HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 15
Rick H 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 105 1 2 3 4 104 105
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Rosangela] #121489
11/12/09 01:56 AM
11/12/09 01:56 AM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
I'm not sure civilization is more refined -- more technological yes, but refined? I had the opportunity to visit some of the ancient sites of Greece and Rome and they had civilization that in many ways was more refined than are own.

I don't think severe judgments are the key to changing rebellious people. The fear of it might restain them, but the rebellious spirit would still be inside them.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: dedication] #121493
11/12/09 12:24 PM
11/12/09 12:24 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
I'm not sure civilization is more refined -- more technological yes, but refined? I had the opportunity to visit some of the ancient sites of Greece and Rome and they had civilization that in many ways was more refined than are own.

As I said, human beings haven't really changed, and the spirit of the gladiator fights in the arena still survive in the boxing ring, but people in general are a little more conscious about human rights.

Quote:
I don't think severe judgments are the key to changing rebellious people. The fear of it might restain them, but the rebellious spirit would still be inside them.

Yes, the idea was restraint by fear:

"The statutes and judgments given of God were good for the obedient. 'They should live in them.' But they were not good for the transgressor; for in the civil law given to Moses, punishment was to be inflicted on the transgressor, that others should be restrained by fear." {1SP 266.1}

But I think that although fear isn't the ideal motivator for someone to follow God, it has sometimes a place in leading the person to God, being later replaced by nobler motivators like love. Just look at Sinai - it was a terrifying experience.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Rosangela] #121498
11/12/09 04:19 PM
11/12/09 04:19 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
So, why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? Are people, like Tom, correct in saying God ran the risk of being misunderstood, that He compromised until the time and their hearts were right to lead them to higher, holier ground (that is, to love and forgive sinners until they are obedient and submissive)?

Or, did God command capital punishment because it symbolizes the essence and nature of the final judgment (that is, God will execute justice and judgment by punishing and destroying the wicked)? People like Tom, on the other hand, believe sin, not God, is what will punish and kill the wicked.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #121499
11/12/09 06:36 PM
11/12/09 06:36 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
1.I never said God compromised about anything.
2.In regards to the punishment of the wicked, I've never said that God will not punish the wicked, nor that sin, not God, is what will punish the wicked.

I do believe that suffering and death are the inevitable result of sin. Regarding punishment, I believe is plays out as described in GC 35-36:

Quote:
The Jews had forged their own fetters; they had filled for themselves the cup of vengeance. In the utter destruction that befell them as a nation, and in all the woes that followed them in their dispersion, they were but reaping the harvest which their own hands had sown. Says the prophet: "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself;" "for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity." Hosea 13:9; 14:1. Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them, and Satan was permitted to rule them according to his will. The horrible cruelties enacted in the
Page 36
destruction of Jerusalem are a demonstration of Satan's vindictive power over those who yield to his control.

We cannot know how much we owe to Christ for the peace and protection which we enjoy. It is the restraining power of God that prevents mankind from passing fully under the control of Satan. The disobedient and unthankful have great reason for gratitude for God's mercy and long-suffering in holding in check the cruel, malignant power of the evil one. But when men pass the limits of divine forbearance, that restraint is removed. God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown. Every ray of light rejected, every warning despised or unheeded, every passion indulged, every transgression of the law of God, is a seed sown which yields its unfailing harvest. The Spirit of God, persistently resisted, is at last withdrawn from the sinner, and then there is left no power to control the evil passions of the soul, and no protection from the malice and enmity of Satan. The destruction of Jerusalem is a fearful and solemn warning to all who are trifling with the offers of divine grace and resisting the pleadings of divine mercy. Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty.

I doubt I'm going to get involved in a conversation here, but if I see that positions I've expressed are being misstated, I may pop in to say something.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #121508
11/13/09 11:04 AM
11/13/09 11:04 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Tom
1.I never said God compromised about anything.
2.In regards to the punishment of the wicked, I've never said that God will not punish the wicked, nor that sin, not God, is what will punish the wicked.

I'm glad you recognize the truth here, that God will punish sinners. Now...if only we could figure out how it is that God uses "kindness" to punish. smile

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Green Cochoa] #121511
11/13/09 01:31 PM
11/13/09 01:31 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
God punishes according to the principles laid out in the quote I cited.

1.The Jews had forged their own fetters.
2.They had filled for themselves the cup of vengeance.
3.They but reaped the harvest which their own hands had sown. 4.They destroyed themselves.
5.They fell by their iniquity.
6.Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God.
7.It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work.
8.By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them
9.We cannot know how much we owe to Christ for the peace and protection which we enjoy.
10.God's mercy and long-suffering holds in check the cruel, malignant power of the evil one.
11.But when men pass the limits of divine forbearance, that restraint is removed.
12.God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression;
13.He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown.
14.The Spirit of God, persistently resisted, is at last withdrawn from the sinner, and then there is left no power to control the evil passions of the soul, and no protection from the malice and enmity of Satan.
15.Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty.

This outlines the principles involved. Notice that the last principle explicitly identifies the above principles as "punishment," saying that there is not example which serves as more decisive testimony of the certain punishment than the case of Jerusalem. That makes it a great case study!

