HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 15
Rick H 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 11 of 35 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 34 35
Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: Charity] #133408
05/10/11 01:02 PM
05/10/11 01:02 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mark Shipowick
Notice the close parallel between the circumstances of this prophecy and the 40 years of wilderness wandering and humbling. Here Judah is punished, but in this case it’s the reverse scenario; rather than suffering and wandering 40 years as punishment for 40 days of unbelief, here the punishment is 40 days of siege punishment for 40 years of unfaithfulness. And the same parallel is seen in the case of Israel; for 390 years of iniquity the siege was to last 390 days. So the time periods are reversed – in Numbers it’s a year for a day but here it’s a day for a year.

Consider the implications. The two passages that establish the day/year principle operate both ways. So we have one prophecy of 40 represent days and the same period is the second case representing years. It's the context that determines which applies.
That's an interesting thought. Kind of an inverse parallelism.

Mark, it's obvious that not all time prophecies are a year for a day. Rosangela said there was a thread about determining when it's a symbolic day and when it's a literal day, but I can see there is no incentive for her to search for it assuming it showed there are times for each. How do you say one determines which determines which? More specifically, do you believe Daniel 12 (not the part of chapter 11), applies to the past, the future, or both?

Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: His child] #133410
05/10/11 01:19 PM
05/10/11 01:19 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: His child
Since Mrs. White places "these last days" after 1844, and Daniel 12 is linked to the rivers, it follows that EVERYTHING in Daniel 12 "from God was given especially for these last days." Thus the 1260 in Daniel 12 is not applicable to the 538-1798 events that are fixed historically before 1844.

And the 1260, 1290 and 1335 in Daniel 12 cannot be understood after 1844 in the context of a day for a year and still apply to the last days (sometime beyond 1844). From any date after 1844, the 1260-years would extend beyond 3104AD.
Besides making reasonable sense, do you see there any other reason why Daniel 12 is literal days instead of symbolic days?

Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: Charity] #133417
05/10/11 09:08 PM
05/10/11 09:08 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Have another look. Is the seige/punishment symbolic or literal? The seige is the punishment and there is no doubt it occurred literally and it was as the author notes a 'day for a year', whereas the punishment of Israel in the wilderness was the opposite, a year of punishment for a day of spying/unbelief.

It seems to me that there are two distinct symbolic events in Ezek 4:1-8. There is a siege against Jerusalem (vss. 1-3 & 7, 8) with a bearing of the sins of Israel (390) and Judah (40) (vs. 4-6). These actually represented literal years of sins. As summarized here, (see in Section {5}), Israel’s 390 years extended from ca. 928 B.C. until the Restoration in 538 B.C. and Judah’s 40 years would be, as God judiciously planned, for the Ezekiel prophecied Judgement (Ezek 8-11) when a complete destruction of their religious community was effectuated. Ezekiel’s days of siege (4:7, 8) were not specified.

What's bad about spying? The Isrealites should have trusted God that He would give them a good land. The spying was not necessary and was positively harmful.

Where in the Bible is it said/implied/supported, as EGW claims, that “it was proposed by the people that spies be sent up to survey the country. The matter was presented before the Lord by Moses” (PP 387.1)??

It rather seems to me that it was God who outrightly ordered that a spying of the land take place (Num 13:1, 2ff). Either way I do see this as something “harmful” in itself, especially “positively”. As seen by the good reports of Joshua and Caleb, it could/should have been a faith confirming act. In fact, God probably, at the very least, permitted it so that the faith of the Israelites in Him could be concretely tested before He supernaturally acted for them, as before they did not have a knowledge of what they were going to face and have to trust God with. And, also, it was, in terms of wider witness, better for them to become faithless and fail before engaging in the fight, then while in the fight, as that would mean sure, and even utter, defeat in the hand of their enemies, as these enemies would make sure not to leave any Israelite alive (i.e., the woman and children who would have remained in the camp beyond the Jordan) who may later try again to dispossess them of their land.

So, also, it can be seen that God’s planned punishment of even utterly wiping out Israel for this hindering faithlessness was indeed just and quite fitting.

Last edited by NJK Project; 05/10/11 10:56 PM.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: NJK Project] #133425
05/11/11 01:22 AM
05/11/11 01:22 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Originally Posted By: NJK Project

Where in the Bible is it said/implied/supported, as EGW claims, that “it was proposed by the people that spies be sent up to survey the country. The matter was presented before the Lord by Moses” (PP 387.1)??

It rather seems to me that it was God who outrightly ordered that a spying of the land take place (Num 13:1, 2ff).

Good point NJK. I stand corrected. The spying was not the problem, it was the evil reports.

Re the duration of Ezekiel's acted prophecy, chapter 4, unless I've missed something obvious (like I did above), I don't see how you can say the days of the seige weren't specified.

Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: kland] #133426
05/11/11 01:29 AM
05/11/11 01:29 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Originally Posted By: kland
How do you say one determines which determines which? More specifically, do you believe Daniel 12 (not the part of chapter 11), applies to the past, the future, or both?

kland, I'm still studying that issue. Miller's rules of interpretation are helpful. His Child's thoughts are reasonable in my view too. I think Daniel 12 applies primarily to the future.

Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: Charity] #133428
05/11/11 03:40 AM
05/11/11 03:40 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Re the duration of Ezekiel's acted prophecy, chapter 4, unless I've missed something obvious (like I did above), I don't see how you can say the days of the seige weren't specified.

Perhaps, upon closer reading/analysis, Ezek 4:8 does tie the “sieging” and “sin bearing” acts together, and this may be for the tangible reason that, just as a siege is to prevent a city from obtaining/procuring additional/new livelihood, possibly ending in its death if it was not properly prepared/stocked up, the time that Ezekiel was to bear the sins of both Israel (10 tribes) and Judah (2 tribes) was going to be a period where Jerusalem was also going to have to Spiritually “survive on its own” while its past and outstanding sins were being atoned for on a ‘day for a year’ basis. Ezek 4:9-17 seems to symbolically depict/indicate the results of this Spiritual “seige-like” hiatus.

This all seems to be the same things that occurs when sins are put away in God’s Sanctuary, as for a while, there no longer is an Intercessor. This also briefly occurred during Israel’s annual day of Atonement. So during that sin atoning time, as in the siege, people were to live/survive solely on/from the Spiritual and Physical “provisions” that they had made prior to this time.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: NJK Project] #133429
05/11/11 03:41 AM
05/11/11 03:41 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Originally Posted By: NJK Project
Where in the Bible is it said/implied/supported, as EGW claims, that “it was proposed by the people that spies be sent up to survey the country. The matter was presented before the Lord by Moses” (PP 387.1)?? It rather seems to me that it was God who outrightly ordered that a spying of the land take place (Num 13:1, 2ff).

Though I still don’t see explicit Biblical corroboration for EGW’s claim here, I could see along her lines, that it was the faithless actions of the People, as especially seen in chapters leading up to this, (namely Num 11; cf. 12), that may have led God to test their faith here, to see if it was really deserving of what He was about to do for them. And so He instructed that spies should be sent to make these testing facts known.

Notwithstanding, it also may then have been quite possible that this idea was “proposed” by these now quite faithless people and God indeed approved it through these instructions not to reassure the people as what the 10 faithless spies stated was in some ways the truth (it is just that they chose to focus on the negatives), but to test them as He normative does (Deut 8:2; 13:1-3; cf. Gen 22:12; Exod 15:25, 26; 16:4; 2 Chr 32:31)

Last edited by NJK Project; 05/11/11 04:02 AM.

Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: NJK Project] #133430
05/11/11 12:25 PM
05/11/11 12:25 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Some resources for those who wish to study more about this subject:

The Time Prophecies in Dan. 12 – by Gerhard Pfandl
www.adventistbiblicalresearch.org/.../The%20Time%20Prophecies%20in%20Dan%2012.pdf

The 1.290 and 1.335 Days of Daniel 12 – by Alberto R. Timm
http://biblicalresearch.gc.adventist.org/documents/daniel12.htm

kland:
I couldn't find the thread where we discussed the figurative language used when the numbers are to be taken figuratively, but you will find some comments about it in this study:
biblicalresearch.gc.adventist.org/documents/year-day%20principle.pdf.
One of the indicators is that the word "year(s)" is never used, although this would be the normal way someone would express himself.
I have a deadline to meet, so I'm not having much time, but I'll participate as time permits.

Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: Rosangela] #133431
05/11/11 12:54 PM
05/11/11 12:54 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Quote:
R: Affirming that there will be a period of 3.5 years of persecution is just setting another date for Christ's coming - something we are warned not to do - for what should one expect at the end of such a period of persecution?

k: What date was set?

R: When the persecution does begin, the countdown would also begin.

So would you agree that no date has been set as of yet?
But, was it said that when this "countdown" begins, does Christ come right at the end at a specific date, which hasn't yet been set?

By the way, I've have read Timm's arguments (if you could call them that) in the past. I'm sure you would find no fallacies with his logic. I do. And that's not just because I disagree with him. Dishonesty or incompetence is an opinion which comes to my mind. I find it interesting that his comments along with one other has been presented as prove all and end all - end of discussion. Who is this Timm guy besides being from the Biblical Research Institute? Why isn't this discussed in our churches and evangelistic series?

Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: Charity] #133432
05/11/11 12:58 PM
05/11/11 12:58 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland

Good point NJK. I stand corrected. The spying was not the problem, it was the evil reports.
Something to consider is that it wasn't God's will for Israel to have a king. However, He helped them select one.

I think spying was a problem, a lack of faith, and it is similar to, who killed Saul. Seems like I came across the spying issue before and may try to find it.

Page 11 of 35 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 34 35

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!