HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 15
Rick H 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,868 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: kland] #132912
04/25/11 03:54 PM
04/25/11 03:54 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: kland
Originally Posted By: Elle
Acknowledging we have no Freewill reverse the Fall of Lucifer and Man

Thinking that we have the inherent abilities is the heart of Lucifer’s fall. This led into the belief that we can govern ourself as gods which he promoted at the tree of knowledge to man(Gn 3:5-6).
If I'm understanding correctly you to say we have no free will, it does sound from what you say that Lucifer had free will.

Hi Kland, I appreciate your interest in this topic. I think you read too quickly or not entirely what I posted for you are saying something I've never said. Read the section under the title How Lucifer fell & Vanity of the Mind in post #132871. Hope that will clarify things.

Blessings
Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: Elle] #132926
04/25/11 08:18 PM
04/25/11 08:18 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Yes, that was from what I concluded my comment. I realize you didn't intend to say such, but that's what it came across and comes across to me. Unless you are saying God caused Lucifer to have pride? Which I don't think you are saying either.

Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: kland] #132927
04/25/11 08:19 PM
04/25/11 08:19 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Maybe, give an example of free will.

Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: Elle] #132929
04/25/11 08:56 PM
04/25/11 08:56 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Acknowledging we have no Freewill reverse the Fall of Lucifer and Man

Thinking that we have the inherent abilities is the heart of Lucifer’s fall. This led into the belief that we can govern ourself as gods which he promoted at the tree of knowledge to man(Gn 3:5-6).
If I'm understanding correctly you to say we have no free will, it does sound from what you say that Lucifer had free will.

Hi Kland, I appreciate your interest in this topic. I think you read too quickly or not entirely what I posted for you are saying something I've never said. Read the section under the title How Lucifer fell & Vanity of the Mind in post #132871. Hope that will clarify things.

Sorry Kland, I’m the one who didn’t read your post properly. I now see your point and I’m glad you’ve expressed it. That might help to make a clear distinction if I can find the proper words.

Just because we have the ability to think and reason, doesn’t equate we have freewill, nor does it mean we are capable or design to govern ourself. If we acknowledge that all things come from God including our thoughts and our will; then God is indeed Sovereign over all including over our own minds, then the reality is there is no freewill.

However, if you believe that “you” are the one that govern your own mind and thoughts and can come to reason and some understanding on your own; then you believe that you have inherent abilities that is independent from God and can come to your own decisions by your own abilities of your own mind. Therefore God is not the Sovereign God over your mind and has design man to govern his own thoughts and make his own choices.

Sadly, most Christian do believe that they can govern their own mind(heart), because God did subject us to our corrupt mind(heart)(Rom 1:24, 26, 28; 2Ch 30:7; Ps 81:12; Act7:42) at the fall. However, it still doesn’t prove that we can govern our own mind, nor that we have a freewill just because God, in His wisdom, let us learn reality through this subjection of our vanity (Rom 8:20) so we can come to learn righteousness(Is 29:6; Hab 1:12) through the judgments of God.

Blessings
Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: kland] #132930
04/25/11 09:40 PM
04/25/11 09:40 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Yes, that was from what I concluded my comment. I realize you didn't intend to say such, but that's what it came across and comes across to me. Unless you are saying God caused Lucifer to have pride? Which I don't think you are saying either.

Ok, I re-read that section and I just can't see where it might come across as Lucifer has some freewill. Could you give me exactly the sentence(s) where it gave you that impression. I do acknowledge that I'm not skilled in writing and can see that it is possible. So I would appreciate you could show me where.

Originally Posted By: Kland

OK. Let’s do define what is freewill.

Maybe we can take as an example our freewill in regards to our salvation. Most Christian believes that we are the one that choose to follow Jesus and come to Jesus by our own freewill. However, is this biblically correct? It doesn’t matter what we think, what’s important is what is the truth in all of this.

