HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 15 of 28 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 27 28
Re: Salvation of the wicked !!! #14030
06/15/05 03:33 AM
06/15/05 03:33 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Old Tom: In fact, Christ taught the opposite. The parable of the 10,000 talents, the king freely forgave.

R: In the parable of Matt. 18:23-35 the king represents not God, but Christ (COL 244), and he himself pays the price of forgiveness, since the money was his; besides, when the servant proves to be unworthy of the forgiveness he received, he has his debt credited back to him and has to pay entirely for it.

T: What difference does is make if the king is the Father or Christ? When we've seen Christ, we've seen the Father.

Christ pays the money to Himself? That would mean the status quo is unchanged. If I have $10,000 in my account, and you owe me $1,000, and I take $1,000 of my account to pay it back, I wind up with $10,000, just like when I started. There's no difference between this an my simply forgiving the debt. In either case, I'm out $1,000 and you're $1,000 better off.

Old Tom:There's no hint anywhere in Christ's ministry that any payment was necessary for forgiveness to take place.

R: There are not hints, but a plain teaching that the sinner has a debt with God. The parable of Matt. 18, the parable Christ presented to Simon in Luke 7:41, 42, and the parable of the prodigal son, all show that there is a debt and that the king/creditor/father himself absorbs the loss, so in essence he pays it. There is no free lunch; somebody did have to pay the debt.

T: There's no inciation on the part of Christ that there's "no free lunch" or that somebody had to pay the debt in order for God to forgive. I don't have a problem with the idea that we are in debt to God. There's no question about that. Apart from the gracious gift of His Son, we would be dead. So we are infiniately in debt to Him. However, there's no hint that Christ died a debt in order for God to be able to forgive us.

If you want to say that the Father absorbs the loss, that's fine, because that well describes God's gracious character. He absorbs the loss. But in the parable of the prodigal son, there's no payment suggested in order for the father to be able to forgive. When the son started his speech to make a payment, the father cut him off. There was no payment necessary. He was just glad to have his son back.

Old Tom: This seems to be a crucial distinction in how we see things. Is sin benign, or is it deadly?

R: Of course it is not benign, but it is not sin that puts an end to itself; it is God who puts an end to sin. It is probable that if God let things run their course, man would end up destroying himself. But God deliberately chose not to do this; He commands the universe and He will put an end to sin.

T: Then sin is somewhat deadly. But God is very deadly, because His actions to bring about destruction much more quickly than sin would.

Doesn't God bring an end to sin simply by revealing His glory? And His glory is simply His goodness, correct? So God brings about an end to sin simply by being Himself. This means that for sin to exist at all, God must hold back from revealing His glory, doesn't it? When God ceases to hold back from revealing His glory, then sin is destroyed.

Sin only exists artificially, because God holds His goodness in check, so that it's principles can be seen. Once they've been seen for what they are, God allows sin to come to its rightful end, because He can to so without there being doubt that sin has come to an end not arbitrarily, but due to its own inherent deficiencies. It cannot stand up to God's glory; that's how it's deficient.

Re: Salvation of the wicked !!! #14031
06/15/05 03:40 AM
06/15/05 03:40 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
Well, in a sense you are doing it whenever you do not forgive someone who wrongs you – you are declaring you do not want forgiveness. Each time you insist on justice – your kind – you are denying God’s saving justice to yourself. So, you see, it is difficult for the Lord to retain the name in the book of life, since such a one does not want his life.
Yes. "They who hate me, love death." By refusing Christ, who alone can heal us, we are insisting on death. By refusing to forgive others, we are rejecting God's forgiveness of us. That doesn't affect His forgiveness, but it affects our ability to be healed by it. We are healed when we see things the way God does (by being led by His eye, as someone once put it).

Re: Salvation of the wicked !!! #14032
06/15/05 12:29 PM
06/15/05 12:29 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tom,

Absorbing the loss is a form of paying the debt yourself and letting the other person go free. You see that in the parable of Matt. 18, when the servant proves to be unworthy of the forgiveness he received, he has his debt credited back to him and has to pay entirely for it. The same will happen to those who refuse Christ’s sacrifice - they will pay their own debt with God.

quote:
Doesn't God bring an end to sin simply by revealing His glory? And His glory is simply His goodness, correct? So God brings about an end to sin simply by being Himself. This means that for sin to exist at all, God must hold back from revealing His glory, doesn't it? When God ceases to hold back from revealing His glory, then sin is destroyed.
So sin does not put an end to itself. God puts an end to sin and to sinners in the moment He deems appropriate.

John,

Who presents the charge against the wicked? Certainly it’s not them themselves.

“The whole wicked world stand arraigned at the bar of God on the charge of high treason against the government of heaven. They have none to plead their cause; they are without excuse; and the sentence of eternal death is pronounced against them.” {GC 668.2}

Ikan,

The text is correct. God is not waiting to punish the sinner; He would like the sinner to turn from his way and live. The sinner, by his choices, brings the punishment upon himself, and the punishment is to be exposed to God’s wrath against sin. However, God deliberately manifests His wrath at the moment He deems appropriate, and He knows that by so doing He will cause the death of the sinner.

