HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,186 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Re: Shut-door theology- Who came up with it and how? [Re: NJK Project] #130992
02/17/11 07:36 PM
02/17/11 07:36 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Back to the original topic at hand, seems to me that the Shut Door view involving the Sanctuary apartments and its doors, (distinct from the Midnight Cry view) was directly given to EGW by God Himself (EW 42-45 - March 24, 1849), as a sort of a head start for the Bible studies and research that would concretely and transparently establish it. (The same occurred with the understanding of the Heavenly Sanctuary with Hiram Edson on Oct. 23, 1844 and the Sabbath=Seal of God implication in the Third Angel’s Message in 1846 (LS 95, 96))

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Shut-door theology- Who came up with it and how? [Re: NJK Project] #130993
02/17/11 08:19 PM
02/17/11 08:19 PM
cephalopod  Offline
Active Member 2014
Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: NJK Project
Cephalopod, I think the weight of evidence speaks for itself here. When EGW was questioned point blankly about the degree of her inspiration, she made it clear that it certainly was not verbal. I go by her words vs. your “creedal” and quasi-fanatical post-fact assumptions.

Just a Jesus clearly made this Oneness statement Himself in John 10:30; 17:21; I’ll need to see a similar explicit statement from EGW herself instead of, again here, going by your “creedal” and quasi-fanatical, post-fact assumptions.

Seems clear to me that, on this fundamental issue, you’ve chosen to go down the “dishonest” path...

Sister White's writings are "insider books" and I don't mean that in a Gnostic sense.

Originally Posted By: Sister White

The unity that exists between Christ and His disciples does not destroy the personality of either. They are one in purpose, in mind, in character, but not in person. It is thus that God and Christ are one. {8T 269.4}

This is what our Prophet said, it reflects perfectly the Pioneer position as well.

Originally Posted By: Review and Herald April 17,1883

Question to the Editor: Will you please favor me with those scriptures which plainly say that Christ is a created being ? J. c.

*ANSWER :

You are mistaken in supposing that S. D. Adventists teach that Christ was ever created. They believe, on the contrary, that he was "begotten" of the Father, and that he can properly be called God and worshiped as such. They believe, also, that the worlds, and everything which is, was created by Christ in conjunction with the Father. They believe, however, that somewhere in the eternal ages of the past there was a point at which Christ came into existence. They think that it is necessary that God should have antedated Christ in his being, in order that Christ could have been begotten of him, and sustain to him the relation of son*. They hold to the distinct personality of the Father and Son, *rejecting as absurd that feature of Trinitarianisna which insists that God, and Christ, and the Holy Spirit are three persons, and yet but one person. S. D Adventists hold that God and Christ are one in the sense that Christ prayed that his disciples might be one *; i. e.,* one in spirit, purpose, and labor*. See " Fundamental Principles of S. D.Adventists," published at this Office. Price, 4 cts.

The reality of the situation is that the Pioneers brought forward doctrines ( some false and some true ) and it was WHEN those teachings were being vetted out that THE POWER of God came upon Sister White and "SHE" was given the ability to DEFINE truth from error from those teachings. Without Sister White we would have been no different then the Jehovah's Witnesses, Christadelphians or the World Wide Church of God (7th day). They didn't have an "Infallible" rock which was ONE with the Rock upon which was built the Church.

Last edited by cephalopod; 02/17/11 08:20 PM.
Re: Shut-door theology- Who came up with it and how? [Re: cephalopod] #131010
02/17/11 11:04 PM
02/17/11 11:04 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
What’s with the "cephalopodic" hoodwinking switch???? You’re not fooling me. I was asking you to substantiate your “Sister White and Christ were ONE” claim with SOP quotes.

God use of the prophetic gift to help resolve Bible Study “impasses” among early Adventist was for expedient reasons. Show me where that occurs again in e.g., the formal SDA Church era (i.e., 1863) which had many interpretational differences and disagreement. The only thing I can recall was around the 1888 Jones-Waggoner and Righteousness by Faith debate.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Shut-door theology- Who came up with it and how? [Re: NJK Project] #131023
02/18/11 07:01 AM
02/18/11 07:01 AM
cephalopod  Offline
Active Member 2014
Washington, USA
Hang on NJK, I'll do it for you ( or should I say Sister White will do it ). I'll just point you in the right direction. I'm busy with a job related issue but I will get to it - I just have to go through my file box and pull them.

Re: Shut-door theology- Who came up with it and how? [Re: NJK Project] #131046
02/18/11 09:22 PM
02/18/11 09:22 PM
cephalopod  Offline
Active Member 2014
Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: NJK

What’s with the "cephalopodic" hoodwinking switch???? You’re not fooling me. I was asking you to substantiate your “Sister White and Christ were ONE” claim with SOP quotes

Ok, I'm fairly certain you are already familiar with them however I'm happy to point them out again.