Here’s are some quotes I got from another SDA forum in a freewill discussion that I partook. These are words from SDAs defining their perception of their freewill in regards to salvation :

1. God has given the "choice" to serve him to every being in His vast universe. This was what Adam and Eve did in the Garden of Eden. Eve "chose" to listen to and then believe satan over God. Then Adam "chose" to suffer the fate of doing so with Eve.

2. "Unfortunately, most individuals choose to follow their carnal nature, instead of denying themselves for the greater good of others.

3. "They(the disciples) already had a love for the truth, and a hatred for the injustice of the superstitions, and traditions and the authority of men."

4. Meaning they either choose God or their own sinful ways

5. I personally believe that everyone gets on the right path, at some point. But most of them don't stay on for very long. That is not God's choice. It's their choice.

6. It's a whole lifetime of choices, that makes us who we are. The more you choose to sew to the spirit, the stronger your faith will be to endure temptation.

7. The iniquity came from Lucifer. It started with him, because of his decisions, not Gods:

8. If we don't make the choice, and are not willing to do the works, then we will be lost.

9. Every action has too parts. Choice and action.

10. The bible is very clear that there is NO EXCUSE for sin and that God will in nowise clear the guilty.

11. That question is: "Which authority will we obey?" That is the bottom line. This is the choice free moral agents are faced with. The smart choice is to obey the source of all wisdom

12. The individual's final choice of whether they will obey God or not, lies with the individual and the individual alone."

13. You choose now who you will serve God or satan? Its still your choice my friends."

14. God created we human beings with a free will, He does not force any to accept the gift of salvation. ….They are lost because they chose not to be saved.

15. The Bible says that Christ, if He is lifted up will "draw" all men to Himself. All will be drawn, but all will not be saved because many "despise" the gift freely given.

16. We "accept" the free gift and become "reconciled" to Him. He always initiates salvation.

17. So we choose to accept or reject God's grace.

18. It's a very sobering time, we live in. We have to make the right choices.

19. He said before the foundations of the world were laid he knew his elect. That does not mean that he hand picked them out of a list of people. It simply means that he knew who would choose to serve him. Just because he knows who will obey does not mean that he in anyway affects who will choose him. Eventhough he knows that people will not obey he still allows them to make that choice.

20. People set their own destinies, by the choices they make, and the paths they choose to follow.

21. God has granted each one of us a free will and we therefore choose whether we accept Christ, whether we stay with Christ and whether we die in Christ - whether we listen to the pleadings of the Holy Spirit. So, God's intention is that all should be saved - all humans are predestined to salvation in that sense - it is just down to us to make the decisions.

22. He chose us, all of us, to be saved - if we desire it.

Blessings
Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: Elle] #132933
04/25/11 10:35 PM
04/25/11 10:35 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Elle, it seems to me that without free will, we cannot love. How would we be able to love without free will?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: Tom] #132943
04/26/11 09:32 AM
04/26/11 09:32 AM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Tom
Elle, it seems to me that without free will, we cannot love. How would we be able to love without free will?

Hi Tom, I appreciate you bring your perspective to this important question of freewill.

First, your question assumes we have some inherent ability to love. Do you believe that man has an inherent ability to Love? Could you quote me from the Bible, how it defines love and what is man's true ability to produce this?

Blessings
Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: Elle] #132947
04/26/11 12:39 PM
04/26/11 12:39 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Elle, you showed what others thought was free will. Is that what you believe such as, choosing to serve God or choosing their own sinful ways?

Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: kland] #132954
04/26/11 04:03 PM
04/26/11 04:03 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Elle, you showed what others thought was free will. Is that what you believe such as, choosing to serve God or choosing their own sinful ways?

??????

Kland you ask me for an example of freewill. I gaved you what people like yourself believe. I gaved you 22 example statement of freewill. I never said that I believe these are true. ???

I’m not following you? I hope we’re not going to go through what we went through the last time we had a discussion together!?! If you have something to say, please just be straight forward and as clear as possible.

Here is the quotes of our conversation.

Originally Posted By: Kland

OK. Let’s do define what is freewill.

