HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,956 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 15 of 32 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 31 32
Re: What saves us? [Re: asygo] #153212
06/15/13 07:55 AM
06/15/13 07:55 AM
APL  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
The problem with the legal view is you got God pleading with God to not punish the sinners whom God sent His son to save from himself. Really? NO. Makes no sense at all. And I think our young people see this and it turns God into a tyrant. God is the one to be feared, not sin or the devil. The devil's picture of God is one who is a harsh creditor, a stern severe judge. Sin is the cause of all suffering and death. Not God. EGW: God made man perfect and holy and happy; and the fair earth, as it came from the Creator's hand, bore no blight of decay nor shadow of the curse. It is transgression of God's law that has brought woe and death. What brought woe and death? Sin. Note her wording very carefully. Man, as God created him, was perfect and holy and happy. Man is not now as God created him. We have changed. We inherit this blight, and it is accumulating from generation to generation. Is this a legal problem? Is all creation under legal condemnation? NO.

James 5:16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that you may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.

It is healing we need.

Do I deny that Christ bore the condemnation of sin in our behalf? Not at all! He became sin for us. He carried our sin literally, in His body on the tree. He knows our sickness, our sorrows, he was a man of the same. And by going through this in our behave, He is our faithful high priest to make reconciliation for the sins of the people. I rejoice in this. It means he knows how to heal all who come to Him.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: What saves us? [Re: APL] #153219
06/15/13 02:52 PM
06/15/13 02:52 PM
APL  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
But then, you don't accept substitution. You only accept genetic manipulation. That's a problem.
I deny substitution? No. I deny penal substitution, that somehow, legally punishing Christ in some way saves me. I support real substitution. Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ lives in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Christ was obedient to every requirement of the law. He said of Himself, "I delight to do Thy will, O My God; yea, Thy law is within My heart." Psalm 40:8. When on earth, He said to His disciples, "I have kept My Father's commandments." John 15:10. By His perfect obedience He has made it possible for every human being to obey God's commandments. When we submit ourselves to Christ, the heart is united with His heart, the will is merged in His will, the mind becomes one with His mind, the thoughts are brought into captivity to Him; we live His life. This is what it means to be clothed with the garment of His righteousness. Then as the Lord looks upon us He sees, not the fig-leaf garment, not the nakedness and deformity of sin, but His own robe of righteousness, which is perfect obedience to the law of Jehovah. {COL 311.4}

That's real substitution.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: What saves us? [Re: APL] #153221
06/15/13 10:00 PM
06/15/13 10:00 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
HOW does god inflict the penalty of the law? Does sin cause death or does God cause death? Put all the EGW quotes together and you get the answer.

The problem is that you don't put all the EGW quotes together. I've already answered this, and you didn't explain the quotes:

Quote:
To me, the death of the wicked is a combination of two factors: one intrinsic and one extrinsic; it's the result of the glory of God (extrinsic) acting upon sin (intrinsic). So it's not just intrinsic, neither is it just imposed.

In all who submit to His power the Spirit of God will consume sin. But if men cling to sin, they become identified with it. Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them. ... The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. {DA 107.4}

You don't seem to realize that your theory goes against what Ellen White says.

Re: What saves us? [Re: APL] #153222
06/15/13 10:39 PM
06/15/13 10:39 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: APL
The problem with the legal view is you got God pleading with God to not punish the sinners whom God sent His son to save from himself. Really? NO. Makes no sense at all. And I think our young people see this and it turns God into a tyrant. God is the one to be feared, not sin or the devil. The devil's picture of God is one who is a harsh creditor, a stern severe judge. Sin is the cause of all suffering and death. Not God.

You must think that death is the worst thing that can happen to an incorrigible sinner. That's common, but very wrong. The worst fate for a sinner is eternal life, the best is eternal death. And that's exactly what God says is going to happen.

