HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,974 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 70 of 105 1 2 68 69 70 71 72 104 105
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #132614
04/12/11 05:44 AM
04/12/11 05:44 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: NJK
T:In the last plague, the eldest sons were killed. The implication is, if you don't do what God says, more will be killed. To suggest that this isn't compelling a decision isn't a credible suggestion.

If I kill a child of yours, and threaten to kill another one if you don't do what I say, sure, I can say you're free to do what you want, that I'm not compelling you, but that rings hollow. This is certainly an example of my using force to compel you to do my will.

NJK:I most manifestly, even evidently, see here how your view actually is defaultly faulting and impeaching the Character of God.

I haven't found any fault whatsoever with God's character, but only your understanding of it. Where have I said anything negative at all regarding God's character, or found any fault with it?

I should add that, in saying that I find fault with your understanding of God's character, I don't wish to imply that my understanding of it is perfect; not by any means! However, I'm not aware of anything regarding my conception of God's character that another would find negative.

Quote:
That is why you prefer to ignore or vainly explain away such OT passages.

I'm understanding what is written according to the following principles:

1.God is often presented in Scripture as doing that which He permits.

2.Jesus Christ fully revealed God's character.

In particular, the second statement, when it really hit me what it was saying, had a profound impact upon how I saw things.

Quote:
God was not saying to Egypt that I will kill more if you don’t obey me here. As exegesis clearly shows, God actually “(forcefully) hardened” Pharoah’s heart so that that Plague also can be done, indeed by the 6th plague exegesis shows that God was acting to harden Pharaoh’s heart when necessary.

This doesn't help any. That is, it doesn't speak any better of God's character; worse, actually. At least, it appears you're saying that God undertook an action, the result of which was, that He would kill innocent children. Not only did God threaten to kill the innocent children if a given demand wasn't met, but God, worse than this, took steps to make sure that the demand wouldn't be met.

I sincerely hope I'm misunderstanding you here, but, if not, I cannot imagine why you would think such a representation of God's character is in the least appealing, nor of what you think it could have in common with the character Jesus Christ revealed.

Quote:
Your theology won’t allow for that exegetically plain reading, however it clearly is stated, and thus implied that God wanted Pharaoh to resist up through the 10th Plagues.

This isn't Scriptural.

Quote:
(The Lord is) not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. (2 Pet. 3:9; NASB)

As I said before, the reverential question here is to (hopefully “prayerfully”) as “why”.

"What?" would be a good question.

Quote:
I did, and here is the Biblical answer I was impressed with, in succinct bullet points. (See especially Exod 1 and PP 241ff for most Biblical allusions)

-When God had began establishing Israel, He had no land to given them yet as no kingdom was yet fully deserving of being judged for their sins.

-Israel therefore had to settle in a place where they could relatively be safe as they were greatly and rapidly increased by God. So God sent them to Egypt through an act which made them favored at first.

-Indeed when they increased, and became a natural threat where they could also join an invading army against Egypt, the Egyptians enslaved them. Other nations would probably have sought to kill them if they had not been in a land (which really could not happen as all lands belonged a nation, especially the Great Power of Egypt).

-(Slavery was also an object lesson for Israel for their future to impress them to be obedient in order to avoid losing their freedom and land.)

Do you think slavery was very successful at this? Ever? You're making it sound as if it were God's will that Israel should be made slaves. Isn't it evident that the powers of Egypt acted contrary to God's will in not remembering Joseph? Or do you think God is in favor of slavery, or that slavery is not an evil?

What I believe is that God permitted the slavery to occur, and that God is able to work blessings out of evil, but slavery is evil, and evil is never God's will.

Quote:
-then when Israel still could not be controlled and loyalty assured despite enslavement, Egypt began to kill the males of Israel by throwing them into the Nile. That went on for at least three months in “full force” (PP 242.2). As Aaron was 3 years older than Moses (Exod 7:7), and Aaron was alive, then it may have been going on for up to these 3 years of difference. I further do not see any indication when, even if it ever ended up Israel’s Exodus, despite Moses having been rescued through a seemingly unique, and God-inspired, idea.

This last phrase isn't a sentence.

Quote:
(Point it out to me if you know).

I don't know what you want me to point out. When what? I don't see that you explained what the "when" was referring to.

Quote:
Indeed the Egyptians original threat was only increasing and God had not yet actively intervene in it. So this killing may have been going own for over 80 years until Moses returned to deliver Israel. That would mean that millions of Israelite male children were so killed during this time.

-So the Ten plagues, indeed sustained by God to their full extent, when Pharaoh wanted to concede by the 6th plague, was done on one side to make Egypt freely give Israel much substance as reparations for the years of enslavement and the Tenth Plague, to justly venge the death of potentially/probably millions of Hebrew Male Children. (Deut 32:35; Psa 94:1; cf. Rom 12:19; Heb 10:30, 31)

It's hardly "freely" if done under duress. That's the opposite of "freely."

Quote:
-Also the first-born was a sort of god to Egyptians so it also defeated that, probably most revered figment of a god of their.

So God was acting justly in all of this and that is why He was hardening Pharaoh’s heart through those 10 plagues as forcefully necessary.

The following explains what true justice is:

Quote:
Thus has the LORD of hosts said, 'Dispense true justice and practice kindness and compassion each to his brother;(Zech: 7:9 (NASB)

Quote:
So Pharaoh did not even really have to option to refuse this 10 phase just judgement that God wanted to do.

Didn't have the option to refuse! So pharaoh didn't have free will. Again, this hardly helps in terms of presenting a defense of God's character.

Quote:
And if God had wanted to compel Egypt, that 10th plague directly (if not only) involving human death, would have been done first, then 2nd born for the second plague, etc.

One could argue that God, out of mercy, was trying to apply the least amount of force necessary, and only increased the force of the plagues because He wasn't getting His way with less force.

Quote:
Again the way to understand the Character of God is to defaultly give him the benefit of the doubt and then reverentially/prayerfully ask why.

The way to understand the character of God is to study Jesus Christ, who was sent for the very purpose of revealing God's character, which had be so sorely misunderstood.

Quote:
And the answer is indeed in His OT words and revelation, with Jesus also confirming that God is a God of justice.

Not just confirming God is a God of justice, but demonstrating the truth of God's justice:

Quote:
Thus has the LORD of hosts said, 'Dispense true justice and practice kindness and compassion each to his brother;(Zech. 7:9)

As well, Jesus Christ revealed the Father.

I appreciate your effort in writing all this, but it still remains that threatening to kill someone's child if they don't do what you're telling them to do is using force. If you say that Pharaoh wasn't threatened because God forced him to do what He wanted him to do by hardening his heart, that hardly helps the argument that God doesn't use force to get His way.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #132615
04/12/11 07:27 AM
04/12/11 07:27 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
MM:1. In the OT, why did Jesus command godly people to kill ungodly people in battle?

M: Seems to me you believe Jesus commanded godly people to kill ungodly people in battle because 1) the Jews failed to trust Jesus to defeat their enemies in a godly way, and 2) the Jews expected Him to think and behave like a pagan god. Do you agree with my assessment of your view as it relates to the question above?

T: No, of course not. But surely you must know that.

M:Please elaborate.

Consider the story of the father/hunter. What was the father's will in regards to his son? What did the father do and say to his son? Could his words be misconstrued by someone overhearing the conversation?

If you don't remember the story, I can refresh hour memory.

Quote:

M: Was Jesus, while here in the flesh (as opposed to after He returned to heaven), forced to command godly people to kill ungodly people in battle?

T: What are the principles laid out in GC 35-37? That's the important question. Did Jesus Christ teach and embody these principles? Yes, He did. Where we're disagreeing is in regards to what we think God is like. I believe God's character was revealed fully by Jesus Christ, and the best revelation was the cross. Rather than use force to get His way, Jesus Christ voluntarily submitted to torture and a horrible death from the very creatures He came to save. This is what God is like. Not just sometimes, but all the time. The principles explained in GC 35-37 are in harmony with what Jesus Christ revealed. Your perceptions of God's character appear to me to be schizophrenic. Some of the time, as it appears to me you see things, He exhibits the qualities Jesus Christ embodied on earth, especially at the cross, but other times He acts indistinguishably from Satan, leaving us with no means to know who is acting.

M:I don’t understand how your response answers the question above.

I explained the principles I felt your question was trying to get at. Your question was simply a yes/no question, of which a one-word answer wouldn't be very useful, I didn't feel.

You've asked many questions similar to the above, and each time it appears to me the motivation is to argue why the SOP statement that "all that man can know of God was revealed in the life and character of His Son" is false. You've already stated categorically that it doesn't include "His strange act." Perhaps your question above is another manifestation of this same point.

Well, we're simply in disagreement regarding this point. I think the statement that all we need to know, or can know, of God was revealed in the life and character of Jesus Christ is 100% true, including "His strange act," or anything else regarding God's character that one can think of.

Quote:

2. In the OT, why did Jesus command godly people to kill ungodly people through the execution of capital punishment?

T: You repeated yourself.

Why do you think so?

Because you asked the same question twice! Look at your post.

Quote:

M: Was Jesus, while here in the flesh (as opposed to after He returned to heaven), forced to command godly people to kill ungodly people in obedience to divine laws requiring capital punishment?

T: What's your argument here? That since Jesus Christ, while here in the flesh, wasn't forced to command godly people to kill ungodly people in obedience to divine laws requiring capital punishment, it therefore follows that it's not the case that all that we can know of God was revealed by Him? I can't think of why you would ask this question otherwise. Why not just set forth your argument?

