HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 15
Rick H 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,847 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Re: Should Christians celebrate Mithra - the birth of the sun god? [Re: Gregory] #148576
12/31/12 04:20 PM
12/31/12 04:20 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Originally Posted By: Gregory
´- - -

I would challenge you to find any date in the year that does not have a pagan association.

If you have studied Hinduism in depth, you know that every day in the year is celebrated as the birth day of multiple Hindu gods and goddesses. There is no day in the year on which Hindus do not believe multiple gods and goddesses were born. The followers of those gods and goddesses celebrate their birthday on that day in the year. IOW, every day in the year is associated with a Hindu religious day of celebration.

You can add to the above all of the other gods and godesses that exist in other religions.

The University of Iceland issues annually an extensive calender as a booklet where you find all kinds of information for every day of the year. Information useful for farmers and many others. As far as I recall it also has the information which saint is hallowed by the Roman Catholic church on each day of the year.

So it might be difficult to find a day that is not hallowed in memory of some saint by the Catholic church as well.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Should Christians celebrate Mithra - the birth of the sun god? [Re: Johann] #148579
12/31/12 06:47 PM
12/31/12 06:47 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
As a church pastor in Virginia, many years ago, I became aquainted with the concept of a "Chrismon tree." I found this to be a very meaningful celebration of Christiaqn liefe an belief.

Briefly: Congregational members handmake Christian themed things to hanage on an evergreen tree. A Chrismon tree has nothing seculasre hanging on it. At its best, it is teh work of loving members of the congregation.

IF you want to, you can find a lot about Chrismon trees on teh Internet. But, here is one post:

Quote:
WHAT'S A CHRISMON? Chrismons are a type of Christmas Tree decoration used in many churches and often in the homes of Christians. The symbols used represent a variety of biblical and theological concepts that are well known among most believers. Often, if the ornaments on a Christmas tree are comprised mostly of Christian symbols, the tree is known as a "Chrismon Tree." Chrismons are white with gold decorations of beads, ribbon, glitter, etc. It is common, however, to see these ancient Christian designs in other colors than white and gold.

NOTE: The word "Chrismon" has been trademarked/copyrighted. See that story on the Internet.

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Re: Should Christians celebrate Mithra - the birth of the sun god? [Re: kland] #148593
01/01/13 07:35 AM
01/01/13 07:35 AM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: kland
I know another church which had a simple undecorated tree out in the foyer.

I know lots of churches that have beautiful bouquets of flowers on the platform. Most have greenery, or floral arrangements of some sort in the foyer, on the piano, or on the platform. In the fall (thanksgiving) we often have colorful garden produce near the front as decoration. And yes, I've often seen small trees used as well (not just at Christmas)

Are you saying it's wrong to decorate churches with nature?

As for the symbol of the cross --
I know one elder who insisted all the handles on the top of the communion covers be cut off because they were in the shape of a cross.
I thought that strange -- a denial that the communion was in remembrance of what happened on a cross 2000 years ago.

Re: Should Christians celebrate Mithra - the birth of the sun god? [Re: dedication] #148595
01/01/13 08:10 AM
01/01/13 08:10 AM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
It seemed to me like this "movement" claiming the cross was a pagan symbol swept in particular parts of the United States about 50-60 years ago. It was about the time I moved from America to Europe. I found no such stigma in Europe at that time.

In Germany, however, I found a similar stigma against the use of churches. Adventists refused to use a church, and would only have their services in a hall or a chapel. They felt that a church building was like a Catholic relic.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Should Christians celebrate Mithra - the birth of the sun god? [Re: Johann] #148609
01/01/13 06:25 PM
01/01/13 06:25 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
Originally Posted By: Johann
Originally Posted By: gordonb1

Johann, do you know any SDA clergy who believe and follow EGW's counsel?

Do you know any who do not?

Let's assume that you're transparently representing the honour of your SDA clergy colleagues Johann - they are all following EGW's counsel to the best of their knowledge - and to the best of your recollection as a world-traveled minister.

Take a small item, flesh eating clergy, given sharp emphasis by EGW, but laughably legalistic to the world.

S.A. Nagel hosted you at his home, and you spoke highly of him in a recent post I recall. Yet he wrote a book "Anti-Meat Special" where he testified that most of his G.C. brethren ate flesh in the cafeteria. Surely it was a bold move for brother Nagel to place inspired counsel above his peers' ridicule. Or was brother Nagel a liar?

Or have the ministers now evolved to heed all the counsel of EGW, shunning not only dead flesh but all animal foods?
Or possibly, have they adopted this 100 year-old light and built upon it, as is their duty & privilege, bringing new light to the people?
Was Sherman Nagel a disgrace or a beacon of light?

Is EGW relevant to ministers today?

Re: Should Christians celebrate Mithra - the birth of the sun god? [Re: gordonb1] #148618
01/01/13 07:56 PM
01/01/13 07:56 PM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
If EGW's counsel were fully followed we would have a very different church today -- there is no question on that point in my mind.

There are ministers that I know who regard EGW as merely a good spiritual writer but not as an "authority".

