HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,173 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Re: Shut-door theology- Who came up with it and how? [Re: NJK Project] #131252
02/27/11 05:36 AM
02/27/11 05:36 AM
cephalopod  Offline
Active Member 2014
Washington, USA
Baby steps NJK & it's your call.

Re: Shut-door theology- Who came up with it and how? [Re: NJK Project] #131253
02/27/11 06:48 AM
02/27/11 06:48 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Cephalopod,
I agree with NJK on his point where you are putting words in to his mouth, I have seen you do this on different topics, and it's already rubbing me the wrong way.
Manipulation is something I take very seriously and I am not really looking forward to any cliche' rhetorics, if you cant discuss something without putting words into people's mouths and twisting things, then just take the road less traveled and either say "I have no response" or just don't reply at all.
Its pretty simple, and takes a God fearing man to lead by example.
First and last warning, next I will just lock up this topic.
God Bless,
Will

Re: Shut-door theology- Who came up with it and how? [Re: Rick H] #131256
02/27/11 12:53 PM
02/27/11 12:53 PM
J
johannes  Offline
Posting New Member
Sydney NSW Australia
Originally Posted By: Rick H
Where and how did this idea form that held that as William Miller had given the final call for salvation, all who did not accept his message were lost. The door of salvation was shut, hence the term "shut door". Why did become so widespread and why wasnt it quickly seen as a man invented interpretation instead of guidance from the Holy Spirit and discarded, and do we have any 'Shut Door' or similiar false interpretations lurking about today.

Well from what I read it seems that after 1884 disapointment, some felt there was something which had to explain the delay. The understanding of the investigative judgment was given to the members when Hiram Edson felt he was given it after a night of prayer after the Great Disappointment to explain why Jesus had not come: the sanctuary needed to be cleansed and a review of the records in heaven needed to be completed before Christ would appear. Those believing in the Shut door theory did not believe it necessary or possible to reach out to the lost, who had rejected Miller's final call. Salvation was only open to those who had accepted the message of William Miller.

The groundwork for the theory came from a William Miller quote published in the December 11, 1844 Advent Herald: "We have done our work in warning sinners, and in trying to awake a formal church. God, in his providence has shut the door; and we can only stir one another up to be patient; and be diligent to make our calling and election sure."

sabbath Dear Rick H,

You can find this Post on page 1, #130589, dated 2 February 2011.

i have been fortunate to read this through. This Topic has been a problem in the experience of many Believers, including myself, as in the 1950's it re-emerged as Close of Probation or The Unpardonable Sin.

However Rick H's very clear exposition of the History and the logical reason for the beginning of this belief, gives me a starting point for a small search of historical sources.

i am reassured that since the 1950's (about the time of the Coronation of the present Queen Elizabeth of England) i have not heard this doctrine preached from the pulpit. And let me assure you i have never heard "Shut door" preached at all.

But as a nine year old i did hear Close of Probation and Unpardonable sin excercised in long arguments between my fore-bears. Died in the wool Believers, who joined the Church in the 1890's.

And as a bee-keeper, in the 1990's i listened to two faithful Sabbath keepers, who manufactured my bee-boxes, try to teach me from well worn copies of Ellen G White, that we were all lost, and nothing we could do to be saved. Which is an extension of the Un-Pardonable Sin argument. They fed me beautiful fresh fruit, as they were both avid Health followers of standard Church teachings, but both seemed to believe they were eternally lost. And wanted me to believe i was lost too. shocked Can someone explain this abberration to me? Please.

As expressed in this Post i find the Introduction of this discussion factual and helpful. Giving me an opportunity of happiness that the church feels secure enough to no longer feel the need to preach it, but today allows all who come to Jesus, free opportunity to repent of our sins and find full forgiveness kneeling at Jesus feet.

Thank you for this excellent Post.

God bless,

TY johannes.

Re: Shut-door theology- Who came up with it and how? [Re: Will] #131257
02/27/11 03:58 PM
02/27/11 03:58 PM
cephalopod  Offline
Active Member 2014
Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: Will
Cephalopod,
I agree with NJK on his point where you are putting words in to his mouth, I have seen you do this on different topics, and it's already rubbing me the wrong way.
Manipulation is something I take very seriously and I am not really looking forward to any cliche' rhetorics, if you cant discuss something without putting words into people's mouths and twisting things, then just take the road less traveled and either say "I have no response" or just don't reply at all.
Its pretty simple, and takes a God fearing man to lead by example.
First and last warning, next I will just lock up this topic.
God Bless,
Will

That's generally what happens when there is not a solid apologetic to refute the other's position...
...The topic gets locked.

