HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,844 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 101 of 103 1 2 99 100 101 102 103
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: kland] #129021
11/19/10 04:30 PM
11/19/10 04:30 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
I also came across these quotations:
Quote:
Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own. {LDE 39.2}
It is the privilege of every Christian, not only to look for, but to hasten the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Were all who profess His name bearing fruit to His glory, how quickly the whole world would be sown with the seed of the gospel. Quickly the last great harvest would be ripened, and Christ would come to gather the precious grain.--COL 69 (1900). {LDE 39.3}

By giving the gospel to the world it is in our power to hasten our Lord's return. We are not only to look for but to hasten the coming of the day of God (2 Peter 3:12, margin).--DA 633 (1898). {LDE 39.4}

He has put it in our power, through cooperation with Him, to bring this scene of misery to an end.--Ed 264 (1903). {LDE 39.5}
Questions to ask oneself, is it a privilege to hasten or is it a privilege to delude oneself.
Is it our power to hasten, or is it our power to imagine only.
Did He put it in our power to bring this misery to an end, or is it out of our power.
Are we only illusioned pawns in a charade.

If one believes that we cannot change a fixed date, a fixed future, a future that has already played out, or one and not the other (?!), then it would be understandable how one thinks Ellen White was deluded or deluding others, and it's understandable how the referred to atheist feels.

I suppose one could prefer to substitute in some other word's definition for "hasten" and "power"....

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: vastergotland] #129049
11/20/10 04:07 PM
11/20/10 04:07 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: vastergotland
V: Ellen writes that it was certain to God that sin would rise and that it would affect humanity. She does not write that it must happen through Lucifer and Adam. At least not in the two provided quotes.

M: I agree with you that Ellen wrote God was certain sin would happen and affect humanity. As to knowing it would certainly involve Lucifer, do you agree Ellen believed "Lucifer" and "Satan" are the same being? "From the beginning, God and Christ knew of the apostasy of Satan, and of the fall of man through the deceptive power of the apostate."

V: You are basically asking me here to read Ellens mind and intentions and through that devising state that I am wrong and you are right. Why would I want to speculate to my own disadvantage?

I'm satisfied we agree Ellen believed "that it was certain to God that sin would rise and that it would affect humanity." Whether or not we agree she believed Lucifer and Satan are the same angel isn't as important to me.

Just curious, though, is it possible Ellen had some other angel in mind, other than Lucifer, when she said, "From the beginning, God and Christ knew of the apostasy of Satan, and of the fall of man through the deceptive power of the apostate"?

"Thus it was that Lucifer, "the light bearer," the sharer of God's glory, the attendant of His throne, by transgression became Satan, "the adversary" of God and holy beings and the destroyer of those whom Heaven had committed to his guidance and guardianship. {PP 39.2}

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #129050
11/20/10 04:19 PM
11/20/10 04:19 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
M: It appears you have mistaken me for someone who believes the future is fixed.

K: I had in mind someone who believed the future had already played out. But glad to see you are in agreement God was NOT 100% certain He would have come over 100 years ago.

M: Apparently you have me mistaken for someone who believes God does not know the precise day and hour Jesus will return.

But not mistaken for someone who recognizes contradictions.

What contradiction? Jesus said, "But of that day and hour knoweth . . . my Father only." Ellen wrote, "The exact time of the second coming of the Son of man is God's mystery. {DA 632.4} Neither Jesus nor Ellen could have stated it more plainly. Eventually God will announce it. "Soon we heard the voice of God like many waters, which gave us the day and hour of Jesus' coming. {CET 58.1}

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #129051
11/20/10 05:17 PM
11/20/10 05:17 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M:Time unfolds, plays out normally and naturally. The future is wide open. We are totally, completely, absolutely free to choose as we please. Just like the Bible records, reflects the outcomes of choices people were free to make in the past, so too, prophecy records, reflects the outcomes of choices people were free to make in the future.

