HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,594
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,798 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Christ Justified [Re: Mountain Man] #133229
05/04/11 11:41 PM
05/04/11 11:41 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I disagree. Pardon means precisely that someone's character must stand in place of yours so that God can see in you a perfect character, a character free of sin.

Pardon means that forgiveness must take place. The requirement for forgiveness to take place is that the offended party must be willing to forgive, and the offending party must be willing to be forgiven. God has always been a willing party, so much so that He gave His Son. The problem has always been on our end. We need to have the love of God revealed to us, so that we are led to repentance, and desire forgiveness.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Justified [Re: Mountain Man] #133230
05/05/11 12:05 AM
05/05/11 12:05 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
Justification is purely imputed; whereas, sanctification is purely imparted.

It looks like you may be thinking of "imputed" as dealing with only a legal issue, as not impacting one's being. The imputed righteousness of Christ changes us, involving as it does the writing of the law on the heart, bringing us in conformity with the will of God. This was a cornerstone of the message which Jones and Waggoner brought to us.

Quote:
Notice in the above account that the taking away of the filthy garments is the same as causing the iniquity to pass from the person. And so we find that when Christ covers us with the robe of His own righteousness, He does not furnish a cloak for sin but takes the sin away.

And this shows that the forgiveness of sins is something more than a mere form, something more than a mere entry in the books of record in heaven, to the effect that the sin has been cancelled. The forgiveness of sins is a reality; it is something tangible, something that vitally affects the individual.

It actually clears him from guilt, and if he is cleared from guilt, is justified, made righteous, he has certainly undergone a radical change. He is, indeed, another person, for he obtained this righteousness for the remission of sins, in Christ. It was obtained only by putting on Christ. But "if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature." 2 Cor. 5:17.

And so the full and free forgiveness of sins carries with it that wonderful and miraculous change known as the new birth, for a man cannot become a new creature except by a new birth. This is the same as having a new, or a clean, heart.(Christ and His Righteousness)

The SOP expresses the concept here:

Quote:
When we submit ourselves to Christ, the heart is united with His heart, the will is merged in His will, the mind becomes one with His mind, the thoughts are brought into captivity to Him; we live His life. This is what it means to be clothed with the garment of His righteousness. Then as the Lord looks upon us He sees, not the fig-leaf garment, not the nakedness and deformity of sin, but His own robe of righteousness, which is perfect obedience to the law of Jehovah. {FLB 113.4}
Those who ... accept of Christ are looked upon by God, not as they are in Adam, but as they are in Jesus Christ, as the sons and daughters of God. {FLB 113.5;ellipsis original}

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Justified [Re: Tom] #133253
05/05/11 01:40 PM
05/05/11 01:40 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I believe justification is what God does for us legally, namely, substitutes Jesus' righteousness for our pardoned sinfulness. It has nothing to do with what He does in and through us. Yes, knowing He justifies us fills us with peace and happiness and thankfulness, which, in turn, motivates us to abide in Jesus, to grow in grace, and to mature in the fruits of the Spirit more and more unto the perfect day. Nevertheless, justification and sanctification are different in that justification provides pardon and salvation whereas sanctification empowers us to move beyond the static state of pardon to experience personal "righteousness and true holiness".

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Justified [Re: Tom] #133257
05/05/11 01:59 PM
05/05/11 01:59 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Pardon means that forgiveness must take place.

OK, and Jesus didn't need that. So He cannot have been justified in the same way we are.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Justified [Re: Rosangela] #133284
05/06/11 02:42 AM
05/06/11 02:42 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Tom, I believe justification is what God does for us legally, namely, substitutes Jesus' righteousness for our pardoned sinfulness.

If you read what I quoted, by either Waggoner or EGW, it can be seen that it involves more than simply legalities.

Quote:
It has nothing to do with what He does in and through us.

No, this doesn't agree with either quote. The quotes were clear that justification involves a change of heart.

Quote:
Yes, knowing He justifies us fills us with peace and happiness and thankfulness, which, in turn, motivates us to abide in Jesus, to grow in grace, and to mature in the fruits of the Spirit more and more unto the perfect day.

Before knowing He justifies us can motivate us, we need to be motivated to be justified.

