HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,186 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 105 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 104 105
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: NJK Project] #131209
02/24/11 08:01 PM
02/24/11 08:01 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
By the way Tom, in regards to our prior discussion on the “practically tangible aspects” of sin, which you apparently have chosen to quietly, wholly ignore, how do created humans live eternally?? I.e., is it a sinless nature that, of itself, tangibly provides this perpetual (and not actually immortal) life, or is it, as the Bible and SOP clearly say, the eating of the fruit of the Tree of Life?

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: NJK Project] #131216
02/25/11 12:33 AM
02/25/11 12:33 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: NJK
This also demonstrates to me that God does not consider the ‘accessible/ready opportunity to sin’ as inextricably crucial to having true “Freedom”.

By virtue of having free will, every creature has the ability to sin, as Lucifer demonstrated.

Quote:
By the way Tom, in regards to our prior discussion on the “practically tangible aspects” of sin, which you apparently have chosen to quietly, wholly ignore, how do created humans live eternally??

Why would you be so uncharitable? There are other possible reasons for my actions, such as being extremely busy, or perhaps an oversight. Why not attribute a motive like that, instead of an ugly one?

Quote:
I.e., is it a sinless nature that, of itself, tangibly provides this perpetual (and not actually immortal) life, or is it, as the Bible and SOP clearly say, the eating of the fruit of the Tree of Life?

Regarding why those who will live forever, there's no reason why they shouldn't. Even insignificant animals, like insects, will live forever. That's without partaking of the tree of life. One might as well ask how that's possible.

Really, the question isn't why beings created by God should live, but why they would die. Death is the aberration, not life.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #131219
02/25/11 01:08 AM
02/25/11 01:08 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Originally Posted By: Tom
Why would you be so uncharitable? There are other possible reasons for my actions, such as being extremely busy, or perhaps an oversight. Why not attribute a motive like that, instead of an ugly one?

Really just stated what was, all things reasonable things considered, contextually “apparent” to me, as generally observed... But since you claim to have a “honest/valid” reason: What was it?? (And that is not a “rhetorical” question.)

Regarding why those who will live forever, there's no reason why they shouldn't.

If this was to occur on its own, created humans would be immortal. In a sense the God vs. human reality is like a car maker vs. a car. The human, relatively speaking has life in itself, whereas the car without necessary ingredients (i.e., fuel/energy) and repairs and maintenance, will never start (i.e., come to life) or last long. In the same way, God’s Creation, with the life-sustaining and repairing ingredients in the Fruit of Life, will, apparently within 1000 years, physically degenerate and die.

Even insignificant animals, like insects, will live forever. That's without partaking of the tree of life. One might as well ask how that's possible.

I had stated before that something in this line of Fruit of Life seems to have been removed from nature when Adam and Eve sinned. Perhaps this was made available in the water that directly or indirectly provided nutrients to all living things. Inanimate objects like e.g, rocks, iron, gold do not so, of themselves, degenerate and die but only animate ones that feed upon various things to live. So God apparently made this Fruit of live readily accessible to the rest of “(alive) Creation” through other natural means.

Really, the question isn't why beings created by God should live, but why they would die. Death is the aberration, not life.

The simple, Biblical answer to me is that God could not give immortality to humans/Creation. So He instead devised a means that their life and health could be periodically restored to its initial perfection. Death is thus the natural consequence for Creation without this life-giving means.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: NJK Project] #131282
02/28/11 03:51 PM
02/28/11 03:51 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Been really busy. Thought I had responded already, but don't see anything. Sorry about that.

Quote:
T:Why would you be so uncharitable? There are other possible reasons for my actions, such as being extremely busy, or perhaps an oversight. Why not attribute a motive like that, instead of an ugly one?

NJK:Really just stated what was, all things reasonable things considered, contextually “apparent” to me, as generally observed... But since you claim to have a “honest/valid” reason: What was it?? (And that is not a “rhetorical” question.)

I've been really busy. Also, it may have been an oversight.

