HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 78 of 103 1 2 76 77 78 79 80 102 103
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128157
10/15/10 12:12 AM
10/15/10 12:12 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: Do you think anybody here believes that God's knowing the future to be a certain way changes it?

M: It seems that way.

T: God's knowing the future to be like history would "make" it be single-threaded in the sense that the only way God could know it to be like history is if it were like history. Now since history is single-threaded, that would make the future single-threaded as well.

M:But God can, and does, know the future like history without making it single-threaded or multi-threaded. That's the point.

No! That's not the point, and never has been the point, and has nothing to do with any relevant point. One can only wonder why you keep repeating this.

If God knows the future to be like history, then the future *is* like history. *That's* the point!

Quote:
Time unfolds (things happen sequentially) as if God knows nothing about the future. You appear to agree with this.

I don't even think this makes sense. Why would God's knowing nothing about the future impact whether or not things happen sequentially?

Quote:
M: He knows the end from the beginning. I realize you believe this is impossible because you believe the future doesn't exist.

T: We've been having this conversation for years, and I have asserted many times that God knows the end from the beginning. So why are you saying this? Regarding the future existing or not existing, what do you mean? I guess you're asserting that you believe the future exists, whereas I don't. What do you mean by this? Please answer this, as I'm very interested in what you meant by this.

M:You interpret God knowing the "end from the beginning" differently than I do.

That's true. So you can fairly state this. However, for you to state that I don't believe God knows the end from the beginning is surely not. It was just as fair for me to say that you don't believe that God knows the end from the beginning, if the criterion for making such a statement is that you interpret what this means differently than I do.

Quote:
You believe it means He knows all the different ways the future can play out but doesn't know precisely which one will play out.

No, this is wrong. I believe it means that He knows the end from the beginning. That is, say you choose a certain path. You are in the beginning of that path. God knows the end of that path. The idea has to do with blessings and cursings, where God urges taking the right path, because He knows the consequences of each path.

Quote:
Whereas, I believe it means God stands at the end of time and looks backward to the beginning of time and knows everything in between. He knows exactly how the future will play out because He exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously. Human history has already played out. Everybody from Adam to the last person has already lived and died. They are already spending eternity in the New Earth.

In this case our view that time is sequential is an illusion, unless you think that time was sequential for God too, but He's already lived through it all already, and we're simply repeating what God has already experienced. Is this your idea?

If God is standing at the end of time, then the future has already been settled. You don't see a problem with this?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128158
10/15/10 12:17 AM
10/15/10 12:17 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
I also believe time happens sequentially. It's just that I also believe eternity has already played out and God alone knows "the end from the beginning". I'm glad you think my view of God and time is logical (assuming the assumption is true).

I didn't say I thought your view of God and time is logical. What I said was:

Quote:
The real question that needs to be considered is, what is reality? Is it the case that the past, present, and future really exist simultaneously? If this is the case, then I agree with what you're writing; that is, what you are writing would logically follow from this assumption. However, I don't agree that the past, present, and future exist simultaneously; I believe they are sequential.

I said *if* it is the case that the past, present, and future really exist simultaneously, then what you say would logically follow (i.e., that God experiences the past, present, and future simultaneously, and sees the future like history).

Is it your view that the past, present and future really exist simultaneously? If not, then my comment about the rest logically following doesn't apply.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128159
10/15/10 12:18 AM
10/15/10 12:18 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Our perception of reality is that the decisions we make make a difference -- that is, they effect the future.

This is true. And God knowing the future like history has no bearing on it.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128160
10/15/10 12:22 AM
10/15/10 12:22 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
We've been discussing the possibility that the future is fixed (which I've referred to as "single-threaded", or that it is open ("multi-threaded"). I've made the following argument:

1.God knows things as they are.
2.Therefore, if God knows the future to be fixed (single-threaded), then the future is fixed (single-threaded).

Now we all agree that we experience the future as open, or multi-threaded. That is, from our perspective, we can alter the future. And this is the real issue were are dealing with. Can our decisions alter the future, or impact what God will do?

If the future is fixed (single-threaded), the answer is "no." Nothing we can do can alter the future, nor impact God's decisions, which are already set in stone, as God has already taken into account what we will do. If this is the case then:

1.We cannot hasten or delay Christ's coming.
2.We do not have free will, under the libertarian definition of the word.

Free will can be defined in different ways. One way is that we are free to do what we please. This is a less restrictive definition, and the definition that Calvinists use. One can read Edwards or Luther's work on the bondage of the will (both on line) to get a sense of the arguments involved. Basically the idea is that defining "free will" this way is compatible with a fixed future.

However, if we define "free will" to involve the ability to alter the future, then there is a logical inconsistency between this concept of "free will" and a fixed, or single-threaded, future.

