HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,974 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 39 of 105 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 104 105
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #131960
03/19/11 08:42 AM
03/19/11 08:42 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Tom
I guess, "What really happened?" would be a good question to ask. If our ideas lead us to ideas that have God acting completely out of character, perhaps we should question those ideas.

I would agree that if it is our ideas leading us astray, we should question those ideas. However, how would we know? If it is our own ideas at fault, chances are, we are ignorant of being in the wrong. Most people don't walk around thinking that their ideas are wrong. wink

Which brings us to a hard and solid fact: The Bible must be trusted over and above any of our ideas. This is what brings us to a certain need for diligence and setting aside of personal opinions, biases, or prejudices when studying the Word of God.

Ultimately, what seems right often isn't. Therefore, our ideas about God's character must not dictate to us our doctrine. We must base both on the Bible, not upon reason.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Green Cochoa] #131963
03/19/11 06:58 PM
03/19/11 06:58 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
I was giving this topic some thought, or at least the theme, and part of the big picture.
In those ancient times, the Israelites were God's people, His children, and if any of you are parents, what would you do for your children to protect them?
I know that when the Amelekites were not slaughtered as God commanded, this resulted in Haman remaining alive, and genocide against the Israelites was a very real possibility.
God Bless,
-Will

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #131969
03/19/11 08:10 PM
03/19/11 08:10 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
M: Based on the above, is there any doubt in your mind as to where and from whom Ellen believed the fire came from that killed Nadab and Abihu? I believe it is crystal clear she believed it came from the presence of God in the most holy place. Do you agree? If not, can you produce positive proof from the SOP she believed it was in fact Satan who employed the fire that killed them?

K: In the Bible it says God slew Saul. You personally were not aware of any place where it says differently. That doesn't mean that it doesn't say differently. Suppose that part of the Bible, which you were not aware of, wasn't in there. That still doesn't mean God slew Saul. If there were no such occurrences in the Bible, then I would agree with you. But as Tom and I have pointed out several examples to you, shouldn't that make you think there may be other things going on? I believe you have said yourself that God assumes responsibility for the universe. When a boss or project leader assumes responsibility, that doesn't mean he caused the mess-up (or success!) but that he takes the responsibility for what happened. A project leader is expected to control/coerce what happens. In the great controversy, do you think God's purpose is to control and coerce everything that happens or is there another purpose? You have a presumed premise of what fire is, the purpose is, and see a binomial effect that either God killed them or Satan killed them. Could there be other alternatives? How does that match with what Tom has quoted Ellen White as saying numerous times from the Great Controversy?

M: If the fire that blazed out from the presence of God in the most holy place and burned N&A alive did not, in fact, blaze out from the presence of God in the most holy place and burn N&A alive, where, then, did the fire come from, and from whom? If it wasn't "fire" that blazed out from the presence of God in the most holy place that killed N&A, what, then, killed them? And, why did Ellen clearly say it was fire that blazed out from the presence of God in the most holy place that killed N&A?

K: Are you aware of places in the bible where "fire" is not as you think of it as?

Yes. In fact, I suspect the "fire" that blazed out from the presence of God in the most holy place and killed N&A was the radiant light of God's person and presence. Do you agree? If not, what do you think killed N&A?

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #131970
03/19/11 08:16 PM
03/19/11 08:16 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Again, the question remains - Why did such a loving, merciful, forgiving God command godly people to kill ungodly people?

T: Do you picture God as being this way? That is, is this something you see Jesus/God doing?

The following is the entire post:

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
1. In the OT, did Jesus ever command godly people to kill ungodly people in battle?

2. In the OT, did Jesus ever command godly people to execute capital punishment?

3. In the OT, did Jesus ever withdraw His protection and permit the forces of nature or evil men, and/or evil angels to kill men, women, and children?

T: "What really happened?" would be a good question to ask. If our ideas lead us to ideas that have God acting completely out of character, perhaps we should question those ideas.

M: I believe the answer to the three questions listed above is - Yes! The language employed in the OT makes it crystal clear that Jesus did indeed command the first two and did the third. In fact, we both agree Jesus did the third. Do you agree Jesus commanded the first two? Or, do you suspect the language employed in the OT misrepresents what Jesus really commanded? For example:

Quote:
Exodus
22:20 He that sacrificeth unto [any] god, save unto the LORD only, he shall be utterly destroyed.

Numbers
15:35 And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.

Deuteronomy
2:34 And we took all his cities at that time, and utterly destroyed the men, and the women, and the little ones, of every city, we left none to remain:
20:17 But thou shalt utterly destroy them; [namely], the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee:

Joshua
10:40 So Joshua smote all the country of the hills, and of the south, and of the vale, and of the springs, and all their kings: he left none remaining, but utterly destroyed all that breathed, as the LORD God of Israel commanded.

