HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,593
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, dedication, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,630 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: Green Cochoa] #136808
10/14/11 01:18 AM
10/14/11 01:18 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
GC, I believe mercy is an inherent part of God's character and law. To exercise mercy rather than justice, however, requires knowing motive. Since only Jesus knows motives, only Jesus can determine whether mercy or justice is appropriate. Were it not the law, it would not occur to us to inquire of Jesus the best course of action to pursue.

Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: Green Cochoa] #136810
10/14/11 02:05 AM
10/14/11 02:05 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
This discussion is scary.

Indeed when God shows us the way in which we are to walk, we should obey.

Yet to apply this fundamental principle of obedience to include executing judgment upon other people which we deem to be guilty of certain sins is the very root and foundation of terrible persecutions, bigotry and terror.

Basically this is saying it's OK to committ murder if you think someone is guilty of blaspheming God or breaking the Sabbath!

Lev. 24:16 And he that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, he shall surely be put to death.

Obviously people were using this for murder without consulting God.

In 1Kings 21 Jezebel got rid of Naboth on the charge of blasphemy so Ahab could get his vineyard.

Stephen was stoned on charges of blasphemy.
They even tried to stone Christ on charges of blasphemy (John 8:59 and 10:31-33)

And yes, one of their reasons for wanting to destroy Christ was because He broke the Sabbath!!! (No He didn't but they were convinced that He did)

Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: Mountain Man] #136815
10/14/11 09:00 AM
10/14/11 09:00 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
GC, I believe mercy is an inherent part of God's character and law. To exercise mercy rather than justice, however, requires knowing motive. Since only Jesus knows motives, only Jesus can determine whether mercy or justice is appropriate. Were it not the law, it would not occur to us to inquire of Jesus the best course of action to pursue.

So Saul was supposed to have asked God if it were His will to execute the witch of Endor?

I do not believe so. If this were the case, why would God give the law to stone such people? Does God give us a law without giving us the wisdom to follow it?

Let us not forget that God did give some specifics in how to follow the law--such as having at least two or three witnesses before executing capital punishments. But, provided the witnesses, in light of the law, God's will was known on certain cases and the people were obligated to follow it.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: dedication] #136816
10/14/11 09:07 AM
10/14/11 09:07 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: dedication
This discussion is scary.

Indeed when God shows us the way in which we are to walk, we should obey.

Yet to apply this fundamental principle of obedience to include executing judgment upon other people which we deem to be guilty of certain sins is the very root and foundation of terrible persecutions, bigotry and terror.

Basically this is saying it's OK to committ murder if you think someone is guilty of blaspheming God or breaking the Sabbath!

Lev. 24:16 And he that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, he shall surely be put to death.

Obviously people were using this for murder without consulting God.

In 1Kings 21 Jezebel got rid of Naboth on the charge of blasphemy so Ahab could get his vineyard.

Stephen was stoned on charges of blasphemy.
They even tried to stone Christ on charges of blasphemy (John 8:59 and 10:31-33)

And yes, one of their reasons for wanting to destroy Christ was because He broke the Sabbath!!! (No He didn't but they were convinced that He did)

Dedication, you are using a fallacy of logic known as the "Straw Man" fallacy. In this fallacy of logic, a person's argument is distorted, misrepresented and/or exaggerated in order to make it appear false. This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious because attacking a distorted version of a position simply does not constitute an attack on the position itself.

Secondarily, by saying "This is scary," you are using another fallacy of logic called the "Appeal to Fear." Whether or not something might be "scary" does not have a logical bearing on its validity or veracity.

These types of arguments, though they might seem interesting, add little value to our discussion.

More on topic--do you believe God gave laws that He did not want the people to follow without them asking Him if they should follow them?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: Green Cochoa] #136819
10/14/11 05:31 PM
10/14/11 05:31 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
*****Removed by Staff and PM sent *****

Last edited by Daryl F; 11/16/11 09:02 PM. Reason: Explained in PM

"All that is Gold does not Glitter, Not all who Wander are Lost." (J.R.R.T.)
Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: JAK] #136825
10/14/11 10:42 PM
10/14/11 10:42 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
***** Removed as part of thread cleanup in that it quoted and replied to a now removed post *****

Last edited by Daryl F; 11/16/11 09:11 PM. Reason: Thread Cleanup
Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: Green Cochoa] #136830
10/15/11 04:47 AM
10/15/11 04:47 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa

Dedication, you are using a fallacy of logic known as the "Straw Man" fallacy.
Green Cochoa.

