HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,594
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,636 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Christian Rock - Evil? [Re: D R] #149723
02/16/13 12:27 AM
02/16/13 12:27 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I would say there is such a thing as "Christian Music", but is there really such thing as "Christian Rock Music"???

Originally Posted By: BeachBubbaDan (BBD)
ah the exogetical rant of an insane man may be seen as brilliant to those who are but blind in his presence.
-Syntax and the study of words in any language including English is but a vain study of letters jumbled together to determine a set output for only a short time. In time each and every word will carry a new and sometimes surprising change. It is the statement of a human whom in Faith explores the Galaxy of divinity in a plea of hope and praise that will be th esound that may fall upon the creator and will be answered in His will, not in mine.
-Some pray to Mary, some pray to Jesus, some pray to the Father, some may not even pray... the relity is that it is His will as to whom shall have eternal life...
just saying smile
-as for the judgement about "Christian Rock" I ask you all is there such thing as "Christian Music"?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Christian Rock - Evil? [Re: Daryl] #149725
02/16/13 12:40 AM
02/16/13 12:40 AM
jamesonofthunder  Offline
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
Do you realize that waltzes were considered evil in their days?

Men have always found a way to make something evil out of what God gave us.

But think about this brother. This is a simplified version of a deep subject.

When Moses left Egypt with their wealth, Egypt went bankrupt and many of the more prominent priests left Egypt with all of their influence and took their show to Pergamum and influenced the music of northern Africa.

Flash forward a couple of thousand years and guess where the Colonies begin to take slaves from? Northern Africa. The music was brought to the shores of America in mainly the port of New Orleans and converted into 'gospel' music through a suppressed race being forced into Christianity.

They were told only to use the black keys on the piano, which forced them to make music in the Pentatonic (Five note) scale which is where all the influence for Blues came from, which directly influenced Rock and Roll, which became repackaged with a new label and brought into the church.

How's that for condensing?

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Re: Christian Rock - Evil? [Re: jamesonofthunder] #149741
02/16/13 05:38 AM
02/16/13 05:38 AM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
Originally Posted By: jamesonofthunder

When Moses left Egypt with their wealth, Egypt went bankrupt and many of the more prominent priests left Egypt with all of their influence and took their show to Pergamum and influenced the music of northern Africa.

Case in point, JSOT, as per our PM discussion. Do you Have ANY documentation or support of ANY kind to back up this statement?

Just wondering. dunno

"All that is Gold does not Glitter, Not all who Wander are Lost." (J.R.R.T.)
Re: Christian Rock - Evil? [Re: JAK] #149743
02/16/13 11:36 AM
02/16/13 11:36 AM
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
I had been studying rock music most of my life before being converted, and now God uses me to share what I've learned to warn others.

Here are some search queries for the lazy to get started in proving this last statement.

Origins of the Blues (See wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origins_of_the_blues)

Pentatonic scale/ five black keys

The third Position of the all black key pentatonic scale is even called the 'Egyptian Suspended scale' because of it's similarities to the music from Egypt that started that tone of music.

The main element of Egyptian influence in our music is in the rhythms and syncopation. These elements are borrowed directly from the Egyptian influenced music from the Days of Moses.

Remember when Moses came down off the mountain and Joshua said he heard war in the camp, Moses said "no they are partying" because he knew the sound of the music. That music was used in worship of the Egyptian god Osiris, represented by the golden calf. This Egyptian god was most similar to the story of Jesus and Satan wanted to distract God's people before receiving the law.

Moses did his best to rid the people of that influence but it arose later in America.

This next quote is from SDA Lloyd Leno's article "Music and the Great Controversy"

... we again turn to the historian Budge, former keeper of Egyptian antiquities in the British museum... this traditional Egyptian style of music and dance spread to the Sudan and Northwest part of Africa where the essential symbolic elements are still very much present and observable. He cites observations of the dress, actions and behavior of the dances using such expressions as "Obscene" "Lewdness" and "distinguishing indecency". (Budge 234, 239)
Budge specifically identifies the most famous of the professional dancing women among the Egyptians, the Ghawazi tribe, that there style of dance using rapid vibrating motion of their hips from side to side are direct descendants of the professional dancers and singers who were part of the temple service in ancient Egypt.
...There is a direct connection between the religious practices of Egypt and that of the west African people"

I could go on and on but you need to do the research yourself JAK.