Quote:
T:Regarding why those who will live forever, there's no reason why they shouldn't.

NJK:If this was to occur on its own, created humans would be immortal.

Immortality is an attribute of God's character. A more accurate way of putting this is that human beings wouldn't not have been subject to death. Death is the fruit of sin. Without sin, there is no death.

Quote:
In a sense the God vs. human reality is like a car maker vs. a car. The human, relatively speaking has life in itself, whereas the car without necessary ingredients (i.e., fuel/energy) and repairs and maintenance, will never start (i.e., come to life) or last long. In the same way, God’s Creation, with the life-sustaining and repairing ingredients in the Fruit of Life, will, apparently within 1000 years, physically degenerate and die.

Again, death comes as the result of sin. You're making a statement based on what happened after sin arose, which is a different situation.

Quote:
T:Even insignificant animals, like insects, will live forever. That's without partaking of the tree of life. One might as well ask how that's possible.

NJK:I had stated before that something in this line of Fruit of Life seems to have been removed from nature when Adam and Eve sinned. Perhaps this was made available in the water that directly or indirectly provided nutrients to all living things. Inanimate objects like e.g, rocks, iron, gold do not so, of themselves, degenerate and die but only animate ones that feed upon various things to live. So God apparently made this Fruit of live readily accessible to the rest of “(alive) Creation” through other natural means.

You're making suggestions based on your original idea being correct. What I'm pointing out is that without sin, there would be no reason for anything to die. You can't divorce death from sin.

Quote:
T:Really, the question isn't why beings created by God should live, but why they would die. Death is the aberration, not life.

NJK:The simple, Biblical answer to me is that God could not give immortality to humans/Creation. So He instead devised a means that their life and health could be periodically restored to its initial perfection. Death is thus the natural consequence for Creation without this life-giving means.

Death is the result of sin. There are many statements from inspiration which explain this. For example, James tells us that sin, when it is finished, brings forth death.

From the SOP:

Quote:
At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. {DA 764.2}

Last edited by Tom; 02/28/11 06:21 PM. Reason: formatting

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #131285
02/28/11 09:22 PM
02/28/11 09:22 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec

Hello Tom. I appreciate your response and can understand the reason for your prior non-response. However in reading through your answers here, pointedly in your objection to my Bible and SOP based understanding that ‘sin only led to death because man was barred from eating any more from the Tree of Life’ it seems that you did indeed overlook this entire post of mine which further defended that priorly established view. So, as not too restate all of these points again, you’ll first need to respond and/or read through that post, because that is indeed why I maintain my view on Sin and Death as it is still Biblically soundly supported.

Immortality is an attribute of God's character.

I do not see the Bible stating God’s Immortality as a trait of His Character (i.e., conduct/personality), but an inherent physical attribute.

A more accurate way of putting this is that human beings wouldn't not have been subject to death. Death is the fruit of sin. Without sin, there is no death.
Again, death comes as the result of sin. You're making a statement based on what happened after sin arose, which is a different situation.
You're making suggestions based on your original idea being correct. What I'm pointing out is that without sin, there would be no reason for anything to die. You can't divorce death from sin.

In the (still non-substantially disproven by you) Biblical and SOP understanding that Man died only because they could not eat the Fruit of Life, it is made clear that Man was always, i.e., from his creation, subject to gradually degeneration, however the Tree of Life helped to heal and restore them to perfect status and thus perpetuate their life. As God literally warned in Gen 2:17: ‘by reason of he [i.e., (created) man] naturally dying (Qal infinitive absolute + 3 persons masc. sing suffix) you will consequently die (Qal imperfect).

Death is the result of sin. There are many statements from inspiration which explain this. For example, James tells us that sin, when it is finished, brings forth death.