T: You're contradicting yourself. First you right the the future is "wide open." Do you also believe the past is "wide open"? Or is it fixed? You're obviously equating past and future with your used of tenses here ("the outcomes of choices people were free to make in the future").

M: Nevertheless, God interacts with us in the present. He cannot go back and interact with us in the past.

T: This doesn't make sense. According to your belief, God exists simultaneously in the past, present and future. For you to speak of Him "going back" can only mean you forgot your view. He's already there, under your view.

M: Nor can He go forward and interact with us in the future.

T: Same problem.

M: His experience in time and space has zero affect on our experience in time and space.

T: If one can reason from cause to effect, and understands logic, one should be able to see why understanding how God experiences things would have an impact on our experience.

M: It doesn't appear you are grasping the reality of it.

T: I think it's quite evident that for you to make the assertion that how God experiences time and space has zero effect on us, you're not grasping something.

We exist in the present. We cannot coexist in the past or the future. God, on the other hand, exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously. However, since we exist in the present, He can only interact with us in the present. Again, His experience in the past and the future has zero affect on our experience in the present for the simple reason we do not exist in the past or the future. Your unwillingness to believe it is true doesn’t make it false.

Quote:
T: Also you have no way to meet the problem of evil (i.e., the problem of the existence of evil). Why would God prefer to create a being He was certain would sin over one He was certain wouldn't? You have no answer to that.

M: That Lucifer chose to sin and rebel against God is an unexplainable mystery.

T: This isn't the question asked.

M: That God knew he certainly would is not a mystery.

T: Nor this.

M: That God chose to create Lucifer even though He knew he would certainly sin and rebel and die has not yet been explained.

T: Of course not. There's no way to explain it. It doesn't make sense. A good being who hates evil would not make such a choice. Why would He? (<== no answer)

Quote:
"From the beginning, God and Christ knew of the apostasy of Satan, and of the fall of man through the deceptive power of the apostate. God did not ordain that sin should exist, but He foresaw its existence, and made provision to meet the terrible emergency." {DA 22.2}

Sin is a mysterious, unexplainable thing. There was no reason for its existence; to seek to explain it is to seek to give a reason for it, and that would be to justify it. Sin appeared in a perfect universe, a thing that was shown to be inexcusable and exceeding sinful. The reason of its inception or development was never explained and never can be, even at the last great day when the judgment shall sit and the books be opened, when every man shall be judged according to the deeds done in the body, when the sins of God's repentant, sanctified people shall be heaped upon the scapegoat, the originator of sin. {ST, April 28, 1890 par. 2}

T: Certain if God set into a course of action He was certain would result in sin, the above can't be true. That is, this: “The reason of its inception or development was never explained and never can be”. Here's how: God set into a motion a course of action which could only result in sin. Easy!

You believe God created beings He knew might sin and rebel and die. If God hadn’t created them, however, the chances of rebellion and death would have been zero. And, of course, He was free to not create them. The fact God chose to create them, even though He knew the chances they would rebel and die was greater than zero, makes it clear that He alone made it possible for rebellion and death to happen.

Quote:
M: You act horrified at the idea God created FMAs He knew would certainly sin. And yet you have steadily avoided addressing the fact God has created trillions of FMAs He knew would certainly sin.

T: Avoided? This hasn't even been brought up before this. I disagree with your idea.

M: You and I are two of them.

T: God did not create sinners. God created an unfallen race, the parents of which fell, and we were begotten from them. This is a very different thing than that God created sinners.

God was not obligated to grant life to you and I. The fact He did is no different than creating beings He knew would sin. With this insight in mind, please consider the fact God gave life to people like Hitler and Hussein even though He knew they would sin.

Quote:
T: That God took a risk you have no answer to. How EW 125 is related you have no answer to. That we can hasten Christ's coming you have no answer to.

M: Jesus "could have sinned; He could have fallen, but not for one moment was there in Him an evil propensity. {13MR 18.1} Even though He knew He would never choose to sin, the risk was, nonetheless, real.