Do you really think that sin and/or Satan will give the sinner what is in the sinner's best interests? Or does Satan want immortal sinners, but was thwarted in Eden?

What do you think is best for an incorrigible sinner: life or death? Once you answer that, ask yourself this: Who will give that to the sinner, God or Satan?

Those who flatter themselves that He is too merciful to execute justice upon the sinner, have only to look to the cross of Calvary. {GC 539.3}

You present "God pleading with God to not punish the sinners whom God sent His son to save from himself" and mock it, only to replace it with another faulty idea. The fact is the Godhead - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - is working out the best destiny for each person, whether it is eternal life or eternal death. Some people think that it is always good to plead for eternal life, but God is wiser and more merciful than that.

If God wanted to give a person life, but Satan wanted that person dead, do you really think Satan's will can override God's will? Is Satan that powerful? I don't think so.

Last edited by asygo; 06/15/13 10:46 PM.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: What saves us? [Re: APL] #153226
06/15/13 11:09 PM
06/15/13 11:09 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
The destruction and consequences of sin are intrinsic to sin, not God.

I see a serious flaw in this argument. It doesn't take into consideration that God created the law of cause and effect. He annexed penalties for the transgression of His laws, whether physical or moral. Our bodies (and minds) could simply have been created in a different way. For instance, eating carrion does no harm to black vultures, but what will it do to you? Radiation does no harm to a cockroach, but what will it do to you? It’s obvious that God affixed a penalty for acting in certain ways.

The will of God establishes the connection between cause and its effects.”{ApM 26.1}

Re: What saves us? [Re: Rosangela] #153235
06/16/13 04:14 AM
06/16/13 04:14 AM
APL  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Absolutely!!! Cause and Effect!!! The penalties are not extrinsically applied, they are intrinsic. God designs our bodies and all aspect of our bodies are controlled by laws. Violating these laws don't get us into legal trouble, they get us into real trouble.
Originally Posted By: EGW
In the creation of man was manifest the agency of a personal God. When God had made man in His image, the human form was perfect in all its arrangements, but it was without life. Then a personal, self-existing God breathed into that form the breath of life, and man became a living, breathing, intelligent being. All parts of the human organism were put in action. The heart, the arteries, the veins, the tongue, the hands, the feet, the senses, the perceptions of the mind--all began their work, and all were placed under law. Man became a living soul. Through Jesus Christ a personal God created man and endowed him with intelligence and power. {8T 264.1}

BTW - radiation - why does radiation kill us? It scrambles our DNA. But the breakage happens at the added non-original DNA. But I digress...

Re: What saves us? [Re: asygo] #153236
06/16/13 04:22 AM
06/16/13 04:22 AM
APL  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
The problem with the legal view is you got God pleading with God to not punish the sinners whom God sent His son to save from himself. Really? NO. Makes no sense at all. And I think our young people see this and it turns God into a tyrant. God is the one to be feared, not sin or the devil. The devil's picture of God is one who is a harsh creditor, a stern severe judge. Sin is the cause of all suffering and death. Not God.

You must think that death is the worst thing that can happen to an incorrigible sinner. That's common, but very wrong. The worst fate for a sinner is eternal life, the best is eternal death. And that's exactly what God says is going to happen.

Do you really think that sin and/or Satan will give the sinner what is in the sinner's best interests? Or does Satan want immortal sinners, but was thwarted in Eden?

What do you think is best for an incorrigible sinner: life or death? Once you answer that, ask yourself this: Who will give that to the sinner, God or Satan?

Those who flatter themselves that He is too merciful to execute justice upon the sinner, have only to look to the cross of Calvary. {GC 539.3}

You present "God pleading with God to not punish the sinners whom God sent His son to save from himself" and mock it, only to replace it with another faulty idea. The fact is the Godhead - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - is working out the best destiny for each person, whether it is eternal life or eternal death. Some people think that it is always good to plead for eternal life, but God is wiser and more merciful than that.