M:You wrote, “Jesus Christ, while here in the flesh, wasn't forced to command godly people to kill ungodly people in obedience to divine laws requiring capital punishment.”

It's really confusing to read something like this. I didn't write this. You wrote this.

Quote:
Is this your answer to the question above?

No.

Quote:
In response to your question, I believe the OT Jesus commanded godly people to kill ungodly people in obedience to divine laws requiring capital punishment, and the fact the NT Jesus did not do so makes it clear He did not demonstrate this attribute of God’s character while here in the flesh.

Ok, you disagree with Ellen White's statement. I agree with it, and disagree with you. I think you're misunderstanding what an attribute of God's character is. At "attribute" is

Quote:
A quality or feature regarded as a characteristic or inherent part of someone or something.

In regards to God's character, these would be things like "mercy, compassion, integrity" and so forth.

Quote:
Exodus
22:20 He that sacrificeth unto [any] god, save unto the LORD only, he shall be utterly destroyed.

Numbers
15:35 And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.

Deuteronomy
2:34 And we took all his cities at that time, and utterly destroyed the men, and the women, and the little ones, of every city, we left none to remain:
20:17 But thou shalt utterly destroy them; [namely], the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee:

Joshua
10:40 So Joshua smote all the country of the hills, and of the south, and of the vale, and of the springs, and all their kings: he left none remaining, but utterly destroyed all that breathed, as the LORD God of Israel commanded.

M: Seems to me you believe Jesus was reluctantly willing to command the kinds of things described in the passages above for as long as it would take Him to teach the Jews how to "turn the other cheek"? Is this what you believe?

T: I believe, as I've said so many times, that for us to properly interpret Scripture, we need to know God's character. I believe that the first order of business is to study the life and character of His Son, whose "whole purpose" was "the revelation of God." What is it that Jesus Christ revealed? What was Jesus Christ like? How did He treat His enemies? I don't believe that He acted any differently in the Old Testament than while here in the flesh. Do you?

M:Do the scriptures above require interpretation? Ellen wrote, “The language of the Bible should be explained according to its obvious meaning, unless a symbol or figure is employed.” {GC 598.3} “If we would not build our hopes of heaven upon a false foundation we must accept the Bible as it reads and believe that the Lord means what He says.” {5T 171.1} You seem to be saying, no, we cannot take the passages above at faced value because . . . . If so, why not?

She also counseled us to compare Scripture with Scripture. She wrote a lot about how erroneous ideas can be obtained in regards to Scripture. She wrote a lot in regards to the importance of understanding God's character. I've stated many times that a proper understanding of God's character is paramount to properly understanding Scripture. Do you disagree with this?

Assuming you don't, this begs the question of how we should obtain an knowledge of God's character. I believe the foundation must be Jesus Christ.

Ellen White wrote it would be well for us to spend a thoughtful hour each day meditating upon the life of Christ, taking each scene point by point, especially the last scenes. Why? So that we may understand God's character.

Everything hinges on this point. This is what the whole Great Controversy is about.

Quote:
The most important aspect of faith is our mental picture of God...(O)ur actual picture of God, not our theoretical knowledge about God, most influences how we feel about Him. It's impossible to enjoy a genuinely passionate and loving relationship with God when our mental picture of Him doesn't inspire passionate love.

Our picture of God not only influences our emotional response to God, it strongly influences our understanding of everything else in our life. (Boyd; "Is God to Blame?" p. 21)

Also it strongly influences our understanding of Scripture.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #132616
04/12/11 07:33 AM
04/12/11 07:33 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Jesus Himself said, “I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak.”

This doesn't contradict what Ellen White wrote. Even though there were things Jesus Christ did not say to the disciples, it does not follow that He didn't reveal all that man needs to know or can know of God. I can't think of why you would think that this would follow. There's no logical dependency here. This should be easy to see. All that needs to be the case for Ellen White's statement to be true, and Jesus' as well, is that the things which Jesus refrained from telling the disciples were referring to aspects of God's character which Jesus Christ had revealed (or would reveal) elsewhere.

And indeed, in regards to the context of the statement, what Jesus Christ could not reveal to the disciples by words, which they could not bear, *was* revealed to them by Christ when He died on the cross.

Quote:
M: If you agree the quotes above make it clear we are incapable, in our sinful state, of knowing everything there is to know about God, do you also agree we are incapable of knowing everything there is to know about "his strange act"?

T: I'm sure we can learn more about it.

M:When the Bible describes God causing death and destruction, why doesn’t it plainly say, in the immediate context, “God caused the death and destruction herein described by withdrawing His protection and giving His enemies permission to do it”?

Truth is progressive.

Quote:
For example, when fire flashed out from the presence of God in the most holy place and burned N&A alive, why doesn’t it plainly say, in the immediate context, “God withdrew His protection and permitted His enemies to kill them”?

Same response.

Quote:
By the way, if this is indeed what happened, did God give His enemies access to the most holy place?

This question doesn't make sense to me.

Quote:
And, where did they obtain the fire they used to burn N&A alive?

Nor this.

Quote:
While we’re at it, who were His enemies?

Those who hate God are God's enemies (but God is still their friend).

Quote:
M: Why do you think saying we are incapable, in our sinful state, of knowing everything there is to know about God is the same thing as saying - "All that man needs to know, or can know, of God was NOT revealed in the life and character of His son"?

T: Because these are different things. Don't you see that? I can explain it if you wish, but I think if you think it through, you should be able to see that these are different things.

M:I agree. They are different. But, as you can see, the question above was aimed at determining why you think otherwise. It’s obvious now, though, that you agree with me.

No, I disagree. You're original question wasn't well stated, and I misread it. Here's what you asked:

Quote:
Why do you think saying we are incapable, in our sinful state, of knowing everything there is to know about God is the same thing as saying - "All that man needs to know, or can know, of God was NOT revealed in the life and character of His son"?

This isn't something I think because it's obviously false. That these are different things should be obvious to you, and it should be obvious to you that I wouldn't think these are the same. This is what I should have said.

You're the one who was making the apparent argument that because we don't know everything about God in our sinful state the idea that all that we need to know of God or can know of God was revealed by Jesus Christ must be false. I certainly never expressed this idea.

You should be careful that you don't ask some question which has an assumed premise, and then, when the question is answered, pawn the assumed premise off on the one responding, as if that person had the original idea, rather than yourself. This isn't fair, and you have a tendency to do this, so I suggest being careful to guard against this.

Quote:

M: Also, do you think - "All that man needs to know, or can know, of God was revealed in the life and character of His son" - must be interpreted to mean "Jesus revealed everything there is to know about God while He was here in the flesh"?

T: Sure, of course. That's what it says. Well, the context is clearly dealing with Christ in His humanity, so if we accept that this is dealing with Christ's earthly mission, how else could it be read?

M:Why, then, did Jesus clearly say, “I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak”?

Yes, but this doesn't contradict the idea that Jesus Christ revealed all that man needs to know or can know of God, as I explained above.

Quote:
Ellen wrote:

Christ said to his disciples, “I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.” [John 16:12.] As the result of their early education, their ideas upon many points were incorrect, and they were not then prepared to understand and receive some things which he would otherwise have taught them. {GW92 301.1}

On one occasion Christ told His disciples, "I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now." Their limited comprehension put a restraint on Him. He could not open to them the truths He longed to unfold; for while their hearts were closed to them, His unfolding of these truths would be labor lost. {1SM 109.1}

Jesus saw that they did not lay hold of the real meaning of His words. He compassionately promised that the Holy Spirit should recall these sayings to their minds. And He had left unsaid many things that could not be comprehended by the disciples. These also would be opened to them by the Spirit. {DA 670.3}

She plainly says Jesus did not, could not, reveal everything there is to know about God while He was here in the flesh.

No, she said the opposite.

Quote:
You seem to disagree.

Of course I disagree, because your assertion is blatantly false. First of all, nowhere in the quotes you provided did she say, "Jesus did not, could not, reveal everything there is to know about God while He was here in the flesh." This is simply misstating what she said!

Secondly, she actually did say, "All that man needs to know or can know of God was revealed in the life and character of His Son." You disagree with this, which is fine, that's your prerogative, but that doesn't give you the right to assert that *she* disagreed with what she said!

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: NJK Project] #132623
04/12/11 01:56 PM
04/12/11 01:56 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
NJK, would you say it should be written as:

1. All Most that can be known of God was revealed by the life and teachings of Jesus Christ during His earthly mission.

or

1. All Some that can be known of God was revealed by the life and teachings of Jesus Christ during His earthly mission.

or

1. All Part of that can be known of God was revealed by the life and teachings of Jesus Christ during His earthly mission.

or

1. All A little that can be known of God was revealed by the life and teachings of Jesus Christ during His earthly mission.

Are you opposed to looking at Jesus to see what God is like instead of looking at the building to see what the corner stone is like?

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #132634
04/12/11 04:55 PM
04/12/11 04:55 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Originally Posted By: Tom
I asked you at the end if you didn't agree with any of the principles, and you said indeed, you don't. I'll repeat them here.

I have already explained why which you have not addressed. So simply restating them without addressing those replies, even if EGW stated them does not prove anything. Restating my substantively unaddressed points also is not necessary for me.

Please state these principles in a way that you would consider genuine.

Summarizing my already stated points based not merely on the SOP, but the Greater (both in content and rank) Testimony of the entire word of God (2 Tim 3:16, 17):

Tom: 1.All that can be known of God was revealed by the life and teachings of Jesus Christ during His earthly mission.