T: Another contradiction. In just one sentence this time! Like saying, "If I roll this die, I'm sure it won't come up with the number 12435, but, nevertheless, the risk is real that it will."

Do you shoot craps or something? You’re always comparing things to dice and games of chance. The fact Jesus “could have sinned” implies risk. The fact “not for one moment was there in Him an evil propensity” implies He knew He would never choose to sin. The fact Jesus only expressed it in positive terms implies He knew He would succeed. The fact you have never posted an inspired statement where Jesus expressed doubt about it implies you know He never did.

Quote:
M: In the context of EW 125 Ellen describes the holy angels rejoicing because Jesus said He would certainly succeed at saving the human race. "He then made known to the angelic choir that a way of escape had been made for lost man; that He had been pleading with His Father, and had obtained permission to give His own life as a ransom for the race, to bear their sins, and take the sentence of death upon Himself, thus opening a way whereby they might, through the merits of His blood, find pardon for past transgressions, and by obedience be brought back to the garden from which they were driven. Then they could again have access to the glorious, immortal fruit of the tree of life to which they had now forfeited all right. {EW 126.1}

T: This is dodging the problem. The problem is, as has been explained many times now, with the meeting between God and Christ. *That's* what doesn't make sense. If you don't understand the problem, I can repost the posts which describe it.

There appears to be two problems - 1) The fact the Father and the Son met three times to agree on implementing the plan of salvation, and 2) the fact both of them knew Jesus would succeed. You want to know, Why would they confer about it if they already knew the outcome? Again, their knowledge of the future has zero affect on how things play out in the present. Their knowledge of the future merely reflects how things played out.

Quote:
M: That we can hasten or hinder the second coming of Christ is true.

T: Not if there's a fixed date for Christ's coming.

M: But this insight does not imply God does not know the precise day and hour of Christ's second advent.

T: Of course it does. This is easy to see.

1.If God knows the exact date, then there's an exact date to know.
2.If there's an exact date to know, then there's an exact date.
3.If there's an exact date, the date is fixed.
4.If the date is fixed, it can't be changed.
5.If it can't be changed, it can't be hastened.

You really don’t understand my point, do you? God’s knowledge of the day and hour of Jesus’ return merely reflects how things played out.

Quote:
M: I am 100% certain Jesus was 100% certain He would "rise again" and would "come again". I am also 100% certain God was 100% certain which FMAs would certainly sin and die.

T: I've been 100% certain about things I later discovered were incorrect.

M: You have yet to explain why you believe "I will come again" is unconditional and why you believe "I will rise again" was conditional. Both promises were made before Jesus died on the cross.

T: I'll have to look at what you originally said. I'll see if I misread it.

Okay.

Quote:
M: Nor have you cited situations where Jesus very nearly failed.

T: In Gethsemane, He sweat blood. I think EGW wrote something like "human trembled in the balance." I think the cross was even more difficult.

M: If, as you say, He was at risk of failing, then surely there were times He very nearly failed.

T: No, this is bad logic. Would you like a counter example to demonstrate why?

Are you implying Gethsemane represents a time when Jesus very nearly failed? If so, please elaborate. If not, then do you agree with me Jesus never even got close to failing?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: vastergotland] #129052
11/20/10 05:23 PM
11/20/10 05:23 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: It appears you have mistaken me for someone who believes the future is fixed.

K: I had in mind someone who believed the future had already played out. But glad to see you are in agreement God was NOT 100% certain He would have come over 100 years ago.

M: Apparently you have me mistaken for someone who believes God does not know the precise day and hour Jesus will return.