Quote:
Nevertheless, justification and sanctification are different in that justification provides pardon and salvation whereas sanctification empowers us to move beyond the static state of pardon to experience personal "righteousness and true holiness".

You cannot be justified without experiencing personal "righteousness and true holiness." That's impossible.

Also, sanctification is as connected to salvation as justification is. Sanctification and justification cannot be separated. Colin put it nicely, the idea being something like sanctification is justification continuing to be experienced.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Justified [Re: Tom] #133354
05/08/11 02:27 PM
05/08/11 02:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Tom, I believe justification is what God does for us legally, namely, substitutes Jesus' righteousness for our pardoned sinfulness.

If you read what I quoted, by either Waggoner or EGW, it can be seen that it involves more than simply legalities.

Quote:
It has nothing to do with what He does in and through us.

No, this doesn't agree with either quote. The quotes were clear that justification involves a change of heart.

Quote:
Yes, knowing He justifies us fills us with peace and happiness and thankfulness, which, in turn, motivates us to abide in Jesus, to grow in grace, and to mature in the fruits of the Spirit more and more unto the perfect day.

Before knowing He justifies us can motivate us, we need to be motivated to be justified.

Quote:
Nevertheless, justification and sanctification are different in that justification provides pardon and salvation whereas sanctification empowers us to move beyond the static state of pardon to experience personal "righteousness and true holiness".

You cannot be justified without experiencing personal "righteousness and true holiness." That's impossible.

Also, sanctification is as connected to salvation as justification is. Sanctification and justification cannot be separated. Colin put it nicely, the idea being something like sanctification is justification continuing to be experienced.

Thank you for sharing your view. Justification deals with past pardoned sins. However, it does not change our heart in the same way sanctification does. Jesus will cease offering justification to sinners after probation closes. Sanctification, on the other hand, will continue to happen throughout eternity, namely, growing in grace and maturing in the fruits of the Spirit, which, by the way, does not require justification.

Yes, the affects of justification are eternal, namely, pardon for past sins will never be rescinded. But the application of justification, namely, pardon for new sins, will no longer be available. One reason for this is the simple fact no one will ever sin again. But if they did (and they won't) they would perish without hope of pardon. No more second chances or probations. Conditions leading to sin would mean the person is unwilling to be pardoned.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Justified [Re: Mountain Man] #133379
05/09/11 06:44 PM
05/09/11 06:44 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Yes, yes... smile

Why is justification by faith, imputed righteousness, also called our qualification for heaven? Is pardon alone our qualification for heaven, or also, more importantly, regeneration by the Spirit, rebirth in the Spirit???

The pardon alone explanation you present, MM, looks uncannily like the forensic only, legal standing of acquittal, justification of Evangelicalism. Tell me why it isn't, please?

Is the Spirit of God imputed to us unilaterally by God, or are we born again by imparted righteousness, by choosing to obey before we actually receive the Spirit. That's why rebirth is the experience of justification, and living that new life is sanctification: the experience of justification in action, not just the renewal of a moment.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Justified [Re: Colin] #133395
05/10/11 12:34 AM
05/10/11 12:34 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Thank you for sharing your view. Justification deals with past pardoned sins. However, it does not change our heart in the same way sanctification does. Jesus will cease offering justification to sinners after probation closes. Sanctification, on the other hand, will continue to happen throughout eternity, namely, growing in grace and maturing in the fruits of the Spirit, which, by the way, does not require justification.

You're limiting what justification entails. I've already presented several quotes demonstrating this. First of all, from Waggoner. Jones repeated the same thing. Ellen White echoed their view.

Secondly, from Ellen White herself, the fig-leaf quote. The nakedness is covered (justification), when the heart is merged with Christ's heart, etc. That involves much more than a mere legal pardon for past sins.

Finally, here's another quote:

Quote:
How, then, are we to be saved? "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness," so the Son of man has been lifted up, and everyone who has been deceived and bitten by the serpent may look and live. "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the
Page 176
world." John 1:29. The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. The thoughts and desires are brought into obedience to the will of Christ. The heart, the mind, are created anew in the image of Him who works in us to subdue all things to Himself. Then the law of God is written in the mind and heart, and we can say with Christ, "I delight to do Thy will, O my God." Ps. 40:8.

