HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,956 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 84 of 105 1 2 82 83 84 85 86 104 105
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #133074
04/30/11 01:28 PM
04/30/11 01:28 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Originally Posted By: NJK
In Tom’s view, God can’t do such judgement acts in any way as that would be “evil”.

This, of course, begs the question of what "evil" means in this context. I have argued against the idea that God acts violently, by doing such things as burning people alive, to punish them. I have said that there are a thousand dangers, all of them unseen, from which God is constantly protecting us, and that it is sufficient, in terms of explaining and judgments that have occurred, for God to have simply withdrawn His protection, as explained in GC 35-37. There is no need for God to have acted in any way different than how Jesus Christ acted while here with us in the flesh.

Jesus said, "When you've seen Me, you've seen the Father," and that means fully/completely. God is *always* like Jesus Christ was; He knows no other way to act than by agape. God is far more gentle, kind, patient, humble, merciful and compassionate than we can imagine. The enemy is Satan and sin, which is far more powerful to corrupt and destroy than people have any idea of. Not having an idea of sin's power, people feel the necessity to attribute the bad things that happen due to that people to the power of another.

Quote:
Ironically enough, it is actually only “evil” (not in regards to God as actually He never has been required to curtail His '"passion" for truth' in order to be merciful towards sinners) when God just lets Satan freely and fully have his way.

So if God acts violently, contrary to how Jesus Christ lived or taught, that's not evil, but if God acts precisely according to the explanation of GC 35-37, that is evil. That seems backwards.

Up to now, everything that has happened has been tempered with mercy. That is, not until the seven last plagues will Jesus pull out all the stops - "unmixed with mercy". All along Jesus has held back, that is, He has established and enforced limits, limits which neither holy angels nor evil angels have been allowed to exceed. Jesus (not sin, not sinners, not Satan) is the one who determines when, where, and how impenitent sinners will be punished. It is not up to Satan to determine. "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things."

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #133075
04/30/11 01:32 PM
04/30/11 01:32 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, when you get a chance, please address 132,979, 980, and 981. Thank you. Happy Sabbath.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #133082
04/30/11 08:24 PM
04/30/11 08:24 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: Tom
In Tom’s view, God can’t do such judgement acts in any way as that would be “evil”.

This, of course, begs the question of what "evil" means in this context. I have argued against the idea that God acts violently, by doing such things as burning people alive, to punish them. I have said that there are a thousand dangers, all of them unseen, from which God is constantly protecting us, and that it is sufficient, in terms of explaining and judgments that have occurred, for God to have simply withdrawn His protection, as explained in GC 35-37. There is no need for God to have acted in any way different than how Jesus Christ acted while here with us in the flesh.

Jesus said, "When you've seen Me, you've seen the Father," and that means fully/completely. God is *always* like Jesus Christ was; He knows no other way to act than by agape. God is far more gentle, kind, patient, humble, merciful and compassionate than we can imagine. The enemy is Satan and sin, which is far more powerful to corrupt and destroy than people have any idea of. Not having an idea of sin's power, people feel the necessity to attribute the bad things that happen due to that people to the power of another.

Quote:
Ironically enough, it is actually only “evil” (not in regards to God as actually He never has been required to curtail His '"passion" for truth' in order to be merciful towards sinners) when God just lets Satan freely and fully have his way.

So if God acts violently, contrary to how Jesus Christ lived or taught, that's not evil, but if God acts precisely according to the explanation of GC 35-37, that is evil. That seems backwards.

Up to now, everything that has happened has been tempered with mercy. That is, not until the seven last plagues will Jesus pull out all the stops - "unmixed with mercy". All along Jesus has held back, that is, He has established and enforced limits, limits which neither holy angels nor evil angels have been allowed to exceed. Jesus (not sin, not sinners, not Satan) is the one who determines when, where, and how impenitent sinners will be punished. It is not up to Satan to determine. "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things."

Agreed, Mountain Man. Great (Isa 45:7) citing! However, I understand God as “creating the evil” through what He permits the Devil to do. (Cf. James 1:13).

