HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,593
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, dedication, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,615 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 31 of 35 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: Charity] #134605
06/18/11 07:54 PM
06/18/11 07:54 PM
G
glenm  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018
Posting New Member
Colorado, USA
Originally Posted By: Mark Shipowick
Thank you for that quote Glen. Notice the last part of the same paragraph:
Quote:
Until Christ shall appear in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory, men will become perverse in spirit and turn from the truth to fables. The church will yet see troublous times. She will prophesy in sackcloth. But although she must meet heresies and persecutions, although she must battle with the infidel and the apostate, yet by the help of God she is bruising the head of Satan. The Lord will have a people as true as steel, and with faith as firm as the granite rock. They are to be His witnesses in the world, His instrumentalities to do a special, a glorious work in the day of His preparation. {4T 594.3}

She not only re-applies Revelation 11 to the future, she identifies the Two Witnesses by first saying that 'she', the church, will prophesy again - the work of the two witnesses. In other words the witnesses are the church. But if this was not clear enough she continues to expand the thought by stating that the true church, those who are like steel and granite in their faith, will be His witnesses.

One way of coming at who the two witnesses really are is to observe that Israel, whether literal Israel or spiritual Israel, has repeatedly been oppressed by Babylon (literal or spiritual).

Some of the periods of oppression were long (1260 years), and some are fairly short (the future).

If there are long periods of oppression, then perhaps it makes sense to think of the two witnesses in abstract and symbolic terms, such as the Old and New Testaments.

On the other hand, if we have the future wrapup of the great controversy, and it takes place over a few years, then it might make more sense to think of the two witnesses as tangible individuals doing a specific work.

For example, here is a quote that describes future witnessing:

Quote:
Servants of God, with their faces lighted up and shining with holy consecration, will hasten from place to place to proclaim the message from heaven. By thousands of voices, all over the earth, the warning will be given. Miracles will be wrought, the sick will be healed, and signs and wonders will follow the believers. Satan also works, with lying wonders, even bringing down fire from heaven in the sight of men. Revelation 13:13. Thus the inhabitants of the earth will be brought to take their stand. {GC 612.1}

Originally Posted By: Mark Shipowick
For me, this is another of those almost irresistible invitations to be among those who deliver the Loud Cry message of the third and fourth angels. I don't believe I'm in that class of granite and steel yet, but do I ever want to be!

I agree that this is the only game in town. I believe that when Daniel 11/12 talk about being "wise", they are referring to this sort of thing -- understanding how God works, what is implied in the great controversy, how we can be successful in cooperating with the Spirit to finish the work, discerning the threats from the world, and so on.

There's another quote that I always come back to when thinking about witnessing for God:

Quote:
Why were they [the 144,000] so specially singled out? Because they had to stand with a wonderful truth right before the whole world, and receive their opposition, and while receiving this opposition they were to remember that they were sons and daughters of God, that they must have Christ formed within them the hope of glory. They were ever keeping in view the great and blessed hope that is before them. What is it? It is an eternal weight of glory. Nothing could surpass it. {1SAT 72.3}

Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: glenm] #134609
06/19/11 01:30 AM
06/19/11 01:30 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
glenm, Succinctly said, I don’t see that the amount of actual time in which a prophecy is to take place is substantively determinative of the meaning of its symbolism.

And the understanding of The Two Witnesses of relatedly being (in the Historical Age) the Word of God =(Old and New Testament) and more specifically in the Eschatological Age, “Moses and Elijah” in a message and possibly through one or more individuals who are bearing this message is seen in the fact that the last testimony in the Old Testament is a summary admonishment to recall and heed the work of both Moses and Elijah (Mal 4:4-6) which are representative of God’s Law and Prophets (Matt 5:17; 7:12; Luke 16:16; 24:27; John 1:45; Acts 13:15; 24:14; 28:23; Rom 3:21; cf. Lam 2:9= the OT Scriptures and by extension, the Word of God, thus also our OT&NT Bibles today).

So that symbolism is still in force even if it is more specific of Moses and Elijah (with also Jeremiah’s ministry alluded to) in its final/eschatological application, as the expected circumstances demand it.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: glenm] #134655
06/22/11 02:51 PM
06/22/11 02:51 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: glenm
On the other hand, if we have the future wrapup of the great controversy, and it takes place over a few years, then it might make more sense to think of the two witnesses as tangible individuals doing a specific work.
Rather than two specific individuals, could it be the books of Daniel and Revelation being presented (and studied as Ellen White recommended!) to the world by those who are wise?

Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: kland] #134661
06/22/11 06:06 PM
06/22/11 06:06 PM
G
glenm  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018
Posting New Member
Colorado, USA
Originally Posted By: kland
Rather than two specific individuals, could it be the books of Daniel and Revelation being presented (and studied as Ellen White recommended!) to the world by those who are wise?

I think there are multiple ways of saying it. If we look at the core cross references on the original passage (Revelation 11:3-6), the names that pop out are Moses and Elijah. These names are also mentioned in connection with John the Baptist as the forerunner of Christ's first advent (Malachi 4:4-6).

But this reference to Moses and Elijah doesn't imply that the two witnesses in the end times are two specific individuals. Rather, the inspired material that I'm familiar with indicates that the two witnesses are groups of people used by God.

I like the idea of linking the witnesses to those who are "wise" in Daniel 11/12. Daniel 11:33 says that that the wise "instruct many".

If someone says that the two witnesses are Moses and Elijah as symbols of God's messengers, or the Old and New Testaments, or Daniel and Revelation, or the Bible and Spirit of Prophecy, or the 144,000, I'm not going to quibble with them.

What seems pretty clear with all these definitions is that there are great truths to be shared from the Bible, and God uses human agents empowered by the Spirit to share those truths. So the two witnesses can be defined in various ways.

Another way of coming at this is to back up a few verses, and consider Revelation 10:11. John is told that he must "prophesy again".

I take this to mean that the three angels' messages are to be repeated after 1844 (2SM 104).

This is especially pertinent during the loud cry period, when God's people work in cooperation with the fourth angel (Revelation 18:1-5) to warn the world.

Here is a quote that brings this together:

Quote:
I saw angels hurrying to and fro in heaven, descending to the earth, and again ascending to heaven, preparing for the fulfillment of some important event. Then I saw another mighty angel commissioned to descend to the earth, to unite his voice with the third angel, and give power and force to his message. Great power and glory were imparted to the angel, and as he descended, the earth was lightened with his glory. The light which attended this angel penetrated everywhere, as he cried mightily, with a strong voice, "Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird." The message of the fall of Babylon, as given by the second angel, is repeated, with the additional mention of the corruptions which have been entering the churches since 1844. The work of this angel comes in at the right time to join in the last great work of the third angel's message as it swells to a loud cry. And the people of God are thus prepared to stand in the hour of temptation, which they are soon to meet. I saw a great light resting upon them, and they united to fearlessly proclaim the third angel's message. {EW 277.1}

Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: glenm] #134666
06/23/11 01:03 AM
06/23/11 01:03 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Originally Posted By: glennm
...Another way of coming at this is to back up a few verses, and consider Revelation 10:11. John is told that he must "prophesy again".

I take this to mean that the three angels' messages are to be repeated after 1844 (2SM 104).

This is especially pertinent during the loud cry period, when God's people work in cooperation with the fourth angel (Revelation 18:1-5) to warn the world.

Here is a quote that brings this together: {EW 277.1 quoted}

I just posted a second part of a prior study together covering the topic of Rev 10's Angel|the 3+1 Angels, especially the Third Sealing Angel Gabriel, and more, on my blog, all in precursor relation to, as internally linked, my study on Rev 11, which all may be helpful here. See those here provided links for more.

Understanding the actual message of the Two Witnesses (starting from the clearly stated Moses and Elijah allusions, and thus, as already stated, main work) should/will lead to its proper interpretation. Even if this is done by a group, it still has to be ascertained that the work of these two great men of God is being done. And so a soul-searching must be done by the Church and its member to make sure that they themselves are not being condemned by this pointed work.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: NJK Project] #134670
06/23/11 01:36 PM
06/23/11 01:36 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
In the light of the “Passion of Christ” themes intertwined in the work of the Two Witnesses (cf. this post), I have found the following SOP to be quite illustrative of, and indicatively allusive tp what is also involved in the work of the Moses Witness.