I've made my case well enough and answered the question as to why the reason given for 1844 was only half the answer...
...It's no shock that many would rather pound their head into the sand on this issue.
...It makes them face their actual faith or lack thereof.
...And many simply prefer to not do that.

Thanks for the warning, I appreciate it Will.....
...Perhaps another member will show where my view is wrong.
...By dealing directly with my points.

Re: Shut-door theology- Who came up with it and how? [Re: cephalopod] #131258
02/27/11 07:16 PM
02/27/11 07:16 PM
cephalopod  Offline
Active Member 2014
Washington, USA
Page 4 of this thread and post #130896 is where the discussion was actually moving...
...Anyone that can read can see what happened shortly after that.
..Those points prove what I was saying and one will either have to face their faith or realize they have someone elses faith.

Re: Shut-door theology- Who came up with it and how? [Re: cephalopod] #131259
02/27/11 08:41 PM
02/27/11 08:41 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Cephalopod,
We are all entitled to believe what we want to believe, and we all need to be convinced in our own mind.
THe way a message is presented also makes a difference. Personally I am not in the mood or have the time to go and explain where your view is wrong if indeed it is wrong, do you know what I mean?
Lets not take our eyes off of Christ especially in these scary times where the stage is set for the final scene.

I personally can't stand when people tell me EGW is this, and you better believe that, BUT when I read EGW's writings for example COL, I really understand things and what she was saying vs someone explaining their interpretation of what she said.
All we can do is prove all things and take that which is good.

God Bless,
Will

Last edited by Will; 02/27/11 08:42 PM. Reason: text formatting
Re: Shut-door theology- Who came up with it and how? [Re: Will] #131261
02/27/11 11:44 PM
02/27/11 11:44 PM
cephalopod  Offline
Active Member 2014
Washington, USA
Cephalopod,
We are all entitled to believe what we want to believe, and we all need to be convinced in our own mind.
THe way a message is presented also makes a difference. Personally I am not in the mood or have the time to go and explain where your view is wrong if indeed it is wrong, do you know what I mean?
Lets not take our eyes off of Christ especially in these scary times where the stage is set for the final scene.

I personally can't stand when people tell me EGW is this, and you better believe that, BUT when I read EGW's writings for example COL, I really understand things and what she was saying vs someone explaining their interpretation of what she said.

God Bless,
Will

That's honest, thank you Will. I find it horrific at what has happened over the years since Sister White went to sleep...
...The things going on in our schools especially - this is the future of our Church we are talking about.

Originally Posted By: Sister White

A view of things was presented before me in which the students were playing games of tennis and cricket. Then I was given instruction regarding the character of these amusements. They were presented to me as a species of idolatry,like the idols of the nations. There were more than visible spectators on the ground. Satan and his angels were there, making impressions upon human minds. Angels of God, who minister to those who shall be heirs of salvation, were also present, not to approve, but to disapprove." Counsels to Parents, Teachers, and Students, p.350.

Satan like sports and urges his children to participate in such heathen activities....
...Sister White was given detailed instructions into this evil species.
...And goes on to say that angels disapprove of such idol worship.

Yet today most of our schools have all types of sports and stress that the kids 'join in'...
...It's this sort of stuff that makes me wonder why others can't see what's been going on.
...We have the proof in front of us - can we now pick and choose what to accept that God revealed to us via Sister White?

Re: Shut-door theology- Who came up with it and how? [Re: Will] #131262
02/28/11 12:26 AM
02/28/11 12:26 AM
J
johannes  Offline
Posting New Member
Sydney NSW Australia
Cephalopod,

God Bless,
Will

wave Hello Will,

i like to approach the Bible each day, to see if God has a message for my heart. i need an heart of flesh so God can write His commandments there. [Ezek 11:16 to end of chapter, which also includes Ezekiel being given a vision of God, to comfort the scattered Israelites of the captivity.] God has promised to be a little Sanctuary for us.

The church now has the Fundamentals, which i believe are a good basis or framework for study. i know a retired Pastor who introduces them one by one when introducing a new interest to the Truth.

