HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,850 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Re: Shut-door theology- Who came up with it and how? [Re: Mountain Man] #130728
02/09/11 02:32 PM
02/09/11 02:32 PM
Rick H  Offline
OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Colin, yes, I also believe Jesus' ministry was expanded in 1844 to include the MHP. The veil between the HP and MHP was drawn aside making, in essence, one apartment where Jesus now performs the functions of the HP and the MHP. In other words, we are still free to confess our sins, partake of the showbread, the candlestick, and the altar of incense. In reality, though, the ministry of the MHP pertains to the dead. It will not include the living until the USA forms an image to the beast and begins enforcing the mark of the beast.

And who is to say with the government control coming on all aspects of our lives that it isnt set up right now.....

Re: Shut-door theology- Who came up with it and how? [Re: Rick H] #130751
02/10/11 06:37 PM
02/10/11 06:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Richard, I see you changed your profile name.

What do you mean by "set up right now"? Do you mean to say the USA has already formed an image to the beast? Ellen wrote:

Quote:
In order for the United States to form an image of the beast, the religious power must so control the civil government that the authority of the state will also be employed by the church to accomplish her own ends. {GC 443.2}

It was apostasy that led the early church to seek the aid of the civil government, and this prepared the way for the development of the papacy--the beast. Said Paul: "There" shall "come a falling away, . . . and that man of sin be revealed." 2 Thessalonians 2:3. So apostasy in the church will prepare the way for the image to the beast. {GC 443.4}

The "image to the beast" represents that form of apostate Protestantism which will be developed when the Protestant churches shall seek the aid of the civil power for the enforcement of their dogmas. {GC 445.2}

But in the very act of enforcing a religious duty by secular power, the churches would themselves form an image to the beast; hence the enforcement of Sundaykeeping in the United States would be an enforcement of the worship of the beast and his image. {GC 448.3}

It appears that the USA will fulfill the "image to the beast" prophecy when she begins enforcing Sunday Laws.

Re: Shut-door theology- Who came up with it and how? [Re: Rosangela] #130768
02/11/11 10:25 AM
02/11/11 10:25 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
As Colin said earlier, the Shut Door teaching was derived from a March 24, 1849 vision of EGW recorded in EW 42-45. In many ways it was partially fulfilled as stated because those who refused to advance in the sanctuary light following the 1844 disappointment were not able to understand the further, sanctuary-based messages, including the Ten Commandments and the Sabbath truths, all leading to the understanding of the 3 Angels Message. Most notably in all of this was William Miller.

I think was is throwing people off here is a false belief that all statements in a prophecy must be fulfilled or else the entire prophecy, namely its prior claimed fulfillments were all false. That is all rooted in a unbiblical understanding of ‘God and the Future’ which does not allow for God to begin to actually, literally fulfill a prophecy, but then halt this and postpone it or even completely reset it, if/when “non expected” circumstances occur “on the ground” (cf. Isa 5:1-7; see also this post for more on the Biblical ‘Foreplanning View of God and the Future’).

So EGW was right on track with her claimed fulfillments, (including the Shut Door), until the Advent believers morphed into a Laodicean state as cited by EGW in 1851 (see Letter #2, 1851 {7BC 966.5}). As she says, Final Events and the Second Coming could have occurred then had that generation been faithful in their Gospel duties. Indeed it is around 1851/1852 that a shift in the previous Shut Door understanding was beginning to manifest itself.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Shut-door theology- Who came up with it and how? [Re: NJK Project] #130781
02/11/11 07:16 PM
02/11/11 07:16 PM
cephalopod  Offline
Active Member 2014
Washington, USA
The two people who "came up with it" were George Storrs & Sam Snow. It was called "The True Midnight Cry and Shut door". As Mountain Man said - S.O.P. confirmed Storrs and Snow's schema.

Important to note that Sister White never invented any of our doctrines, others brought forth doctrines and Sister White was given the ability to define truth, where faith and morals are concerned.

Re: Shut-door theology- Who came up with it and how? [Re: cephalopod] #130788
02/11/11 09:21 PM
02/11/11 09:21 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Originally Posted By: cephalopod
The two people who "came up with it" were George Storrs & Sam Snow. It was called "The True Midnight Cry and Shut door". As Mountain Man said - S.O.P. confirmed Storrs and Snow's schema.

