HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,127 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Another look at why Jesus had to die? #15233
08/11/05 12:19 PM
08/11/05 12:19 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
Eve believed, before she actually ate the forbidden fruit, before she actually sinned, that God was unjust. That is exactly what Lucifer believed before he sinned. Neither Eve nor Lucifer was guilty of sinning when they believed God was unjust. It was not until they actually sinned that they became guilty of sinning. Eve was also guilty of coveting or looking "with longing desire" for something that was forbidden, an obvious violation of the tenth commandment.
Thank you for giving some meaning to what you consider sin not to be. However, your statement of “It was not until they 'actually sinned' that they became guilty of sinning” does not define what 'actually sinned' means. I gather you mean "an outward action that transgresses a commandment".

quote:
What is sin? Apparently sinless beings can view God as "unjust" and covet something unlawful and not be guilty of sinning. Of course, the same thing cannot be said of sinful beings.
Again,MM this does not define sin, but your comment here is interesting. You have sinless beings (bodily?), doing sinful things spiritually, as not sinning, while sinful beings doing the same, as sinning.

I think that primarily the reason you say such things is because your preset ideas force you do so, and not because it makes any sense to you.

However I would like to address this later when you confirm what ‘actually sinning’ means.

Re: Another look at why Jesus had to die? #15234
08/11/05 12:40 PM
08/11/05 12:40 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
MM, your point is that since forgiveness for sin requires shedding of blood, (shedding of blood being the reference point) therefore if blood needed not to be shed it could not be sin. But the point of this discussion is whether forgiveness required shedding of blood.

1) The way you use the phrase “without shedding of blood is no remission” is outside of the scriptural ‘preposition’ of it.

2) Scripture plainly states that forgiveness/remission of sins is by repentance, without sacrifice.

Mar 1:4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.
Luk 3:3 And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins;

In fact the reason why the Priests, Pharisees and Sadducees did not go out to be baptized of John, is because, it would have put them out of business. You see those that repented and were baptized of John did not have to go and make an offering as by the law. It was the baptism of repentance that served that purpose. Moreover, the sacrifices which were by the law, could not effect that forgiveness in the minds of the comers thereto. Baptism of repentance could.

Re: Another look at why Jesus had to die? #15235
08/11/05 04:13 PM
08/11/05 04:13 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
I think that primarily the reason you say such things is because your preset ideas force you do so, and not because it makes any sense to you.
I've noticed the same thing. I'm sure we're all guilty of this to some extent, but hopefully we're all open to truth, even if it doesn't jibe with our previous ideas.

Re: Another look at why Jesus had to die? #15236
08/11/05 06:35 PM
08/11/05 06:35 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
If you make a falacious argument I should be able to point that out.

Again, if you discover you cannot make your point without making those types of comments then we can discuss our options at that time. Deal?

quote:
You're contradicting yourself here because Sister White does say that Lucifer/Satan was intentionally misrepresenting God's character for the purpose of self-exaltation, which you agree is sin.

We disagree on this point.

quote:
I agree with this, but Lucifer did not become Satan because of a single act.

True, but the very second he crossed the line he was cast out of heaven. As you have so eloquently pointed out, the moment Lucifer crossed the line there was nothing more God could to woo and win him back. Love had nothing more to offer.

quote:
The issue was not one of God not requiring blood for some reason, but of blood not availing.

Blood wasn’t necessary before God offered to restore Lucifer because he hadn’t crossed the line yet, and, you’re right, blood wouldn’t have done any good after Lucifer became Satan because love had nothing more to offer him.

quote:
There's not a verse in all of Scripture which states it is to satisfy some requirement of God's, or to appease His wrath, or to enable Him to forgive us. The reasons which are given deal with our being reconciled to God.

If blood is not required to satisfy the demands of Justice (God), why, then, did God say, “Without shedding of blood is no remission”? And why did Sister White say, "Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man's stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon"? (1SM 340)

Re: Another look at why Jesus had to die? #15237
08/11/05 06:57 PM
08/11/05 06:57 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
John, when I wrote, “Neither Eve nor Lucifer was guilty of sinning when they believed God was unjust. It was not until they actually sinned that they became guilty of sinning”, I was referring to open rebellion. In the case of Eve, it was when she actually bit into the forbidden fruit. In the case of Lucifer, it was when he rejected God’s final call to repentance, when he committed himself to open rebellion.

quote:

And, your point? What does what you think about what I think have anything to do with what we’re studying here? Why something makes sense to me doesn’t have anything to do with what we’re studying. Please, stick with the facts. Just present your case, and don’t bother trying to articulate why my ideas do not make sense to me. Thank you.

quote:
2) Scripture plainly states that forgiveness/remission of sins is by repentance, without sacrifice.

