HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,127 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Giving Up Jewelry? #148854
01/09/13 04:04 PM
01/09/13 04:04 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Why did Jacob ask his family to give up their jewelry before dedication at Bethel?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Giving Up Jewelry? [Re: Daryl] #148997
01/13/13 06:33 PM
01/13/13 06:33 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Looks like this isn't going to be an active thread. laugh

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Giving Up Jewelry? [Re: Daryl] #149126
01/19/13 02:11 AM
01/19/13 02:11 AM
W
Wendell Slattery  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Veteran Member
Southern California
Daryl,

Well, maybe it won't be a hot button issue, but I do have something to say about this.

I think the whole issue boils down to the influence jewelry has on those around us, an influence that we may not be aware of. Let me illustrate with a story.

Some years ago I took a class in masonry it a local community college. In the class we were assigned to a partner for our activity part of the class that was to be done in the work yard. I took the class thinking that someday I might be able to use the skills around my home, but I soon figured out that I was no mason. Still, I stayed with the class and finished it.

The partner I was assigned to was a fellow by the name of Saul. I never knew his last name, but I really like him. He was an older fellow and a lot of fun to be around in that he was a kindly fellow and also full of good humor that we all enjoyed.

One day I was talking to Saul as we were working in the activity yard and I happened to mention that I have a cousin who teaches in the medical school at Loma Linda University. This brought a most interesting story out of Saul. Now as I relate to you the story he told me, do bear in mind that Saul was a nominal Catholic so far as I know. Here is the story he told me.

Some years before Saul had been a member of a nudist club located in the hills somewhere to the south of Loma Linda University. As it happens, one day one of their club members was injured somehow (he did not tell me the exact nature of the injury or how it happened), and so much injury occurred that they felt that if they waited for an ambulance to come get him to take him to a hospital, he would die before it got there. So, a group of them grabbed their friend and put him in a car and they headed to the emergency room at Loma Linda University Medical Center. When they got there, all of them carried their friend into the emergency room and handed him over to the doctors there to save his life. I don't recall whether he told me just how long they waited, but I got the impression that they waited until their friend was out of danger and then they left and returned to their nudist club facility.

Now, here is where things got very interesting to me as he was relating the story to me. He told me that after they left, they talked among themselves about the experience they had at the medical center at Loma Linda. They had all arrived wearing their birthday suits as they came into the emergency room. They expected to receive a very negative reception because of their condition, and yet, he said that they were extremely well treated. They wondered among themselves about the excellent, respectful treatment they received in spite of their lack of clothing. As they discussed this among themselves, they appreciated the good treatment, but they could not understand it. After puzzling over this for a while, they finally settled on a reason as to why they thought they had been so well treated.

What he said next really shocked and amazed me and I have never forgotten it. I also do not understand it, but here is what he said. They decided that the reason they had all been treated so well was that none of the people working in the hospital were wearing jewelry!! They had indeed noticed the lack of jewelry AND they somehow, for reasons I cannot fathom, they connected this with the treatment they received. To this day I do not know why they connected their treatment with the lack of jewelry on the workers, but that is the truth of what he told me. To me it makes no sense. But there it is.

After the class was finished at the end of the semester, Saul later took a job at a local hardware store and I sometimes ran into him when I went shopping there. I often enjoyed visiting with him for a few moments when I went there and I always forgot to ask him about that incident and learn more about their reasoning behind their thinking that day. Sadly, a few years later he was missing from the store and when I asked about him, they told me that he had passed away from cancer. I wish I had known and could have visited with him one more time before he passed away, but it was too late.

But this story illustrates that even things as simple as lacking jewelry on a person does convey something to those around us. And conversely, one can logically conclude that wearing it conveys a message to those around us. People may react to things about us in ways that we cannot possibly understand, and it may have an influence that we cannot possibly fathom, but just the same, that influence is there and we cannot avoid it.

And just maybe that is why Jacob asked them to remove it. Not that wearing pretty things is always wrong, but having jewelry on us may convey a message that we belong to the world and its ways of thinking and acting, which is something that God wants us not to be. His family was wearing these type of things, so maybe it spoke to those around them and to God about their commitment to him. Jacob wanted them to make a full commitment to God. Removing the jewelry was a part of making that commitment.

Something to think about. Right?

Last edited by Wendell Slattery; 01/19/13 02:14 AM.
Re: Giving Up Jewelry? [Re: Wendell Slattery] #149135
01/19/13 04:22 PM
01/19/13 04:22 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec

Adornment, logos, titles, all say look at me - symbols of pride & covetousness.
But Godly sobriety, discretion, kindness - are symbols of self sacrifice, of Jesus, Who can be trusted.

Re: Giving Up Jewelry? [Re: gordonb1] #149146
01/20/13 06:29 AM
01/20/13 06:29 AM
W
Wendell Slattery  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Veteran Member
Southern California
My father told me an interesting story years ago. I do not recall all the details, but here is what I do recall.

There was a man in the community whose wife was an Adventist and he was thinking about joining the church. Well, time went on and he came down with cancer. The church pastor with the elders and deacons were all called to pray for his healing, my father being among them (he was not the pastor). They prayed and anointed him and my father said that immediately normal color came back into his skin, which had been a deathly color before. Then after this happened, the pastor told this man that if he really wished to have life with Jesus, he needed to take the ring off his finger. He thought for a few seconds and then answered, "NO!" My father said that as soon as he said that, the normal color in this man's skin immediately drained away from his skin and the deathly color that had been there before came back. He died 2 days later.

My father always thought that if the man had said yes, he would not have died from the cancer. Based on what he told me, I think his conclusion was correct. We either hand all over to God or we don't. That may be hard to swallow, but with God its the only way.

Re: Giving Up Jewelry? [Re: Wendell Slattery] #149147
01/20/13 10:13 AM
01/20/13 10:13 AM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
When I was a missionary in Africa I recall a certain African church member wondering why male SDA missionaries wore shirts with colorful ties, golden tie clasps and cuff links, gold watches, preaching vigorously that African females could not wear anything that looked like gold.

Did she have a point?

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Giving Up Jewelry? [Re: Johann] #149148
01/20/13 10:28 AM
01/20/13 10:28 AM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
I understand that the Amish will not wear buttons on their clothes because buttons are ornaments that attract attention.

Where is the "golden" line?

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Giving Up Jewelry? [Re: Wendell Slattery] #149150
01/20/13 12:54 PM
01/20/13 12:54 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
Originally Posted By: Wendell Slattery
That may be hard to swallow, but with God its the only way.

Yes Wendell, too often we are presumptuous & churlish in the face of God's life-saving miracles & mercy.

Give us quail!

Re: Giving Up Jewelry? [Re: gordonb1] #149151
01/20/13 01:00 PM
01/20/13 01:00 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec

Adventists could learn a lot from their humble African brethren,
and from the Amish.

Re: Giving Up Jewelry? [Re: gordonb1] #149152
01/20/13 05:03 PM
01/20/13 05:03 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
I once attempted to do some literature work in Amish territory in Michigan. It seemed like our Bible Story was way too modern for their taste.

They were very kind and willing to help me get some cheap gas for the car since I was doing missionary work.

Last edited by Johann; 01/20/13 05:05 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!