NJK: What was revealed about God by Jesus serves to understand why God acted and said what he did in the OT. No need to reword/repaint anything.

----

Tom: 2.God is just like Jesus Christ in character.

NJK: Jesus perfectly emulated the Father, substantively, as it actually applicable, spiritually, in manifesting the same Character principles.

----

Tom: 3.Jesus Christ was not violent, and taught anti-violence.

NJK: The God head does not use force to compel love or service but to necessarily and timely execute judgements and to instill a inceptive healthy fear, all to permit this GC to be fully fulfilled by the end of the feasibly self-capable allotted time.

----

Tom: 4.There are thousand dangers from which God protects us constantly. Any degree of destruction is possible by God's simply withdrawing His protection. There is no need for God to act actively to produce destruction.

NJK: God uses “supernatural” force to produce judgements and miracles when the natural elements, even threats in nature would not even if not restrained do so, and if eventually so, then not in the needed timely way.

----

Tom: 5.The use of force is contrary to the principles of God's government.

NJK: The use of for to compel love and service is contrary to the principles of God's government. The use of (mostly) ambivalently attributable and relatively/comparatively light force for a necessary preventive/protective/pre-emptive deterrent, and so that greater and more destructive force will not be used is part of God’s government in order to keep the playing field level in this GC, particularly for His faithful people vs. particularly ruthless and lawless enemies.

Quote:
T:You think it's necessary to investigate every incident which you list.

NJK:As in any science, an hypothesis needs to be tested to demonstrate that it is valid.

Tom: One doesn't need to investigate every incident to do so.

Indeed not. Just the one’s I’ve listed should be enough!

Quote:
NJK: I needed to see that done with your principles with my list of prominent events, indeed discussed in both the Bible and SOP, to see if that is, as you claim, the way to come to understand all other OT.

Tom: I disagree with this. I think what's necessary is to see God's character as revealed by Jesus Christ.

Then let’s throw out everything other than the Gospels since even what we “guidingly” learn from Christ does not need to be applied elsewhere in God’s Revelations.

Quote:
NJK:For the reasons I have stated many times, I do not substantively see the destruction of Jerusalem, as it collectively prophesied and brought about starting especially from Christ’s predicitons and how it transpired to be the all in all example of what will truly/fully happen when/whenever, if ever before, the “passion of God” is fully manifested.

Tom: It's the incident that we have the most information regarding, not including the cross. The cross would be the best study, as it reveals God's character far better than any other incident.

Still not substantively conclusive to me, even as expounded upon and applied by EGW. The plain and exegetical Biblical evidence against these EGW applications are too compelling. So I’ll follow the SOP’s counsel here.

Quote:
NJK:It seems to me self-evident that if you agreed with the principles we're discussing, that takes care of the issue, so I'll deal with these.

Quite sincerely Tom, because, mainly I have to ignore many explicit statements of direct and active acts of God in the Bible in order to view things as you do, I do not see your even SOP supposed/derived view (i.e., believing the SOP is 100% accurate here) as being valid.

Tom: That's because of your paradigm. Others with a different paradigm than you hold don't need to ignore these statements, but understand them differently than you do.

Engaging in actually exegetically rewording the Bible to fit an EGW statement is not Biblically acceptable to me, nor is it endorsed by the SOP. I’ll instead let the Bible decide when EGW was correct. I’ve done so many before with the consistent result of arrive at greater Biblical light, ironically enough thanks to perceived and confirmed inconsistencies between the Bible and the SOP and/or the EGW vs. the SOP. If your “paradigm” doesn’t allow for this then I see it as foundationally, Biblically, flawed. In all things, including EGW’s (vs. the SOP) comment: Isa 8:20.

God is often presented as doing that which He permits in Scripture. For example, it says in Numbers that God sent fiery serpents upon the Israelites, but what actually happened is God removed His protection.

As I see it, by first preventing this danger and then allowing it when Israel rebelled God did indeed send the serpents. It’s like flipping on the fusebox’s power switch while you know someone is still rewiring the water heaters circuitry. So the Bible is Theologically correct. How God performs a judgement whether in active or passive means makes no different.

It says in 1 Kings, that God sent lying spirits to Ahab, but what actually happened is God permitted.

1 Kgs 22:19-23 - In the Bible itself, in a vision that was shown to Micaiah, the Bible does indicate that God actually desired to do this and accepted to hear the offer of an evil spirit and upon ascertaining exactly how it would be done, he ‘commanded’ that Spirit to do this. (vs. 22b) So God did not merely passively permit this but indeed ordered it.

It says in Job that the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away, but this was said by one who didn't know of Satan's existence. When the curtain is pulled away, we see that it was an enemy who caused the things which happened to Job.

Job 1:8-12 - Here also it was God who actively told exactly what should be done to Job, even if it had been suggested by Satan. So God, through what he told Satan he could do did indeed took away what He had given. So the Bible is also accurate here.

These indeed are the only three examples that people cite for this view however I do not see any mandate or permission to reengineer everything in the Bible. Telling enough, you make no statement on Israel’s war and the executing of Capital Punishment

Quote:
SOP: “Christ never planted the seeds of death in the system. Satan planted these seeds when he tempted Adam to eat of the tree of knowledge which meant disobedience to God. Not one noxious plant was placed in the Lord’s great garden, but after Adam and Eve sinned, poisonous herbs sprang up. In the parable of the sower the question was asked the master, “Didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?” The master answered, “An enemy hath done this” (Matthew 13:27, 28). All tares are sown by the evil one. Every noxious herb is of his sowing, and by his ingenious methods of amalgamation he has corrupted the earth with tares. {2SM 288.2}”

Tom: This principle has many applications!

This is not a mandate to reword the Bible. The “system” is not ‘God’s action’. Indeed God uses these death elements to execute judgement on sin. Other times He supernaturally orchestrates His own.

Quote:
T:1.All that can be known of God was revealed by the life and teachings of Jesus Christ during His earthly mission.

NJK:Your stance here wants to preclude everything outside of the Gospel accounts.

Tom:First of all, it's not my stance.

NJK:Fine, but only in conceding part because I see too many additions to this SOP stated statement. I.e., excising and editing the OT, even SOP, of explicit statements

Tom: It's a very simple statement. Is simply says that all that we can know of God was revealed by Jesus Christ during His earthly mission. That's the context of the statement, and the context is very easy to understand. It doesn't need to be interpreted or edited or anything, but is easily understood simply as it reads.

Since it leads you to reword the rest of the Bible and/or outrightly ignore parts of it, I see no “Light” in how you are apply it.

Quote:
Tom: Here's a similar statement from a different author:

Originally Posted By: Boyd ("Is God to Blame?", p.34)
Whereas certain false teachers of his day (were) depicting Christ as one aspect of the display of God's fullness, Paul insists, as we have already seen, that "the whole fullness of deity" dwells in Christ (Col. 2:9). No aspect of God's fullness was withheld from the incarnation. All we can and need to know about God is found in Christ, for God fully dwells in and is revealed in Christ.

Still no mandate to reword the rest of the Bible and/or outrightly ignore parts of it.

It's interesting how similar this is to the SOP statement.

Literary thought borrowing could easily be the reason. Don’t expect him (or the ca. 40% of other American pastors in general who cite EGW as their most commonly read authors) to explicitly cite the SOP in his notes/bibliography.

Quote:

NJK: If this “violence” means malicious acts, then that statement if fully true.

Tom: It means "violent" in the ordinarily understood meaning of the term.

NJK:Well if you wanted to see it as involving any force then you should have said so then you should have insisted so.

Tom: One can use force without being violent, such as force being necessary to lift a weight. But when force is used to achieve one's way, by threat, for example, then it's difficult, if not impossible, to distinguish this from violence.

I don’t see God being “violent” in the Bible in any act of judgement and/or necessary defense. It is indeed difficult for man, not knowing all that God does, however it is only fair to God. Indeed just like a judge ordering death by lethal injection (or even other utilized means), nor the officer effectuating this sentence are being violent.

Also, if one considers an act, such as burning a person alive, it's difficult to see how this could be considered as other than a violent act.

The Bible still says that God did do such things at times in judgements and the SOP fully enjoins. And Israel was not commanded to throw sponge balls during capital punishments or tickle their enemies to death in war. Somehow you don’t see God as being responsible (in the non-impeaching sense) for commanding these actions to be done, in His name and to uphold His Law.

Indeed God calls such judgements actions His “Strange Acts”, warningly typify the final Hell judgement execution. Or do you also not/can’t believe in Hell where people may indeed be maintain alive in full sensory health for e.g., 57 years. (By the way did you even consider Christ’s “wish” in Luke 12:49)

And burning people alive was actually a scientifically and spiritually necessary means to actually cleanse/purge an evil vs. having to bury all the, even sickly infected, corpses.

Quote:
NJK: To me, perhaps to 19th century people (as with the word “mischief”) violence has a more malicious connotation than mere use of force.

Tom: "Force" is a term of physics, so can be a neutral term, but "violence" implies the intent to hurt someone or some thing, or to kill.

That’s what I have said and had in mind in requesting to use “force” instead of violence.

Quote:
NJK: And, does EGW herself ever say that ‘God is not violent’ to mean God does not use any force.

Tom: I don't know if she specifically says this, but she does say that the exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government.

Which, since it is “compelling force” that she means and not ‘(supernatural) force to execute judgment’ is not relatable nor synonymous with “violence.”

Quote:
NJK: Otherwise you would be imposing your understandings on hers.

