HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 15
Rick H 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 3,150 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17
Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation [Re: Mountain Man] #131968
03/19/11 07:57 PM
03/19/11 07:57 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Will,

In the quotes above, Ellen uses the Bible to support her explanations.

Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation [Re: NJK Project] #131972
03/19/11 08:42 PM
03/19/11 08:42 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
R: I understand the approval of Christ's sacrifice in Christ's first ascension was something just between Christ and the Father, whereas the approval in His second ascension was a public one, before all the universe.
NJKP: I do not see anything in the SOP, as presently organized/related, that describes what happened between Christ and God in the first ascension.

DA 790.3 seems to imply it was a private meeting between Christ and the Father.
However, on studying a little more about the subject and taking a look at other sources, like 3SP 202, 203; 206.1, I realized that the accounts of the two ascensions do seem to be very similar.
Yet I don't see why the facts described, although very similar, can't have happened twice.

It wouldn't make sense for Christ to have been 40 days in heaven without being enthroned. Besides, the ceremony of His enthronement couldn't have lasted 50 days, being interrupted several times while He returned to earth.

Christ's ascension to heaven was the signal that His followers were to receive the promised blessing. For this they were to wait before they entered upon their work. When Christ passed within the heavenly gates, He was enthroned amidst the adoration of the angels. As soon as this ceremony was completed, the Holy Spirit descended upon the disciples in rich currents, and Christ was indeed glorified, even with the glory which He had with the Father from all eternity. The Pentecostal outpouring was Heaven's communication that the Redeemer's inauguration was accomplished. According to His promise He had sent the Holy Spirit from heaven to His followers as a token that He had, as priest and king, received all authority in heaven and on earth, and was the Anointed One over His people. AA 38, 39

Ellen White says that Christ was on earth during the 40 days:

For forty days Christ remained on the earth, preparing the disciples for the work before them and explaining that which heretofore they had been unable to comprehend. He spoke of the prophecies concerning His advent, His rejection by the Jews, and His death, showing that every specification of these prophecies had been fulfilled. He told them that they were to regard this fulfillment of prophecy as an assurance of the power that would attend them in their future labors. "Then opened He their understanding," we read, "that they might understand the Scriptures, and said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behooved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem." AA 26.3

Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation [Re: Mountain Man] #131974
03/19/11 09:17 PM
03/19/11 09:17 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Will,

In the quotes above, Ellen uses the Bible to support her explanations.

I don't see them MM, unless its cited in the book the quotes came from?

Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation [Re: Will] #131975
03/19/11 09:21 PM
03/19/11 09:21 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Thanks Rosangela, I think I'm more confused and this is just due to my narrow understanding of something so wonderful, vast, and eternal as Jesus Christ's ministry, and eternal Glory smile

My confusion stems from looking at the Sanctuary Services as they pointed to Christ and how those services typified Christs ministry and resurrection, and I am confused if there is anything that points to that which would illustrate His ascension briefly right after He rose from the grave.
My purpose is to learn more, cause I don't doubt that He could have gone up briefly, anything is possible. However in considering comparing Scripture upon Scripture, it would really help me.

Will, No, I don't think there is something in the sanctuary service which typified this. It's a detail added by Ellen White. However, it helps us to understand why Jesus didn't permit Mary to touch and worship Him, saying He hadn't ascended to the Father (John 20:17) but later, on the same day, permitted other disciples to do it (Matt. 28:9).

Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation [Re: Rosangela] #131976
03/19/11 09:30 PM
03/19/11 09:30 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Thanks Rosangela, that's what I'm talking about smile Makes perfect sense why Jesus would say one thing and do another, when the reason was regarding His ascension.
God Bless,
Will

Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation [Re: Rosangela] #131980
03/20/11 01:07 AM
03/20/11 01:07 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec

Rosangela and Mountain Man: In reading your SOP statements which you have found, I actually find more support for my initial observation on EGW and this Ascension event: She was given a vision of what occurred but was not told sepcifically when it occurred. This chronological detail was left to her understanding and at first, in e.g., 3SP 202, 203; 206.1 and even in 1SG 74.1 she tied it to the first ascension. However, ca. 20 years later, in DA she tied it to the last ascension. It seems to me that this switch was done by “permission” and not “commission” (i.e., I was shown). As she indeed does not make explicit “I was shown” statements in the Conflict of the Ages books, it is difficult to know what was direct revelation and what was her understanding, however, based from her own past “corrections” it is easy to understand that even in saying “as Christ ascended from his disciples” that may not have been from a direct revelation, but merely an assumption. An example of this is seen in one of Alden Thompson’s (Inspiration p. 290-295) examples of such SOP corrections with EGW understanding of Christ’s words to his mother at Cana in 2SP 101, 102 vs. DA 146.

