HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,566
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 11
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, Daryl, dedication, 3 invisible), 2,155 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15
Re: The Father created Jesus, then later promoted Him to divinity? [Re: gordonb1] #136903
10/17/11 10:25 PM
10/17/11 10:25 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: gordonb1
Some will reject the Saviour because He is the Son of God, and not God the Father. "He can't be Divine, can't do the job". But this is rejecting God's Plan. God says He gave His Only Begotten Son to save a lost race. God knows the cost of redemption - who are we to argue with Heaven?

Shall we re-order the Universe to suit our fallen human ideas?

The part that is "fallen human ideas" is pretty clear to me. We attach our chronological "time" to everything. But God attaches infinity to His time. "Before Abraham was, I AM." Does this mean that God is a god of the past? Hardly. But it means that He inhabits eternity.

What ramifications does this have? Plenty. It cannot be accurately said that Christ WAS anything--we must say IS. Christ IS the Son of God. Christ IS begotten. When was He begotten? If the question must be answered relative to OUR time, there is only one answer--as a babe in Bethlehem. But before this He was already Promised, and with God, His Word is Truth. A promise is a reality, even before our human time has reached it. It is in this sense in which Jesus has always "been" begotten.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Father created Jesus, then later promoted Him to divinity? [Re: gordonb1] #136904
10/17/11 11:14 PM
10/17/11 11:14 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
but that time was so far back in the days of eternity that to finite comprehension it is practically without beginning

My finite comprehension has no problem in understanding what a beginning is, no matter how far back in eternity this may have happened. So saying that what had a beginning didn1t have a beginning doesn't make any sense at all.

Re: The Father created Jesus, then later promoted Him to divinity? [Re: gordonb1] #136906
10/18/11 12:34 AM
10/18/11 12:34 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

Gordon: Hi Arnold - Yes Jesus was brought forth in the days of eternity and from that point was in close fellowship with His Father. He has everlasting life (as we all hope to) and has always been one with the Father (in mind, character and purpose), just as with the disciples in John 17. ("That they may be one, even as we are one" - v.22)

The Father's name is in Him (in Christ, 'the Angel [messenger] of the Lord', the Son of God who led the Hebrews through the wilderness). (Exodus 23:21)

The Son of God was always subject to the Father (the Ancient of Days) and will be at the last day:

"And when all things shall be subdued unto him (Christ), then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him (The Father) that put all things under him (Christ), that God may be all in all." (1 Corinthians 15:28).

The Father is "The God of our Lord Jesus Christ" (Ephesians 1:17)

The Son is "the Lord's Christ" (Luke 2:26) [the Lord's Anointed One]

Who anointed Jesus? The Father:"How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power." (Acts 10:38)

"God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him." (John 3:34)

It seems there is confusion as to Christ's relationship with the Father after He took upon Himself humanity and before.

True Christ came to reveal God.

John 14:9 Jesus said to him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that has seen me has seen the Father; how is that you now say, Show us the Father?
14:10 Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwells in me, he does the works.
14:11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me:

It's also true that as a human Christ lived in complete obedience to the Father.
But He was EQUAL to the Father not subject to Him before -- In their sinless eternity they acted in perfect unity without One being in subjection to the other.

Originally Posted By: from EGW
"The angels all wear the yoke of obedience. They are the appointed messengers of Him who is the Commander of all heaven. But Christ is equal with God, infinite and omnipotent. He could pay the ransom for man's freedom. He is the eternal self-existing Son, on whom no yoke had come; (YI June 21, 1900)

Voluntarily, by self degradation, the second person of the divinity took an ever smaller position in the comparison to the first person, God father. He accepted willingly a dependent relationship with Him, the same relationship, which humans have to God. This was an inconceivably large condescension for Jesus Christ. He is God in the fullest and highest meaning of the word.