I also see a form of God’s mercy in the first six plagues because ‘they are not [yet] universal’ GC 628.2 and it is only when an angel of God throws his bowl in the air, (Rev 16:17 - perhaps accompanied by a subsequent, and manifestly heightened, “It is done” pronouncement, which EGW may have conflated) which premeatively, freely and easily affects every part of earthly life, that the ‘Hell-like cup of God’s passion = ‘unmixed with mercy’’, which was previously mentioned/prepared in Rev 14:10 is then poured out (Rev 16:19).

Last edited by NJK Project; 04/30/11 09:48 PM.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: NJK Project] #133084
04/30/11 08:41 PM
04/30/11 08:41 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
T:NJK, why don't you just answer the question? kland is asking you how your view differs from mine. What he quoted doesn't matter; just explain how you perceive your view of GC 35.3 to be different than my view.

NJK:Because, as I already said in response to kland, I already did, including as you quote below in post #133066.

This doesn't make sense. This was what kland was asking you to explain. You can't just refer back to that.

That is, you made a post. kland asked you a question in regards to that post, which is how you see what you're saying to be different than what I have been saying. It doesn't make sense to refer back to the post that kland is asking you about.

Quote:
(Really why can’t/won’t you both understand and/or accept that??1)

kland asked you a question, and you haven't answered it. We accept that.

Quote:
Such a quasi-“playing dumb” tactic does not work with me; especially not from kland who has no benefit of the doubt in this regard from me.

Not understanding what you write doesn't necessitate playing dumb. You're writing is difficult to understand. You should recognize this, especially as you've admitted to refusing to proofread or edit what you write. Even the things you have proof-read and edited (presumably, referring to what you've posted on the web) are difficult to read.

Quote:
kland chose to editorially, excisingly ignore my explanatory comments.

I don't know why you choose to impute people's motives. kland is trying to understand what you are saying, and also trying to engage your mind. He wants you to think about what different aspects of your thoughts lead to.

Quote:
Seems that it took more time and space to create his convoluted push-button quoting than to quote my statement in its entirety. (Try reading my unread by you comments/posting in their entirety before posting questions. This quasi-gotcha approach just wastes time, at least mine).

He's not trying to "gotcha" you, but to get you to think about certain things. This can be an effective way to get us to see things we hadn't seen before.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #133085
04/30/11 09:04 PM
04/30/11 09:04 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Tom, re-read that sub-thread in question. It will answer all your objections here. If you had, it, as usual, would have saved you the time and effort for this spurious, impinging attempt, spiel. Kland chose to ignore and indeed selectively excise my explanatory response and then wants me to re-state those explanations again as if he could not understand them!?!? Not my problem! Deal with the determinative facts instead on your subjective/fanciful perceptions.

And not everything on my blog is thoroughly proof-read, indeed for there, mainly, the applicable Isa 6:10 principle, (as well as time) for those who would “prefer” it so.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: NJK Project] #133088
04/30/11 09:39 PM
04/30/11 09:39 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Originally Posted By: NJK Project
By the way, as I noted on my blog post, Dwight Nelson may have changed his view on this topic. Indeed in a response to an email I had sent him on this, he had said that he saw the difference expressed there involving “polemos”.

I apparently did not included that manifest Dwight Nelson change stated in a sermon after our email communications (can’t re-access the content of that email which was from my previous, other ISP). As I now recollect and retrace, I had only made a note of it in my blog post notebook. The reason why I indeed had chosen not to include that note in the post, and expressed this here as “may have”, is because in that subsequent sermon, (see his 2010-03-27 Sermon at 24:47-26:08ff), Dwight Nelson only emphatically, and tellingly, said “WAR”, with a protracted stress, in reading Rev 12:7, without adding any explanations as he had done before. That statement was relatively too ambiguous, and in context, wrongly ambivalent, for me to give it a benefit of the doubt. It should have been more explicitly correcting for his wide audience, even wider during Net ‘98, especially if that was actually the intention here.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: NJK Project] #133090
05/01/11 02:06 AM
05/01/11 02:06 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
NJK: In Tom’s view, God can’t do such judgement acts in any way as that would be “evil”.

Tom: This, of course, begs the question of what "evil" means in this context.

(This was actually NJK):As I had said, I define evil, and indeed in that context as anything in which God is not in some way, even through imposing limitations, involved. Thus acts of Satan that are unrestricted which again I have seen no evidence of I the Bible yet, and do not see so until the 7th Last Plague, is pure evil. All other acts of adversity are just and merciful, even loving, in regards to the victim, judgements of God.