As quoted by Mountain Man, DA 790.4 shows that Christ began “receiving gifts” from the time of his first ascension. Again EGW in AA ties it directly to the end of a seemingly 10 day celebration of Christ coronation. However, while I believe that there was an extended coronation ceremony in heaven, that could have typologically lasted 50 days from Passover to Pentecost, I think again here that EGW was not precisely told that it was directly stemming from the final ascension. In other words that royal/coronet ceremony could have indeed begun with the first ascension and been celebrated for a few hours each day, over 50 days, probably as details in the GC up to then were gradually adjudged and resolved amongst the angels and other Heavenly beings. Christ would then occasionally make returns (at least 5 in total) back to earth.

Seems to me that EGW understood the wavesheaf to be perfectly applicable to both Christ and the resurrected saints.

So like many visions of EGW where she was given a series of events in succession, but later was given more information and revelations that showed that other things occurred in between, I also see that her ascension and coronation celebration visions were given as a whole, covering those 50 days, however she did not see this delineation and so, finally in DA and early AA and just tied everything together there.

I’ll add here, not as a knock against the SOP, but in proper understanding that EGW was first and foremost human, I always found AA and PK to be quite filmsy and relatively, in terms of revelatory content, “weak,” and that is understood by me to be because they were both hastily written and also while EGW was getting much older i.e., published in 1911 and (1917), respectively. By then, ca. 4 years from her death, old age was really taken its tole on her and she had indeed considerably curtailed her past active work, indeed to focus more on her writing. So I have found particularly AA in certain areas to be readily exegetically disproven as she was then mainly just restating things as they appeared in her main Bible version then. Indeed deeper exegesis on simply the translation of the Bible (e.g, KJV, ASV).

So I actually have found further substantiation for my chronological confusion observation here. To me, if she wrongly placed this event at the end of DA rather than right after the resurrection, does not affect my view of the SOP in any way. If she did not think that this could ever occurred. She would not, pre-emptively actually, urge SDA’s to make the Bible the final arbitrator in such matters.

So as her prior first ascension view best harmonizes all of the involved elements here, I see it as being the correct and only occurrence of this Heavenly procession, approval and ensuing coronation before Christ returned on earth, but also the start of a celebration/judgement (= a second fulfillment of Rev 12:7-12, completing this long lasting (state of) “war” and its aftermath) that probably lasted for 50 days.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation [Re: NJK Project] #131981
03/20/11 02:27 AM
03/20/11 02:27 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: NJK
Christ would then occasionally make returns (at least 5 in total) back to earth.

Please point out the 5 times Jesus ascended to heaven.

Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation [Re: Mountain Man] #131982
03/20/11 02:35 AM
03/20/11 02:35 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
I realized that the accounts of the two ascensions do seem to be very similar.

In what ways? They seem to be more dissimilar.

Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation [Re: Mountain Man] #131984
03/20/11 04:36 AM
03/20/11 04:36 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Originally Posted By: NJK
Christ would then occasionally make returns (at least 5 in total) back to earth.

Please point out the 5 times Jesus ascended to heaven.

I have enumerated and referenced these visits (and by natural implications, also “ascensions” even if solely to “return” to Heaven, which manifestly needed “powered assistance” e.g., Acts 1:9) in this prior post.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation [Re: Mountain Man] #131985
03/20/11 04:44 AM
03/20/11 04:44 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
I realized that the accounts of the two ascensions do seem to be very similar.

In what ways? They seem to be more dissimilar.

I think the cited SOP accounts on this clearly speak for themselves, actually, exactitude. One, the DA account, simply goes into deeper details, but the outline, issues and developments of events are identical. Which leads me to see that they are indeed one and the same. Which is why I ask, why would the same things occur twice when, in that first ascension account (3SP 203.1) the issue was already fully resolved as Jesus did go on to receive worship from the angels. A “redundancy” here really makes not Spiritual, Theological or Logical sense, at least to me. So the only issue here is how and why EGW was "chronologically" mistaken.

Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!