HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 15
Rick H 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,919 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Wilderness Skills [Re: JAK] #130379
01/24/11 05:10 AM
01/24/11 05:10 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
JAK, let me know how your fire plow experiments with local materials turn out. As mentioned above, Cottonwood works. Back in the day, native tribes traded for materials not found locally. Don't know how widely distributed sotol was or if it ever made it into Canada. However, related species, Agave, grows in Canada and works like sotol.

Also, what else are you interested in as it relates to old school outdoor skills?

PS - Funny you like lighters so much. Thought you were more old school than that?

Re: Wilderness Skills [Re: Mountain Man] #130381
01/24/11 05:33 AM
01/24/11 05:33 AM
J
JAK  Offline OP
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
PS - Funny you like lighters so much. Thought you were more old school than that?

Yeah, your right. Actually, I use Zippos, but the fluid evaporates over the long term, (the flint will always spark and the cotton makes a great firestarter); so I have most pockets and packs stuffed with bics. Ya gotta be practical, too.

I just think that technology is taking away our ability to think and learn, and to develope skills. I navigate better with map and compass (Silva TD15) than any GPS, because it gives me a feel for the land, and I never worry about batteries. On the other hand, the LED headlamp was the greatest invention since high-carbon steel.

Speaking of steel, modern steels far out-perform old steels. Better edge-holding characteristics and easier sharpening. But, a good drop-forged tomahawk is a superior tool, and they've been around for 200 years. (Give or take)

I've never had a problem with wearing cotton; most of my outdoor work was in jeans. But I love wool, which, in my opinon, outperforms all hi-tec fabrics. Good quality wool won't itch, and will out-last the purchaser.

"All that is Gold does not Glitter, Not all who Wander are Lost." (J.R.R.T.)
Re: Wilderness Skills [Re: JAK] #130384
01/24/11 03:44 PM
01/24/11 03:44 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
How long have you stayed out practicing survival skills? I started practicing survival skills in Colorado at 15. But the longest I stayed out was a week at a time. I joined the US Air Force when I was 20 to teach pilots how to survive. I trained for a solid year staying out for a month at a time. Then for 7 years we stayed out for a week every other 3 weeks. About 3 times a year during those 7 years they would surprise me with a week long solo survival exercise. Out of the blue they would blind fold me and truck me to the wilderness with a list of objectives and a week to get it done. Most of these outings happened in Northeast Washington state near the Canadian border. All they would give us to survive was a pocket knife and a metal match. Normally objectives included catching a deer and making an article of clothing, also a weapon, shelter, friction fires using different materials, edible plants, water, etc. I've also had the privilege through the Air Force and through Wilderness Way of learning how to survive in the desert, the tropics, the arctic, the ocean, and as a prisoner of war. I've been teaching survival and rescue skills for 31 years full time except for 6 years when I served as a pastor (during which time I only taught one survival class per month).

If it sounds like I'm bragging I'm sorry. The reason I shared my experiences is that you can get a feel for my background. Hopefully it will help us discuss different survival skills. Do you mind sharing the extent of your outdoor experiences?

Re: Wilderness Skills [Re: Mountain Man] #130426
01/26/11 02:26 PM
01/26/11 02:26 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
Then for 7 years we stayed out for a week every other 3 weeks.

This sounds like once every 6 weeks.

Quote:
Normally objectives included ... friction fires using different materials, edible plants, water, etc.

That's impressive, making friction fires using water! smile

Saw your video on making fire fine. Cool. Had some problems bringing up all the snow cave photos, but am sure the problem was on my end.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Wilderness Skills [Re: Tom] #130430
01/26/11 04:18 PM
01/26/11 04:18 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Ah, you noticed my poor sentence structure. LOL. Good job. Actually, it one week every third week. And, I attempted to make a fire out of "water" by using a piece of ice I shaped like a magnifying glass. But it didn't work with tinder found in the woods. This guy got it to work with charred cotton cloth.

Last edited by Mountain Man; 01/26/11 04:20 PM.
Re: Wilderness Skills [Re: Mountain Man] #130434
01/26/11 04:37 PM
01/26/11 04:37 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
And, I attempted to make a fire out of "water" by using a piece of ice I shaped like a magnifying glass.

Good thinking. You didn't try rubbing the ice together?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Wilderness Skills [Re: Tom] #130439
01/26/11 04:57 PM
01/26/11 04:57 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
ROFL

Re: Wilderness Skills [Re: Mountain Man] #130599
02/03/11 01:50 AM
02/03/11 01:50 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Northeast WA would be a fine place for survival. I love the northwest, almost any part of it, but east of the Cascades especially. In that area there would be plenty to find in terms of edible plants, depending on exactly what biome and season one might find himself in. Some potential candidates: thimble berries (yum!), saskatoons, water cress, Lamb's quarters, stinging nettle (survival rations!), thistles (ugh!), rose hips (not bad, good source of Vit. C), dandelion leaves, puff-ball mushrooms (I don't know the scientific name), choke cherries, etc. Winter time would be tougher, but often the cherries/berries and rose hips can be found in "dehydrated" forms.

I like a Swiss "multi-tool" knife. You'd be surprised how much that little saw blade can do. Naturally, a longer saw is nice, but when you are in a pinch, even a little one can do the job, albeit with less efficiency. Generally, when one is out "surviving," there is more time on one's hands to begin with.

Ok...so, I'm not nearly so experienced as Mountain Man, but I have done snow camping, caving, backpacking, snow shoeing up to a cabin in several feet of powder, etc. I have guided a group of young people for a three-day, 18-mile backpack trip. I have gone solo miles into the wilderness for a week, taking enough food for a couple of meals or so.

As I do not eat meat, I would find it very difficult to kill animals. I'm afraid I would likely exhaust all other possibilities and be facing absolute starvation before I'd eat much more than grasshoppers and ants.

I agree with JAK in the most important survival tool being one's mind and knowledge/skills. Many people do not survive when unintentionally in a predicament that requires such skills, simply for lack of good judgment. I've read countless stories in the news of people who panicked or perished for lack of basic survival techniques. Have all the tools you want, survival will still be difficult without proper understanding. That is what training is for, and why Mountain Man has a good job instructing these skills. smile

God bless,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Wilderness Skills [Re: Green Cochoa] #130603
02/03/11 03:27 PM
02/03/11 03:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
GC, it's good to see you again. You've been greatly missed. Hope you can stay around awhile.

Re: Wilderness Skills [Re: Mountain Man] #130605
02/03/11 03:54 PM
02/03/11 03:54 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
GC, I agree with you regarding Northeast WA. I spent 12 years in Spokane teaching survival and rescue. Loved it. Jesus has blessed me with being able to teach survival and rescue throughout the western hemisphere from Alaska to Florida, Newfoundland to Patagonia, Hawaii to Caribbean, and many places between. Last year I got to practice survival skills in the Philippines for about 3 weeks. Bamboo is amazing! Of all the places I've been privileged to teach survival and rescue my favorite is the Sierra Nevada mountains in CA.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!