The unity that exists between Christ and His disciples does not destroy the personality of either. They are one in purpose, in mind, in character, but not in person. It is thus that God and Christ are one. {MH 422.1}

Personality = that God has a "body" with arms, legs, etc and is "ONE PERSON" - Christ being made in the image of the Father also had a "body" ( prior to being born of mary ). Sister White has just said Christ was ONE with his disciples in the same way that he was ONE with "God".

Now, the question then becomes was Sister White ONE with Christ to a greater degree then the disciples were ONE with Christ. The answer of course is a resounding YES.

I testify the things which I have seen, the things which I have heard, the things which my hands have handled of the Word of life. And this testimony I know to be of the Father and the Son. We have seen and do testify that the power of the Holy Ghost has accompanied the presentation of the truth, warning with pen and voice, and giving the messages in their order. To deny this work would be to deny the Holy Ghost, and would place us in that company who have departed from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits. Selected Messages Book 2, page 388

You claim "thought inspiration" ONLY for Sister White when both she and the Pioneers knew it was BOTH.

It has been presented to me that, so far as possible, I am to impart instruction in the language of the Scriptures; for there are those whose spiritual discernment is confused, and when their errors are reproved, they will misinterpret and misapply what I might write, and thus make of none-effect the words of warning that the Lord sends. He desires that the message He sends shall be recognized as the words of eternal truth." -- Letter 280; 1906

Jesus said His words were "eternal" and according to Sister White ( better said according to "God" )God's messages sent through her was also eternal.

Originally Posted By: Matthew 24:35

Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away

Yet, now when I send you a testimony of warning and reproof, many of you declare it to be merely the opinion of Sister White. You thereby insulted the Spirit of God.” Testimonies 5, p.64.

Let's compare what happens to those who reject the Apostolic Authority with those who reject the Testimonies Sister White gave.

Originally Posted By: Luke 10:16

He that heareth you heareth me; and he that despiseth you despiseth me; and he that despiseth me despiseth him that sent me.

If you seek to turn aside the counsel of God to suit yourselves, if you lessen the confidence of God’s people in the testimonies He has sent them, you are rebelling against God as were Korah, Dathan, and Abriam.” Testimonies 5 p. 66.

In my books, the truth is stated, barricaded by a ‘Thus saith the Lord.’ The Holy Spirit traced these truths upon my heart and mind as indelibly as the law was traced by the finger of God upon the tables of stone.” Letter 90, 1906

The power we are talking about here is the same keeping power as when God traced out the Ten Commandments and a rejection of the prophetic power of Sister White is no different then Korah rebelling against God. Many think it was Moses Korah rebelled against not understanding Moses was God's sock puppet EXACTLY as Sister White was God's sock puppet.

Sister White is also clear that there was NEVER a time previous to "HER" that God more earnestly warned His people.

In ancient times God spoke to men by the mouth of prophets and apostles. In these days He speaks to them by the testimonies of His Spirit. There NEVER was a time when God instructed His people more earnestly then He instructs them now concerning His will and the course that He would have them pursue.” Testimonies 4 p. 147 and in Testimonies 5 p. 661

Compare that with the Bible.

Originally Posted By: Hebrews 1:1

God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds

Go back to the first quote - the one where it said Christ was ONE with his disciples in the same way that God and Christ were "ONE" ( Remembering "personality" = real body )and realize that Sister White was ONE with Christ in a greater sense than the apostles. That's exactly what she said.

Brother Loughborough walked and talked with Sister White and wrote a great deal about her. Here are a few of them I've taken out of the Review and Hearld, November 5, 1914.

Originally Posted By: Loughborough

It had been shown to Hazen Foss, in 1844, that the Lord's Messenger would be one physically "The weakest of the weak". On seeing Ellen Harmon, in January, 1845 he declared her to be THE ONE SHOWN TO HIM WHOM THE LORD HAS CHOSEN.

Originally Posted By: same article

As with the ancient prophets THE TALKING IS DONE BY THE HOLY SPIRIT through her vocal organs. The prophets "spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost". 2 Peter 1:21. David said, "The spirit of the Lord spake by me, and HIS word was in MY tongue" 2 Sam 23:2. In Acts 1:16 we are told that the Holy Ghost spoke by the mouth of David. SO ALSO HER VISION was like that of Balaam. "Entranced with eyes rolled upward." Numbers 24:16 Spurrells translation margin. In the open visions of Sister White, she ALWAYS had her eyes open looking upward, as long as the vision continued. I have seen her in visions many times, and the manifestation was, EVERY TIME, EXACTLY like what the Bible tells us of the ancient prophets.