Tom: That's very poor logic. The absence of the use of a particular phrase doesn't prove anything, which I'm sure you're well aware of. Because Ellen White didn't use some specific phrase or sentence cannot possibly imply that I'm imposing my understand on hers, and it's difficult to see how you could assert such a thing, which is so obviously false.

My logic had always been as expressed above. You, at the very least, did not see this.

Quote:
NJK: Indeed all I see her saying is He does not use ‘force to compel’ and that service to him.

Tom: If God says, "Do what I say, or I'll cause you to suffer unimaginable pain" or "Do what I say, or I'll kill your child," that's using 'force to compel.'

Have you ever read e.g., Deut 28:20ff, or is that also to be reword and excised. By your understanding just “saying” irrespective of how the promised judgements will be carried out is ‘compelling force’. Or is it, as you do elsewhere, that since it was Moses who said this then God is not “responsible”.

Quote:
NJK: Force to comply with an undisputable requirement that He is making in an acts of judgement as the Plagues after years of slavery seems to also not be a use of force to compel.

Tom: This isn't a very coherent sentence, but I think I understand what you're trying to say. Why are you saying such a thing? Surely threatening to kill someone's child if they don't do what the one threatening is insisting upon is an act of compulsion. There's no way this could not be the case.

Let’s stick to Biblical examples though God did makes such threats of inflicted capital death for disobedience including upon future generations.

Quote:
NJK: Indeed God was not seeking for Pharaoh to love or “serve” him but to comply with the command to Let Israel go from Egypt.

Tom: And, as you understand things (please correct me if this isn't the case), God threatened to kill his son if he didn't. Again, this is an act of compulsion.

Indeed I’ll correct you as the Bible exegetically indicates. God wanted to kill the first born of Egypt in the planned tenth plague as retribution for Israelite infant death and probably millions of more premature death during the life damaging physical oppressions over decades of hard slavery. Death to livestock first born probably venged the damage and privation of slavery upon Israel’s own livestock livelihood. God keeps a most accurate judicial record and ledger which also scientifically includes what normatively could have been over that given time.

Quote:
T:An illustration of Christ's teachings are where He explained that His kingdom is not of this world, and if it were, His servants would fight.

NJK:That is really a proof-text example.

Tom: It's a profound statement about the nature of Christ's kingdom.

NJK: All that Jesus is simply saying that He/His Servants are not engaging in military effort (like the Zealots) to establish His kingdom because it is not “out of” this world.

Tom: That's not all He's saying. It's more profound than that.

Exegetically, i.e., in strict context, Yes, as seconded by the SOP:

Originally Posted By: SOP DA 727.3
Christ affirmed that His word was in itself a key which would unlock the mystery to those who were prepared to receive it. It had a self-commending power, and this was the secret of the spread of His kingdom of truth.

The rest is “sermonic license” which is actually not synonymous with being Biblical.

Quote:
NJK: Not that any force, such as to execute capital punishment, is never acceptable. Indeed, as veiledly stated, because Jesus was not seeking to establish a typical kingdom as those of, and in the manner of, the world’s methods to do so, military campaigns to seek to get lands to establish it was not necessary. So Pilate had no tangible threat in that regards That kingdom was instead going to be done by conquering hearts instead.

Tom: The conquering of hearts is a good comment. That's indeed what the kingdom of Christ entails, and it should be easy to see that violence, or force, has no part in such conquering.

That has always been my point as the Bible, throughout, including the Gospels, copiously shows. Only when justice and judgement demand it is force and supernatural power used. And the includes miracle working power to, at the very least, merely forcefully overcome a GC-crucial, unjust evil.

Quote:
Tom 5.The use of force is contrary to the principles of God's government.

NJK: If it means “use force” then a statement like (Luke 22:35-38) could easily disprove this,

Tom: If you would cite what the references say, it's easier on the reader.

NJK: I don’t think I can afford that extra effort.

Tom: I think you can. Other people do. If you list a series of texts, you wouldn't have to provide the text for each one, but at least one would be a kindness to your reader.

It’s neither hard nor time consuming to open your Bible. I’ll only make the extra effort when it is exegetically necessary.

Quote:
NJK: I also figure people will prefer to read their favorite version, vs. my default NASB, so I only cite the reference.

Tom: A person's always free to consider another version...

Indeed though the truth actually lies in what the underlying original languages say and not surfacely what another version says.

but it's a kindness to the reader to not have to go looking to see what a text says.

Sanctimoniously paint it as you need to, it is still remains time consuming for me. People will do whatever they consider important to them. So I cannot be held responsible nor over burdened by that. Reading a post and looking up referenced text is far less time consuming as writing it and pasting texts. Looking them up to reference them, which is something you commonly don’t even bother to do, is time consuming enough. So if this is a quibbling excuse for you or anyone else to not read these Biblical references, then be my guest! Starting/continuing with this reference John 6:60, 61.

Quote:
NJK: Only when I see crucial exegetical improvements from the NASB do I quote the text with indicated improving edits.

Tom: This isn't the point. It would be the same thing if I quoted from the SOP, and you had to look up what it says. That's requiring extra work of you.

Well that’s my point and main concern! Perhaps if people, including you, put more and deeper thought, and did more exegetical efforts before responding to my post, I would have more time to post the text of Biblical references!

Quote:
T:When Jesus said, "It is enough," your understanding of this is that Jesus Christ was teaching that violence, or force, should be used?

NJK:Actually No. The context clearly says to me that the tow swords the disciples managed to find amongst themselves was enough.

Tom:
Originally Posted By: Clarke
It is enough. The meaning probably is, there is enough said on the subject; as immediately after this he entered into his agony.

Originally Posted By: Gill
it is enough, it is very well, I perceive you do not understand my meaning, and I shall say no more at present.

Again quoted because of ease; these were the first ones I came across.

So “ease” is a satisfactory criteria for you in this much more crucial area vs. seeking and ascertaining the best exegetical answer, especially despite being a Seminary graduate. (Matt 23:24)

I'm sure other commentaries make the same point.

How are you sure of that???? Because you want it to be so???

Clarke and Gill are exegetically unfounded, including the fact that Luke usually plainly expresses any veiled comments/references in his gospel account to his Gentile (Roman Officer) Theophilus. Such background info is also key to exegesis. And again, “sermonic license”, and needlessly defensive whitewashing at that, does not equate/trump exegetical correctness. And the word translated “enough” more literally means sufficient/considerable.

That Christ had this meaning in mind is clear to me (I understood it this way before looking at any commentaries). To see this statement of Christ's as a recommendation for violence seems absurd to me.

Of course, to you... Truth is exegetically and not subjectively determined.

Quote:
NJK: indeed as the time for this use of capable force had now come. Jesus indeed used light force to exact, or seek to exact, just acts from His opposers and enemies. (E.g., ‘not arresting Him as he was indeed God‘ John 18:5, 6 - DA 695.1). Christ’s miracles were also a use of supernatural force to this similar effect (see e.g., John 11:4, 40-42). This is also just like God to use shades of light force to seek to instill an inceptive fear in man (e.g, Egypt Plagues Exod 7:3-5; 11:9), yet, as seen with Christ’s arresters, man is free to be compelled by this force or not.

Tom: You're saying the Egyptian Plagues were "light force"? Should the 7 last plagues also be deemed "light force."?

NJK:Considering what God could have done to Egypt in even one plague, all of the limited and withdrawn plagues were relatively “light force”.

This would always be the case. God could always be more awful or horrible if He wanted to be, since He's omnipotent, but to describe the plagues in Egypt as "light force" seems like calling the holocaust "a minor evil."

(A) God is never horrible. Executing due and deserved Justice is not being horrible. Just a necessary/natural means to an end. ‘Awe-ful’, yes.

(B) Indeed as my point was, if Hitler had nuclear weapons, then the Holocaust might relatively be called so vs. hundreds of millions instantly vaporized in e.g., the U.K., France, Russia, The U.S., Canada, etc.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: kland] #132635
04/12/11 04:58 PM
04/12/11 04:58 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Originally Posted By: kland
NJK, would you say it should be written as:

1. All Most that can be known of God was revealed by the life and teachings of Jesus Christ during His earthly mission.

or

1. All Some that can be known of God was revealed by the life and teachings of Jesus Christ during His earthly mission.

or

1. All Part of that can be known of God was revealed by the life and teachings of Jesus Christ during His earthly mission.

or

1. All A little that can be known of God was revealed by the life and teachings of Jesus Christ during His earthly mission.

Are you opposed to looking at Jesus to see what God is like instead of looking at the building to see what the corner stone is like?

See in my latest post to Tom (#132364). The cornerstone does not cause the assembled e.g., marble building blocks to be switched for foam props, but merely serves to anchor them for the always intended solid building, as planned long ago (= OT). Jesus completed that plan. (Perfectly Imitating/Emulating God the Father, comprehensively in all ways). There is no mandate, as Tom arbitrarily does, for selective excising of the Bible.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #132636
04/12/11 07:47 PM
04/12/11 07:47 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Quote:
T:In the last plague, the eldest sons were killed. The implication is, if you don't do what God says, more will be killed. To suggest that this isn't compelling a decision isn't a credible suggestion.

If I kill a child of yours, and threaten to kill another one if you don't do what I say, sure, I can say you're free to do what you want, that I'm not compelling you, but that rings hollow. This is certainly an example of my using force to compel you to do my will.

NJK:I most manifestly, even evidently, see here how your view actually is defaultly faulting and impeaching the Character of God.

Tom: I haven't found any fault whatsoever with God's character, but only your understanding of it. Where have I said anything negative at all regarding God's character, or found any fault with it?

In the opening statement which you ‘implied’ must be a ‘baseless and deadly extorting, compelling act.’