That’s not how I read it, John. "Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man's stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon.” (1SM 340)

As I see it, the blood of Jesus makes repentance possible and efficacious. “Repentance includes sorrow for sin and a turning away from it.” (SC 23) “Confession will not be acceptable to God without sincere repentance and reformation. There must be decided changes in the life; everything offensive to God must be put away.” (SC 39)

The blood of Jesus purchased for us the right of repentance.

Re: Another look at why Jesus had to die? #15238
08/11/05 10:51 PM
08/11/05 10:51 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Old Tom: If you make a falacious argument I should be able to point that out.

MM: Again, if you discover you cannot make your point without making those types of comments then we can discuss our options at that time. Deal?

Tom: I shouldn't be able to point out that a given argument is unreasonable or fallacious? Is this what you are saying?

I agree completely that I should not use language which is offensive to you. I don't wish to do this, and have asked for help in communicating in a way you find offensive. However, I cannot agree that this means I should not point out arguments which are in error.

Old Tom: You're contradicting yourself here because Sister White does say that Lucifer/Satan was intentionally misrepresenting God's character for the purpose of self-exaltation, which you agree is sin.

MM: We disagree on this point.

Tom: I asked if intentionally misrepresenting God's character for the purpose of self-exaltation was sin, and you said it was. So not you are disagreeing with yourself. I think you were correct before.

Old Tom: I agree with this, but Lucifer did not become Satan because of a single act.

MM: True, but the very second he crossed the line he was cast out of heaven.

Tom: That's simply not true. The Spirit of Prophesy points out that God bore long with Satan and tried many means to convince Satan of his error. She wrote we will be amazed at God's patience. The descriptions she gives do not jibe with your statement that the very second he crossed the line he was cast out of heaven.

MM: As you have so eloquently pointed out, the moment Lucifer crossed the line there was nothing more God could to woo and win him back. Love had nothing more to offer.

Tom: If by crossing the line you mean when Satan finally reached the point in his persistent rebellion and repeatedly and knowingly sinning while refusing God's many offers of pardon on the condition of repentance and forgiveness, then I agree.

Old Tom: The issue was not one of God not requiring blood for some reason, but of blood not availing.

MM: Blood wasn’t necessary before God offered to restore Lucifer because he hadn’t crossed the line yet, and, you’re right, blood wouldn’t have done any good after Lucifer became Satan because love had nothing more to offer him.

Tom: There's nothing magical in blood. It is not the literal blood that saves. The blood represents the life, and it is the life of Christ which saves. Satan already knew that life, but man did not. By a revelation of God's character, man could be brought back to God.

God was willing to do whatever necessary in order to save man, and to save Lucifer/Satan. God would have died for him if it would have done any good. It is because it wouldn't do any good that God didn't die for him. But God did offer to pardon him, "again and again"; and there was no blood involved.

Old Tom: There's not a verse in all of Scripture which states it is to satisfy some requirement of God's, or to appease His wrath, or to enable Him to forgive us. The reasons which are given deal with our being reconciled to God.

MM: If blood is not required to satisfy the demands of Justice (God), why, then, did God say, “Without shedding of blood is no remission”?

Tom: The statement "without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sin" does not address *why* the shedding of blood was necessary. That's the purpose of this thread. I gave a lengthly answer involving many Scriptures pointing out why. The why had to do with winning the Great Controversy, and bring us to God.

As I pointed out, there's not a verse in all of Scripture which states it is to satisfy some requirement of God's, or to appease His wrath, or to enable Him to forgive us. I take it you agree with this assertion of mine, since you didn't attempt to produce any.

MM: And why did Sister White say, "Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man's stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon"? (1SM 340)

Tom: This is unresponsive to my assertion, as it is not Scripture.

Regarding the Spirit of Prophesy statement I would say that what it does NOT mean is that God had an arbitrary requirement for blood in order to pardon us. This is evident by the fact that God was willing to pardon Lucifer/Satan without any blood being involved.

Justice demands obedience to the law, and that sin result in death. Christ accomplished both things. He perfectly obeyed the law, and when He was made to be sin for us, He died. It is certainly true that Christ died in our stead, and this is just.

Re: Another look at why Jesus had to die? #15239
08/11/05 11:18 PM
08/11/05 11:18 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
As I see it, the blood of Jesus makes repentance possible and efficacious. “Repentance includes sorrow for sin and a turning away from it.” (SC 23) “Confession will not be acceptable to God without sincere repentance and reformation. There must be decided changes in the life; everything offensive to God must be put away.” (SC 39)
I agree with this wholeheartedly; it is what I and Tom have been saying all the time. We are the ones whose heart and mind needed changing, not God. Christ did not die to appease God; enable God to forgive us; but rather God gave his son, that we might be enabled to repent and receive his forgiveness.