Now it is no longer possibly for angels or humans who all wear the yoke of obedience, to accuse God-- and say "for you it is an easy thing to be make the highest moral requirements of your subjects while you, yourself live above obedience and are all sufficient in yourself .
You cannot understand our situation and all the difficulties, with which we have to fight to live up to your expectations, you don’t know what it’s like to be a created being in subjection to a higher authority, we do not trust you." No, that charge is forever destroyed, for the Bible explains that Christ, Who is God in the highest sense, was tried "in everything like we, but without sin" (see Heb. 4.15)

It was God, for Christ is fully God, who yet fully and completely took upon Himself humanity, refusing to use the power of His Divinity, and depending totally, as any human must, upon the Father. It was the ONE who was equal in all ways to the Father, Who took on humanity and Who struggled in the Garden to submit His human will to the will of the Father.

Of course in this condescension God the Father was the God of Christ.

But God the Father placed ALL THINGS pretaining to mankinds salvation into the hands of Christ! (see John 13:3)
All things-- principalities and powers are subdued by Christ (1 Cor. 15:28) till all God's enemies are gone.

Yet in the end Christ doesn't boast and say -- LOOK I did it, or try to draw everyone to Himself and away from God the Father! No, instead He remains in His human state, as our elder brother, and points us to the Father.

The Father in turn exalts the Son.
That's what their ONENESS does, it's the total opposite to the sinful human struggle for supremacy. It's awesome to contemplate.

Re: The Father created Jesus, then later promoted Him to divinity? [Re: dedication] #136908
10/18/11 01:29 AM
10/18/11 01:29 AM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec

Obedient sons are always subject to their fathers.

Christ was the Son of God before creation, before the fall of Satan.

"And I saw that when GOD said to his SON, Let us make man in our image, Satan was jealous of JESUS."
(1 Spiritual Gifts 17 - Capitals in 1858 original)

"He [Nebuchadnezzar] answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose,
walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt;
and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God." Daniel 3:25.

"How did that heathen king know what the Son of God was like? The Hebrew captives filling positions of trust in Babylon had in life and character represented before him the truth. When asked for a reason of their faith, they had given it without hesitation. Plainly and simply they had presented the principles of righteousness, thus teaching those around them of the God whom they worshiped. They had told of Christ, the Redeemer to come;
and in the form of the fourth in the midst of the fire the king recognized the Son of God."

(Prophets & Kings 509 - 1917)

Re: The Father created Jesus, then later promoted Him to divinity? [Re: gordonb1] #136910
10/18/11 01:43 AM
10/18/11 01:43 AM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
Although I have not posted on this discussion (much to the relief of some, no doubt) I do have one question. (And, no, I have not read the entire 6 pages of posts, nor do I intend to.)

Here's my question:
IF God created Jesus, then later promoted Him to divinity, my question is "When do I get to be God." In other words, what do I have to do to also be promoted to divinity?

Last edited by JAK; 10/18/11 01:44 AM.

"All that is Gold does not Glitter, Not all who Wander are Lost." (J.R.R.T.)
Re: The Father created Jesus, then later promoted Him to divinity? [Re: Rosangela] #136917
10/18/11 04:04 AM
10/18/11 04:04 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
but that time was so far back in the days of eternity that to finite comprehension it is practically without beginning

My finite comprehension has no problem in understanding what a beginning is, no matter how far back in eternity this may have happened. So saying that what had a beginning didn1t have a beginning doesn't make any sense at all.

Good point. I also have no problem comprehending a beginning, though it be nearly an eternity ago. I think this is, perhaps, part of the reason men try so hard to place Jesus in that frame of reference. They simply cannot comprehend a being with no beginning, so they latch onto the smallest hint of one and cling to it.

It is quite possible that the "beginning" here referred to is that point in time when Jesus was committed to becoming one of us and sacrificing His life for us. That is, in fact, the moment when He would have been "begotten." From that Point on, He was a "Son," though at first, only a "Son" of promise, also called the "Promised One."

I can easily enough imagine that there was once a time when He was not thus committed...a time when the Plan of Redemption was not yet securely in place. But that this plan did precede the Creation of the earth is fully evident in the scriptures.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Father created Jesus, then later promoted Him to divinity? [Re: gordonb1] #136918
10/18/11 04:23 AM
10/18/11 04:23 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient

Christ was the Son of God before creation, before the fall of Satan.