I should add that, in saying that I find fault with your understanding of God's character, I don't wish to imply that my understanding of it is perfect; not by any means! However, I'm not aware of anything regarding my conception of God's character that another would find negative.

The problem is your understanding is not strictly and objectively guided b exegesis but subjectively by whatever fits your view and that includes, effectively placing EGW above the Biblical revelation.

Quote:
NJK: That is why you prefer to ignore or vainly explain away such OT passages.

Tom: I'm understanding what is written according to the following principles:

1.God is often presented in Scripture as doing that which He permits.

In the 3 examples you have cited for this, God still “acted” to permit something and/or ordered that it be done. He did not have to accept the devils offers for Job or Ahab. A truly ‘God-less’/“natural”act would not involve any action of God. Such as a person getting cancer from smoking. And claiming chaotic nature everywhere is not Biblically sound. Our once perfect creation was meant to be self-sustained with periodic “therapy” and not to instantly devolve into damaged chaos, where, as it were, God had to effectively hold millions of shattered pieces of a crystal ball, when the tree of life was removed.

Furthermore, withheld dangers of God, such as the fiery serpents, can be objectively seen anything else would need to involve the supernatural. That is why e.g., fire from heaven destroy Sodom and Gomorrah was not a natural event or withheld natural chaos but a supernatural act of God.

2.Jesus Christ fully revealed God's character.

In particular, the second statement, when it really hit me what it was saying, had a profound impact upon how I saw things.

You don’t see that Jesus imitated the OT God and indeed similarly wished for instant destruction (Luke 12:49). It just was not the time nor His given mandate (vs. 50).

Quote:
NJK: God was not saying to Egypt that I will kill more if you don’t obey me here. As exegesis clearly shows, God actually “(forcefully) hardened” Pharoah’s heart so that that Plague also can be done, indeed by the 6th plague exegesis shows that God was acting to harden Pharaoh’s heart when necessary.

Tom: This doesn't help any. That is, it doesn't speak any better of God's character; worse, actually. At least, it appears you're saying that God undertook an action, the result of which was, that He would kill innocent children. Not only did God threaten to kill the innocent children if a given demand wasn't met, but God, worse than this, took steps to make sure that the demand wouldn't be met.

Tom: I sincerely hope I'm misunderstanding you here, but, if not, I cannot imagine why you would think such a representation of God's character is in the least appealing,...

It does not need to “help” anything. God is God and that is what the Bible reveals He did. You, as all uniformed created being, need to come in line with that, especially clearly expressed will. Ignoring exegesis to fit your view is completely preposterous, to say the least. I repeatedly subject myself to what proper exegesis reveals and that has its consequences, particularly with the EGW where she was not exegetically accurate.

... nor of what you think it could have in common with the character Jesus Christ revealed.

OT Isa 6:91-3 NT (and emulating Jesus) Matt 13:10-17.

Quote:
NJK: Your theology won’t allow for that exegetically plain reading, however it clearly is stated, and thus implied that God wanted Pharaoh to resist up through the 10th Plagues.

Tom: This isn't Scriptural.

Originally Posted By: Bible
(The Lord is) not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. (2 Pet. 3:9; NASB)

It certainly is when proper exegesis is used:
-Immediate context God said so and was pointedly shown to so.

-This was not, as you can only see it: ‘a compelling attempt to force Pharaoh to “repent” and believe in Him, but the execution of judgement for years of slavery, murder, dispossession, oppression, etc. And since not all Israel was killed by Pharaoh nor entirely dispossessed, God’s exacting judgement here, only achievable in all 10 plagues, was thus perfectly match.

Quote:
NJK: As I said before, the reverential question here is to (hopefully “prayerfully”) as “why”.

Tom: "What?" would be a good question.

We have already been told/shown in both the Bible and SOP, you don’t want to accept it and futilely seek to explain it away or outrightly ignore it instead of seeking to find out “why”/“for what reason(s)” did God do these “why”.

Quote:
NJK: I did, and here is the Biblical answer I was impressed with, in succinct bullet points. (See especially Exod 1 and PP 241ff for most Biblical allusions)

-When God had began establishing Israel, He had no land to given them yet as no kingdom was yet fully deserving of being judged for their sins.

-Israel therefore had to settle in a place where they could relatively be safe as they were greatly and rapidly increased by God. So God sent them to Egypt through an act which made them favored at first.

-Indeed when they increased, and became a natural threat where they could also join an invading army against Egypt, the Egyptians enslaved them. Other nations would probably have sought to kill them if they had not been in a land (which really could not happen as all lands belonged a nation, especially the Great Power of Egypt).

-(Slavery was also an object lesson for Israel for their future to impress them to be obedient in order to avoid losing their freedom and land.)

Tom: Do you think slavery was very successful at this? Ever?

It should have been. As God’s Wisdom saw. Who in their right minds would want to return to be slaves??

You're making it sound as if it were God's will that Israel should be made slaves. Isn't it evident that the powers of Egypt acted contrary to God's will in not remembering Joseph?

God told this would (surely) happen to Abraham. That is indeed what happens to a nation without a homeland. What was permitted to be done through Joseph was just to delay that inevitability as long as naturally possible.

Or do you think God is in favor of slavery, or that slavery is not an evil? What I believe is that God permitted the slavery to occur, and that God is able to work blessings out of evil, but slavery is evil, and evil is never God's will.

It’s ironic that you are not seeing here from your view that “God only permitted it”. What’s the difference between that and: allowing Job to be variously struck, including death to His children; permitting a lying spirit to deceive Ahab; or removing your protection to have snake bit Israel. Indeed as with righteous Job, Israel then had done nothing wrong for God to permit the Egyptians to enslave them.

Quote:
NJK: -then when Israel still could not be controlled and loyalty assured despite enslavement, Egypt began to kill the males of Israel by throwing them into the Nile. That went on for at least three months in “full force” (PP 242.2). As Aaron was 3 years older than Moses (Exod 7:7), and Aaron was alive, then it may have been going on for up to these 3 years of difference. I further do not see any indication when, even if it ever ended up Israel’s Exodus, despite Moses having been rescued through a seemingly unique, and God-inspired, idea.

Tom: This last phrase isn't a sentence.

It was. Just not properly worded/expressed: “I further do not see any indication when it ever ended, if it ever did, right up to Israel’s Exodus, despite Moses having been rescued through a seemingly unique, and God-inspired, idea.” I.e., Moses’ rescue by Pharaoh’s daughter (and through that unique method), did not necessarily mean that the killing method of Pharaoh was ended. Indeed saving Moses and adopting him meant that he could be made to surely be on Pharaoh and his army’s side. Still their envisioned Israelite military might threat had to continue to be kept in check and so the killing probably did indeed continue unabated.

Quote:
NJK: (Point it out to me if you know).

Tom: I don't know what you want me to point out. When what? I don't see that you explained what the "when" was referring to.

“When” the killing ended. (Seems like what I later said would, in defining context, indicate what was being said here.)

Quote:
NJK: Indeed the Egyptians original threat was only increasing and God had not yet actively intervene in it. So this killing may have been going own for over 80 years until Moses returned to deliver Israel. That would mean that millions of Israelite male children were so killed during this time.

-So the Ten plagues, indeed sustained by God to their full extent, when Pharaoh wanted to concede by the 6th plague, was done on one side to make Egypt freely give Israel much substance as reparations for the years of enslavement and the Tenth Plague, to justly venge the death of potentially/probably millions of Hebrew Male Children. (Deut 32:35; Psa 94:1; cf. Rom 12:19; Heb 10:30, 31)

Tom: It's hardly "freely" if done under duress. That's the opposite of "freely."

It actually is if it’s not an explicit “duressive”: ‘give me your money or else (more plagues)’. All Israel had to do was to ask and the Egyptians, relatively, freely complied, and out of “favor”. Indeed God wanted to plunder the Egyptians. (Exod 3:21, 22; 12:36)

Quote:
NJK: -Also the first-born was a sort of god to Egyptians so it also defeated that, probably most revered figment of a god of their.

So God was acting justly in all of this and that is why He was hardening Pharaoh’s heart through those 10 plagues as forcefully necessary.

Tom: The following explains what true justice is:

Thus has the LORD of hosts said, 'Dispense true justice and practice kindness and compassion each to his brother;(Zech: 7:9 (NASB)

No it is not ‘explaining’ it. ‘Dispense true justice’ is a distinct required action from ‘practicing kindness and compassion each to his brother.’ Indeed one can distinctly ‘prosecute and rightly/fairly adjudge crime’ and ‘act kindly and compassion towards their neighbor.’ And this “listing” of what need to be reformed in Israel continues in vs. 10. A text without its context in not exegesis.

Quote:
NJK: So Pharaoh did not even really have to option to refuse this 10 phase just judgement that God wanted to do.

Tom: Didn't have the option to refuse! So pharaoh didn't have free will.

He did and the Bible clearly shows that he freely exercised it in the first 5 plagues. However in plagues #6, 8, 9 and 10 God overruled it by hardening his heart.

Again, this hardly helps in terms of presenting a defense of God's character.

Subjectively based human “helping” is of no consequence. God’s manifested Character here was Justice. So the adjudged criminal here, Pharaoh, was not to have any overturningly determinative say against the intended full sentencing. This indeed was not even a Parole hearing.

Quote:
NJK: And if God had wanted to compel Egypt, that 10th plague directly (if not only) involving human death, would have been done first, then 2nd born for the second plague, etc.

Tom: One could argue that God, out of mercy, was trying to apply the least amount of force necessary, and only increased the force of the plagues because He wasn't getting His way with less force.

