HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,566
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 11
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (ProdigalOne, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 1
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Biblical Distinction Between Killing and Murder [Re: Green Cochoa] #168598
10/03/14 04:21 AM
10/03/14 04:21 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
* * * MOD HAT ON * * *

A couple of off-topic posts have been removed. Please keep posts on topic. The thread title shows what the topic is. It is: "Biblical Distinction Between Killing and Murder."

For the sake of clarification, this topic is simply what it says it is. Tangential topics like "does God punish" and "should we love our neighbor" are better fit for other threads.

Thank you!

* * * MOD HAT OFF * * *

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Biblical Distinction Between Killing and Murder [Re: asygo] #168610
10/03/14 01:32 PM
10/03/14 01:32 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: asygo
If you can't see any distinction in the Biblical instructions regarding those two cases, there really is no point in asking someone to explain the distinction to you.
I see.

So if I don't understand the difference, then I don't deserve to know the difference.

Re: Biblical Distinction Between Killing and Murder [Re: Green Cochoa] #168613
10/03/14 01:35 PM
10/03/14 01:35 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Loving your neighbor is directly related to the topic. Who is your neighbor? A thief that comes to steal? Yes. Is your property more valuable than the thief? Will you kill a thief in order to keep you precious dollars? If you kill in self-defense, you are not lying in wait, it was not premeditated, must be the right thing, right? That is NOT what Jesus said. How readest thou?

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Biblical Distinction Between Killing and Murder [Re: Green Cochoa] #168614
10/03/14 01:44 PM
10/03/14 01:44 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
There are none so blind as they who will not see. Pride of opinion blinds many eyes. It is human nature. But it is something which we need to overcome if we wish to follow Jesus and His light.
Green, even though you say I am getting caught up in the examples you give, even though you say I need to understand the principle, even though I ask you for the principle of the examples you give, you have yet to give the principle. Is that because you do not know it? Is that because you see the fallacy of the examples you give? Is that because you realize talking about revengers of killing have nothing to do with making any such distinction?

Quote:
In the case of murder vs. killing, the ripple effect from this belief touches many other beliefs, including, most importantly, one's understanding of the nature of God Himself--such as whether or not He will punish the sinner. Less importantly, it touches on Bible translations and versions, church authority, and obedience to God in spite of not understanding His commands--not to say that these things are unimportant. Any one of these things may affect one's salvation.
Oh yes! I agree wholeheartedly! Which is what we have been saying. But when you hide behind your examples, thinking there is some "principle", and keep repeating it hoping there is some principle that it somehow relates to the topic, but yet fail to be able to specify any principle, what does that say about your understanding of the nature of God Himself?

Re: Biblical Distinction Between Killing and Murder [Re: kland] #168625
10/03/14 06:27 PM
10/03/14 06:27 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: kland
Originally Posted By: asygo
If you can't see any distinction in the Biblical instructions regarding those two cases, there really is no point in asking someone to explain the distinction to you.
I see.

So if I don't understand the difference, then I don't deserve to know the difference.

Again, you misunderstand. Here's the simple truth: If you can't see the difference, you will never understand the difference.

That you cannot see the stark difference between life and death indicates that there is no hope for you to see the nuances between killing and murder. Read the Deut passage again and try to see the differing instructions for people who flee to the cities of refuge. But while you see no difference, there's no point in moving from milk to meat.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Biblical Distinction Between Killing and Murder [Re: kland] #168659
10/05/14 02:57 AM
10/05/14 02:57 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: kland
Green, even though you say I am getting caught up in the examples you give, even though you say I need to understand the principle, even though I ask you for the principle of the examples you give, you have yet to give the principle. Is that because you do not know it? Is that because you see the fallacy of the examples you give? Is that because you realize talking about revengers of killing have nothing to do with making any such distinction?

I have given the principle in this thread already. The fact that you haven't seen it further supports Arnold's understanding of your present blindness.

I will give it again, as I have no need to be miserly with the truth, I have nothing to hide, and the truth is so simple a child can understand it.

The distinguishing principle between "murder" and "killing" in the Bible can be condensed to one concept: LOVE.

If I kill in hate, it is murder. If I kill in strict justice and love, in order to uphold God's commandments, it is not.

That's pretty simple, isn't it? Are you able to see a distinction between love and hate?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Biblical Distinction Between Killing and Murder [Re: Green Cochoa] #168670
10/05/14 06:07 AM
10/05/14 06:07 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
What a twisted view of love. Please, show your view from the words of Jesus? You can't. Christ's commandments were to turn the other cheek, to do GOOD to your enemy. That is pretty simple.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Biblical Distinction Between Killing and Murder [Re: APL] #168671
10/05/14 08:16 AM
10/05/14 08:16 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: APL
What a twisted view of love. Please, show your view from the words of Jesus? You can't. Christ's commandments were to turn the other cheek, to do GOOD to your enemy. That is pretty simple.

I cannot show you perhaps, but I have already shown everyone else here. Did you think God's words in the Old Testament were not Jesus' words? In this you were mistaken.

"The instruction given in the Old Testament Scriptures is as verily the word of Christ as the instruction in the New Testament." -- Ellen White

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Biblical Distinction Between Killing and Murder [Re: Green Cochoa] #168680
10/05/14 02:45 PM
10/05/14 02:45 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
I have shown you in a post that Jesus got His view of God from the OLD TESTAMENT. You deleted the post as off topic.

Re: Biblical Distinction Between Killing and Murder [Re: APL] #168697
10/05/14 07:33 PM
10/05/14 07:33 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: APL
I have shown you in a post that Jesus got His view of God from the OLD TESTAMENT. You deleted the post as off topic.

He didn't just view God, He WAS the God of the OT. So, that Deut passage was from Jesus Himself.

And in the NT, I don't think Jesus was pronouncing eternal life upon the goats. And the most massive death scene of all is found in Christ's Revelation of Himself. If you can't accept that God's love can include death, you're going to have to reject the NT along with the OT.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/11/24 12:20 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!