HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,566
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 11
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (ProdigalOne, 1 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14
Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: Elle] #134288
06/08/11 08:41 PM
06/08/11 08:41 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Originally Posted By: Elle
I understand this view, however, it is not in harmony with the Bible.

Originally Posted By: NJK Project
He was presenting that there was no reason why God’s created beings could not live outside of His law and will if they so chose and managed to convince 1/3 of the angels that God had self-interested motives for, effectively commanding such will.

Do you have any Biblical support to back up this thrust of Lucifer’s deception?

I think it is very important to understand the fall of Lucifer and Man for in it reveals the nature of the GC.

I exegetically see from the Bible in Isa 14:12-14 & Ezek 28:12-17 that the earth-projected aspirations of the Devil did foundationally inherently include doing away with God’s Law. Summarily said, if one aims to rule over the ‘angels of God’ (= e.g., Isa 14:13 (“stars” = Rev 12:4&9)) and this understandably cannot be achieved by force (i.e., vs. God directly), then the way to go would be to undermine what gives God this authority over these created beings/angels, and that is the obedience to God’s Law, which indeed included only worshipping God.* And of course to not make it seem that you are wanting to merely overthrow God, Satan had to undermine all of the Commandments, hence the inherently derived/implicated claim that these Laws are all not needed for the governing of God’s created beings. Indeed Satan claims apparently may have foundationally been that if this law is really based on Love, then Created Beings should not be commanded what they could or could not do as a demonstration of this Love for God, but that this would come both naturally and if they freely actually wanted to do so.

*As a illustration, if one today wants to make a drastic change in government in the United States, e.g., from a Republican philosophy to a Democrat one, they are certainly not, though the Constitution allows them to, take up arms against the United States Government/Military, but will instead try to convince the people who will vote in the next election that their proposed political views/policies/laws are better than the present ones. (=(GC/God’s) Views, Requirements, Laws).

With that exegetical Biblical basis, I see that the direct revelations that EGW had on this episode are indeed True and also agree with her derived commentary.

This makes us in contradiction with many texts which cannot be taken as it is simply written that needs us to add a few words so to make it fit to this view.

As it is key to understand what the Bible teaches on a subject, it is incontrovertible to include in this determination all of the texts of the Bible that speak on it. That is my approach and as I see that the notion of freewill is clearly stated in the Bible and also, as pointed out earlier, the many texts that seem to indicate no freewill either are not actually saying so when exegetically examined (i.e., including syntax) and/or are in the context of a believer have literally freely and desiringly turned over the reins of their life to God, to do as He sees and knows is best, then I do not see that the Bible is teaching that we do not have freewill. There are indeed to many examples and also Theological, Doctrinal and Prophetic statements to the contrary. All of those have to be duly taken into full and proper consideration to arrive at the accurate understanding on this Teaching.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: Elle] #134289
06/08/11 08:43 PM
06/08/11 08:43 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Quote:
NJK: And Satan had thought to make men be, or think to be, “little gods”. And the only way for man not to fall for this lie is to freely choose to obey God’s will. Otherwise, for those who choose to not do so, the consequence is eternal death (John 3:16-21).

Elle: I was intrique by your wording of "eternal death", so I search if there were such wording in the entire Bible or any approximation of these words. There's no such wording, not even "for ever death"! or even any close usage with dead.

(1) I added the term “eternal” because all those who die the First Death will be resurrected to die the Second Death which is the one that is “eternal” as understood by the Biblical teaching on the result of the Hell Fire Judgement.

(2) the notion of “eternal” is, in my Biblical understanding, inherently involved in death unless God intervenes to overturn this naturally resulting state. That is why the Bible does not need to explicitly say “eternal death” however, as seen in the John 3:16-21 passage that I had referred to, as well as passages such as John 5:24; Rom 6:23, it is the direct opposite of ‘living eternally’. And if one can live eternally while dead (??!), then they are not actually “dead”. Case in point, those who will live many days in the fires of Hell and then not die, will indeed be alive and not dead. It is only when they have fully paid the penalty for their sins that they will die that Second (and by implication, “Eternal”) Death.

This is another of man's foolish "imagination" based on mis-understanding of what constitute life or death. Death needs to be defined according to what the Bible reveals.

I gather/presume by your denunciation here that you do not have the common understanding of death as SDA’s/the SOP teach. Therefore do state what you see the Bible’s teaching on death is (if different).

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: Elle] #134292
06/08/11 09:48 PM
06/08/11 09:48 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
From #134147:
"freewill is having the ability to generate our own wise thoughts and derive proper choices from it, and therefore can decide our direction based on an intelligent choice."

It seems like a valid definition, though I don't agree with it.

For me, this is all it boils down to: "Can decide our direction." If you can decide, you have freewill, regardless of what information you may or may not have, or wisdom you may or may not have.

So are you saying God created us to be little gods that can self govern ourself?

I'm not saying that. But what I am saying is merely parroting the Bible.

Quote:
Genesis 1:26-27
Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

Man was made in God's likeness. That likeness involves quite a few characteristics, but choosing is certainly one of them.

Even in our fallen state, we are called upon to make choices, to make decisions.

Quote:
Deuteronomy 30:19
... I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live;

Joshua 24:15
... choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve...

Proverbs 12:26
The righteous should choose his friends carefully...

Does that mean we are capable of governing ourselves? No. The Bible is very clear about our inability to be good governors, and our need to submit to God.