No, I don't think it's a straw man at all.
I think it will be a VERY REAL ISSUE in the very near future where people will be resorting to just the scriptural logic you appeal to, to put people to death for blasphemy and "sabbath breaking".

I quoted several Bible incidents where people used what they considered the logical application of scripture to kill people that were innocent.

It's not a straw man -- it is a very REAL problem that arises when people take it in their hands to judge on these issues.

What do you think the death decree concerning the Sunday law will be based upon?

Why do you think the scriptures say, "Let no MAN JUDGE you concerning a... Sabbath day?

Why -- because the death decree will come in which all who do not "keep" the "Lords Day" will be ordered to be slain.

Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: Green Cochoa] #136833
10/15/11 05:09 AM
10/15/11 05:09 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa

More on topic--do you believe God gave laws that He did not want the people to follow without them asking Him if they should follow them?

When it comes to the principles governing my life -- of course I am to follow and not try to find a loophole.
Principles should become so much a part of my life that I should not want to find a loophole to excuse disobedience.

But the "rules" you are addressing in this thread (at least if the application of them is a, just do it don't inquire of the Lord or ask questions), go against everything the NEW TESTAMENT teaches.
By observing a strict "JUST STONE THEM" and don't ask any questions type of "obedience" a person is going against everything that salvation stands for -- grace, mercy, forgiveness, restoration.

True, in civic law there are hardened lawbreakers who must be stopped, but hopefully there would be a fair trial preceding the execution. In God's theocracy I would expect a fair trial to include INVOLVING GOD!

Why didn't David get stoned, he committed adultery and murdered the woman's husband. Yet he is called "a man after God's heart"?

Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: dedication] #136834
10/15/11 05:14 AM
10/15/11 05:14 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Dedication,

Your first clue that it really was a straw man argument was the fact that I said so. I know, perhaps a little better than you, what my argument was and is. When I say you are misrepresenting it, it would be gracious of you to accept that as a fact and inquire as to what my position actually is. You attacked (and killed, if I might say so) a position that I do not hold. I would attack that kind of a position too. In other words, I agree with your attack on that misrepresented position. But I do not agree with your depiction of my position, for you did indeed misrepresent it.

Please consider carefully these words, and seek to understand my earlier post for what it is actually saying, not for where you may have jumped to from it. They are two separate positions.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: dedication] #136835
10/15/11 05:33 AM
10/15/11 05:33 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: dedication
When it comes to the principles governing my life -- of course I am to follow and not try to find a loophole.
Principles should become so much a part of my life that I should not want to find a loophole to excuse disobedience.

But the "rules" you are addressing in this thread (at least if the application of them is a, just do it don't inquire of the Lord or ask questions), go against everything the NEW TESTAMENT teaches.
By observing a strict "JUST STONE THEM" and don't ask any questions type of "obedience" a person is going against everything that salvation stands for -- grace, mercy, forgiveness, restoration.

True, in civic law there are hardened lawbreakers who must be stopped, but hopefully there would be a fair trial preceding the execution. In God's theocracy I would expect a fair trial to include INVOLVING GOD!

Why didn't David get stoned, he committed adultery and murdered the woman's husband. Yet he is called "a man after God's heart"?

Until you have begun to understand my position, this post of yours is almost unanswerable. It's a bit like the "Are you still beating your wife?" question that has no correct answer for a bachelor or a gentleman.

However, you brought up David. Let me bring up Abraham. Perhaps this will help you to better understand what I'm trying (with little success so far) to express.

Should Abraham have spent several days of fasting and prayer to seek God's will over whether or not to offer Isaac his son upon the altar after God had told him to do so? (Remember, there was no Urim and Thummim in Abraham's time yet, so he did not have that option.)

On another related point, should the Israelites have sought the priests, with the Urim and Thummim, to know whether or not they should follow the laws of clean and unclean meats, or the law of circumcision, or the laws of sacrifices? Should they seek God's sign to know His will regarding the laws of marriage and divorce? Did God give the Israelites these laws while not expecting them to have sufficient wisdom on their own to understand the laws and to follow them? Did God want them to yet inquire, knowing the law, whether or not God wanted them to follow it?

Do you think the law of stoning was in this category of "God said but you better ask Him again to be sure that this is what He wants done?"

Or do you think, as I do, that God expected people to follow His law without questioning whether or not it was His will for them to follow it?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 10:58 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!