There are two extremes -
1. Those like I stated above who regard her as merely a good spiritual writer.
2. Those who like to use her as a hammer -- extracting all her most severe statements to individuals, leaving out the statements that show the balance which she gives to the subject, and then making the "extreme statements" a test.

It has often been those operating in #2 mode that have driven people away from EGW's writings for they appear to them unreasonable and outright damaging. They fight against a distorted picture of her messages.

An example -- one person was very familiar with EGW's anti-meat statements. When he found out that EGW herself ate meat occasionally well after writing out the health message, he turned against all her writings.

Eating meat or not eating meat is a principle for HEALTH. If we care for our health we do not eat meat as long as there is other nutritious food available. Meat should not be part of our diet. And yes, she wrote some strong statements to ministers who insisted on a meat diet.
The only way they were going to shake the habit was to STOP their meat consumption totally.

Yet, when EGW and her family were up in the mountains where her husband was recoperating from a stroke, her son went out and shot a duck for food. It's not a matter where we take a stand in which we would rather die than eat meat.

"We are getting short of provisions...A young man from Nova Scotia had come in from hunting. He had a quarter of deer... He gave us a small piece of the meat, which we made into broth. Willie shot a duck which came in a time of need, for our supplies were rapidly diminishing.--Manuscript 11, 1873.

The interesting thing is how those who like to compile her strongest statements against something, will disregard her statements where she says something is "OK" which they think should have been severely rebuked.

Example -- she gives counsel on HOW to observe Christmas, while they heap the whole concept of a time to celebrate Christ's birth with darkest paganism.

But as to your question --

Is EGW relevant to minister today?
Yes, today of all times ministers NEED to take EGW's statements seriously. We are on the brink of stupendous times -- we need the messages God gave her to cast a light on the endtime path even as we keep our eyes on Jesus.

Re: Should Christians celebrate Mithra - the birth of the sun god? [Re: gordonb1] #148622
01/01/13 09:36 PM
01/01/13 09:36 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Originally Posted By: Johann

Johann, do you know any SDA clergy who believe and follow EGW's counsel?

Do you know any who do not?

Let's assume that you're transparently representing the honour of your SDA clergy colleagues Johann - they are all following EGW's counsel to the best of their knowledge - and to the best of your recollection as a world-traveled minister.

Take a small item, flesh eating clergy, given sharp emphasis by EGW, but laughably legalistic to the world.

S.A. Nagel hosted you at his home, and you spoke highly of him in a recent post I recall. Yet he wrote a book "Anti-Meat Special" where he testified that most of his G.C. brethren ate flesh in the cafeteria. Surely it was a bold move for brother Nagel to place inspired counsel above his peers' ridicule. Or was brother Nagel a liar?

Or have the ministers now evolved to heed all the counsel of EGW, shunning not only dead flesh but all animal foods?
Or possibly, have they adopted this 100 year-old light and built upon it, as is their duty & privilege, bringing new light to the people?
Was Sherman Nagel a disgrace or a beacon of light?

Is EGW relevant to ministers today?

Your assumptions are not fully correct.

For clarification let me make a few statements:

1. I have never been to the home of Dr. Nagel. He visited us in Nigeria and enjoyed everything on our table.

2. I have been a vegetarian all of my life, and I have no intention of changing that.

3. As much as I respect Dr. Nagel, I will never make his writings my Bible, nor a foundation for my evaluation of my church.

4. Although I have never had a meal at Dr. Nagel's place I have had meals with uncountable Seventh-day Adventist pastors in many countries in three different hemispheres of this world.

5. Again, although I am a vegetarian myself, my church has never made it a test of fellowship to be a vegetarian. If I do that, I am no longer true to my own church and my fellowship with the believers.

6. Some of the compilations of the writings of Ellen White give more the views of the compilers than those of Ellen White herself. Often those compilers dismiss quite a bit of what she also has written. Consider the post of dedication.

Re: Should Christians celebrate Mithra - the birth of the sun god? [Re: Johann] #148624
01/01/13 09:53 PM
01/01/13 09:53 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
I agree with these points, Johann. Well said. Compilations of Ellen White frequently fail of transmitting her thoughts accurately. She was far more balanced than people make her to be when they quote the more outlying statements.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Should Christians celebrate Mithra - the birth of the sun god? [Re: Green Cochoa] #148628
01/01/13 10:14 PM
01/01/13 10:14 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
I agree with these points, Johann. Well said. Compilations of Ellen White frequently fail of transmitting her thoughts accurately. She was far more balanced than people make her to be when they quote the more outlying statements.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

That sounds very good

Re: Should Christians celebrate Mithra - the birth of the sun god? [Re: Johann] #148636
01/01/13 11:23 PM
01/01/13 11:23 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Quote:
Compilations of Ellen White frequently fail of transmitting her thoughts accurately. She was far more balanced than people make her to be when they quote the more outlying statements.

EGW, contrary to the way that she is often presented was a reasonable person.

How many of you have heard that she said that every woman should have a red dress to wear--Not what she actually said.

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!