What it comes down to is, is our perception that our decisions make a difference really true? Or is it merely an illusion based on incomplete knowledge?

There is also the question of why God would create a being He was certain would sin. If God set into motion a course of action He was certain would result in sin, how can we maintain that God is not responsible for it?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128161
10/15/10 12:25 AM
10/15/10 12:25 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
T:Our perception of reality is that the decisions we make make a difference -- that is, they effect the future.

M:This is true. And God knowing the future like history has no bearing on it.

If the future is already settled, we can't change it. If God knows the future is settled, then it is settled. His knowing it is settled has a bearing on things in that what God knows corresponds to reality. Do you understand this point? If so, please repeat it in your own words. I keep saying this over and over again. I have no indication that you have understood the point. Please give me some indication that you have. Every time you repeat that God's knowing the future like history doesn't change it, or words to that effect, that sounds to me like, "Tom, I don't understand what you're saying." So I would like some indication that you are understanding what I'm saying.

The point to me seems to be simple, which is that what God knows is what reality is.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128162
10/15/10 12:52 AM
10/15/10 12:52 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: Do you think anybody here believes that God's knowing the future to be a certain way changes it?

T: God's knowing the future to be like history would "make" it be single-threaded in the sense that the only way God could know it to be like history is if it were like history. Now since history is single-threaded, that would make the future single-threaded as well.

M: But God can, and does, know the future like history without making it single-threaded or multi-threaded. That's the point.

T: No! That's not the point, and never has been the point, and has nothing to do with any relevant point. One can only wonder why you keep repeating this. If God knows the future to be like history, then the future *is* like history. *That's* the point!

". . . without making it single-threaded or multi-threaded" as opposed to what you wrote "that would make the future single-threaded."

Quote:
M: Time unfolds (things happen sequentially) as if God knows nothing about the future. You appear to agree with this.

T: I don't even think this makes sense. Why would God's knowing nothing about the future impact whether or not things happen sequentially?

It wouldn't. And neither does His knowing the future like history. You seem to agree with this.

Quote:
M: He knows the end from the beginning. I realize you believe this is impossible because you believe the future doesn't exist.

T: We've been having this conversation for years, and I have asserted many times that God knows the end from the beginning. So why are you saying this? Regarding the future existing or not existing, what do you mean? I guess you're asserting that you believe the future exists, whereas I don't. What do you mean by this? Please answer this, as I'm very interested in what you meant by this.

M: You interpret God knowing the "end from the beginning" differently than I do.

T: That's true. So you can fairly state this. However, for you to state that I don't believe God knows the end from the beginning is surely not. It was just as fair for me to say that you don't believe that God knows the end from the beginning, if the criterion for making such a statement is that you interpret what this means differently than I do.

Okay.

Quote:
M: You believe it means He knows all the different ways the future can play out but doesn't know precisely which one will play out.

T: No, this is wrong. I believe it means that He knows the end from the beginning. That is, say you choose a certain path. You are in the beginning of that path. God knows the end of that path. The idea has to do with blessings and cursings, where God urges taking the right path, because He knows the consequences of each path.

How can God know the end of a particular path if He doesn't know the precise choices they will make thereafter? For example, if they make an unexpected choice it would place them on an entirely different path.

Quote:
M: Whereas, I believe it means God stands at the end of time and looks backward to the beginning of time and knows everything in between. He knows exactly how the future will play out because He exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously. Human history has already played out. Everybody from Adam to the last person has already lived and died. They are already spending eternity in the New Earth.

T: In this case our view that time is sequential is an illusion, unless you think that time was sequential for God too, but He's already lived through it all already, and we're simply repeating what God has already experienced. Is this your idea? If God is standing at the end of time, then the future has already been settled. You don't see a problem with this?

Since God exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously "all of the above" is true. In other words, He experiences time sequentially just like we do. It's just that He does it simultaneously with everyone who has ever lived, who is alive presently, and who has yet to live. None of this means the future is settled. None of this means we cannot make choices that impact the future.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128163
10/15/10 12:58 AM
10/15/10 12:58 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I said *if* it is the case that the past, present, and future really exist simultaneously, then what you say would logically follow (i.e., that God experiences the past, present, and future simultaneously, and sees the future like history). Is it your view that the past, present and future really exist simultaneously?

Yes.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128164
10/15/10 01:12 AM
10/15/10 01:12 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T:Our perception of reality is that the decisions we make make a difference -- that is, they effect the future.

M: This is true. And God knowing the future like history has no bearing on it.

T: If the future is already settled, we can't change it. If God knows the future is settled, then it is settled. His knowing it is settled has a bearing on things in that what God knows corresponds to reality. Do you understand this point? If so, please repeat it in your own words. . . The point to me seems to be simple, which is that what God knows is what reality is.