Not when you allow God and the Bible to plainly, and also exegetically, speak for Himself/itself.

Quote:
NJK: Again the way to understand the Character of God is to defaultly give him the benefit of the doubt and then reverentially/prayerfully ask why.

Tom: The way to understand the character of God is to study Jesus Christ, who was sent for the very purpose of revealing God's character, which had be so sorely misunderstood.

Yes... as you are selectively doing I suppose (e.g., Luke 12:49; 22:38; Matt 23, etc). You don’t even (truly) practice what you claim/preach.

Quote:
NJK: And the answer is indeed in His OT words and revelation, with Jesus also confirming that God is a God of justice.

Tom: Not just confirming God is a God of justice, but demonstrating the truth of God's justice

Indeed, as I pointedly said, “confirm” E.g, Matt 13:10-17 confirms God’s default Justice action against Pharaoh right from the start, just a Jesus defaultly did with the Jewish leaders.

Rather than think that you are fighting me, I recommend you engage in actual exegesis, as you supposedly should be able to soundly do!

Thus has the LORD of hosts said, 'Dispense true justice and practice kindness and compassion each to his brother;(Zech. 7:9)

Already demonstrated Proof-text.

As well, Jesus Christ revealed the Father.

Which is much more than what you are letting Him reveal in your view.

I appreciate your effort in writing all this, but it still remains that threatening to kill someone's child if they don't do what you're telling them to do is using force. If you say that Pharaoh wasn't threatened because God forced him to do what He wanted him to do by hardening his heart, that hardly helps the argument that God doesn't use force to get His way.

(A) God was not actually really asking Pharaoh for anything. Just wanted him to think so, and that for his own good so that when he would surely fail, he won’t vindictively think that God had tricked him and seek blind revenge. Indeed God had to force him to go after Israel after they had left eventhough Pharaoh was seethingly and agitatedly seeing this great opportunity for “recovery”! (Exod 14:3&5-7 vs. 4&8; cf. vs. 17) And God also needed some spacing time before this would be done.

(B) Just faithfully (i.e., exegetically) relating Scripture and letting it determine what my view of God is to be.

This discussion would be much more constructive if you utilized proper and, as due, objective exegesis.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: kland] #132637
04/12/11 08:11 PM
04/12/11 08:11 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec

Quote:
k: I don't know, but sounds watered down and kind of like it disputes your definition. As in, can things be taken by force without violence? But if force and violence are the same thing, is that just like what you imply God doing? What is violence? Could all cases be whitewashed with "force"?

NJK: I understand the difference between ‘use of force’ and violence to be in the object one is seeking to arrive at. If that object is itself just righteous, then the use of force is not categorized as violence, (e.g., self-defense, just war, justified capital punishment), if not then it is (e.g., robbery, rape, terrorism). This is even distinct from your previously cited “motives” as e.g., a homeless person who is hungry may decide that taken the purse/wallet of a passer by to get money to eat, even if he is only going to take money for that immediate meal and drop the wallet/purse as he is running away, is justified since he is hungry, even now ‘dying of hunger’ as he has not eaten in ca. 3 weeks. Though the object: ‘eat to save his life’ is independently justified, the motive of ‘robbing a passer by’ is not. If however that passer by had stolen money from that man, then using such “force” to get it, and that exactly, back, would be justified and not “violence”.

kland: Yes, I was noticing that your supposed difference between violence and ... something else is similar to your such difference between killing and murder. And that is the intent. Or maybe, you could say, purpose of intent.

kland: So, if I'm understand you correctly, two people could perform the same action and depending upon their intent or "the object one is seeking to arrive at", it could be considered violence or it could be considered "force".

Yes in part as I further consider that “object” to be “objectively” as righteous cause. Thus using force is the only option and not one where other lessor options have been leapfrogged. So that Homeless man would have tried all other law enforcement/judicial recourse to get his money back but because he was poor and a social outcast, he thus could not afford the court fees and was not taken seriously by law enforcement. His option was to die. (Getting food elsewhere was also not an option and no one wanted to give him money for now over 3 weeks)

Originally Posted By: kland
So, would you say, that someone who fully and completely believed in Hitler, could justifiably say Hitler was not a man of violence but a man of force?

No. His “object” of pointedly e.g., killing Jews and stealing Russia’s national wealth/resources was “objectively” not a just cause. However, engaging in war to regain what had been lost in WWI, arguably was, especially as it had been taken in war and the powers then were surely not going to hand it back to him.

Quote:
k: It what way is your view of God's character different from other denominations'?

NJK: I assume that you are referring to Hell judgement. As it will be justly limited and post judgement, I see it as being full just. Also EGW states in 4SP 475.2/GC 660.4 that it is the redeemed righteous who will ‘mete out’ the punishment that the wicked will receive in their Hell judgement! How much fairer can that be. An Eternal, Perfect and Holy God who had never sinned, nor, in the likewise Jesus, succumbed to sin, (though Christ did feel the mental guilt anguish of man - cf. this post -that comment could open up a whole other side discussion. I think it is already treated elsewhere in this forum.), and thus does not know or understand why man has chosen to sin, would be likely to defaulty, automatically mete out eternally lasting punishment to any and all.

kland: Nice. So you are saying God won't kill people at the end?

Call off the party kland!! ‘Meting something out’ is not synonymous with ‘executing it’
‘Meting’ = fixely determining or ‘administer/bestow, in Hell’s case, individual specific punishment sentences.’ So once the redeemed have done so, God will execute it by making each wicked live through their individual, meted out sentence.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: NJK Project] #132646
04/13/11 03:58 AM
04/13/11 03:58 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
T:Please state these principles in a way that you would consider genuine.

Summarizing my already stated points based not merely on the SOP, but the Greater (both in content and rank) Testimony of the entire word of God (2 Tim 3:16, 17):

Tom: 1.All that can be known of God was revealed by the life and teachings of Jesus Christ during His earthly mission.

NJK: What was revealed about God by Jesus serves to understand why God acted and said what he did in the OT.

This is greatly reduced in scope from what I wrote (actually, what Ellen White wrote).

Quote:
No need to reword/repaint anything.

What are you referring to? I didn't reword anything, I simply quoted it. I don't recognize it as a quote from anything. Did you repaint something?

Quote:

NJK: Jesus perfectly emulated the Father, substantively, as it actually applicable, spiritually, in manifesting the same Character principles.

This isn't nearly as clear as what I wrote. Does it mean anything different?

Quote:

NJK: The God head does not use force to compel love or service but to necessarily and timely execute judgements and to instill a inceptive healthy fear, all to permit this GC to be fully fulfilled by the end of the feasibly self-capable allotted time.

How is acting from "healthy fear" not forcing or compelling service?

Quote:
Tom: 4.There are thousand dangers from which God protects us constantly. Any degree of destruction is possible by God's simply withdrawing His protection. There is no need for God to act actively to produce destruction.

NJK: God uses “supernatural” force to produce judgements and miracles when the natural elements, even threats in nature would not even if not restrained do so, and if eventually so, then not in the needed timely way.

Don't know what this is trying to say. Do you disagree with what I wrote, that God protects us from many unseen dangers?

Quote:

NJK: The use of force to compel love and service is contrary to the principles of God's government.

You wrote elsewhere that Pharaoh had no choice but to do what God wanted Him to do. Isn't this an example of God's compelling service?

Quote:
The use of (mostly) ambivalently attributable and relatively/comparatively light force for a necessary preventive/protective/pre-emptive deterrent, and so that greater and more destructive force will not be used is part of God’s government in order to keep the playing field level in this GC, particularly for His faithful people vs. particularly ruthless and lawless enemies.

I think what you're trying to say here is that God uses comparatively light force as a deterrent, in order to keep the playing field level in the Great Controversy, particularly to protect His faithful people against ruthless enemies. Given that God is constantly protecting all from a thousand dangers, all of them unseen, wouldn't it be sufficient for God to simply remove His protection from these unseen dangers to accomplish the same effect?

Consider Jesus Christ. No one was ever as faithful as He. God had to protect Christ on many occasions. Did He ever resort to this comparatively light force you're speaking of? (i.e., things like the plagues in Egypt, or burning people alive)

Quote:
Quote:

NJK:As in any science, an hypothesis needs to be tested to demonstrate that it is valid.

NJK:Indeed not. Just the one’s I’ve listed should be enough!

I don't think it would be enough, as evidenced by your comment below, saying that only three episodes are cited, even though I've already cited more than this.

Quote:

NJK: I needed to see that done with your principles with my list of prominent events, indeed discussed in both the Bible and SOP, to see if that is, as you claim, the way to come to understand all other OT.

Tom: I disagree with this. I think what's necessary is to see God's character as revealed by Jesus Christ.

NJK:Then let’s throw out everything other than the Gospels since even what we “guidingly” learn from Christ does not need to be applied elsewhere in God’s Revelations.

This would be a possible suggestion if the only purpose for Scripture was to learn of God's character.

Quote:

NJK:For the reasons I have stated many times, I do not substantively see the destruction of Jerusalem, as it collectively prophesied and brought about starting especially from Christ’s predicitons and how it transpired to be the all in all example of what will truly/fully happen when/whenever, if ever before, the “passion of God” is fully manifested.

Tom: It's the incident that we have the most information regarding, not including the cross. The cross would be the best study, as it reveals God's character far better than any other incident.

NJK:Still not substantively conclusive to me, even as expounded upon and applied by EGW.

The cross isn't substantively conclusive to you?