Again, the question remains - Why did such a loving, merciful, forgiving God command godly people to kill ungodly people?

In response to the last part of the post above you asked - "Do you picture God as being this way? That is, is this something you see Jesus/God doing?" To answer your question I'm going to quote from the part you omitted:

I believe the answer to the three questions listed above is - Yes! The language employed in the OT makes it crystal clear that Jesus did indeed command the first two and did the third. In fact, we both agree Jesus did the third. Do you agree Jesus commanded the first two? Or, do you suspect the language employed in the OT misrepresents what Jesus really commanded?

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #131971
03/19/11 08:29 PM
03/19/11 08:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
Based on what you wrote above, I still do not know your answers to the following questions asked above:

1. You seem to be suggesting the "fire" that "blazed out" from the "presence" of God in "the holy of holies" and "consumed" Nadab and Abihu in reality was employed by Satan.

I just quoted GC and said I thought the same principles applied. I spelled out in detail what I thought that meant. I disagree with your assessment in regards to what you think I seem to be suggesting.

Quote:
Is this what you believe Ellen had in mind?

What you said? No. I think she would agree with the idea that the same principles were in effect, however, if we could ask her now.

Quote:
2. If so, doesn't that imply she believed Satan was standing beside God in the most holy place when he employed fire to kill them?

No.

Quote:
3. Do you know of even one passage where Ellen plainly says, God withdrew His protection and permitted Satan to employ fire to kill Nadab and Abihu?

As I said, I think the same principles were at work here as in the GC chapter on the Destruction of Jerusalem. I think these are principles at work in all such incidents, as I explained. I see no reason why she would need to repeat this for every such incident in Scripture. We should be able to figure out what the principles are by which God runs His government, and apply them to other situations, don't you think?

Ellen clearly wrote, the "fire" that "blazed out" from the "presence" of God in "the holy of holies" "consumed" Nadab and Abihu. It sounds like you believe Ellen expected us to interpret her words to mean God withdrew His protection and permitted Satan to employ the fire that burned Nadab and Abihu alive.

Please answer the following questions:

1. Did fire blaze out from the presence of God in the holy of holies and burn Nadab and Abihu alive?

2. If not, why did Ellen clearly say so?

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Green Cochoa] #131973
03/19/11 08:46 PM
03/19/11 08:46 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
1. In the OT, did Jesus ever command godly people to kill ungodly people in battle?

2. In the OT, did Jesus ever command godly people to execute capital punishment?

3. In the OT, did Jesus ever withdraw His protection and permit the forces of nature or evil men, and/or evil angels to kill men, women, and children?

I guess, "What really happened?" would be a good question to ask. If our ideas lead us to ideas that have God acting completely out of character, perhaps we should question those ideas.

I would agree that if it is our ideas leading us astray, we should question those ideas. However, how would we know? If it is our own ideas at fault, chances are, we are ignorant of being in the wrong. Most people don't walk around thinking that their ideas are wrong. wink

Which brings us to a hard and solid fact: The Bible must be trusted over and above any of our ideas. This is what brings us to a certain need for diligence and setting aside of personal opinions, biases, or prejudices when studying the Word of God.

Ultimately, what seems right often isn't. Therefore, our ideas about God's character must not dictate to us our doctrine. We must base both on the Bible, not upon reason.

When the Bible clearly says Jesus commanded one and two above and did the third, is it appropriate to take God at His word? Or, should we assume since Jesus didn't do either one of the three while here in the flesh that He didn't do either of them in the OT? For example:

Quote:
Exodus
22:20 He that sacrificeth unto [any] god, save unto the LORD only, he shall be utterly destroyed.

Numbers
15:35 And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.

Deuteronomy
2:34 And we took all his cities at that time, and utterly destroyed the men, and the women, and the little ones, of every city, we left none to remain:
20:17 But thou shalt utterly destroy them; [namely], the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee:

Joshua
10:40 So Joshua smote all the country of the hills, and of the south, and of the vale, and of the springs, and all their kings: he left none remaining, but utterly destroyed all that breathed, as the LORD God of Israel commanded.

What is the truth regarding the passages above as it relates to the three questions above?

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #131977
03/19/11 11:16 PM
03/19/11 11:16 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Yes. In fact, I suspect the "fire" that blazed out from the presence of God in the most holy place and killed N&A was the radiant light of God's person and presence. Do you agree? If not, what do you think killed N&A?