Maybe we can take as an example our freewill in regards to our salvation. Most Christian believes that we are the one that choose to follow Jesus and come to Jesus by our own freewill. However, is this biblically correct? It doesn’t matter what we think, what’s important is what is the truth in all of this.

Here’s are some quotes I got from another SDA forum in a freewill discussion that I partook. These are words from SDAs defining their perception of their freewill in regards to salvation :

1. God has given the "choice" to serve him to every being in His vast universe. This was what Adam and Eve did in the Garden of Eden. Eve "chose" to listen to and then believe satan over God. Then Adam "chose" to suffer the fate of doing so with Eve.

2. "Unfortunately, most individuals choose to follow their carnal nature, instead of denying themselves for the greater good of others.

3. "They(the disciples) already had a love for the truth, and a hatred for the injustice of the superstitions, and traditions and the authority of men."

4. Meaning they either choose God or their own sinful ways

5. I personally believe that everyone gets on the right path, at some point. But most of them don't stay on for very long. That is not God's choice. It's their choice.

6. It's a whole lifetime of choices, that makes us who we are. The more you choose to sew to the spirit, the stronger your faith will be to endure temptation.

7. The iniquity came from Lucifer. It started with him, because of his decisions, not Gods:

8. If we don't make the choice, and are not willing to do the works, then we will be lost.

9. Every action has too parts. Choice and action.

10. The bible is very clear that there is NO EXCUSE for sin and that God will in nowise clear the guilty.

11. That question is: "Which authority will we obey?" That is the bottom line. This is the choice free moral agents are faced with. The smart choice is to obey the source of all wisdom

12. The individual's final choice of whether they will obey God or not, lies with the individual and the individual alone."

13. You choose now who you will serve God or satan? Its still your choice my friends."

14. God created we human beings with a free will, He does not force any to accept the gift of salvation. ….They are lost because they chose not to be saved.

15. The Bible says that Christ, if He is lifted up will "draw" all men to Himself. All will be drawn, but all will not be saved because many "despise" the gift freely given.

16. We "accept" the free gift and become "reconciled" to Him. He always initiates salvation.

17. So we choose to accept or reject God's grace.

18. It's a very sobering time, we live in. We have to make the right choices.

19. He said before the foundations of the world were laid he knew his elect. That does not mean that he hand picked them out of a list of people. It simply means that he knew who would choose to serve him. Just because he knows who will obey does not mean that he in anyway affects who will choose him. Eventhough he knows that people will not obey he still allows them to make that choice.

20. People set their own destinies, by the choices they make, and the paths they choose to follow.

21. God has granted each one of us a free will and we therefore choose whether we accept Christ, whether we stay with Christ and whether we die in Christ - whether we listen to the pleadings of the Holy Spirit. So, God's intention is that all should be saved - all humans are predestined to salvation in that sense - it is just down to us to make the decisions.

22. He chose us, all of us, to be saved - if we desire it.

Now are any of my examples statement any good? Can you define what you believe freewill is for us?

Also could you please reply to my question bolded and underline below:

Ok, I re-read that section and I just can't see where it might come across as Lucifer has some freewill. Could you give me exactly the sentence(s) where it gave you that impression. I do acknowledge that I'm not skilled in writing and can see that it is possible. So I would appreciate you could show me where.

Blessings
Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: Elle] #132957
04/26/11 08:43 PM
04/26/11 08:43 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
T:Elle, it seems to me that without free will, we cannot love. How would we be able to love without free will?

E:Hi Tom, I appreciate you bring your perspective to this important question of freewill.

First, your question assumes we have some inherent ability to love. Do you believe that man has an inherent ability to Love? Could you quote me from the Bible, how it defines love and what is man's true ability to produce this?

If you're talking about agape, I don't believe man has an inherent ability to do that, but that agape comes from God as a gift. However, ordinary love, like a man loves a woman (or vice versa), or loving one's parents or one's children, I think it's obvious we have the ability to do that. I don't think we need to prove that from Scripture. Or do you disagree?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!