Quote:
The plain and exegetical Biblical evidence against these EGW applications are too compelling. So I’ll follow the SOP’s counsel here.

The evidence against the EGW applications is too compelling, so you'll follow EGW's counsel?

Quote:

NJK:It seems to me self-evident that if you agreed with the principles we're discussing, that takes care of the issue, so I'll deal with these.

Quite sincerely Tom, because, mainly I have to ignore many explicit statements of direct and active acts of God in the Bible in order to view things as you do, I do not see your even SOP supposed/derived view (i.e., believing the SOP is 100% accurate here) as being valid.

Tom: That's because of your paradigm. Others with a different paradigm than you hold don't need to ignore these statements, but understand them differently than you do.

NJK:Engaging in actually exegetically rewording the Bible to fit an EGW statement is not Biblically acceptable to me, nor is it endorsed by the SOP.

This is no different than what you do with subjects such as the state of the death or God's foreknowledge. One needs to consider a subject in its entirety.

Quote:
I’ll instead let the Bible decide when EGW was correct.

Why not let both the Bible and EGW decide when you're correct?

Quote:
I’ve done so many before with the consistent result of arrive at greater Biblical light, ironically enough thanks to perceived and confirmed inconsistencies between the Bible and the SOP and/or the EGW vs. the SOP. If your “paradigm” doesn’t allow for this then I see it as foundationally, Biblically, flawed.

Do you perceive your view of God's character to be appealing? Or just accurate?

Quote:
In all things, including EGW’s (vs. the SOP) comment: Isa 8:20.

God is often presented as doing that which He permits in Scripture. For example, it says in Numbers that God sent fiery serpents upon the Israelites, but what actually happened is God removed His protection.

NJK:As I see it, by first preventing this danger and then allowing it when Israel rebelled God did indeed send the serpents.

The serpents were already present. No serpents were sent anywhere.

Quote:
It’s like flipping on the fusebox’s power switch while you know someone is still rewiring the water heaters circuitry.

It's like ceasing to restrain a bully who would do someone else harm.

Quote:
So the Bible is Theologically correct.

God is often presented as doing that which He permits. The Bible is indeed theologically correct.

Quote:
How God performs a judgement whether in active or passive means makes no different.

Then why all the argument against the idea that it's passive?

Quote:
It says in 1 Kings, that God sent lying spirits to Ahab, but what actually happened is God permitted.

NJK:1 Kgs 22:19-23 - In the Bible itself, in a vision that was shown to Micaiah, the Bible does indicate that God actually desired to do this and accepted to hear the offer of an evil spirit and upon ascertaining exactly how it would be done, he ‘commanded’ that Spirit to do this. (vs. 22b) So God did not merely passively permit this but indeed ordered it.

This sounds like Calvinism. This is not Adventism in any way. Are you familiar with our tradition, or the works of the 19th century?

Returning to the concept of God's character, the Bible says that God cannot lie. If God were to order someone to lie as a means of fulfilling His will, God would be responsible for the lie. The assertion that God cannot lie would be false.

Quote:
It says in Job that the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away, but this was said by one who didn't know of Satan's existence. When the curtain is pulled away, we see that it was an enemy who caused the things which happened to Job.

NJK:Job 1:8-12 - Here also it was God who actively told exactly what should be done to Job, even if it had been suggested by Satan. So God, through what he told Satan he could do did indeed took away what He had given. So the Bible is also accurate here.

All the evil performed against Job was done so by Satan. None by God. God does no evil.

Quote:
NJK:These indeed are the only three examples that people cite for this view however I do not see any mandate or permission to reengineer everything in the Bible.

I've already quoted other examples.

Quote:
Telling enough, you make no statement on Israel’s war and the executing of Capital Punishment.

Perhaps kland would engage you in this conversation.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #132650
04/13/11 02:44 PM
04/13/11 02:44 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Once again Tom, as typical, and it is quite telling to me, out of the many things I countered in your previously expressed objections (too many to take the time to even simply, transparently, relist here), you only respond to what you think you have an answer for, and once again, also as typical, with spurious, irrelevant and peripheral argument. Yet you still see a dense forest. I really just don’t get this baselessly indifferent attitude to exegesis. It frankly really is quite infantile, especially Spiritually. You manifestly really think/believe that these non-substantive and inconsequential quibbling knee-jerk answers prove anything to the validity of your view vs. the other substantive counters to your views that you should have been bothering to defend. Or is it really that you view is correct irrespective of full, if any, Biblical support? Suit yourself. I am certainly not impressed, to say the least.

Quote:
T:Please state these principles in a way that you would consider genuine.

NJK: Summarizing my already stated points based not merely on the SOP, but the Greater (both in content and rank) Testimony of the entire word of God (2 Tim 3:16, 17):

NJK: What was revealed about God by Jesus serves to understand why God acted and said what he did in the OT.

Tom: This is greatly reduced in scope from what I wrote (actually, what Ellen White wrote).

That is because it is pointedly addressing how this Revelation of Christ principles applies to this discussion.

Quote:
NJK No need to reword/repaint anything.

Tom: What are you referring to? I didn't reword anything, I simply quoted it. I don't recognize it as a quote from anything. Did you repaint something?

Effectively “rewording” (even ignoring) the Hebrew and Greek original languages to fit your view and thus “repainting” what God had revealed in the Bible and all out of your incorrect understanding and also, substantively speaking, misapplication/overstatement of EGW in regards to God’s judgements(i.e., her GC 35-37 comments)

Quote:

Tom: This isn't nearly as clear as what I wrote. Does it mean anything different?

Absolutely! Succinctly said then: Jesus perfectly imitated/emulated the OT God in every form of way.

Quote:

Tom: How is acting from "healthy fear" not forcing or compelling service?

Because men still have the free choice to believe in those actions or not, just as equally as they could be marvelled by God’s supernatural signs/miracles and believe or not. These both can produce a “healthy fear” if the observer does not choose to harden their hearts.

Quote:

NJK: (edited) God uses “supernatural” force to produce judgements and miracles when the natural elements, even present/real threats in nature, would not, even if not restrained, do so, and if eventually they would do so, still not in the needed timely way.

Tom: Don't know what this is trying to say. Do you disagree with what I wrote, that God protects us from many unseen dangers?

Perhaps a simple Bible example (which you indifferently avoid) will help. When God needed to instantly destroy Sodom and Gomorrah instead of naturally letting them die off on their own, which may not totally happen and/or may have taken much more time, then He supernaturally intervened to cause fire and brimstones to rain down from Heaven pointedly on the 5 cities in that valley. There was nothing natural that He could have allowed to naturally take place here to timely effectuate that instant judgement. His power supernaturally assembled all the needed elements for that judgement.

Quote:

NJK: The use of force to compel love and service is contrary to the principles of God's government.

Tom: You wrote elsewhere that Pharaoh had no choice but to do what God wanted Him to do. Isn't this an example of God's compelling service?

As I also said there. It was because this was the execution of a judgement and not a “trial.” Pharaoh’s, even murderous, oppression and abuses of Israel was being judged and Pharaoh was not actually really given a choice to avert this. God Himself in the Bible is unequivocally clear that all 10 plagues were going to be fulfilled no matter how Pharaoh responded to Moses’ requests.

Quote:
NJK: The use of (mostly) ambivalently attributable and relatively/comparatively light force for a necessary preventive/protective/pre-emptive deterrent, and so that greater and more destructive force will not be used is part of God’s government in order to keep the playing field level in this GC, particularly for His faithful people vs. particularly ruthless and lawless enemies.

Tom: I think what you're trying to say here is that God uses comparatively light force as a deterrent, in order to keep the playing field level in the Great Controversy, particularly to protect His faithful people against ruthless enemies. Given that God is constantly protecting all from a thousand dangers, all of them unseen, wouldn't it be sufficient for God to simply remove His protection from these unseen dangers to accomplish the same effect?

He does do so but only when it is naturally feasible to the extent and timeliness of the action/judgement He wants to implement. Otherwise He has to supernaturally act to produce this with the force, precision and time that He wants it to happen.

Consider Jesus Christ. No one was ever as faithful as He. God had to protect Christ on many occasions. Did He ever resort to this comparatively light force you're speaking of? (i.e., things like the plagues in Egypt, or burning people alive)

As already stated, the angel standing between Christ and the arresting mob was an example. Indeed any angelic intervention, even if unseen is an example of this use of light force to keep the playing field even vs. such utterly lawlessness/unrighteous attempts.

Quote:

NJK: Indeed not. Just the one’s I’ve listed should be enough!

Tom: I don't think it would be enough, as evidenced by your comment below, saying that only three episodes are cited, even though I've already cited more than this.

That is clearly a LOL cop out to me. How would you know without even trying. It is clear to me that you just cannot Biblically do so. My comment below is no “evidence” at all but just an excuse. I have not seen the other ones you’ve listed. Just like you have “not seen” my detailed exegetical exposition on the Plagues though repeatedly referred and/or linked to!?? If you are going to arbitrarily and/or spuriously decide things for me what I think then this discussion is pointless and surely not worth my time and effort. Simply fancifully convince yourself however it is fitting for you.

Quote:

NJK:Then let’s throw out everything other than the Gospels since even what we “guidingly” learn from Christ does not need to be applied elsewhere in God’s Revelations.

Tom: This would be a possible suggestion if the only purpose for Scripture was to learn of God's character.

Candidly, but most perplexingly, interesting!! So that is indeed the only other purpose of the rest of Scripture for you. This confirms that you really do not see the revelations of God in the OT as having any self-spoken/acting contribution to His Character!