This is clearly talking about justification, right? Notice what is mentions:

1.Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul.
2.The thoughts and desires are brought into obedience to the will of Christ.
3.The heart, the mind, are created anew in the image of Him who works in us to subdue all things to Himself.
4.Then the law of God is written in the mind and heart, and we can say with Christ, "I delight to do Thy will, O my God." Ps. 40:8.

These are the sorts of things one often thinks of in relation to sanctification, yet here they are all mentioned in the context of justification.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Justified [Re: Tom] #133445
05/12/11 05:00 AM
05/12/11 05:00 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Thanks, Tom, and one more thing, implicit there... wink

The new life of the Spirit created in us by grace through faith in the experience of justification involves us dying to self and sin, too. The heart of the cross for us isn't so much revelation of the love of God toward sinners, and the wrath of God toward sin itself - so, mercy and justice combined, but death to sin - actual, spiritual death to sin by reconnecting to God by his Spirit. The full meaning of the cross is dying to self: that's not mere persuasion and agreement that God is agape - the devils believe and tremble! That's putting the old, sinful man of self to death by the power of God, dying to sin, coming to life in Christ, and living the new life toward God, by the faith of Jesus. Thus justification changes us, not just pardons us.

Jesus himself - since he is the subject of this thread - was burdened with a human, sinful self, but he perfectly denied himself, his assumed, sinful self, in obedience to his Father, submitting thereby to the new life of the Spirit. This was in order to qualify as Saviour of the world, whereafter he might then be the Pioneer and Perfecter of the faith, our Example.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Justified [Re: Colin] #133460
05/12/11 07:42 PM
05/12/11 07:42 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Colin
Thanks, Tom, and one more thing, implicit there... wink

Thanks for the wink. I need all the winks I can get. My office mate was winking at me, but that's because he had something in his eye.

Quote:
The new life of the Spirit created in us by grace through faith in the experience of justification involves us dying to self and sin, too.

I agree with this.

Quote:
The heart of the cross for us isn't so much revelation of the love of God toward sinners, and the wrath of God toward sin itself - so, mercy and justice combined, but death to sin - actual, spiritual death to sin by reconnecting to God by his Spirit.

I disagree with this. Not with the dying to self/sin part, which I agree is essential, but with the "not so much" part. In the DA quote I cited, it starts out telling us it is the love of God shining from the cross that is drawing us, and that all who do not resist this drawing will be saved. So I see it as essential.

Quote:
The full meaning of the cross is dying to self: that's not mere persuasion and agreement that God is agape - the devils believe and tremble!

I mostly agree with this. I agree completely with the point that it's not mere persuasion or agreement that God is agape, but that's not what the quote cited is talking about. It speaks of the agape of God drawing us to repentance, and that we will repent, unless we resist that love. This agrees with Romans, which tells us that it is the goodness of God that leads us to repentance. Often people think it's something else that leads us to repentance, but it's not; it's the goodness of God. So if we wish to cooperate with God in bringing sinners to repentance, what should we do? We should communicate His goodness! I like that idea.

Quote:
That's putting the old, sinful man of self to death by the power of God, dying to sin, coming to life in Christ, and living the new life toward God, by the faith of Jesus. Thus justification changes us, not just pardons us.

I agree with this, except that the "just pardons us" is referring to a general false conception of what "pardon" involves. True pardon, the pardon that Scripture speaks of, and the SOP as well, incorporates all the things you mentioned. There's no such thing as pardon which does not include these things. So "just pardon," properly understood, would be enough, but not "just pardon" according to the common false idea of what pardon entails (i.e., merely a legal problem).

Quote:
Jesus himself - since he is the subject of this thread - was burdened with a human, sinful self, but he perfectly denied himself, his assumed, sinful self, in obedience to his Father, submitting thereby to the new life of the Spirit. This was in order to qualify as Saviour of the world, whereafter he might then be the Pioneer and Perfecter of the faith, our Example

Agreed. The importance of Jesus accomplishing this in order for it to be possible for us is often not understood, since the connection between us and Jesus is broken (by the idea that He didn't take our sinful nature).

Reply Quote
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!