T:I have argued against the idea that God acts violently, by doing such things as burning people alive, to punish them.

NJK:I have seen absolutely nothing wrong/unjust/undeserved either with the acts of judgement themselves or with God doing them either directly (Fire from God) indirectly (through His Angels) and/or actively (His being executively involved) or passively (allowing nature to naturally [i.e., e.g., not the Flood] take its course and/or permitting Satan to do the judgement.

Ok. I'll state what I perceive to be our areas of disagreement here. This is in regards to judgments during this life, not the final judgment.

I perceive what happens is that the judgments which occur do so because the people involved have persistently resisted the Holy Spirit, leading to God's withdrawing His protection, which is the manifestation of His wrath. I see God as acting passively here, against His will, as He would prefer to protect, as Jesus' lamentation regarding Jerusalem -- "But ye would not!" -- illustrates.

I believe your perception is that it is God's will to cause suffering, or death, to those who have disobeyed Him, and that He does so by different means, including acting both passively and actively.

Quote:
T:I have said that there are a thousand dangers, all of them unseen, from which God is constantly protecting us, and that it is sufficient, in terms of explaining and judgments that have occurred, for God to have simply withdrawn His protection, as explained in GC 35-37.

NJK:That is what I see as a “passive act of God”.

Agreed.

Quote:
T:There is no need for God to have acted in any way different than how Jesus Christ acted while here with us in the flesh.

NJK:That view of yours is easily refuted by e.g., the fact that Jesus twice did use physical force to clear/cleanse His Temple of ‘merchandising robbers and thieves’.

I disagree with this for two reasons. One is logical, and the other factual.

The logical objection is that what I stated is there is no necessity for God to act any differently than how Jesus Christ acted while here in the flesh. To adduce an action of Jesus Christ's which involves physical force is not a logical thing to do here. If your assertion were true, this would only serve to broaden the things which God can do, making it more likely, not less, that my assertion is true.

The factual objection is that Christ did not use physical force to drive out the money changers. It was their consciences which forced them to leave, both times.

Quote:
Not surprisingly that Gospel episode fact also, and that obliviously, if not indifferently, does not “catch your attention.”

Those who hold the point of view that you do regarding God's character most often cite two incidents: 1)The cleansing of the temple 2)The cursing of the fig tree. So it's not surprising that I'm well familiar with them, which you should have expected. However, these incidents do not involve Jesus Christ acting in a manner contrary to the principles I, and kland, have been bringing up. If you look at the descriptions of these events in "The Desire of Ages," this is very clear. There are also indications of this in the Gospel accounts themselves.

Quote:
Furthermore that persistent “reverse Theology” of ‘the OT God (which was also Jesus Himself as Michael/The Angel of the Lord) acting like the incarnate Jesus’ is substantively illogical to me. I rather see that Jesus, upon reading and studying the scrolls of the OT for at least up to 35 years (8 B.C. birth) came to understand how God had justly acted in those inspired records and sought out to emulate God as He had read.

This has been my point, as I've explained several times. Christ both said and did the things He perceived the OT God to be doing. To put that another way, what He perceived the OT God to have done is what He did. Therefore if you postulate the OT God to have acted contrary to how Christ acted, you're creating a contradiction.

Quote:
Which is why, e.g., (which are comments you patently ignore, yet still insist on making your claims),

This is an unfair comment. I'm going through your posts line by line. The only comments you have made that I haven't answered are either because I didn't understand what you were saying, or just the length of the posts written during a time when I didn't have the time to spare.

I've pointed this out several times to you now. I'd appreciate some consideration on this point. If I'm taking the time to go through your posts line by line, you should acknowledge that, rather than accusing me of "patently ignoring" you.

Quote:
Jesus had not qualms about become upset due to the Israel-wide, copiously encountered pervasive religious hypocrisy (Luke 12:1-12), mindless selfish greed (vss. 13-21), lack of faith in the power and faithfulness of God (vss. 22-34) and sloughful indifference towards the Glory and Triumph of God’s Kingdom (35-40) and wasteful stewardship of God resources (vss. 41-48) was greatly desiring to effectuate Hell Fire judgement before His Atoning Sacrifice (vss. 49, 50) since that would surely overturn things (cf. 51-53) though without any opportunity for mercy.

