HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,195
Posts195,570
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 18
kland 11
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 3,098 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
What Are the Beliefs of Arianism? #159604
12/25/13 04:29 PM
12/25/13 04:29 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
As Walter Veith referred to Arianism as a heresy, I decided to look into the beliefs of Arianism.

I googled the word Arianism and found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arianism

The first two paragraphs, which I am quoting below, caught my attention:
Quote:
Arianism is the theological teaching attributed to Arius (ca. AD 250–336), a Christian presbyter in Alexandria, Egypt, concerning the relationship of God the Father to the Son of God, Jesus Christ. Arius asserted that the Son of God was a subordinate entity to God the Father. Deemed a heretic by the Ecumenical First Council of Nicaea of 325, Arius was later exonerated in 335 at the regional First Synod of Tyre,[1] and then, after his death, pronounced a heretic again at the Ecumenical First Council of Constantinople of 381.[2] The Roman Emperors Constantius II (337–361) and Valens (364–378) were Arians or Semi-Arians.
The Arian concept of Christ is that the Son of God did not always exist, but was created by—and is therefore distinct from—God the Father. This belief is grounded in the Gospel of John passage “You heard me say, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’ If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I." (John 14:28)[3] [See also Colossians 1:15—"He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation;"; also, Revelation 3:14—"These are the things that the Amen says, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation by God"; and Proverbs 8:22–29.]

They basically believe that Jesus didn't always exist, but was a created being and consequently a distinct being that was not equal with God, but was subordinate to God.

Any thoughts on this?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: What Are the Beliefs of Arianism? [Re: Daryl] #159611
12/25/13 06:31 PM
12/25/13 06:31 PM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Arianism in various forms raged -- and still rages.
Even the popular anti-Arianism concept still has Christ being "eternally generated" by the Father.

The doctrine that Christ is a distinct Being, fully God -- One with God Father, without beginning or end, is simply a hard concept to grasp thus all kinds of ideas have been foisted upon Christians.

Personally I have found this discussion which has raged on many a forum including this one, to be very painful. As there are Adventists who are Arian in their beliefs and too often the discussion ends up dragging Christ down.
The finite mind is very limited when it comes to understanding what makes God, God.

Arian Adventists will deny being Arian, as they say Christ was "born" not "created" sometime prior to His incarnation. But the end is the same -- they believe Christ had a beginning and is not God in the full sense that the Father is God.

The problem with the above posted question is that the Texts quoted are also in the KJV as well as in the newer versions. All misinterpretations are not the result of mistranslations.

“You heard me say, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’ If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I." (John 14:28)

When Jesus took on humanity He also took on complete subjection to the will of the Father.
Match that verse with Philippines 2:5-9 that states before His condescension Christ was equal to God.

See also Colossians 1:15—"He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation;";

Firstborn here, does not mean God began giving birth and every creature that followed was also literally "born" of God in a literalistic sense. First born of creation — would be followed by second born of creation - third born etc. (By the way there is a whole doctrine of demons from that misunderstanding )

Yet we must see this verse in context. Read the verse following, Colossians 1:18, and see it in context.

For by Him were all things created..All things were created through Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things consist.
"And He is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the FIRSTBORN FROM THE DEAD: that in all things he might have the pre-eminence."

Now that we've read the whole passage we realize that firstborn of every creature means PRE-EMINENCE. This pre-eminence is established first because Christ is the creator of all!

also, Revelation 3:14—"These are the things that the Amen says, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation by God";

WHO is "the Amen"?

Deut. 7:9 The "Amen" God is the faithful God. (the Hebrew word faithful comes from "amen")
Isaiah 49:7 "Jehovah that is faithful.
Isaiah 65:16 "The God of truth," marg. "The God of Amen".

"Amen" spoken by God means "it is and shall be".

Jesus Christ was the member of the Godhead to begin creating — in fact — nothing NOTHING was created without Him.

