HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,186 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: kland] #134095
06/03/11 03:06 PM
06/03/11 03:06 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Elle, have you had a chance to determine what your own definition of free will means to you? I was reminded of this by those who refused to define what "drunk" means while at the same time saying it was wrong.

Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: kland] #134147
06/04/11 06:07 PM
06/04/11 06:07 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: kland
Elle, have you had a chance to determine what your own definition of free will means to you? I was reminded of this by those who refused to define what "drunk" means while at the same time saying it was wrong.

Well I did answer you in post #132929 which I said the following :
Originally Posted By: elle post #132929
Just because we have the ability to think and reason, doesn’t equate we have freewill, nor does it mean we are capable or design to govern ourself. If we acknowledge that all things come from God including our thoughts and our will; then God is indeed Sovereign over all including over our own minds, then the reality is there is no freewill.
So to define freewill from that statement by stating the adverse would be :

"freewill is having the ability to generate our own wise thoughts and derive proper choices from it, and therefore can decide our direction based on an intelligent choice."

Also in post #132930 I have stated quotes of many SDAs their definition of freewill in regards to our salvation which all believed that an individual needs to choose Jesus or die. That's the freewill we all have according to the standard christian understanding which I used to believe in all the above also.

These is what I believe freewill means. I hope this is clearer now. If not then here is what the thefreedictionary.com says :

Freewill : “Done of one's own accord; voluntary.”

Voluntary : “of your own free will or design; done by choice; not forced or compelled; "man is a voluntary agent"; "participation was voluntary"; "voluntary manslaughter"; "voluntary generosity in times of disaster"; "voluntary social workers"; "a voluntary confession"

1. Done or undertaken of one's own free will:
2. Acting or done willingly and without constraint or expectation of reward:
3. Normally controlled by or subject to individual volition:
4. Capable of making choices; having the faculty of will.
5. Supported by contributions or charitable donations rather than by government appropriations:

Choice:
1. The act of choosing; selection.
2. The power, right, or liberty to choose; option.
3. One that is chosen.
4. A number or variety from which to choose:
5. The best or most preferable part.
6. Care in choosing.
7. An alternative.

Blessings
Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: kland] #134228
06/07/11 01:49 PM
06/07/11 01:49 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Elle, I hope you can see how you cause great frustration. We ask you to define freewill.

I concluded you are saying there is no freewill. Which came from #132929. In it, you answered, "Just because we have the ability to think and reason, doesn’t equate we have freewill, nor does it mean we are capable or design to govern ourself." Which sure sounds to me like you just said we don't have free will.

In #132930, you said, "Ok, I re-read that section and I just can't see where it might come across as Lucifer has some freewill" and then proceeded to give other people's definition of freewill, which is not what was asked for. Trying to understand what YOUR definition of freewill was, Tom and I kept trying to get you to tell us. The only answer you sounded like you gave was that we don't have freewill. Which prompted me to say
Originally Posted By: kland
Because otherwise, Elle, it sounded like you just said we don't have free will. The only "free will" we are allowed to choose is not to have free will. Is that what you said?
Which then prompted you to say, "I'm not following you? We plainly just don't have freewill."
Which sure sounds to me like you said we plainly just don't have freewill.
Which caused Tom to say, "Elle, what is it you think free will means?"
Which you answered, "Freewill can mean many things to different people. All of it I dissagree."
But yet now, you say about them, "These is what I believe freewill means." But yet again, you said, "which I used to believe"
Which is VERY frustrating since we are asking what you think of it -- not what someone else thinks of it. Why do you do that?

Which, in this latest post, you have continued doing it by saying, "Also in post #132930 I have stated quotes of many SDAs their definition of freewill..."
And then gave a definition from thefreedictionary.com which I am sure you don't agree with.

What gives?!

The only thing I can determine is that you believe we don't have freewill, that we are robots, that satan is a robot and God caused him to sin, but you find that idea repulsive, or think we do, and therefore refuse to say it out as a plainly, "Yes, Tom. That is what freewill means to me: That we don't."

Maybe, just maybe, on second thought, you do indeed believe what other people say about freewill, it's just that while you believe that is what freewill is, you don't believe we have that freewill.

Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: kland] #134246
06/07/11 10:16 PM
06/07/11 10:16 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Kland, sorry to frustrate you. I tried to answer your question at each time the best I could, but I'm not following your reasoning. Sorry.

If you want to discuss according to the Bible about whether we have freewill or not, I’m open to that.

Blessings
Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: Elle] #134249
06/08/11 01:24 AM
06/08/11 01:24 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
From #134147:
Originally Posted By: Elle
"freewill is having the ability to generate our own wise thoughts and derive proper choices from it, and therefore can decide our direction based on an intelligent choice."

It seems like a valid definition, though I don't agree with it.

For me, this is all it boils down to: "Can decide our direction." If you can decide, you have freewill, regardless of what information you may or may not have, or wisdom you may or may not have.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: asygo] #134262
06/08/11 07:36 AM
06/08/11 07:36 AM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: asygo
From #134147:

It seems like a valid definition, though I don't agree with it.

For me, this is all it boils down to: "Can decide our direction." If you can decide, you have freewill, regardless of what information you may or may not have, or wisdom you may or may not have.

So are you saying God created us to be little gods that can self govern ourself?

Blessings
Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: Elle] #134264
06/08/11 09:00 AM
06/08/11 09:00 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
So are you saying God created us to be little gods that can self govern ourself?

That’s precisely the thing about “freewill” Elle, we can, however misguided it ultimately is, govern ourselves. That is what Lucifer’s main argument was in this GC. He was presenting that there was no reason why God’s created beings could live outside of His law and will if they so chose and managed to convince 1/3 of the angels that God had self-interested motives for, effectively commanding such will. And as I more widely understand it, when God made it that man should die if they sinned, thus choosing their own way, by barring access to the Tree of Life, this GC took on a new dimension now involving death. And Satan has variously been seeking to make this worst for man to cause them to hate God and not choose to follow him. So as I see it, this entire GC is only possible because all of God’s created being have freewill, starting with the angels who chose to rebel in Heaven.

And Satan had thought to make men be, or think to be, “little gods”. And the only way for man not to fall for this lie is to freely choose to obey God’s will. Otherwise, for those who choose to not do so, the consequence is eternal death (John 3:16-21).

So though rebelling man is fighting an unwinnable war against the Truth of God and His Perfect and Incontrovertible Ways, they still have the freedom to do so. The option is not God “forcing” men to do His Will. That would actually only prove Satan’s claims against God to have been right, -that He is selfish and self-seeking.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: NJK Project] #134267
06/08/11 12:39 PM
06/08/11 12:39 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Elle, I think NJK did a good job in describing why there IS free will. If, as you claim, we don't have free will and if satan doesn't have free will, what caused satan to sin? Did God direct him to sin for some reason?

Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: NJK Project] #134269
06/08/11 01:00 PM
06/08/11 01:00 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
NJK, thx for your kind reply. I understand this view, however, it is not in harmony with the Bible. This makes us in contradiction with many texts which cannot be taken as it is simply written that needs us to add a few words so to make it fit to this view.

Originally Posted By: NJK
He was presenting that there was no reason why God’s created beings could live outside of His law and will if they so chose and managed to convince 1/3 of the angels that God had self-interested motives for, effectively commanding such will.
Do you have any Biblical support to back up this thrust of Lucifer’s deception?

I think it is very important to understand the fall of Lucifer and Man for in it reveals the nature of the GC.

Blessings
Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: NJK Project] #134273
06/08/11 01:43 PM
06/08/11 01:43 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: NJK
And Satan had thought to make men be, or think to be, “little gods”. And the only way for man not to fall for this lie is to freely choose to obey God’s will. Otherwise, for those who choose to not do so, the consequence is eternal death (John 3:16-21).

I was intrique by your wording of "eternal death", so I search if there were such wording in the entire Bible or any approximation of these words. There's no such wording, not even "for ever death"! or even any close usage with dead.

This is another of man's foolish "imagination" based on mis-understanding of what constitute life or death. Death needs to be defined according to what the Bible reveals.

Blessings
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!