You need to, both, substantiate that claim with a text other than James 1:15 which I have already exegetically responded to, bringing out its pointed meaning and also address the clear statement to the contrary in Gen 3:22-24 and PP 60.3 (“In order to possess an endless existence, man must continue to partake of the tree of life....”). Just repetitively insisting that ‘I am wrong’ with any Biblical support does not make it so! The arbitrating/determinative proof is in the Bible and SOP and thus far you have not provided such sound and proper support for your Theological view.

That DA 764.2 statement fully harmonizes with my understanding of James 1:15. It is not sin in itself that, per se, brings death but the carrying out of sin to its fullness. Also the ‘result of sin being ultimately death’ again is because, as the Bible and SOP clearly state, access to the Tree of Life was barred.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: NJK Project] #131286
02/28/11 10:34 PM
02/28/11 10:34 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
NJK:Hello Tom. I appreciate your response and can understand the reason for your prior non-response. However in reading through your answers here, pointedly in your objection to my Bible and SOP based understanding that ‘sin only led to death because man was barred from eating any more from the Tree of Life’ it seems that you did indeed overlook this entire post of mine which further defended that priorly established view.

I see from that post that there were many points I responded to. So one could hardly fairly say that I "overlooked" the entire post, given the number of comments I made.

If there's some specific point you'd like to discuss at more length, or some specific point you feel I didn't address, I'll be happy to do so.

Quote:
So, as not too restate all of these points again, you’ll first need to respond and/or read through that post, because that is indeed why I maintain my view on Sin and Death as it is still Biblically soundly supported.

I responded to the post, with many comments. Perhaps you could respond to those. Or restate a point you particularly wish discussed.

Quote:
T:Immortality is an attribute of God's character.

NJK:I do not see the Bible stating God’s Immortality as a trait of His Character (i.e., conduct/personality), but an inherent physical attribute.

I'm not sure characterizing it as "physical" is the best way of designating it. This seems like a minor point, however. Lot's just say it's an attribute of God. I think we can both agree to that.

Quote:
T:A more accurate way of putting this is that human beings wouldn't not have been subject to death. Death is the fruit of sin. Without sin, there is no death.

NJK:In the (still non-substantially disproven by you) Biblical and SOP understanding that Man died only because they could not eat the Fruit of Life, it is made clear that Man was always, i.e., from his creation, subject to gradually degeneration, however the Tree of Life helped to heal and restore them to perfect status and thus perpetuate their life. As God literally warned in Gen 2:17: ‘by reason of he [i.e., (created) man] naturally dying (Qal infinitive absolute + 3 persons masc. sing suffix) you will consequently die (Qal imperfect).

I substantiated that death is the result of sin, both from Scripture and the SOP. From that the rest of what I said follows. The whole question resolved around what the cause of death is. Is it sin? Or something else?

Quote:
T:Death is the result of sin. There are many statements from inspiration which explain this. For example, James tells us that sin, when it is finished, brings forth death.

NJK:You need to, both, substantiate that claim with a text other than James 1:15 which I have already exegetically responded to, bringing out its pointed meaning and also address the clear statement to the contrary in Gen 3:22-24 and PP 60.3 (“In order to possess an endless existence, man must continue to partake of the tree of life....”).

One could just as easily say that in order to possess and endless existence, man must continually breath. But to attribute eternal life to breathing seems to be looking at the issue superficially, because the issue is primarily a spiritual one, having to do with character, not a physical one.

Quote:
Just repetitively insisting that ‘I am wrong’ with any Biblical support does not make it so!

? I don't know what this is referring to. Where have I "insisted" that "you are wrong" without any Biblical support?

Quote:
The arbitrating/determinative proof is in the Bible and SOP and thus far you have not provided such sound and proper support for your Theological view.

I would think the statement that death is "the inevitable result of sin" substantiates the view that death is the result of sin.

There are many statements that establish this. From Scripture:

"The soul that sinneth, it shall die."
"The wages of sin is death."
"The sting of death is sin."