Wow! What a sentence. This is way too long, and includes references without quotes. Please use shorted sentences, proof-read what you read to make sure it makes sense, and copy/paste any texts you wish to be considered. If texts you don't copy/paste are not commented on, please recognize this as a short-coming on your part, which it is.

In short, what you wrote above doesn't make sense (I mean grammatically).

Quote:
T:Jesus said, "When you've seen Me, you've seen the Father," and that means fully/completely. God is *always* like Jesus Christ was; He knows no other way to act than by agape. God is far more gentle, kind, patient, humble, merciful and compassionate than we can imagine. The enemy is Satan and sin, which is far more powerful to corrupt and destroy than people have any idea of. Not having an idea of sin's power, people feel the necessity to attribute the bad things that happen due to that people to the power of another.

NJK:It is God’s Love for primarily the just and righteous which leads Him to, when absolutely necessary, to do supernatural acts to beneficially, timely, protectively and efficiently effectuate a deserved judgement.

God loves both the just and the unjust. God loves righteousness (or justice), and hates unrighteousness (injustice), but it is God's love, while unjust, that draws us to Him and leads us to repentance.

Quote:
NJK:It is even, in some case, as object lesson, out of a love for other less sinful peoples that God selects the worst group from these sinful peoples to effectuate a judgement. (These non-judged, though also lesserly deserving, others are then free to choose whether to let that judgement lead them to begin to have a healthy fear of God or not.)

God is not the problem here. It is not God's will that we fear Him, and do things to please Him, so that He will not smite us. Such "obedience" is not obedience at all.

Quote:
A sullen submission to the will of the Father will develop the character of a rebel. By such a one service is looked upon as drudgery. It is not rendered cheerfully, and in the love of God. It is a mere mechanical performance. If he dared, such a one would disobey. His rebellion is smothered, ready to break out at any time in bitter murmurings and complaints. Such service brings no peace or quietude to the soul.” MS 20, 1897

Quote:
It is not the fear of punishment, or the hope of everlasting reward, that leads the disciples of Christ to follow Him. They behold the Saviour's matchless love, revealed throughout His pilgrimage on earth, from the manger of Bethlehem to Calvary's cross, and the sight of Him attracts, it softens and subdues the soul. Love awakens in the heart of the beholders. They hear His voice, and they follow Him. (DA 480)

Quote:
NJK: Ironically enough, it is actually only “evil” (not in regards to God, as actually He never has been required to curtail His '"passion" for truth' in order to be merciful towards sinners) when God just lets Satan freely and fully have his way.

Tom: So if God acts violently, contrary to how Jesus Christ lived or taught, that's not evil, but if God acts precisely according to the explanation of GC 35-37, that is evil. That seems backwards.

NJK:God’s use of force (=your violently), or even effectuating judgements (which are actually meant to serve as a deterrent from other people, if not also in some cases, a tangible necessity, e.g., thorough cleansing by fire) is not evil. God’s allowing of what is describe in GC 35-37 to take place, which in some level does not have to involve direct actions of the devil, as EGW originally was shown in 14MR 1-3, but is just allowing nature to unrestrictively take its course, is by definition evil, as it is the natural consequence of the evil that Satan’s sinful schemes and concoction have brought into the world.

This looks to be agreeing with what I said, in characterizing your viewpoint. When God acts violently, such as by setting people to burn alive (according to your point of view), that is not evil. But "God’s allowing of what is describe(sic) in GC 35-37 to take place" is by definition evil.

Quote:
The evil, especially in the Greater GC context, is also not necessarily in the action itself but the circumstance making it necessary.

Then what you wrote above is incorrect. You didn't mean that God's allowing of what is described in GC 35-37 to take place was evil, but that the evil which He allowed was evil. That looks to be your meaning, at any rate. If you really meant what you said, that God's allowing of the events that took place was evil, feel free to assert that again.

Quote:
Case in point God’s choice for a War in Heaven was not evil, but the best way to resolve that conflict.

The War in Heaven was not God's choice. God's choice was for peace. War has no place in either God's character nor the principles of His government. He is not a violent God.

Quote:
Similarly Israel’s Wars at the command and supernatural assistance of God was not an act of evil. So the key here is not merely looking at the act, but the wider reasons/motives behind the act.

