HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,593
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, dedication, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 16 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Re: The Bible and Polygamy [Re: Mountain Man] #134834
06/29/11 10:25 AM
06/29/11 10:25 AM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Elle, if what you say is true, what would stop a guy from raping a woman who refused him if he wanted to have her to wife?

Thx for the good question MM. It got me into studying these texts a little closer and came to value much God's laws and would benefit our society today if practiced.

Many things will stop a guy to rape a woman. Here’s are what he will be facing according to the law.
1. Possibly NOT have Her as a Bride : The father of the maiden can refuse to give her as a bride

2. Pay the Bridal Price : He still has to pay the bridal price, however he won’t have much bargaining power, and whatever the father say will go over his say. Basically, the father can lay on the young man the maximum bridal price.

Ex 22:16 “And if a man entice ( pathah), a maid that is not betrothed, and lie with her, he shall surely endow her (4117 mahar literal translation read “ to pay bride price” ) “ to be his wife. 17. If her father utterly refuse to give her unto him, he shall pay money according to the dowry (4117 mahar literal translation “ “as bride price of” ) “ of virgins.” (KJV)

Here the law clearly state that this man has to pay the dowry price regardless if the father of the maiden accepts or refuse to give her hand in marriage in the case of enticing a maiden. If my understanding is correct, I believe the bridal price is not a set price and it is a bargain between the young man and the father of the maiden. It can be a large or a little sum, or even a number of years of labor that both agree on.

Ex 22:16 address a case where there is some type of “consensus” between a man and a maiden, however, biblically it is define as an “enticement”. Whether there is an appropriate “consensus” or not on the part of the maiden, the young man acted improperly and unlawfully. Acting according to the law of God would require a bargaining with her father and then an engagement. He stole the virginity of this maiden in an improper fashion and the offence was against the family, the maiden, the society, and the law of God. God gave the situation in the hand of the father of the maiden to judge the best way to rectify this situation to restore honor to his family, to the church, to the Law of God and to the best interest of his daughter by weighing the matter of consensus vs. enticement. If he view this young man as a good potential son in law, the father will lay a good dowry price higher than enticipated which the young man can work it off by working for the family. In that fashion, the father will be able to train this young man to be a proper husband for his daughter.

3. Pay 50 shekels of silver :
Now in the law of Deut 22, here we deal with another layer which is not a case of “consensing / enticing” (pathah -- ”to open, i.e. be (causatively, make) roomy; usually figuratively (in a mental or moral sense) to be (causatively, make) simple or (in a sinister way) delude.”), but dealing with a case of “ lay hold of her” (taphas – “to manipulate, i.e. seize; chiefly to capture, wield, specifically, to overlay; figuratively, to use unwarrantably.”),

Deut 22:28 “ If a man find a damsel [that is] a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her ( taphas), and lie with her, and they be found;
Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty [shekels] of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days.

Fifty shekels of silver is refered to Lev 27:3 as the estimated value of a vow for a male between 20 – 60 years old. I still don’t understand the meaning of this, but I believe Deut 22:28 is referring to this law. Also, 50 shekels is the value of an homer of barley seeds (Lev 27:16).

I believe the 50 shekels is an additional price to the bargain price of the dowry, for the dowry price is not a set price and can be more or less depending on what the father evaluate her price.

4. Possibly Working as a Slave : If the dowry + the 50 shekels of silver is a sum he cannot pay, then he has to work as a slave according to the Law of repayment in Ex 22:3 “…He shall surely make restitution; if he owns nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft.”
I know this law is dealing with theft, however despite the case is not a literal theft of property, however it is a theft of a virginity and the honor of the family, and a theft of God’s honor which all have value and is measure as a sum of money.

In general and as a principle, all sins are measured as a debt and can be viewed as a theft which requires repayment.

Conclusion A man that thinks to rape a woman has to face the current laws establish in Israel. His maximum risk is ending up working no more than 49 years as a slave for the father of the maiden and not be guaranteed to have her as a bride.

Blessings
Re: The Bible and Polygamy [Re: Elle] #134893
07/02/11 07:28 PM
07/02/11 07:28 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Seems like the women who are raped get the raw end of the deal. Seems even stranger God would frame laws in such an unfair way. Also, do you know where in the Bible it deals with consensual, premarital sexual relations?

Re: The Bible and Polygamy [Re: Mountain Man] #134904
07/02/11 10:05 PM
07/02/11 10:05 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Seems like the women who are raped get the raw end of the deal. Seems even stranger God would frame laws in such an unfair way.

I don't view this as unfair at all, nor do I think she has a raw end of it and I do see the wisdom of the law and see that it protects in great extend the honor of the maiden, the family, and the society.