Do you have a specific bibliographic reference for their findings (e.g., in the Words of Adventist Pioneers in the EGW writings CD-ROM). My search of “shut door” under the works of these two returned nothing.

Important to note that Sister White never invented any of our doctrines, others brought forth doctrines and Sister White was given the ability to define truth, where faith and morals are concerned.

Since, as pointed out and referenced earlier by Rosangela, the Millerites’ Shut Door teaching (Parable of 10 Virgins) was different from the Early Adventist’s one (Holy Place in Sanctuary) then, did this still applicable teaching not originate with EGW’s vision in 1849 (EW 42-45)?

Also, as stated here our understanding of the Third Angel’s Message revolving around the Sabbath was first revealed to EGW in a vision. Though not a “doctrine” per se, but a prophetic interpretation/understanding it is still quite close and the focal point of SDA eschatology. I personally that God revealed this understanding through in order to keep this faithful Remnant on the right course, as they had proven faithful in following the doctrine of the Seventh Day Sabbath. There is nothing Biblically illegal nor unlawful here. It may be unpopular with non-SDA Christians, but their opposing attitudes towards the Gift of Prophecy is not to determine, nor limit how God will make use of it.

Last edited by NJK Project; 02/11/11 09:55 PM.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Shut-door theology- Who came up with it and how? [Re: NJK Project] #130792
02/11/11 10:16 PM
02/11/11 10:16 PM
cephalopod  Offline
Active Member 2014
Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: NJK

Do you have a specific bibliographic reference for their findings (e.g., in the Words of Adventist Pioneers in the EGW writings CD-ROM). My search of "shut door" under the works of these two returned nothing.

It's in the October 10th issue of "Midnight Cry" ( 1844 )our brothers the Jehovah's Witnesses have much material on this time - hack. This is as much if not more part of our history as well and I for one think poorly of G.C. pretending the specifics didn't happen - it only tells me they do not understand the SOP.

Originally Posted By: William Miller thanks George Storrs and Sam Snow

Thank the Lord, O my soul! Let Bro. Snow, Bro. Storrs, and others be blessed for their instrumentality in opening my eyes! I am almost home. Glory! Glory! Glory! I see that the time is correct; yes, my brother, our time 1843 was correct. How so, say you? Did not the Lord say: 'Unto two thousand three hundred days, then shall the sanctuary be cleaned.' But when? When the seventh month comes. . . That is the typical time; then will the people and the place be sanctified. When did the twenty-three hundred days end? Last spring. Then the vision tarried. How long? Until the seventh month, and will not tarry another year, for if it should, then it would be twenty-three hundred and one years.

"But, bless the Lord! He has not deceived us. O my soul, how clear that it must tarry until the seventh month - it will not tarry beyond. I believe it, yes, I love it.

William Miller initially said that Jesus would come in the spring of 1843 OR the spring of 1844 - both of those dates were called the 1st and 2nd disappointments. After spring of 1844 came and went many of the folks left Miller's movement. It was only after George Storrs and Sam Snow ( Sam being a prophet ) told Miller he was using the wrong calendar and needed to use the ancient Hebrew Lunar Calendar which calculated the great D.O.A. differently then the Gregorian calendar would. This adoption of the ancient lunar calendar gave the suffering Miller band the calculations of October 22, 1844 - the actual date of "the Day of Atonement".

The D.O.A. is the 7th month and 10th day & this is why the movement was called the "Seventh Month movement and TRUE midnight cry". SOP describes this to a "T". It's an amazing story of present truth.

Shortly after the "Great Disappointment" ( October 22, 1844 ) Miller and the majority of the Millerites left for their previous denominations & Miller and the leadership of the Advent movement actually fought against the SOP, attacking Sister White in print. Our Prophet ( Sister White ) actually gave up on the "shut door" and in fact her first vision was what breathed life back into the shut door. Unfortunately at that time the shut door only meant that salvation was forever closed to everyone who rejected the "true midnight cry" ( a period of appromimately 3 months prior to October 22 ) but this is where present truth kicks in and saves the day.