What do you think were Israel's reasons/motivations in going their wars? Where do you think think they got their weapons from? Do you think it was God's will that they make their gains by military conquest, the same as nations do that have gone to war throughout history?

During the times when the Israelites followed God's directions, not one soul was lost. Had they followed God's directions throughout, no Israelite would have died in a military battle.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: NJK Project] #133093
05/01/11 02:36 AM
05/01/11 02:36 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
NJK: -Christ’s Ministry-wide designings against the Jewish leaders (cf. Matt 13:10-17 = Isa 6:9-13);
etc.

Tom: This caught my attention, due to the choice of words. You write of "designings against the Jewish leaders," as if Christ were out to get them, or against them. But Jesus Christ loved them, and didn't have designings against them, but for them.

NJK:As usual you are paramount attracted by the externals and thus do not susbtantively engage the other points listed prior to this one, as already pointed out.

I find fault with your comment for two reasons. One is the lack of civility. This tone is inappropriate for this sort of discourse.

I used to write in a similar fashion to how you write, and a seminary professor, with whom I greatly disagreed, brought it to my attention. Fortunately, although we had differing points of view, I had the good sense to take heed to his comments. Perhaps something similar will happen here. Being able to treat others respectfully with whom you disagree would speak well of both you and your viewpoint.

The second reason is that this comment seemed to me to strike to the core of your thinking, which is why I wanted to pursue it further.

Quote:
I had already expounded on the ‘designing’ issue here in a prior post. Jesus deliberate “designs” against these leader was in order to get them to suffer the punishment for the wayward course,

Jesus' designs for the leaders was not "against" them, as you put it, but for them. Jesus loved them as much as others, and wanted to save them. Indeed, several of the Jewish leaders became followers of His, which was due to Jesus' love and work in their behalf.

Quote:
(should they obstinately freely choose to remain on it), which they, as the most educated and privileged in Israel then had ample opportunity to not only change course but also help the people under their leadership. They selfishly and indifferently chose not to, for indeed doing so now would come to undoing all of the spurious platform their false teachings and ways had raised up.

I agree that they chose freely to remain on their wayward course, but disagree with the idea that Jesus Christ was designing punishment for them. Jesus was clear regarding His mission, which was not to destroy, but to save. The suffering which came as a result of not taking heed to His words were because His words were the way of salvation.

Suppose there is a bridge out on a road, and I warn you not to go forward, and you insist, and suffer as a result. This is analogous to what was happening in the case of Jesus Christ and those who rejected Him, and continues to be the case to this day. Jesus Christ went about doing good, encouraging others to also do so, and warning of the consequences of doing evil, which consequences are the result of sin.

Quote:
T:Christ taught in parables for their benefit, as well as for others.

NJK:You’ll need to quote either Scripture or the SOP to validate this manifest subjective assumption of yours.

Just an understanding of God's character makes this clear. God causes the rain to fall on the just and the unjust. Even the final judgment in the second resurrection is for the benefit of those who are judged (that I know the reference for off the top of my head, should you desire it. If the final judgment is for the benefit of the wicked, it shouldn't be difficult to believe that His telling of parables was for their benefit as well.)

Quote:
NJK: Indeed based on the (paramount) testimony of Scripture in Matt 13:1-3, 10ff, I have to adjust my view to include all peoples, and not just the Jewish leaders as to why Jesus taught in parables. And it was because: ‘To Christ disciples it has been granted to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to non-believing/following crowd it had not been granted.’ (vs. 11; cf. 12-17)

Certainly there were other reasons as to why Jesus taught in parables. The beginning of "Christ's Object Lessons" discusses this.

Quote:
T:When He first started to teach, He taught openly, but because of opposition, He changed tactics. Christ was always interested in reaching the Jewish leaders, both for the sake of their own souls, and as a means of saving the nation. When they opposed Him, He resorted to teaching in parables.

The reason that teaching in parables was for their benefit as well was they were in no state of mind to receive that which He was preaching, had He continued in a direct non-parable way. By teaching in parables, He was able to present truths to them in a non-threatening way, that they could ponder at their leisure. It was a means of trying to overcome prejudice.

NJK:Again this all seems like a subjective assumption of yours.