Originally Posted By: SOP GC 460.1
The great obstacle both to the acceptance and to the promulgation of truth is the fact that it involves inconvenience and reproach. This is the only argument against the truth which its advocates have never been able to refute. But this does not deter the true followers of Christ. These do not wait for truth to become popular. Being convinced of their duty, they deliberately accept the cross, with the apostle Paul counting that "our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;" with one of old, [Moses] "esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt." 2 Corinthians 4:17; Hebrews 11:26.

Similarly, the "Elijah Witness" also involves the call for Israel, now in their own country, to turn away from mixing in the worshipping of idols and thus completely falsifying the Religion of God. (Cf. 1 Kgs 18:21). Both Witness Messages have modern applications in rejecting communally living by and doing the work of God according to, the Law and tenets of Capitalism.

Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: glenm] #134684
06/24/11 05:33 PM
06/24/11 05:33 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
I think I misunderstood you when you said, "two witnesses as tangible individuals", I took that to mean specific individuals rather than a group of people.

Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: His child] #134686
06/24/11 05:49 PM
06/24/11 05:49 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: His child

The health message is a wedge that opens people to the gospel.

Yes, but my question was more. The answer did not give me any meaning other than what I've heard repeated. Maybe instead of "What part do you see", I should have asked, "How" do you see the health message playing in the loud cry or anything else in the end time message or events?

Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: kland] #134691
06/24/11 07:16 PM
06/24/11 07:16 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
In regards to the Loud Cry Message which is (a) said to be health-related; (b) dovetails with the Third Angel’s message; and (c) the repeating of the Second Angel message, this part of this recent post shows how these themes are indeed intricately and interdependently linked.

Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: kland] #134693
06/24/11 09:44 PM
06/24/11 09:44 PM
G
glenm  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018
Posting New Member
Colorado, USA
Originally Posted By: kland
I think I misunderstood you when you said, "two witnesses as tangible individuals", I took that to mean specific individuals rather than a group of people.

I've been thinking about whether there's a way to tie down further who the two witnesses really are.

In the first place, we know that the Revelation 11:3-6 cross references point at Moses and Elijah. We also know that EGW defines the witnesses to be the Old and New Testaments (GC 267).

So how do we unify these items of inspired evidence?

One way is to note that Moses and the Old Testament represent the concept of "law", while Elijah and the New Testament point forward to and describe the ministry of Christ ("gospel"). Both of these points are captured in Malachi 4:4-6.

How does this idea fit in with the ministry of the SDA Church? There are several verses in Revelation that specifically define the distinctive mission of our church. I am thinking in particular of these three:

Quote:
Rev 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Rev 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Rev 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

The remnant is characterized by two things: (a) they keep the commandments, and (b) they have an ongoing walk of faith with Jesus Christ and abide in the prophetic witness about His ways.

So if we follow this model, the two witnesses are Moses and Elijah, or the Old and New Testaments, or the law and gospel. These are three ways of saying the same thing.

Here's a quote that talks about how we are to proclaim the law and the gospel together:

Quote:
The law and the gospel, revealed in the Word, are to be preached to the people; for the law and the gospel, blended, will convict of sin. God's law, while condemning sin, points to the gospel, revealing Jesus Christ, in whom "dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily." The glory of the gospel reflects light upon the Jewish age, giving significance to the whole Jewish economy of types and shadows. Thus both the law and the gospel are blended. In no discourse are they to be divorced.-- Manuscript 21, 1891. {Ev 231.3}

My understanding is that the two witnesses ultimately represent people proclaiming the three angels' messages, especially the last part of Revelation 14:12. In other words, we proclaim a message about honoring God's law through the power of Christ in our lives.

Here's another quote that ties all this together:

Quote:
The faith of Jesus and the testimony of Jesus are blended. They are to be clearly presented to the world. But in God's word we are shown the consequences of proclaiming this message. "The dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ." A refusal to obey the commandments of God, and a determination to cherish hatred against those who proclaim these commandments, leads to the most determined war on the part of the dragon, whose whole energies are brought to bear against the commandment-keeping people of God. "He causeth all, both small and great . . . to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads." Not only are men not to work with their hands on Sunday, but with their minds are they to acknowledge Sunday as the Sabbath. "And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of this name." {PH086 6.3}

Page 31 of 35 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 10:58 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!