The penalty for raping a woman is so great that it would make a man think twice before doing it, contrary to today's penalty for the same act. Today guys goes to prison for a year or so for sexual assault and a little more for rape, versus in Israel then, the guy would be a slave for up to 49 years.

Also, do you know where in the Bible it deals with consensual, premarital sexual relations?
???? Well I have quoted it and have discussed it in my post above. Here's the section of it:

Originally Posted By: Elle
“consensing / enticing” (pathah -- ”to open, i.e. be (causatively, make) roomy; usually figuratively (in a mental or moral sense) to be (causatively, make) simple or (in a sinister way) delude.”)

Versus a case of “ lay hold of her” (taphas – “to manipulate, i.e. seize; chiefly to capture, wield, specifically, to overlay; figuratively, to use unwarrantably.”),

Ex 22:16 “And if a man entice ( pathah), a maid that is not betrothed, and lie with her, he shall surely endow her (4117 mahar literal translation read “ to pay bride price” ) “ to be his wife. 17. If her father utterly refuse to give her unto him, he shall pay money according to the dowry (4117 mahar literal translation “ “as bride price of” ) “ of virgins.” (KJV)

Here the law clearly state that this man has to pay the dowry price regardless if the father of the maiden accepts or refuse to give her hand in marriage in the case of enticing a maiden. If my understanding is correct, I believe the bridal price is not a set price and it is a bargain between the young man and the father of the maiden. It can be a large or a little sum, or even a number of years of labor that both agree on.

Ex 22:16 address a case where there is some type of “consensus” between a man and a maiden, however, biblically it is define as an “enticement”. Whether there is an appropriate “consensus” or not on the part of the maiden, the young man acted improperly and unlawfully. Acting according to the law of God would require a bargaining with her father and then an engagement. He stole the virginity of this maiden in an improper fashion and the offence was against the family, the maiden, the society, and the law of God. God gave the situation in the hand of the father of the maiden to judge the best way to rectify this situation to restore honor to his family, to the church, to the Law of God and to the best interest of his daughter by weighing the matter of consensus vs. enticement. If he view this young man as a good potential son in law, the father will lay a good dowry price higher than enticipated which the young man can work it off by working for the family. In that fashion, the father will be able to train this young man to be a proper husband for his daughter.

Comparing with Deut 22:28 “ If a man find a damsel [that is] a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her ( taphas), and lie with her, and they be found;
Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty [shekels] of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days.

Blessings
Re: The Bible and Polygamy [Re: Elle] #134907
07/02/11 11:13 PM
07/02/11 11:13 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I wonder how many rape victims would agree? Also, which passage above do you feel addresses consensual sexual relations?

Re: The Bible and Polygamy [Re: Mountain Man] #135062
07/09/11 09:24 PM
07/09/11 09:24 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
bump

Bumping this one for a response.

I wonder how many rape victims would agree? Also, which passage above do you feel addresses consensual sexual relations?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: The Bible and Polygamy [Re: Daryl] #135147
07/15/11 03:08 PM
07/15/11 03:08 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I would appreciate an answer to the comment and question above.

Re: The Bible and Polygamy [Re: Mountain Man] #135154
07/15/11 04:54 PM
07/15/11 04:54 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
I wonder, Mike...is it important that rape victims agree? Is it more important that they "agree" or that they properly "understand" the Bible's teaching?

Many people disagree with the Bible. Many throw it out because it goes against their own opinions. Should their agreement or disagreement affect our perceptions of it?

Regarding the "consensual" relations--we do not find much in the Bible about this. This word is frequently used in our modern judicial system--a system in which a "non-consensual" intercourse can be defined as "rape" even when it occurs between a husband and wife. In the Bible, there is nary a mention of "rape" (actually, the Bible's word here is "force") within a legal marriage. I'm not trying to say that we have our definitions today all mixed up, I'm just pointing out that there is a much different way of looking at things today.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Bible and Polygamy [Re: Green Cochoa] #135163
07/16/11 02:22 AM
07/16/11 02:22 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I believe consensual, premarital relations is described and dealt with in Deut 22:28-29. The idea that it describes and deals with rape is unconscionable.

Re: The Bible and Polygamy [Re: Mountain Man] #135165
07/16/11 05:09 AM
07/16/11 05:09 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
I believe consensual, premarital relations is described and dealt with in Deut 22:28-29. The idea that it describes and deals with rape is unconscionable.

Much is a matter of definitions. In today's world, for example, even a "consenting" 14-year old (or perhaps any minor) will be counted "raped" if the "offender" were of the age of majority.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Bible and Polygamy [Re: Green Cochoa] #135182
07/16/11 04:29 PM
07/16/11 04:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
In particular, Deut 22:28-29 describes and deals with consensual, premarital sexual relations. According to this passage, this law, people who engage in consensual, premarital sexual relations are obligated to get married and to stay married.

Page 12 of 16 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 10:58 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!