You really don't see that Jesus Christ taught in parables because of the opposition of the Jewish rulers? It seems pretty obvious to me. It's not a "subjective assumption," but follows from a reading of what happened. Christ taught openly in the beginning of His ministry, was brought opposition, and then began to teach in parables.

Here's something I found quickly on the web:

Quote:
Jesus spoke in parables for two reasons. First, He wanted to stimulate questions about His kingdom. He knew that sincere people who really wanted to know what was right, would not rest until they had searched out the meaning of the truths He taught. These parables acted like an alarm clock, arousing the sleeping minds of the vast audiences who heard Him.

Second, Christ found it necessary to teach certain truths in symbols, because the Jewish leaders were watching His words to find some cause to arrest and condemn Him. As opposition against Him grew, Jesus used parables more and more to convey His warnings to Israel. If He had spoken more plainly and frankly, His ministry would have been cut short much sooner. Let's begin our booklet with the best known of all Christ's parables.(http://languages.bibleschools.com/guides/lotw/lotwsg18.htm)

This isn't adduced as proof that what I'm saying was correct, but merely that it is not a "subjective assumption" of mine.

Before I go further, do you disagree with what I quoted here?

Quote:
T:Also, in your quote of Isaiah, and how you have expressed things, it gives the impression that God either desired that those who were rejecting Him not see, or caused it, or both. But it was their own actions, and their own desires, that caused their blindness. God did nothing but give them light, as He does for all. Jesus Christ is the true light that lightens everyone who comes into the world.

NJK:It was by them choosing to persist in their wayward course, [even by simply saying: ‘this guy does not teach “plainly” as the other Jewish leaders so He must either be telling tales or have something to hid (it must e.g., be, (hint hint) because of his “illegitimate” birth)’], that this light, which he indeed did (freely) “give” to them, though a dimmed/veiled form, actually came to blind rather than guide these defaultly quibblingly objecting, faithless, hypocritical and self-serving ones.

This is a long and difficult to understand sentence, but it looks like you're saying the same thing that I was saying, that the cause of their blindness was due to their own actions, as opposed to something God did to them. You wrote, "It was by them(sic) choosing to persist in their wayward course" etc.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, that their blindness was a result of their own actions, then I agree.

Quote:
That is exactly how I see EGW understood it in your quoted RH, September 26, 1899 par. 10-12. Only those who stepped out in faith to walk with Jesus, versus just being part of a gathering crowd to here a good sermon, similar to how the Greeks gathered to watch a play), would be given the keys to unlocking and understanding the truths in these deliberately veiled sayings.

I would put it this way. It's not that God was withholding something from them, but they, because of their own actions, were unable to see or understand that which was before them. They heard the same words as those who believed, but did not understand the words, because they refused to respond to the Holy Spirit, and without the Holy Spirit, they could not understand.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #133094
05/01/11 02:45 AM
05/01/11 02:45 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Fitting succinct and summary response to you Tom: Substantively and “peripherally”, utterly frivolous, indeed on all levels, for both your posts actually. Nothing deservingly “salvageable” here. Keep up this obfuscating work!! You’re not fooling, nor impressing, at least, me....

Again I make the Bible my final authority and not the opinions of men. The statements of EGW is also subject to this Biblical hierarchy.

And to, as here, I substantively take my orders from the word and Spirit of God and certainly not from the “substantively base and quibbling preferences of men”. You, more crucially, lack truthfulness, including Biblical Truth. Keep quibbling away...

Last edited by NJK Project; 05/01/11 03:02 AM.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: NJK Project] #133095
05/01/11 03:00 AM
05/01/11 03:00 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Congratulation on the reading of that blog post, though you obviously also borught along your one-sidedly selective mindset.

It would be a good thing for you to be civil in your posts. Insulting your readers isn't a good strategy for anything I can think of.

The blog post is too long to comment on it all, so I'm bringing up something I found to be of interest. I should be free to do so without being insulted.

It would be a good idea for you to proof-read your posts, not just for content, but for tone.

Quote:
Didn’t you read the exegetical points and direct EGW revelations beyond my opening quoting of SDA preacher who have the Biblically wrong view on this topic???

Same comment as above. I read everything, and chose what I wanted to pursue further. If you wish to call a different portion of what you wrote to my attention, and pursue that further, you're free to do so.