Quote:
NJK: For the reasons I have stated many times, I do not substantively see the destruction of Jerusalem, as it collectively prophesied and brought about starting especially from Christ’s predicitons and how it transpired to be the all in all example of what will truly/fully happen when/whenever, if ever before, the “passion of God” is fully manifested.

NJK: Still not substantively conclusive to me, even as expounded upon and applied by EGW.

Tom: The cross isn't substantively conclusive to you?

(This is the perfect example of the knee-jerk, subjectively selective, partial responses that I patently see in your replies). I was pointedly referring to the Jerusalem Destruction. Still, in regards to the Cross: Not in the ‘all in all’ sense that you wrongly see it for this Theological Issue. The rest of the Bible to me is substantively just as contributive. The Cross culminatively confirmed the rest of that Revelation of God’s Character, still there is much more to be confirmedly revealed in the ca. 2000 years since.

Quote:
NJK: The plain and exegetical Biblical evidence against these EGW applications are too compelling. So I’ll follow the SOP’s counsel here.

Tom: The evidence against the EGW applications is too compelling, so you'll follow EGW's counsel?

I said the “SOP’s counsel” as I do not see all comments by EGW as being the SOP. And the “SOP’s counsel” is to let the Bible be the final arbitrator. (Somehow I suspect you understood this distinction in that response already. Hence the sly need to misquote what I had written.)

Quote:
Tom: It seems to me self-evident that if you agreed with the principles we're discussing, that takes care of the issue, so I'll deal with these.

NJK: Quite sincerely Tom, because, mainly I have to ignore many explicit statements of direct and active acts of God in the Bible in order to view things as you do, I do not see your even SOP supposed/derived view (i.e., believing the SOP is 100% accurate here) as being valid.

NJK:Engaging in actually exegetically rewording the Bible to fit an EGW statement is not Biblically acceptable to me, nor is it endorsed by the SOP.

Tom: This is no different than what you do with subjects such as the state of the death or God's foreknowledge. One needs to consider a subject in its entirety.

I know I don’t do this in any topic so you’ll have to remove me form this “you” if it was a plural/general expression and especially if it was pointed addressed to me. Trying to find the precise nuanced wording out of Syntactical possibilities is not the same as, as you are scholastically indiferrently and/or obliviously doing so far, making e.g., an active verb become passive, an intensive verb become simple/natural tense, or outrightly ignoring any exegesis.

Quote:
NJK: I’ll instead let the Bible decide when EGW was correct.

Tom: Why not let both the Bible and EGW decide when you're correct?

(A) Because I would have first done the exegetical work in the Bible, as usual. (That answer also is the same for your previous similar question from a post of yours that I have not yet replied to.)

(B) Because by saying “EGW” here, I was pointedly referring to her non-directly inspired comments vs. the SOP/Testimony (=Her visions and (direct) revelations).

Quote:
NJK: I’ve done so many before with the consistent result of arrive at greater Biblical light, ironically enough thanks to perceived and confirmed inconsistencies between the Bible and the SOP and/or the EGW vs. the SOP. If your “paradigm” doesn’t allow for this then I see it as foundationally, Biblically, flawed.

Tom: Do you perceive your view of God's character to be appealing? Or just accurate?

Accurate. I am not in the public relation business but in the Truth preaching. God’s Character is Wise/Perfect/Loving/Just/Merciful/Good/Compassion, etc enough as candidly self related and demonstrated throughout the Bible to let Him speak for Himself. Only those who understand His Truth will ever find Him appealing in any whole way that He manifests Himself.

Quote:
NJK: In all things, including EGW’s (vs. the SOP) comment: Isa 8:20.

Tom: God is often presented as doing that which He permits in Scripture. For example, it says in Numbers that God sent fiery serpents upon the Israelites, but what actually happened is God removed His protection.

NJK:As I see it, by first preventing this danger and then allowing it when Israel rebelled God did indeed send the serpents.

Tom:The serpents were already present. No serpents were sent anywhere.

That’s mere, Theologically-irrelevant, peripheral semantics. Does not counter anything.

Quote:
NJK: It’s like flipping on the fusebox’s power switch while you know someone is still rewiring the water heaters circuitry.

Tom: It's like ceasing to restrain a bully who would do someone else harm.

No. Since the bully may not necessarily do this. It’s more directly/actively correlated as deliberately letting go of the rope while your friend is still climbing it on the side of a 2000 ft cliff. Try to claim you didn’t actively do anything here!

Quote:
NJK: So the Bible is Theologically correct.

Tom: God is often presented as doing that which He permits. The Bible is indeed theologically correct.

You rather are trying to present God as not being responsible for, or even doing, what He legislates, commands, directly or indirectly executes/permits, like some Teflon Don. The fact is you have yet to actually see in the Bible a truly “passionate” judgement of God where He is 100% not implicated in the judgement. He set boundaries in Job’s episodes. He was merciful in the Destruction of Jerusalem, and He told the lying spirit precisely what he could do. (He even provided a way of escape for the snake-bitten Israelites). That “passionate” judgement (commonly, though wrongly called the “wrath of God” won’t occur until the 7th endtime Plague.

Quote:
NJK: How God performs a judgement whether in active or passive means makes no different.

Tom: Then why all the argument against the idea that it's passive?

Because now you are maintainedly confusing a truly fully permitted/unrestricted, Satan active or even passive, judgement, with a God active/passive judgement. In the Satan judgement, God is completely uninvolved and absolutely no mercy is shown. Again I have seen no example of this in the Bible yet. That is why God is rightly related as being involved in all Biblical judgements thus far.

Quote:
Tom: It says in 1 Kings, that God sent lying spirits to Ahab, but what actually happened is God permitted.

NJK:1 Kgs 22:19-23 - In the Bible itself, in a vision that was shown to Micaiah, the Bible does indicate that God actually desired to do this and accepted to hear the offer of an evil spirit and upon ascertaining exactly how it would be done, he ‘commanded’ that Spirit to do this. (vs. 22b) So God did not merely passively permit this but indeed ordered it.

Tom: This sounds like Calvinism. This is not Adventism in any way. Are you familiar with our tradition, or the works of the 19th century?

As I don’t care for nor ascribe to any Theological system, but get my views directly from the Bible or SDA “traditions”, and especially 19th century Theologies, I know that it is none of what you “pigeon-hole” need it to be. 1 Kgs 22:22b is unequivocal of God’s sovereignly empowering commission to that lying spirit. How else was that evil spirit to ‘surely, naturally “prevail” #3201 (cf. Gen 32:25).’

Returning to the concept of God's character, the Bible says that God cannot lie. If God were to order someone to lie as a means of fulfilling His will, God would be responsible for the lie. The assertion that God cannot lie would be false.

That vision reveals that this was like God allowing Satan to make his claims in the Tree of the Knowledge of God and Evil. That lying spirit was to try to “entice” Ahab and that by becoming a lying spirit it the (already) false prophets. God did not originally create this evil path he just allowed it to reach its full course. (James 1:13-15). So this consistently like God ‘sending a deluding influence so that those faithful to the antichrist power will believe what is false, in order that they all may be judged who did not believe the truth, but took pleasure in wickedness. (2Th 2:11, 112).’ Still this is an actively permitted, passive judgement of God and not one entirely relinquished to Satan.

Indeed had these prophets been God’s prophets vs. the false prophets that they were and that Ahab fully knew they were (cf.1 Kgs 22:5, 6 & 14-18), then God would have been tempting Ahab with evil/lie. (contra. James 1:13).

Quote:
Tom: It says in Job that the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away, but this was said by one who didn't know of Satan's existence. When the curtain is pulled away, we see that it was an enemy who caused the things which happened to Job.

NJK:Job 1:8-12 - Here also it was God who actively told exactly what should be done to Job, even if it had been suggested by Satan. So God, through what he told Satan he could do did indeed took away what He had given. So the Bible is also accurate here.

Tom: All the evil performed against Job was done so by Satan. None by God. God does no evil.

He still allowed it. And not even for judging reasons. I simply accept that incontrovertible fact and it does serve, as with many other people, to understand that even when bad things may be allowed to happen to a righteously living person, it does not mean that God has rejected/abandoned you. And faithfulness in that trial may have great GC implications. So I thank God for having (singularly) done this through Job, as an object-lesson for millions of believer throughout this ongoing GC. So in God’s perfect wisdom He did not see/consider this as “doing evil”, as your theological paradigm constrains you to narrow-mindedly do, but testing Job as it candidly/truly could only be done.

Quote:
NJK: These indeed are the only three examples that people cite for this view however I do not see any mandate or permission to reengineer everything in the Bible.

Tom: I've already quoted other examples.

Great. Please do point them out (e.g., post #’s) or list them so that I can analyse them.

Quote:
NJK: Telling enough, you make no statement on Israel’s war and the executing of Capital Punishment.

Tom: Perhaps kland would engage you in this conversation.

I don’t see how kland's expressed view that ‘there is no difference between killing and murder’ implying that ‘all killing is murder and thus should not be done’ helps your case. But suit yourself. It certainly does not come to erase any of those Israel divinely-legislated and executed capital punishments or its God spoken commands to go to war and e.g., also completely kill all surviving inhabitants, and that through a victory that was actively sustained by God’s supernatural power. (E.g, Exod 17:8-16; Deut 3:3, 6; 2 Kgs 19:35; cf. DA 700.5, PK 361.2|GC 117.1|511.3 - I think in this last work of EGW (PK) she would have by then got it clear that “the Angel of the Lord” had not killed 185,000 Assyrians on the battle field.)

Page 70 of 105 1 2 68 69 70 71 72 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!