Re: Another look at why Jesus had to die? #15240
08/11/05 11:35 PM
08/11/05 11:35 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
And, your point? What does what you think about what I think have anything to do with what we’re studying here? Why something makes sense to me doesn’t have anything to do with what we’re studying.
MM, studying is an endeavor to understand. Understanding, by its very nature, makes sense. To simply assert statements; you yours and Tom his or I mine, is not study. Why something makes sense is what studying and understanding is about. That is why this topic has a "why" in its title.

Re: Another look at why Jesus had to die? #15241
08/12/05 02:59 PM
08/12/05 02:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
I shouldn't be able to point out that a given argument is unreasonable or fallacious? Is this what you are saying?

However, I cannot agree that this means I should not point out arguments which are in error.

You are free to post whatever you want to, but if you continue to post offensive comments I will simply stop studying with you. If I post something that, in your opinion, you think is untrue or heresy, then I would prefer it if you would simply quote inspired statements that plainly say so, ones that do not rely on your private interpretation.

However, telling me that you think my comments or arguments are unreasonable or ridiculous is totally unacceptable behaviour, in my opinion. And I will not tolerate it. Not because I’m thin-skinned, which I am, but because it pollutes the atmosphere. MSDAOL should be a safe and friendly place for members and visitors to read and study.

quote:
That's simply not true.

We do not agree on this point.

quote:
This is evident by the fact that God was willing to pardon Lucifer/Satan without any blood being involved.

We do not agree on this point, either.

Re: Another look at why Jesus had to die? #15242
08/13/05 03:51 AM
08/13/05 03:51 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:

In this case, John, you are telling me that I believe something that doesn’t make any sense to me. How do you know it doesn’t make any sense to me? Please keep these kinds of comments and opinions to yourself.

Eve believed, before she actually ate the forbidden fruit, before she actually sinned, that God was being “unjust”. That is exactly what Lucifer believed before he sinned. Neither Eve nor Lucifer was guilty of sinning when they believed God was being “unjust”. Before Lucifer became Satan, before he committed himself to open rebellion, the doubts he disseminated were, in the eyes of God, considered sinless. God also considered Eve sinless when she coveted, with “longing desire", something that was forbidden, an obvious violation of the tenth commandment.

How do you explain these facts?

quote:
Christ did not die to appease God; enable God to forgive us; but rather God gave his son, that we might be enabled to repent and receive his forgiveness.

I believe all of the above is true. There is an aspect about the wrath of God that needs appeasing. “The soul that sinneth it shall die an everlasting death--a death that will last forever, from which there will be no hope of a resurrection; and then the wrath of God will be appeased.” (EW 51) It is my desire to understand in what sense punishment and the death penalty appeases the wrath of God, in what sense it satisfies the justice and vengeance an offended God. Check out this long list of quotes that describe this very thing:

"Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man's stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon.” (1SM 340)

“The heavy judgments that were to befall the impenitent, --war, exile, oppression, the loss of power and prestige among the nations,--all these were to come in order that those who would recognize in them the hand of an offended God might be led to repent.” (PK 309)

“How intense was the desire of the humanity of Christ to escape the displeasure of an offended God, how His soul longed for relief, is revealed in the words, "O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done." (5BC 1103)

“As Jesus moved out of the Most Holy place, I heard the tinkling of the bells upon his garment, and as he left, a cloud of darkness covered the inhabitants of the earth. There was then no mediator between guilty man, and an offended God.” (1SG 198)

“The last message of mercy is now going forth. It is a token of the long-suffering and compassion of God. Come, is the invitation now given. Come, for all things are now ready. This is mercy's last call. Next will come the vengeance of an offended God.” (2T 225)

“They will meet with eternal loss in the end. They will lose the mansions Jesus has gone to prepare for those who love Him, and will lose that life which measures with the life of God. And this is not all. They must suffer the wrath of an offended God for having withheld from Him their service and given all their efforts to His worst enemy.” (2T 286)

“These dumb dogs that would not bark are the ones who feel the just vengeance of an offended God. Men, maidens, and little children all perish together.” (5T 211)

Jesus lived and died the perfect life and death to satisfy the requirements necessary to redeem us from the wrath of God, from the vengeance of God, and from the death penalty. For some reason, for reasons that make perfect sense to God and the holy angels, the life and death of Jesus was necessary to satisfy the demands of Justice. I cannot ignore the facts in the case, but neither can I understand them. So, I accept them by faith, and trust that God is love, and that whatever He is doing is holy, just, and good.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!