Regarding kindness:

Quote:
God could have destroyed Satan and his sympathizers as easily as one can cast a pebble to the earth; but He did not do this. Rebellion was not to be overcome by force. Compelling power is found only under Satan's government. The Lord's principles are not of this order. His authority rests upon goodness, mercy, and love; and the presentation of these principles is the means to be used. God's government is moral, and truth and love are to be the prevailing power. (DA 759)

I think what happens is that many simply don't believe that sin and Satan can be defeated by the prevailing power of God's government. Not seeing how truth and love could possible overcome sin or Satan, it is thought that force and violence are necessary. The principles of the enemy are needed to defeat the enemy. Kindness, mercy and love are thought to be insufficient to succeed.

I disagree! I believe that love and truth are strong than sin and the devil, and these principles will overcome! It seems to me, the last chapter of "The Great Controversy" explains how this happens. As the truth is revealed, the wicked lose all desire to attack the city of God, and instead bow to Christ, recognizing God's righteousness, and that He has acted in accordance with the principles of His government (kindness, mercy and love!) throughout.

The chapter "It Is Finished" in "The Desire of Ages," also explains how the revelation of the truth, and the love of God, served to win the Great Controversy.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #121515
11/13/09 03:26 PM
11/13/09 03:26 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
God punishes according to the principles laid out in the quote I cited.

1.The Jews had forged their own fetters. (i.e. God does not do this.)
2.They had filled for themselves the cup of vengeance. (i.e. God does not do this.)
3.They but reaped the harvest which their own hands had sown. (i.e. God does not do this.) 4.They destroyed themselves. (i.e. God does not do this.)
5.They fell by their iniquity. (i.e. God does not do this.)
6.Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. (i.e. God does not do this, hence a "misrepresentation.")
7.It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. (i.e. God does not do this, the devil does.)
8.By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them (i.e. God does not do anything, but rather is prevented from doing something.)
9.We cannot know how much we owe to Christ for the peace and protection which we enjoy. (i.e. God only protects.)
10.God's mercy and long-suffering holds in check the cruel, malignant power of the evil one. (i.e. God only protects.)
11.But when men pass the limits of divine forbearance, that restraint is removed. (i.e. God only protects.)
12.God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; (i.e. God does not punish.)
13.He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown. (i.e. God does not punish.)
14.The Spirit of God, persistently resisted, is at last withdrawn from the sinner, and then there is left no power to control the evil passions of the soul, and no protection from the malice and enmity of Satan. (i.e. God does not punish; Satan does this.)
15.Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty.(i.e. God does not punish, but merely is prevented from protecting?)

You speak from both sides of the mouth here. You say God punishes, but then turn and say He does not.

This outlines the principles involved. Notice that the last principle explicitly identifies the above principles as "punishment," saying that there is not example which serves as more decisive testimony of the certain punishment than the case of Jerusalem. That makes it a great case study!

Indeed, but one is led to believe by your interpretation that this was no Divine act, merely a Satanic "justice."

Regarding kindness:

Quote:
God could have destroyed Satan and his sympathizers as easily as one can cast a pebble to the earth; but He did not do this. Rebellion was not to be overcome by force. Compelling power is found only under Satan's government. The Lord's principles are not of this order. His authority rests upon goodness, mercy, and love; and the presentation of these principles is the means to be used. God's government is moral, and truth and love are to be the prevailing power. (DA 759)

I think what happens is that many simply don't believe that sin and Satan can be defeated by the prevailing power of God's government. Not seeing how truth and love could possible overcome sin or Satan, it is thought that force and violence are necessary. The principles of the enemy are needed to defeat the enemy. Kindness, mercy and love are thought to be insufficient to succeed.

I disagree! I believe that love and truth are strong than sin and the devil, and these principles will overcome! It seems to me, the last chapter of "The Great Controversy" explains how this happens. As the truth is revealed, the wicked lose all desire to attack the city of God, and instead bow to Christ, recognizing God's righteousness, and that He has acted in accordance with the principles of His government (kindness, mercy and love!) throughout.

The chapter "It Is Finished" in "The Desire of Ages," also explains how the revelation of the truth, and the love of God, served to win the Great Controversy.

Tom,

In my view it is God's love, mercy, and kindness -- and GRACE! -- which have earned Him the right, the privilege, the honor of cleansing the Universe from sin once and for all by destroying sin, sinners, and all traces of them, and restoring the repentant ones to righteousness.

This is what the cross was all about.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #121518
11/13/09 04:44 PM
11/13/09 04:44 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
1. I never said God compromised about anything.
2. In regards to the punishment of the wicked, I've never said that God will not punish the wicked, nor that sin, not God, is what will punish the wicked.

I do believe that suffering and death are the inevitable result of sin. Regarding punishment, I believe is plays out as described in GC 35-36 . . .

If God made no compromise, does it mean you believe commanding people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death is perfectly consistent with His law and love?

If you've never said sin, not God, is what will punish and destroy the wicked during the final judgment, does it mean you believe God is the one who will punish and destroy them?

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #121520
11/13/09 04:48 PM
11/13/09 04:48 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
To the first question, "compromise" is rather pejorative. What Jesus said was that certain things were permitted because of the hardness of their hearts.

Regarding the second, I discussed in my response to GC how God punishes.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #121521
11/13/09 04:52 PM
11/13/09 04:52 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Regarding the second, I discussed in my response to GC how God punishes.

But it appeared to me you were discussing how God does not punish. In which of the 15 points in your list do you see God punishing?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Page 2 of 105 1 2 3 4 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!