John 1:3 "All things were made by Him; and without Him was not anything made that was made."
Colossians 1:16,17 For by Him were ALL THINGS created. .visible or invisible thrones, dominions, principalities, or powers, all things consist by Him!

Paul's Greek here is clear: He (Jesus Christ) created "ta panta" -- the all.

Re: What Are the Beliefs of Arianism? [Re: dedication] #159614
12/26/13 02:48 AM
12/26/13 02:48 AM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec

Our leading pioneers were united on this fundamental point:

http://www.theprophetstillspeaks.co.uk/Index.htm

Re: What Are the Beliefs of Arianism? [Re: gordonb1] #159615
12/26/13 04:36 AM
12/26/13 04:36 AM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
One of the major texts that raises the question of an "Arian" Bible
is --

As cited in the KJV, the Geneva Bible, Tyndale's Bible, Young's literal translation --

Quote:
1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

Luther's 1545 German Bible skips the verse.

Did the apostle John write that verse and was it later deleted from some manuscripts?
Or, as some claim, was it later inserted when the Trinitarians won over the Arians?

A Trail of Evidence shows this text was known at a very early date by writers from about 200 AD through the 1500s.

Here is a timeline someone made of references to this verse:
Obviously it was known as early as 200 A.D.

200 AD Tertullian quoted the verse in his Apology, Against Praxeas

250 AD Cyprian of Carthage, wrote, "And again, of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost it is written: "And the three are One" in his On The Lapsed, On the Novatians, Ecclesiasticorum Latinorum, Academia Litterarum Vindobonensis, vol. xviii, p. 6.]

350 AD Idacius Clarus referred to it [Patrilogiae Cursus Completus, Series Latina by Migne, vol. 62, col. 359.]

350 AD Athanasius referred to it in his De Incarnatione
398 AD Aurelius Augustine used it to defend Trinitarianism in De Trinitate against the heresy of Sabellianism

415 AD Council of Carthage appealed to 1 John 5:7 when debating the Arian belief (Arians didn't believe in the deity of Jesus Christ)

450-530 AD Several orthodox African writers quoted the verse when defending the doctrine of the Trinity against the Vandals. These writers are:
A) Vigilius Tapensis in "Three Witnesses in Heaven"
B) Victor Vitensis in his Historia persecutionis [Corpus Scriptorum Ecclesiasticorum Latinorum, Academia Litterarum Vindobonensis, vol. vii, p. 60.]
C) Fulgentius in "The Three Heavenly Witnesses" [Patrilogiae Cursus Completus, Series Latina by Migne, vol. 65, col. 500.]

500 AD Cassiodorus cited it [Patrilogiae Cursus Completus, Series Latina by Migne, vol. 70, col. 1373.]
550 AD Old Latin ms r has it
550 AD The "Speculum" has it [The Speculum is a treatise that contains some good Old Latin scriptures.]
750 AD Wianburgensis referred to it

And
800 AD the revised Jerome's Vulgate has it --- BUT it was not in Jerome's original Vulgate which he translated 400 years earlier.
It was brought in about 800 AD from good Old Latin manuscripts.]

So why did Jerome leave it out even though men 200 years earlier were already referring to it as scripture?

157-1400 AD Waldensian (Vaudois) Bibles have the verse

Originally Posted By: David Daniels
Now the "Waldensian," or "Vaudois" Bibles stretch from about 157 to the 1400s AD. The fact is, according to John Calvin's successor Theodore Beza, that the Vaudois received the Scriptures from missionaries coming from Antioch of Syria in the 120s AD and finished translating it into their Latin language by 157 AD. This Bible was passed down from generation, until the Reformation of the 1500s, when the Protestants translated the Vaudois Bible into French, Italian, etc. This Bible carries heavy weight when finding out what God really said. John Wesley and Jonathan Edwards believed, as most of the Reformers, that the Vaudois were the descendants of the true Christians, and that they preserved the Christian faith for the Bible-believing Christians today.

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by TheophilusOne. 04/19/24 11:14 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!