However, the fact that we are called upon to submit to God should tell us that it remains with us to choose Him over any other gods that are vying for our loyalty. If we had no choice in the matter, there would be no need to submit.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: asygo] #134298
06/08/11 10:33 PM
06/08/11 10:33 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
"Submission" without the free will to choose whether or not to submit is not true submission, but just a sneaky form of slavery.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: Elle] #134326
06/09/11 07:25 PM
06/09/11 07:25 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
I was intrique by your wording of "eternal death", so I search if there were such wording in the entire Bible or any approximation of these words. There's no such wording, not even "for ever death"! or even any close usage with dead.

Elle, if you look at the notes of the NET Bible about John 11:26, you will see that the Greek says, literally, "will never die forever." In fact, our best Portuguese translation says exactly that.

Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament says about this passage:

Quote:
Shall never die (ou mh apoqanh eiß ton aiwna). Strong double negative ou mh with second aorist active subjunctive of apoqnhskw again (but spiritual death, this time), "shall not die for ever" (eternal death).

Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: Elle] #134327
06/09/11 07:30 PM
06/09/11 07:30 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
So are you saying God created us to be little gods that can self govern ourself?

Perhaps a better definition would be that God created us with the ability to choose who will govern us. In fact, after sin, this ability is preserved only through the action of the Holy Spirit in our lives. If it weren't for this, we would always and forever choose Satan.

Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: kland] #134334
06/09/11 10:21 PM
06/09/11 10:21 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
We plainly just don't have freewill. We are free beings in the sense that God can move us wherever and whenever He pleases, but God has never endow us or the angels, or any other living creatures with the inherent ability to govern ourself or possess any other abilities as the freewill concept suggest. All comes from above. All needs to be continually be dependant of God to supply all things at all time. That's what makes God -- God. He provides for all, he guides all, he moves all, he fulfills all,-- God is really the All in All.

Why would God choose to guide things in such a goofy way? Evil, even.

I can understand the existence of the horrific things that happen on this planet if one allows for the existence of evil beings with free will, but how could it be possible to explain these things if *God* is guiding everything? What sort of God would "guide" things like rape, child abuse, torture, divorce, cancer, etc.?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: Elle] #134337
06/09/11 11:09 PM
06/09/11 11:09 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Freewill is having the ability to generate our own wise thoughts and derive proper choices from it, and therefore can decide our direction based on an intelligent choice.

The "therefore" isn't necessary, as far as articulating a definition is concerned, so the definition comes down to:

Quote:
Freewill is having the ability to generate our own wise thoughts and derive proper choices from it.

So this involves two things:

1.Having the ability to generate one's own wise thoughts.
2.Having the ability to derive proper choices from those self-generated wise thoughts.

A more straight-forward definition would be:

1.Having the ability to derive proper choices from one's self-generated thoughts.

I think this isn't a bad definition. I don't see why the requirement for one to be able to self-generate wise thoughts would be necessary; just thoughts which enable one to make proper decisions should be sufficient.

So where is the problem? Is it that we cannot self-generate thoughts? Or is it that we cannot make proper decisions from these thoughts which are self-generated?

Where in Scripture is either of these things suggested? (i.e., that we cannot self-generate thoughts, or that we cannot make proper decisions). Indeed, doesn't the mere fact that there is a judgment pre-suppose that we have the ability to make proper decisions?

I can see the argument being made that we cannot make proper decisions apart without divine assistance, but not that we cannot, even with divine assistance, make proper decisions. If this weren't the case (that even with divine assistance, we cannot make proper decisions), it would seem to again beg the question as to what we would be judged upon.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: Tom] #134338
06/09/11 11:10 PM
06/09/11 11:10 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
He provides for all, he guides all, he moves all, he fulfills all,-- God is really the All in All.

Quote:
Matthew 23:35
...the blood of Zechariah, son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar.

When Zechariah was murdered, was it God who was guiding them?

Taking a few steps back, why would God command anything if He is the one doing everything anyway? If that was the case, He would have said to Adam, "You should not eat that fruit, but you have no choice in the matter. One of these days, I will make you eat it, then you will die because of it."

This view is not of a God who wants communion, but one who wants toys.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: Rosangela] #134344
06/09/11 11:59 PM
06/09/11 11:59 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
I was intrique by your wording of "eternal death", so I search if there were such wording in the entire Bible or any approximation of these words. There's no such wording, not even "for ever death"! or even any close usage with dead.

Elle, if you look at the notes of the NET Bible about John 11:26, you will see that the Greek says, literally, "will never die forever." In fact, our best Portuguese translation says exactly that.

Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament says about this passage:

Quote:
Shall never die (ou mh apoqanh eiß ton aiwna). Strong double negative ou mh with second aorist active subjunctive of apoqnhskw again (but spiritual death, this time), "shall not die for ever" (eternal death).

That is a great exegetical point/dig Rosangela. I have never thought to ever exegetically verify that text that many use to support and eternal soul in the NT era, nor thus did it even come t mind here, as it just did not occur to me that such a clear indication as to what extent of death Jesus was referring to here would be so grossly mistranslated, indeed completely non-translated. Indeed none of the major English version (NASB, NKJV, KJV, RSV/NRSV, NIV) have including this key “forever” (or literally “into the age”) in their translation. Simply unbelievable!!! If that’s not doctrinal bias....

Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/11/24 12:20 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!