Originally Posted By: Same article

Spirit of God brings vividly to her mind what has been shown to her. This is like the case of David writing out instructions for Solomon concerning the construction of the Temple. He writes "with the hand of God upon him" 1 Chron 28:12, 19

The article goes on to demonstrate how Ellen was exactly like the ancient prophets and exactly like the Apostles of Christ.

Originally Posted By: Same article

As soon as Sister White saw him, she said "That is the man I saw in the vision". On relating the vision to him, he did exactly what Paul says such a person will do when his faults are made known to him through the gift of prophecy "FALLING DOWN ON HIS FACE HE WILL WORSHIP GOD, and report that God is IN YOU of a TRUTH 1 Cor 14:25. That is just what he did, and confessed an offense committed in Paw Paw, Mich, six hundred miles distant, the same day the vision was given in Rochester, N.Y.

Originally Posted By: Our Yearbook

That we re-affirm our binding confidence in the Testimonies of Sister White to the Church, as the teaching of the Spirit of God.” SDA Year Book for 1914, p. 253.

Originally Posted By: RH

Our position on the Testimonies is like the key-stone to the arch. Take that out and there is no logical stopping-place till all the special truths of the Message are gone...Nothing is surer than this, that the Message and visions (of Mrs. White) belong together, and stand or fall together.
Review and Herald Supplement, August 14, 1883

Re: Shut-door theology- Who came up with it and how? [Re: cephalopod] #131048
02/18/11 09:56 PM
02/18/11 09:56 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
cephalopod, I honestly appreciate your detailed and documented attempt to substantiate your view of EGW, (which does not necessarily mean I agree with your conclusion or the methodology used to arrive at it. To me it is both too subjective, selective and loosely linked - thus eisogetical), however that is all both a discussion that is really off topic to the pertinent issue at hand and thus also an issue that I cannot afford to invest time in. (Perhaps someone else will follow up on this here, or in another thread.) You can believe what you would like about EGW. Either way, the distinct and independent question of this topic still need to be addressed and towards this pertinent end, I repost below my priorly resuming post:

“It seems to me that the Shut Door view involving the Sanctuary apartments and its doors, (distinct from the Midnight Cry view) was directly given to EGW by God Himself (EW 42-45 - March 24, 1849), as a sort of a head start for the Bible studies and research that would concretely and transparently establish it. (The same occurred with the understanding of the Heavenly Sanctuary with Hiram Edson on Oct. 23, 1844 and the Sabbath=Seal of God implication in the Third Angel’s Message in 1846 (LS 95, 96)).

Re: Shut-door theology- Who came up with it and how? [Re: NJK Project] #131063
02/19/11 05:56 AM
02/19/11 05:56 AM
cephalopod  Offline
Active Member 2014
Washington, USA
NJK, only it wasn't my idea that led to it, it was the Pioneers and given Sister White never corrected them on it and her texts can be read to support those same Pioneers the simple way to understand this appears to be the right way.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6434097767490329654#

Re: Shut-door theology- Who came up with it and how? [Re: cephalopod] #131066
02/19/11 08:21 AM
02/19/11 08:21 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Just reading about the many disagreement EGW had with those pioneers and Church leaders, even to the point where she often felt slighted, ignored, rejected and alone ([I cannot presently relocate a statement where she lamentably makes this pointedly clear), I do not see that the Pioneers (nor EGW for that matter) felt that her writings were the final and authoritative word. Case in point the ignored counsels and warnings before the fires at the Review and Herald Publishing House and Battle Creek Sanitarium. So I would not based my view of EGW’s Inspiration on what others may even have claimed about her because that is clearly and naturally open to private opinions.

(I’ll be watching the video. Thanks).

Any comment for my question/comment on the pointed topic at hand here?

Re: Shut-door theology- Who came up with it and how? [Re: NJK Project] #131071
02/19/11 02:19 PM
02/19/11 02:19 PM
cephalopod  Offline
Active Member 2014
Washington, USA
Those were more business disagreements then anything else except for Kellogg's Trinity problem. I'll dig up the Pioneer teaching on your question and compare it with Sister White.

Last edited by cephalopod; 02/19/11 02:21 PM.
Re: Shut-door theology- Who came up with it and how? [Re: cephalopod] #131077
02/19/11 07:01 PM
02/19/11 07:01 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Seems to me that, as you state, they believe EGW was verbally inspired, authoritative, inerrant and infallible, that they would heed all of her “Testimonies”, even in regards to business decision because; “God would have directly spoken to them,” and that for Denominational Institutions and in regards for the work of the Church. Also there were several sharp Bible interpretation, understandings and view differences between EGW and the Pioneers, various Authors, Preachers and Church Leaders. So this all shows to me that they did not have the view you have claimed.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!