Also, as stated here our understanding of the Third Angel's Message revolving around the Sabbath was first revealed to EGW in a vision. Though not a "doctrine" per se, but a prophetic interpretation/understanding it is still quite close and the focal point of SDA eschatology. I personally that God revealed this understanding through in order to keep this faithful Remnant on the right course, as they had proven faithful in following the doctrine of the Seventh Day Sabbath. There is nothing Biblically illegal nor unlawful here. It may be unpopular with non-SDA Christians, but their opposing attitudes towards the Gift of Prophecy is not to determine, nor limit how God will make use of it.

This also has to do with present truth - initially the 3rd angels message was already "in the past", SOP also confirms that but it was only true for a short time - God has power beyond anyones understanding and what was true became untrue by the method of present truth.

Below the S.O.P. describes some of these events.

Originally Posted By: Spirit of Prophecy letter to Elder Bates July 13, 1847

After I had the vision and God gave me light, he bade me to deliver it to the band, but I shrank from it. I was young,
and I thought they would not receive it from me. I disobeyed the Lord and instead of remaining at home, where the meeting
was to be that night. I got in a sleigh in the morning and rode three or 4 miles and there I found Joseph Turner. Here merely inquired how I was
and if I was in the way of my DUTY. I said nothing, for I knew I was not. I passed up chamber and did not see him agan for two hours, when he came up, asked if I was to be at meeting that night.
I told him no, He said he wanted to hear my vision and thought it DUTY for me to go home. I told him I should not. He said no more but went away.
I thought and told those around me if I wnt I would have to come OUT AGAINST his views, THINKING HE BELIEVED WITH THE REST. I had not told any of them what God had shown me,
and I did not tell them in what I should cross his track. Very early the next morning Joseph Turner called, said he was haste going out of the city in a short time,
and wanted that I should tell him all that God had shown me in vision. It was with fear and trembling I told him all. After I had got through he said he had told out the same last evening.
I REJOICED, for I had expected he was coming out against me. for all the while Ihad NOT HEARD ANY ONE SAY WHAT HE BELIEVED

Hey, an early "Happy Sabbath" to ya!

Last edited by cephalopod; 02/11/11 10:29 PM.
Re: Shut-door theology- Who came up with it and how? [Re: cephalopod] #130799
02/11/11 11:59 PM
02/11/11 11:59 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Interesting posts in that response cephalopod. Just a couple of comments/questions in regards to what you said:

... Sam Snow ( Sam being a prophet )...

How was “Sam Snow a prophet”?? That is a definite Biblical office that carries certain signs and proof of authenticity, as stated in the Bible and objectively manifest in the ministry of EGW.

I find you “present truth” explanation plausible, however it does not conclusive resolve the issues here.

First of all, what is your reference that shows that the Early Adventists considered the Three Angels messages, particularly also the Third in the past prior to EGW 1846 vision (LS 95, 96)?

Secondly, a comment, I think this issue is more congruously resolved when it is understood that in these indicative vision God was merely using EGW to guide these early Adventist believers in their Bible studies. Thus her “Lesser Light” was being used to guide to the “Greater Light” of the Bible. It is only true that EGW has not received a vision establishing a doctrine that cannot be also wholly proven solely from the Bible. So God was here solely facilitating the Bible studies of these early, non-scholars, for the most part. So ultimately all of our doctrines and prophetic understandings are proven from the Bible irrespective of how God first indicated them to us, i.e., through the prophetic gift.

Re: Shut-door theology- Who came up with it and how? [Re: NJK Project] #130801
02/12/11 12:34 AM
02/12/11 12:34 AM
cephalopod  Offline
Active Member 2014
Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: NJK Project
Interesting posts in that response cephalopod. Just a couple of comments/questions in regards to what you said:

... Sam Snow ( Sam being a prophet )...

How was “Sam Snow a prophet”??

Because Snow was also known as "Incarnation of Elijah" & Elijah was a prophet. The present truth of that being that while Snow was not Elijah in the ultimate sense he was absolutely correct about 22 October 1844.

As for the quotes those are just a tiny sample of what's there.

That is a definite Biblical office that carries certain signs and proof of authenticity, as stated in the Bible and objectively manifest in the ministry of EGW.