Re: Salvation of the wicked !!! #14033
06/15/05 07:28 PM
06/15/05 07:28 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
R: Absorbing the loss is a form of paying the debt yourself and letting the other person go free. You see that in the parable of Matt. 18, when the servant proves to be unworthy of the forgiveness he received, he has his debt credited back to him and has to pay entirely for it. The same will happen to those who refuse Christ’s sacrifice - they will pay their own debt with God.

T: The parable ends with this:

quote:
So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses. (Matt. 18:35)
This is included in explanations of this question:

quote:
21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? 22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven. (Matt. 18:21, 22)
Christ was explaining the principle of forgiveness. Peter kind of grasped it, and asked if he should forgive seven times (a big improvement over the 3 which the legal tradition required), and Christ explained that God's forgiveness is unlimited. He then explained the principle that if we do not receive God's forgiveness into our hearts, we will be lost. Just before the Peter episode, Christ explained the principle of God's graciously seeking and saving the lost. If we cherish a nigardly spirit (i.e. grudging, petter, meanly small), then God cannot heal us. This is how I understand Christ's teaching.

If you interpret it legalistically, then you are led to the conclusion that God cannot forgive us unless we forgive others. That is, God will kill us if we do not forgive those who are in debt to us. This is salvation by works, and doesn't speak well of God.

Our forgiving others is a natural result of the forgiving love of God flowing in our heart, which happens when we are reconciled to God by faith, which is due to the goodness of God leading us to repentance. The sequence is God's goodness => repentance => faith => we forgive others. It's not we forgive => God forgives or we forgive => God agrees not to kill us.

Old Tom:Doesn't God bring an end to sin simply by revealing His glory? And His glory is simply His goodness, correct? So God brings about an end to sin simply by being Himself. This means that for sin to exist at all, God must hold back from revealing His glory, doesn't it? When God ceases to hold back from revealing His glory, then sin is destroyed.

R: So sin does not put an end to itself. God puts an end to sin and to sinners in the moment He deems appropriate.

T: To say "as He deems appropriate" smacks of arbitrariness. But the death of the wicked is *not* arbitrary. It's not due to an act of power on God's behalf, but is the inevitable result of sin. God ends the arificial environment which is the only way that sin can exist. Sin ends in death, which is what it is supposed to do. Not because of any arbitrary action on the part of God, but because of the nature of sin itself.

Re: Salvation of the wicked !!! #14034
06/16/05 02:59 PM
06/16/05 02:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The salvation of the wicked? Well, since all have sinned and come short of the glory of God, the salvation of the wicked includes every human being ever born, right? There is none righteous, no, not one. But, by the time Jesus arrives to redeem us, it is the righteous that He takes with Him - not the wicked. So, somewhere along the way the wicked become righteous.

Re: Salvation of the wicked !!! #14035
06/16/05 06:15 PM
06/16/05 06:15 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
God justifies the ungodly by faith.

Re: Salvation of the wicked !!! #14036
06/16/05 06:45 PM
06/16/05 06:45 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Jude
1:14 And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,
1:15 To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard [speeches] which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.

Re: Salvation of the wicked !!! #14037
06/16/05 09:52 PM
06/16/05 09:52 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
Mike: The salvation of the wicked? Well, since all have sinned and come short of the glory of God, the salvation of the wicked includes every human being ever born, right? There is none righteous, no, not one. But, by the time Jesus arrives to redeem us, it is the righteous that He takes with Him - not the wicked. So, somewhere along the way the wicked become righteous.
Yes indeed they do, and that is what I was hoping to talk about here, but some are so bent on destruction that we can’t get in edgewise to talk about salvation; and not just salvation for the ones living when he returns, but also the salvation of the wicked now.

Re: Salvation of the wicked !!! #14038
06/16/05 09:56 PM
06/16/05 09:56 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I vote for salvation by faith.

Re: Salvation of the wicked !!! #14039
06/17/05 12:03 AM
06/17/05 12:03 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants.

And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents. But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made. The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all. Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.

But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest. And his fellowservant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all. And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt.

So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done. Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me: Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?

And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him. So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses. Mat 18:23-35

In this parable, all that the servant did was implore for mercy, and the king forgave him all that debt, because he had desired him to do so. That is all; no lawyers; no defense attorney; no accuser; no legal wrangle; no claims of someone else paid it for him; no beliefs; just plain reality of debt and dire need.

I would think that the obvious understanding of this debt is a life of sin, and much of it. Now it seems that all that this sinner did was simply ask for patience, but the king did more; he frankly forgave him. So seems simple enough: looks like all one has to do, is go fall at the king’s mercy and ask forgiveness; How about that?

So why did he not remain forgiven? According to the parable it does not say that he got into more debt (sin). No, he did not seem to get into debt again, did he? Seems like he became a “righteous” man. It seems that now he became very much for “justice”, insomuch so that when he met one who owed him (sinned against him) just a little, he took the full course of the law to him.

Now why should the king be upset with that?
What is the meaning of: “The kingdom of heaven is likened unto” this parable?

Page 15 of 28 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 27 28

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!