present, and future from all eternity and that His knowing so does nothing to alter or change time and space. The future is free and open to us and the fact God has known forever exactly how everything plays out His knowing so has absolutely no effect on the nature and essence of time and space.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127545
09/11/10 08:13 PM
09/11/10 08:13 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
Tom, you believe the future is multi-threaded and you also believe God sees it as you do.

No! I've never said this. I've said that God sees the future as it is. I can't see the future.

Quote:
You believe God looks ahead and sees all the possible choices and outcomes but has no idea which way things will unfold;

No, I've never said this either! We've been discussing this for years. I don't understand the difficulty in just writing back what I've said. I've never said, "God has no idea which way things will unfold." I have said that God sees all the possibilities, and that the future is comprised of possibilities.

Quote:
whereas I believe He looks back and knows precisely how things played out.

Which would make the future fixed, just like history is.

Quote:
I believe God knows the future like history and that His knowing so does not change a thing.

That God knows what will happen wouldn't change anything, so that need never have been mentioned, let alone repeated so frequently, especially after having been explained that this is not an issue. That there is only one thing that can happen is the point.

Quote:
You believe it means choices and outcomes cannot play out differently than how God saw it unfold as if His knowing so prevents it.

No, I've never said this.

Quote:
I disagree.

You're disagreeing with something you've said, not something I've said.

Quote:
You believe history and the future are as different for God as it is for you and me.

I've not said this either. I've said that the future is different than the past. I've not made a comparison between God and ourselves in so doing.

Quote:
I disagree.

You're again disagreeing with something you yourself have said, as opposed to something I've said.

Quote:
I believe God has known the past, present, and future from all eternity and that His knowing so does nothing to alter or change time and space.

Everyone believes this. This isn't an issue. There's no need to mention this ever again in our discussion of this topic!

Quote:
The future is free and open to us

It's free and open to everyone, but your assertion here logically contradicts your idea that God sees the future like history. I don't know why you don't perceive this to be the case.

Quote:
and the fact God has known forever exactly how everything plays out His knowing so has absolutely no effect on the nature and essence of time and space.

Of course not! However, if God knows the future to be a certain way, then that's the way it is. This is the issue, as I've been constantly repeating over and over and over again.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #127552
09/12/10 12:16 AM
09/12/10 12:16 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I commend you for exercising superhuman patience. Your walk with Jesus is evident. I am simply saying God knows the future like history and His knowing so does not make it fixed or single-threaded. Yes, things will play out accordingly. There is no chance it will unfold differently. But none of this matters so far as our ability and freedom to choose as we please. The idea that we're not truly free because we are not free to make choices that would result in different outcomes misses the point, which is God knowing the future like history has zero effect on the nature and essence of time and space. It has the same effect as if God did not exist or knew nothing at all. I realize you think this is impossible. You believe the future consists of all the possible ways things can play out. You also believe God has no idea which one of the many possibilities will play out.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127558
09/12/10 06:48 AM
09/12/10 06:48 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Mike, may I suggest you spend some substantial time throughout the next year in reading novels of a SF or Fantasy kind. Practising imagining different kinds of universes than the one we live in might be the only way this discussion you are having with Tom could ever be resolved. (Not because so doing would necessarily make you agree with Tom, but because learning to imagen a universe that is different from our own would help you understand what Tom is talking about and therefore make you able to take an informed opinion on Toms point of view.) ((I am not here saying that Toms view entails a universe different from our own, but it certainly seems different from any universe you seem capable of grasping, wherefore learning to see fantastically imaginative universes might help you be able to understand his view also.))

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Page 63 of 103 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 102 103

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!