"And I saw that when GOD said to his SON, Let us make man in our image, Satan was jealous of JESUS."
(1 Spiritual Gifts 17 - Capitals in 1858 original)

"He [Nebuchadnezzar] answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose,
walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt;
and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God." Daniel 3:25.

"How did that heathen king know what the Son of God was like? The Hebrew captives filling positions of trust in Babylon had in life and character represented before him the truth. When asked for a reason of their faith, they had given it without hesitation. Plainly and simply they had presented the principles of righteousness, thus teaching those around them of the God whom they worshiped. They had told of Christ, the Redeemer to come;
and in the form of the fourth in the midst of the fire the king recognized the Son of God."

(Prophets & Kings 509 - 1917)

Gordon,

Our Lord did not have the name "Jesus" (nor even "Christ") before God gave this name to Mary. The word "Jesus" does not appear even once in the Old Testament, unless you count "Joshua" to be its equivalent. But Mrs. White doesn't ever refer to "Jesus" by the name "Joshua." However, notice the following references.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
As soon as the Lord through Jesus Christ created our world and placed Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, Satan announced his purpose to conform to his own nature the father and mother of all humanity. . . . {CTr 10.3}

God had a church when Adam and Eve and Abel accepted and hailed with joy the good news that Jesus was their Redeemer. ... {CTr 51.2}

How is it that "Jesus" was worshiped by Adam and Eve? Did they know this name?

In the same vein, the "Son of God" is sometimes referred to when looking back to before the time when this title would have been a reality.

In the case of Nebuchadnezzar, I believe his words were either prophetic, or mistranslated. For example, to say "a son of the gods" would be dramatically different than to say "the Son of God."

Numbers 23:19 tells us clearly that God was not a "son of man." That event was still future.

One more reference to "Jesus" before this became His name also seems to explain the final commitment He made to the Plan of Redemption.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Sorrow filled heaven as it was realized that man was lost and that the world which God had created was to be filled with mortals doomed to misery, sickness, and death, and that there was no way of escape for the offender. The whole family of Adam must die. I then saw the lovely Jesus and beheld an expression of sympathy and sorrow upon His countenance. Soon I saw Him approach the exceeding bright light which enshrouded the Father. Said my accompanying angel, "He is in close converse with His Father." The anxiety of the angels seemed to be intense while Jesus was communing with His Father. Three times He was shut in by the glorious light about the Father, and the third time He came from the Father we could see His person. His countenance was calm, free from all perplexity and trouble, and shone with a loveliness which words cannot describe. He then made known to the angelic choir that a way of escape had been made for lost man; that He had been pleading with His Father, and had obtained permission to give His own life as a ransom for the race, to bear their sins, and take the sentence of death upon Himself, thus opening a way whereby they might, through the merits of His blood, find pardon for past transgressions, and by obedience be brought back to the garden from which they were driven. Then they could again have access to the glorious, immortal fruit of the tree of life to which they had now forfeited all right. {EW 126.1}

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Father created Jesus, then later promoted Him to divinity? [Re: gordonb1] #136919
10/18/11 05:15 AM
10/18/11 05:15 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

Quote:
"The angels all wear the yoke of obedience. They are the appointed messengers of Him who is the Commander of all heaven. But Christ is equal with God, infinite and omnipotent. He could pay the ransom for man's freedom. He is the eternal self-existing Son, on whom no yoke had come; (YI June 21, 1900
)

Re: The Father created Jesus, then later promoted Him to divinity? [Re: dedication] #136928
10/18/11 02:55 PM
10/18/11 02:55 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec

"For God so loved the world, that He gave his only begotten Son,
that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16.

Re: The Father created Jesus, then later promoted Him to divinity? [Re: gordonb1] #136981
10/22/11 02:08 AM
10/22/11 02:08 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I asked this in the other related thread to Colin and am now also asking it here to anybody who thinks Christ was created:

Where can this be found in the Bible and/or the SOP?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/11/24 12:20 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!