We don't know everything Snow did in the same way we don't know everything Agabus did however we accept agabus was a prophet and given nothing in the S.O.P. contradicts Scripture combined with Sister White's confirmation of both Storrs and Snow I take it to the bank Snow ( at least at that time ) was certainly a prophet.

I find you “present truth” explanation plausible, however it does not conclusive resolve the issues here.

First of all, what is your reference that shows that the Early Adventists considered the Three Angels messages, particularly also the Third in the past prior to EGW 1846 vision (LS 95, 96)?

I'll post that for you once I get home, it's absolutely certain - it's right there in black and white.

Secondly, a comment, I think this issue is more congruously resolved when it is understood that in these indicative vision God was merely using EGW to guide these early Adventist believers in their Bible studies.

Yes, I agree with you! Michael came to vindicate God's holy law and Sister White was also used for this purpose - a co-vindicator of God's holy law.

Originally Posted By: SOP

To be redeemed means to cease from sin. No heart that is stirred to rebellion against the law of God has any union with Christ, who died to vindicate the law and exalt it before all nations, tongues, and peoples.

Originally Posted By: SOP, RH August 13, 1895

Representing the law of God in its true character arouses the enmity of Satan. Those who love God with all the heart, will love the law of his kingdom. They will not only profess to be guided by its principles, but they will actually live them out, even in a world that is no more favorable to the development of Christian principles than were the inhabitants of the world before the flood, of whom it is written that the thoughts and imaginations of their hearts were evil, and only evil continually. A similar condition of society exists in our world today, and if those who claim to be God's commandment-keeping people do not put in practice the principles of the law which Christ came to our world to vindicate, pronouncing it holy, just, and good, they misrepresent the character and mission of their professed Master

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (John 3:16). Christ did not come to change the Sabbath of the fourth commandment. He did not come to lessen the law of God in one particular. He came to express in His own person the love of God. He came to vindicate every precept of the holy law.--Ms 145, 1897, p. 4. ("Notes of Work," Dec. 30, 1897.) {11MR 345.3}

Our Prophet came to vindicate that which God vindicated through Michael. Michael ( God's Son ) came to vindicate God's holy law.

Satan will continue to bring in his erroneous theories and to claim that his sentiments are true. Seducing spirits are at work. I am to meet the danger positively, denying the right of anyone to use my writings to serve the devil's purpose to allure and deceive the people of God. God has spared my life that I may present the testimonies given me, to vindicate that which God vindicates, and to denounce every sophistry [intended] to deceive if possible the very elect.--Ms 126, 1905, pp. 3, 7. ("A Warning Against Present Dangers," typed December 29, 1905.) {5MR 144.1}

Thus her “Lesser Light” was being used to guide to the “Greater Light” of the Bible. It is only true that EGW has not received a vision establishing a doctrine that cannot be also wholly proven solely from the Bible. So God was here solely facilitating the Bible studies of these early, non-scholars, for the most part. So ultimately all of our doctrines and prophetic understandings are proven from the Bible irrespective of how God first indicated them to us, i.e., through the prophetic gift.

Like our enemies are fond of saying - a person does not need a flashlight to find the sun therefore neither do we need to pretend there is any contradiction between the SOP and the Bible as the author of each is identical.

Re: Shut-door theology- Who came up with it and how? [Re: cephalopod] #130802
02/12/11 01:28 AM
02/12/11 01:28 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

Love your profile name. Looked it up online. Found this:

Quote:
Cephalopods, the class of millusks which scientists classify octopuses, squid, cuttlefish and nautiluses, can change color faster than a chameleon. They can also change texture and body shape, and, and if those camouflage techniques don't work, they can still "disappear" in a cloud of ink, which they use as a smoke-screen or decoy. Cephalopods are also fascinating because they have three hearts that pump blue blood, they're jet powered, and they're found in all oceans of the world, from the tropics to the poles, the intertidal to the abyss. Cephalopods have inspired legends and stories throughout history and are thought to be the most intelligent of invertebrates. Some can squeeze through the tiniest of cracks. They have eyes and other senses that rival those of humans.

Link

Re: Shut-door theology- Who came up with it and how? [Re: Mountain Man] #130803
02/12/11 01:49 AM
02/12/11 01:49 AM
cephalopod  Offline
Active Member 2014
Washington, USA
Thanks Mountain Man they are amazing creatures for sure.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!