V: How about being recognised as a person who actually believes God when He says that certain conditions will have one result while other conditions will have different results and that it is up to us which conditions we strive to achieve? See Ez 18

Again, God's knowledge of the future merely reflects how things played out. Before things play out, we are free to choose as we please.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: kland] #129053
11/20/10 05:29 PM
11/20/10 05:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
I also came across these quotations:
Quote:
Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own. {LDE 39.2}
It is the privilege of every Christian, not only to look for, but to hasten the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Were all who profess His name bearing fruit to His glory, how quickly the whole world would be sown with the seed of the gospel. Quickly the last great harvest would be ripened, and Christ would come to gather the precious grain.--COL 69 (1900). {LDE 39.3}

By giving the gospel to the world it is in our power to hasten our Lord's return. We are not only to look for but to hasten the coming of the day of God (2 Peter 3:12, margin).--DA 633 (1898). {LDE 39.4}

He has put it in our power, through cooperation with Him, to bring this scene of misery to an end.--Ed 264 (1903). {LDE 39.5}
Questions to ask oneself, is it a privilege to hasten or is it a privilege to delude oneself.
Is it our power to hasten, or is it our power to imagine only.
Did He put it in our power to bring this misery to an end, or is it out of our power.
Are we only illusioned pawns in a charade.

If one believes that we cannot change a fixed date, a fixed future, a future that has already played out, or one and not the other (?!), then it would be understandable how one thinks Ellen White was deluded or deluding others, and it's understandable how the referred to atheist feels.

I suppose one could prefer to substitute in some other word's definition for "hasten" and "power"....

God's knowledge of the future merely reflects how things played out. Like watching a rerun. You seem to think this means we are not truly free to choose as we please? Since God is merely reporting the facts after the fact why would anyone conclude no one is truly free to choose as they please?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #129059
11/20/10 07:24 PM
11/20/10 07:24 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
V: Ellen writes that it was certain to God that sin would rise and that it would affect humanity. She does not write that it must happen through Lucifer and Adam. At least not in the two provided quotes.

M: I agree with you that Ellen wrote God was certain sin would happen and affect humanity. As to knowing it would certainly involve Lucifer, do you agree Ellen believed "Lucifer" and "Satan" are the same being? "From the beginning, God and Christ knew of the apostasy of Satan, and of the fall of man through the deceptive power of the apostate."

V: You are basically asking me here to read Ellens mind and intentions and through that devising state that I am wrong and you are right. Why would I want to speculate to my own disadvantage?

I'm satisfied we agree Ellen believed "that it was certain to God that sin would rise and that it would affect humanity." Whether or not we agree she believed Lucifer and Satan are the same angel isn't as important to me.

Just curious, though, is it possible Ellen had some other angel in mind, other than Lucifer, when she said, "From the beginning, God and Christ knew of the apostasy of Satan, and of the fall of man through the deceptive power of the apostate"?
I am not particularily concerned with what Ellen might have thought about a question where the real point is what God would have thought.
Quote:

"Thus it was that Lucifer, "the light bearer," the sharer of God's glory, the attendant of His throne, by transgression became Satan, "the adversary" of God and holy beings and the destroyer of those whom Heaven had committed to his guidance and guardianship. {PP 39.2}

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: vastergotland] #129066
11/21/10 01:24 AM
11/21/10 01:24 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thomas, do you believe Lucifer became Satan when he rebelled against God? Comparing the following two passages make it clear to me they are. What do you think?

Revelation
12:7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
12:8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.
12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

Isaiah
14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! [how] art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
14:13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
14:14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
14:15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.

Also, you said "the real point is what God would have thought." What are you referring to?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #129072
11/21/10 07:21 AM
11/21/10 07:21 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
God's knowledge of the future merely reflects how things played out. Like watching a rerun. You seem to think this means we are not truly free to choose as we please?

Seeming to think that the characters in a re-run aren't able to do something differently. This is what you're asking?

And just how do you think that one can do something different than what one has already done?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #129073
11/21/10 07:23 AM
11/21/10 07:23 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

T:But not mistaken for someone who recognizes contradictions.

M:What contradiction?

The one right above your question. Compare the first statement you stated with the second.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Page 101 of 103 1 2 99 100 101 102 103

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!