The reason God knows "the end from the beginning" (please insert my definition) is because the end of human history has come and gone. Time has already played out sequentially just as it always does. God knowing so doesn't make the future settled, nor does it mean we can't make choices that impact the future. Why would you think so? That is, why do you think God knowing the future like history makes it fixed, settled, or so that we can't make choices that impact the future? Do you also think it means we cannot make choices that result in an outcome different than the one that in reality has already happened? The reality is, to answer your question, time has already played out.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128165
10/15/10 01:23 AM
10/15/10 01:23 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
There is also the question of why God would create a being He was certain would sin. If God set into motion a course of action He was certain would result in sin, how can we maintain that God is not responsible for it?

God didn't create sinners. The fact He knew exactly who would sin and die in the lake of fire does not mean He created sinners. Nor does it mean He is responsible for the fact they sinned and will die.

According to you, God knew exactly who might sin and die and He chose to create them anyhow. Why didn't He just choose not to create them and only create the ones He knew wouldn't sin?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128169
10/15/10 04:43 AM
10/15/10 04:43 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

M: But God can, and does, know the future like history without making it single-threaded or multi-threaded. That's the point.

T: No! That's not the point, and never has been the point, and has nothing to do with any relevant point. One can only wonder why you keep repeating this. If God knows the future to be like history, then the future *is* like history. *That's* the point!

M:". . . without making it single-threaded or multi-threaded" as opposed to what you wrote "that would make the future single-threaded."

I actually wrote "that would 'make' the future single-threaded." The "make" is in quotes. Please reconsider what I wrote taking that into consideration. (i.e., please consider the significance of "make" being in quotes).

Also you ignored, or passed over, the point:

Quote:
If God knows the future to be like history, then the future *is* like history. *That's* the point!

Do you understand what's being said here? If so, please repeat it in your own words. I want to be clear that the point is being understood, as I've been trying to communicate this point for quite some time. Thank you.

Quote:
M: Time unfolds (things happen sequentially) as if God knows nothing about the future. You appear to agree with this.

T: I don't even think this makes sense. Why would God's knowing nothing about the future impact whether or not things happen sequentially?

M:It wouldn't. And neither does His knowing the future like history. You seem to agree with this.

If God knew the future to be like history, that would mean the future would be like history, which is to say, single-threaded.

Quote:
M: You believe it means He knows all the different ways the future can play out but doesn't know precisely which one will play out.

T: No, this is wrong. I believe it means that He knows the end from the beginning. That is, say you choose a certain path. You are in the beginning of that path. God knows the end of that path. The idea has to do with blessings and cursings, where God urges taking the right path, because He knows the consequences of each path.

M:How can God know the end of a particular path if He doesn't know the precise choices they will make thereafter? For example, if they make an unexpected choice it would place them on an entirely different path.

That's the whole point! God wants them to choose a different path if they've chosen a poor one. So He warns them. Here's Jer. 18:

Quote:
7At one moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom, that I will pluck up and break down and destroy it, 8but if that nation, concerning which I have spoken, turns from its evil, I will change my mind about the disaster that I intended to bring on it. 9And at another moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom that I will build and plant it, 10but if it does evil in my sight, not listening to my voice, then I will change my mind about the good that I had intended to do to it. 11Now, therefore, say to the people of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem: Thus says the Lord: Look, I am a potter shaping evil against you and devising a plan against you. Turn now, all of you from your evil way, and amend your ways and your doings.

God declares the future not to demonstrate that it is settled, but for the reverse purpose! The Israelites were thinking that prophecy is unconditional, settled. They argued, "What does it matter what we do, since it's been prophecied," thinking that this meant things were settled, that the future was single-threaded, and God was telling them what would happen in the way He would if the future were settled, or single-threaded. But God explained to them that His prophecies are conditional, and He was telling them what would happen to warn them, so they would repent.

Quote:
MM:Since God exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously "all of the above" is true. In other words, He experiences time sequentially just like we do.

You said He's standing at the end of time, so clearly He doesn't experience time sequentially as we do, since we haven't experienced that yet. Just how do you think He got to the end?

Quote:
It's just that He does it simultaneously with everyone who has ever lived, who is alive presently, and who has yet to live.

But MM, it should be obvious that if what you are asserting were true, that would mean that could NOT be anything sequential for God! Think it through. If God were experiencing every moment in time as if it were the present, there could be nothing sequential for God. He would be experiencing it all at once! This is what "simultaneously" means.

Quote:
None of this means the future is settled. None of this means we cannot make choices that impact the future.

If God knows the future to be settled, then that means it must be settled. Why? Because God can't be incorrect in what He knows. Isn't this clear?

If the future is settled, then our choices, by definition, cannot impact it.

Page 78 of 103 1 2 76 77 78 79 80 102 103

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!