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Re: Christian Rock - Evil? [Re: jamesonofthunder] #149748
02/16/13 01:26 PM
02/16/13 01:26 PM
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
Now imagine my life experience, being lead to these conclusions, and immediately in that same day two SDA pastors come to my door and tell me they're selling my church to build a celebration type mega church and using flattery to try and get me to orchestrate their staging and music production.

Tell me you wouldn't think you were being assailed by Satan through the church. It happened, I was.

Re: Christian Rock - Evil? [Re: jamesonofthunder] #149752
02/16/13 02:53 PM
02/16/13 02:53 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
I had been studying rock music most of my life before being converted, and now God uses me to share what I've learned to warn others.

You know I will not accept your say-so as authouritative.

Here are some search queries for the lazy to get started in proving this last statement.

Try to confine your digs to our PM, or Daryl will have us turfed off of this forum. (Didn't you read his warning?)

Wikipedia, though interesting to read, is hardly a recognized authority. Any Joe can post there, and it is not peer-reviewed.

Remember when Moses came down off the mountain and Joshua said he heard war in the camp, Moses said "no they are partying" because he knew the sound of the music. That music was used in worship of the Egyptian god Osiris, represented by the golden calf. This Egyptian god was most similar to the story of Jesus and Satan wanted to distract God's people before receiving the law.

Citation needed.

Moses did his best to rid the people of that influence but it arose later in America.

Citation needed.

This next quote is from SDA Lloyd Leno's article "Music and the Great Controversy"

... we again turn to the historian Budge, former keeper of Egyptian antiquities in the British museum... this traditional Egyptian style of music and dance spread to the Sudan and Northwest part of Africa where the essential symbolic elements are still very much present and observable. He cites observations of the dress, actions and behavior of the dances using such expressions as "Obscene" "Lewdness" and "distinguishing indecency". (Budge 234, 239)
Budge specifically identifies the most famous of the professional dancing women among the Egyptians, the Ghawazi tribe, that there style of dance using rapid vibrating motion of their hips from side to side are direct descendants of the professional dancers and singers who were part of the temple service in ancient Egypt.

At least this references someone other than yourself. But who is Leno? What are his credentials? Is he a historian or a trombone player? And he is quoting Budge, so this information is, at best, second hand.

...There is a direct connection between the religious practices of Egypt and that of the west African people"

No doubt. That was never in debate.

I could go on and on but you need to do the research yourself JAK.

No, I don't. You need to supply support for your statements.

Last edited by JAK; 02/16/13 03:32 PM. Reason: Spelling

Re: Christian Rock - Evil? [Re: jamesonofthunder] #149753
02/16/13 03:02 PM
02/16/13 03:02 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada

To restate my earlier challenge, please provide credible citations for the following statements from the above quote:

1. Egypt went bankrupt
2. many of the more prominent priests (especially the "more prominant" statement.)
3. took their show to Pergamum This requires two clarifications. First, a credible citation. Second, a tie-in with the discussion. (ie: What is the significance of the priests going to Pergamum. Pergamum is in Turkey)

Re: Christian Rock - Evil? [Re: jamesonofthunder] #149754
02/16/13 03:35 PM
02/16/13 03:35 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
Wow, you sure know how to stretch things to fit your understanding.

I've had good teachers. wink

This post relates to the above quote and the three posts following it, asking for evidence that we should pray to Jesus. (Post numbers 149716, 149720, and 149722)

We should really start a new thread on this topic, or find an existing one and continue it.

But, that being said, you (JSOT) did not address my Biblical reference in John 14:14 with a Biblical response. You did, however, cite yourself and 2 EGW quotes as authorities.

You must know by this time that I do not accept your opinion as authoritative, despite the voices in your head.*

If you have researched any of my other posts in the past you will have found that I also reject EGW as authoritative.

So, essentially, you have not addressed the challenge.

*Daryl, you can't turf me off for that statement, since he himself admits to it. (See posts #141235 and 141347)

Last edited by JAK; 02/16/13 03:37 PM.

Re: Christian Rock - Evil? [Re: JAK] #149755
02/16/13 04:50 PM
02/16/13 04:50 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
"Amazing Grace", but John Newton, Pentatonic scale.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Christian Rock - Evil? [Re: APL] #149758
02/16/13 06:57 PM
02/16/13 06:57 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
ADMIN HAT ON!!!

Closing down this thread for Admin Review.

ADMIN HAT OFF!!!

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!