Another one from the SOP:

Quote:
The cross teaches the lesson of self-sacrifice. As by faith men behold the royal Sufferer, the conviction comes to them that the sure result of sin is death.{RH, January 7, 1902 par. 11}

Quote:
That DA 764.2 statement fully harmonizes with my understanding of James 1:15. It is not sin in itself that, per se, brings death but the carrying out of sin to its fullness.

Sin, when completed, brings forth death. That's the idea in James, isn't it?

Quote:
Also the ‘result of sin being ultimately death’ again is because, as the Bible and SOP clearly state, access to the Tree of Life was barred.

Is sin primarily a physical or spiritual problem? Consider the above mentioned quote:

Quote:
The cross teaches the lesson of self-sacrifice. As by faith men behold the royal Sufferer, the conviction comes to them that the sure result of sin is death.{RH, January 7, 1902 par. 11}

Why would the cross bring to men the conviction that the sure result of sin is death, if this is not a spiritual issue?

If you look at the statement in DA 764 in context, it supports through the organic concept I laid out. Something close to a dozen times in those couple of paragraphs, Ellen White repeated that the destruction of the wicked is not due to something God does to them, but is a result of their own choice.

Consider the portion from which I quoted, for example. It says that had God permitted Satan and his followers to reap the full result of sin, they would have perished, but it would not have been apparent that this is the inevitable result of sin. There's no tree involved here. The point is that death is the inevitable result of sin, but had God allowed Satan and his followers to die, it would have appeared to onlookers that God had done something to them to make them die, as opposed to their death being the result of sin.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #131287
02/28/11 11:28 PM
02/28/11 11:28 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Sincerely, but frankly, stated here Tom, given that you want to view every Bible and SOP passage through your (supposed) “organic” prism rather than allowing the Bible to define how sin results in death as shown in Gen 2:17; 3:22-24 (PP 60.3) which, particularly in regards tot he Bible passages, you have not provided, at least to me, and exegetically valid response to what they are straightly stating, then I really do not see continuing this discussion as being personally worthwhile, especially at this time. When I take on such Theological Issues, I let the clear and literal passages in the Bible and SOP anchor my study and then study all other passages in this clear light and not vice-versa.

I have also personally seen that such a ‘spiritualizing of everything’ in the Bible as if it is an inherent necessity has greatly hampered a more accurate understanding of our most Real God and derived Theological issues.

So for these reasons, I think I have to end my discussion of this topic here. I nonetheless have appreciated it.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: NJK Project] #131288
03/01/11 01:39 AM
03/01/11 01:39 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
NJK, you are certainly welcome to continue discussions here if you like. Tom has been polite. No one has told you to leave. However, it might help you to enjoy this forum more if you adopt the perspective of this passage.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Green Cochoa] #131297
03/01/11 05:01 AM
03/01/11 05:01 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
********* Post removed by Admin with PM to be sent to explain why it was removed *******

Last edited by Daryl F; 03/01/11 01:22 PM. Reason: Post removed by Admin

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: NJK Project] #131299
03/01/11 05:40 AM
03/01/11 05:40 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
NJK, if you choose not to continue the discussion, that's your prerogative, but I'd like to make a comment, which is that we all have paradigms by which we view sacred things. We all share the perspective that the writings we consider inspired are inspired by God, and so believe they have an inherent consistency, despite appearances to the contrary.

It's very common that sincere Christians view things differently. For example, SDA's are in a minority in regards to a number of doctrines, including the State of the Dead. There are many passages which appear to give a point of view contrary to the one we hold. But if we consider the broader picture, there are clear reasons to see why the point of view that we hold makes sense, despite various texts which may appear to be to the contrary.

I give this as example, because what I'm interested in trying to ascertain in these discussions is what's the reasoning of those who hold a different paradigm that I hold. Rarely do people change their paradigms, although it does happen from time to time. But even though paradigms do not change, it's still a valuable experience to see the reasoning of another, and to have the opportunity to defend and consider one's old perspective.

So if you wish to continue our discussion, I welcome that, with the request that you respond to the points I've made and the questions I've asked.

Page 17 of 105 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!