If God wanted to give a person life, but Satan wanted that person dead, do you really think Satan's will can override God's will? Is Satan that powerful? I don't think so.
I find it so interesting that you think you know what I think. How do you do that? Why do you do that? Interesting...

I think your assumptions are wrong. You state:
Satan is the destroyer, God is the restorer. That said, is it Satan that kills the sinner or God? Wrong question! Sin kills. Sin causes death. It is true that Satan is the author of sin and its results. God is not the killer. "Sin, when IT is full grown, brings death", James 1:15.
Originally Posted By: EGW
Satan, the author of sin and all its results, had led men to look upon disease and death as proceeding from God,--as punishment arbitrarily inflicted on account of sin. Hence one upon whom some great affliction or calamity had fallen had the additional burden of being regarded as a great sinner. {DA 471.1}

Thus the way was prepared for the Jews to reject Jesus. He who "hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows" was looked upon by the Jews as "stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted;" and they hid their faces from Him. Isaiah 53:4, 3. {DA 471.2}

God had given a lesson designed to prevent this. The history of Job had shown that suffering is inflicted by Satan, and is overruled by God for purposes of mercy. But Israel did not understand the lesson. The same error for which God had reproved the friends of Job was repeated by the Jews in their rejection of Christ. {DA 471.3}

Re: What saves us? [Re: asygo] #153240
06/16/13 06:21 AM
06/16/13 06:21 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Did the destruction of the world by the flood destroy sin? No. Malachi 4 tells us that when the fires do come at the end, the sinners will be stubble. They are dead. Then the fires cleanse the earth? Why fire? Why burn up the whole earth if the sinners are dead? Why Green?

Thus saith the Lord through Ellen White:

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Then the end will come. God will vindicate His law and deliver His people. Satan and all who have joined him in rebellion will be cut off. Sin and sinners will perish, root and branch, (Malachi 4:1),--Satan the root, and his followers the branches. The word will be fulfilled to the prince of evil, "Because thou hast set thine heart as the heart of God; . . . I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire. . . . Thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more." Then "the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be;" "they shall be as though they had not been." Ezekiel 28:6-19; Psalm 37:10; Obadiah 16. {DA 763.4}

This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Ephesians 4:18; Proverbs 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them. {DA 764.1}

Who says, in the Bible, APL, "I will destroy thee, O covering cherub!"

Can sin speak? Is sin a sentient being? Is sin God?

You say God does not destroy. He says He will. Who are we supposed to believe? Should I believe God, the Bible and Ellen White? Or should I believe APL instead, and trust him to show me the proper way to salvation against all of these inspired writings?

I know Who I'll trust.

And what about that little mention of "sin and sinners will perish?" Why is sin mentioned first? What would happen to APL's poor theory if sin were destroyed before sinners? Hmmm....I guess the sinners would not then be able to be destroyed by sin, right? Because sin would already be extinct.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: What saves us? [Re: APL] #153242
06/16/13 06:27 AM
06/16/13 06:27 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA

I find it so interesting that you think you know what I think. How do you do that? Why do you do that? Interesting...

I do that based on your obscure non-answers. You are opaque. You are unable or unwilling to give plain answers. It's sad, not interesting.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: What saves us? [Re: APL] #153244
06/16/13 06:37 AM
06/16/13 06:37 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
I think your assumptions are wrong. You state:
Satan is the destroyer, God is the restorer. That said, is it Satan that kills the sinner or God? Wrong question! Sin kills. Sin causes death. It is true that Satan is the author of sin and its results. God is not the killer. "Sin, when IT is full grown, brings death", James 1:15.

You make it sound like sin is sentient, with a will and the power to effect it's decisions. But we know that is not the case. There are only two combatants in this war.

We also know that the unrepentant sinner will die. Whose will is it that such a one should die rather than live eternally? IOW, who made it so that sin is self-limiting because it kills its victims?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 15 of 32 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 31 32

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!