I know I'm not the one you were addressing here, but perhaps you will not mind hearing my thoughts on this too.

God chose that sanctuary as the place in which His presence would dwell. It was God's house, His tabernacle among men. In light of this, it seems to me that it would have put a blight upon God's name and honor to have anyone think, much less report to others, that the Devil had been present there to act in this manner. It would be as though God had been asleep on His watch, or not actually present as He had claimed!

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #131978
03/19/11 11:38 PM
03/19/11 11:38 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
When the Bible clearly says Jesus commanded one and two above and did the third, is it appropriate to take God at His word?

I would answer this with a decided "Yes!" It is most certainly appropriate to take God at His Word.

From Mrs. White, we have many, many admonitions to do exactly this: to take God at His Word. Here are just a few...
Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Those who take God at His word, and obey His commandments with the whole heart, will be blessed.

It is our privilege to take God at his word.

Said the angel: "Feeling is not faith. Faith is simply to take God at His word."

Come to the Scriptures and intelligently take God at His word.

Take God at His word, and work in faith. Satan will come with his suggestions to make you distrust the word of your heavenly Father; but consider, "Whatsoever is not of faith is sin." Press your faith through the dark shadow of Satan, and lodge it upon the mercy seat, and let not one doubt be entertained. This is the only way in which you will gain an experience, and find the evidence so essential for your peace and confidence.

We must take God at His word, and believe that He will do just as He has said. If He chastises us, it is that we may be partakers of His divine nature.

Some men seem afraid to take God at His word as though it would be presumption in them. They pray for the Lord to teach us and yet are afraid to credit the pledged word of God and believe we have been taught of Him.... You must not for a moment doubt Him and dishonor Him thereby.

The Lord works in cooperation with the will and action of the human agent. It is the privilege and duty of every man to take God at His word, to believe in Jesus as his personal Saviour, and to respond eagerly, immediately, to the gracious propositions which He makes. He is to study to believe and obey the divine instruction in the Scriptures. He is to base his faith not on feeling but upon the evidence and the Word of God (MS 3, 1895).

According to Mrs. White, it is intelligent to take God at His word. Furthermore, we are to do this regardless of feeling. Faith is not a feeling. I cannot trust, therefore, to any feeling I might have about the matter. I must trust only to the plain word of God, written for my instruction.

Or, should we assume since Jesus didn't do either one of the three while here in the flesh that He didn't do either of them in the OT? For example:

Quote:
Exodus

Numbers

Deuteronomy

Joshua

What is the truth regarding the passages above as it relates to the three questions above?

The truth is, Jesus did not repeat all of His history for us in a short 3.5 years. He did not, for example, create our world and all of its myriad organisms during those years. And yet, we know from the Old Testament how He did this. Jesus caused no manna to fall from Heaven during His 3.5 years of ministry on earth, and yet we know that He did this for 40 years from the Old Testament. Jesus said in John 5:39 that we are to "search the scriptures...and they are they which testify of Me." Those scriptures which testify of Christ were the Old Testament scriptures, every one of them. No portion of the New Testament was yet written, so far as we know, when Jesus spoke those words. By this commandment, Jesus sanctioned the view that His character is revealed throughout the Old Testament scriptures.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Will] #131979
03/19/11 11:47 PM
03/19/11 11:47 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Will
I was giving this topic some thought, or at least the theme, and part of the big picture.
In those ancient times, the Israelites were God's people, His children, and if any of you are parents, what would you do for your children to protect them?
I know that when the Amelekites were not slaughtered as God commanded, this resulted in Haman remaining alive, and genocide against the Israelites was a very real possibility.
God Bless,
-Will
Good thoughts, Will. There are ramifications to our neglect of following God's orders, however illogical they might seem to us. Many of God's commands have been perceived as inappropriate on the part of the ones addressed. Gideon surely must have wondered at the military reductions he was told to make. Where he thought he needed more, God saw that he needed less. We might think we know what is best and right, but God has an entirely different thought and understanding of which we may be oblivious.

Speaking of which...did Gideon do what was best? As a missionary, I can see some other potential "options" for him. Why not send forth evangelists to convert those heathen enemies? wink

Instead of questioning God's Word, we should trust God. At the end of the conflict, God will be vindicated as Just and Holy in all He has done, including the purging of sin through various times and means to the point of death.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Green Cochoa] #131983
03/20/11 02:48 AM
03/20/11 02:48 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:

Green, it sounds as though you are saying, yes, to all three questions. You also seem to be saying it was Jesus, not Satan, who consumed N&A.

I agree with you that Jesus did not demonstrate, while here in the flesh, everything He demonstrated in the OT.

Page 39 of 105 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!