Also the point of view of the author was correct, even if the "polemos" comment was flawed. The Great Controversy is involves God's character and the principles of His government. It is not a battle which can be won by physical force.

Quote:
NJK:The SOP, based on the Bible, is clear that there were two casting out of Satan from Heaven. The first from within Heaven itself using brute force to decided the issue and then further force to effectuate the casting out; the Second at the Cross from where Satan use to “await the angels as they came from the heavenly courts”. You are quoting comments made in regard to the Second Casting out above which, as I see it just required the angels just to completely ignore Satan, which then made it quite futile to even show up there as he had before.

Required in what sense?

Quote:
Exegesis also applies to the writings of EGW, especially the contextual aspects of it!

You're not giving a context to your comments here. What is it that you think is my point of view in regards to Ellen White's comments? What is it that you are taking issue with?

Quote:
By the way, as I noted on my blog post, Dwight Nelson may have changed his view on this topic. Indeed in a response to an email I had sent him on this, he had said that he saw the difference expressed there involving “polemos”.

You mean Dwight Nelson no longer views the was as being one of ideas? Or just that he changed his mind regarding "polemos"?

Quote:
T:Indeed, a little before the above cited reference, Ellen White wrote:

Originally Posted By: SOP
Rebellion was not to be overcome by force. Compelling power is found only under Satan's government. The Lord's principles are not of this order. His authority rests upon goodness, mercy, and love; and the presentation of these principles is the means to be used. God's government is moral, and truth and love are to be the prevailing power. (DA 759)

NJK:Again you resort, given your advanced (i.e., Seminary) education, to poor/shoody/arbitrary “exegesis”:

Again, proof-reading your posts, and improving the tone, would be a good thing to do. A lack of civility does nothing to help our arguments. It neither speaks well of you, nor your point of view. Indeed, it casts doubt upon it. If, at every turn, you feel the need to resort to sarcasm and insults, that speaks to a feeling of inferiority, a sense of doubt.

Quote:
(1) You left out EGW’s qualifying statements to those comments which were just before them, that: “God could have destroyed Satan and his sympathizers as easily as one can cast a pebble to the earth; but He did not do this.”

I suppose I could have quoted the whole chapter, to avoid such accusations. The point she was making was that compelling power is found only under Satan's government, and that rebellion was not to be overcome by force. My including the above sentence would have altered this point in any way. Its meaning is clear, as I stated it.

Quote:
This speaks of actions to “destroy” Satan and his sympathizers and also cast them out without a chance to defend their position.

What I quoted speaks to the methodology used. This could not be clearer. She wrote that compelling power is to be found only under Satan's government, which is speaking to a difference of principles involved in the two governments.

Quote:
It does not preclude the war that God instead used to give them this chance to win this GC indeed merely by brute force if they could.

This is a bit difficult to understand, but I think I have it. I think you're trying to say that God gave the rebels a chance to win the war by force, if they were able to do so, but that He would not win the war in that manner by destroying them. Assuming this is what you meant, I see two problems with this idea.

First of all, she writes that rebellion was not to be overcome by force. That would be an ironic to thing to write if what had just happened is that rebellion was overcome by force.

Secondly, and more importantly to this discussion, she wrote that compelling power is only to be found under Satan's government. This is a far-reaching statement, dealing with the principles of the governments involved. It would be akin to saying something like, "Deceit is only to be found under Satan's government." It is speaking of a principle which God does not use.

Quote:
NJK:In fact the war itself was probably limited to be non-lethal.

Furthermore, even when force used to cast Satan out, it was not strong enough to caused them to crash down to earth and die indeed “as easily as one [a man] can cast a pebble to the earth”.

If rebellion was not to be overcome by force, and compelling power is found only under Satan's government, it stands to reason that God did not use compelling power to cast Satan out.

Quote:
(2) As I have repeatedly said, EGW speaks here of “compelling power”. I.e., using force to cause Satan to believe, or actually make the other angels believe that God is right without the GC opportunity to let both sides demonstrate their view.

She said nothing about forcing the angels to believe anything. She did not limit her comment that compelling power is found only under Satan's government in any way. She did not say, "Compelling power is only found under Satan's government when it involves compelling someone to believe in a certain way."

Page 84 of 105 1 2 82 83 84 85 86 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!