Generally if someone gives me a text as a proof for some point i like to read the whole chapter, to get the sense. Personal views i think are for the person who has them. i do not have to convince anyone else. But i think it is OK to share. But i agree with you Will, it is pretty pointless insisting any-one must agree with any one Believer's view. Particularly as Holy Writ is interpreted only after reverent prayer.

Other people's views are of interest, but i need to be saved. In a sense we are in a captivity and are scattered, [as in the story of Ezekiel] for who knows we should have been in the Kingdom before this. For Jesus might have come before had we been more diligent in telling the glad news.

God bless,

thumbsup johannes.

Re: Shut-door theology- Who came up with it and how? [Re: cephalopod] #131264
02/28/11 01:39 AM
02/28/11 01:39 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: cephalopod
Cephalopod,

God Bless,
Will

That's honest, thank you Will. I find it horrific at what has happened over the years since Sister White went to sleep...
...The things going on in our schools especially - this is the future of our Church we are talking about.

Originally Posted By: Sister White

A view of things was presented before me in which the students were playing games of tennis and cricket. Then I was given instruction regarding the character of these amusements. They were presented to me as a species of idolatry,like the idols of the nations. There were more than visible spectators on the ground. Satan and his angels were there, making impressions upon human minds. Angels of God, who minister to those who shall be heirs of salvation, were also present, not to approve, but to disapprove." Counsels to Parents, Teachers, and Students, p.350.

Satan like sports and urges his children to participate in such heathen activities....
...Sister White was given detailed instructions into this evil species.
...And goes on to say that angels disapprove of such idol worship.

Yet today most of our schools have all types of sports and stress that the kids 'join in'...
...It's this sort of stuff that makes me wonder why others can't see what's been going on.
...We have the proof in front of us - can we now pick and choose what to accept that God revealed to us via Sister White?

I know what you mean Cephalopod the world is upside down, and I keep thinking about 2 verses:
1: The love of many will wax cold
2: All of creation groans

We have those 2 conditions at the very minimum existing today, and I feel frightened every day at what is going on around me, but am comforted knowing these things must happen before Christ comes smile

I know what you mean about sports, at least taking it all the way and being hardcore about it as it is pretty much idolatry.
Playing ball with your friends is a bit different smile

God Bless,
Will

Re: Shut-door theology- Who came up with it and how? [Re: johannes] #131265
02/28/11 01:46 AM
02/28/11 01:46 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: johannes
Cephalopod,

God Bless,
Will

wave Hello Will,

i like to approach the Bible each day, to see if God has a message for my heart. i need an heart of flesh so God can write His commandments there. [Ezek 11:16 to end of chapter, which also includes Ezekiel being given a vision of God, to comfort the scattered Israelites of the captivity.] God has promised to be a little Sanctuary for us.

The church now has the Fundamentals, which i believe are a good basis or framework for study. i know a retired Pastor who introduces them one by one when introducing a new interest to the Truth.

Generally if someone gives me a text as a proof for some point i like to read the whole chapter, to get the sense. Personal views i think are for the person who has them. i do not have to convince anyone else. But i think it is OK to share. But i agree with you Will, it is pretty pointless insisting any-one must agree with any one Believer's view. Particularly as Holy Writ is interpreted only after reverent prayer.

Other people's views are of interest, but i need to be saved. In a sense we are in a captivity and are scattered, [as in the story of Ezekiel] for who knows we should have been in the Kingdom before this. For Jesus might have come before had we been more diligent in telling the glad news.

God bless,

thumbsup johannes.

Hi Johannes,
Recently, well maybe not so recently but for a while now I ask God to just feed me spiritually, and that I may know more about Him cause I want to be closer to Him and share with my son His love through Jesus Christ.
I do have a couple of topics I do love to read about especially the Sanctuary Services and how it represented Jesus Christ, and the throne in heaven believe it or not. Its one of my favorite things to study when I have time.Other wise I read to my son a chapter a night from the book of John, and that is a challenge in itself as he is so eager to turn the pages hahaha smile

I think it's great to share cause we never know what someone may get from what was shared with them. The seed is planted and needs to take root, and it may be a while until it starts to grow.

Thats a good analogy of being scattered and in captivity, never thought of it that way, and the verse in Romans I think that mentions that what happened to the Israelites should serve as an example to us.

God Bless,
Will

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!