HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,566
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 11
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (ProdigalOne, 1 invisible), 2,655 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Who Are the Sons of God on Genesis 6:2???? #162744
03/02/14 08:13 PM
03/02/14 08:13 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Who are the sons of God in reference to in Genesis 6???

Genesis 6:2 says in the following versions/translations below:
Quote:

Genesis 6:2 King James Version That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

Genesis 6:2 Good News Bible some of the heavenly beings saw that these young women were beautiful, so they took the ones they liked.

Genesis 6:1 Contemporary English Version More and more people were born, until finally they spread all over the earth. Some of their daughters were so beautiful that supernatural beings came down and married the ones they wanted.
Gen 6:2 (SEE 6:1)

Genesis 6:2 (From the Hebrew-English Bible):
:
:
וַיִּ רְ אוּ 26:
u·irau
and·they-are-seeing
בְ נֵי
bni
sons-of
־
-
הָ אֱ הִ ים
e·aleim
the·Elohim
אֶ ת
ath
»
־
-
בְּ נת
bnuth
daughters-of
הָ אָ דָ ם
e·adm
the·human
כִּ י
ki
that
טֹ בֹ ת
tbth
good-ones
הֵ נָּה
ene
they(f)
וַיִּ קְ חוּ
u·iqchu
and·they-are-taking
לָ הֶ ם
l·em
for·them
נָשִׁ ים
nshim
women
מִ כֹּ ל
m·kl
from·all
אֲשֶׁ ר
ashr
whom
בָּ חָ רוּ
bchru
they-chose
:
:

Here we have "sons of God" in the KJV and in most other versions/translations, however, there are two others in the above quote that uses the words "heavenly beings" and "supernatural beings" that has resulted in the creation of this thread, which tells me that there are those who believe differently about this from my understanding about this to the point that at least two versions/translations are using words other than the "sons of God."

Thoughts?

Last edited by Daryl; 03/03/14 01:03 PM. Reason: Added a quote from a Hebrew-English Bible

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Who Are the Sons of God on Genesis 6:2???? [Re: Daryl] #162745
03/02/14 08:15 PM
03/02/14 08:15 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Check this link out:

http://www.herealittletherealittle.net/index.cfm?page_name=Genesis-6-Sons-of-God

I want you to know that this isn't what I believe, however, as I do know a person who does believe this, that is another reason why I created this thread.

Daryl smile

Re: Who Are the Sons of God on Genesis 6:2???? [Re: Daryl] #162749
03/02/14 09:54 PM
03/02/14 09:54 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Amazing! But dealing with this kind of question I think was the purpose of this forum. ***** STAFF EDIT *****

Last edited by Daryl; 03/03/14 12:43 AM. Reason: Staff Edit to remove inappropriate content.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Who Are the Sons of God on Genesis 6:2???? [Re: Daryl] #162755
03/02/14 10:50 PM
03/02/14 10:50 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
For some time the two classes remained separate. The race of Cain, spreading from the place of their first settlement, dispersed over the plains and valleys where the children of Seth had dwelt; and the latter, in order to escape from their contaminating influence, withdrew to the mountains, and there made their home. So long as this separation continued, they maintained the worship of God in its purity. But in the lapse of time they ventured, little by little, to mingle with the inhabitants of the valleys. This association was productive of the worst results. "The sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair." The children of Seth, attracted by the beauty of the daughters of Cain's descendants, displeased the Lord by intermarrying with them. Many of the worshipers of God were beguiled into sin by the allurements that were now constantly before them, and they lost their peculiar, holy character. Mingling with the depraved, they became like them in spirit and in deeds; the restrictions of the seventh commandment were disregarded, "and they took them wives of all which they chose." The children of Seth went "in the way of Cain" (Jude 11); they fixed their minds upon worldly prosperity and enjoyment and neglected the commandments of the Lord. Men "did not like to retain God in their knowledge;" they "became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened." Romans 1:21. Therefore "God gave them over to a mind void of judgment." Verse 28, margin. Sin spread abroad in the earth like a deadly leprosy. {PP 81.2}

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Who Are the Sons of God on Genesis 6:2???? [Re: Daryl] #162764
03/03/14 01:14 AM
03/03/14 01:14 AM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Good quote APL. thumbsup

Daryl smile

Re: Who Are the Sons of God on Genesis 6:2???? [Re: Daryl] #162823
03/03/14 05:04 PM
03/03/14 05:04 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Heavenly beings could be considered heavenly ones, or Godly ones, but supernatural beings is a little off. There are some who have such a desire for space aliens having sex with men that it has affected their translations. They would be the ones who don't believe Ellen White. Of course, they have to somehow get "Sons of God" to mean evil angels, or that good angels marry humans. Then there's the issue of whether it is happening after the flood. The song, "Devil in Bluejeans", keeps playing in my mind when the topic comes up.

The link is by Bryan T. Huie, but sounds familiar. For some reason. Including the Millennium portion.

Re: Who Are the Sons of God on Genesis 6:2???? [Re: Daryl] #163037
03/06/14 11:31 PM
03/06/14 11:31 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
This link shows the following name at the bottom:

Bryan T. Huie
December 26, 1996
Revised: August 18, 2012
Originally Posted By: Daryl
Check this link out:

http://www.herealittletherealittle.net/index.cfm?page_name=Genesis-6-Sons-of-God

I want you to know that this isn't what I believe, however, as I do know a person who does believe this, that is another reason why I created this thread.

Daryl smile

Re: Who Are the Sons of God on Genesis 6:2???? [Re: APL] #163201
03/10/14 06:35 AM
03/10/14 06:35 AM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
From the quote it obviously had something to do with the descendants of Seth marrying descendants of Cain.

But there seems to be something more to it.

There was something unique about their offspring.

Re: Who Are the Sons of God on Genesis 6:2???? [Re: Daryl] #163249
03/11/14 03:53 PM
03/11/14 03:53 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Daryl
Who are the sons of God in reference to in Genesis 6???

Genesis 6:2 says in the following versions/translations below:
Quote:

Genesis 6:2 King James Version That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

Genesis 6:2 Good News Bible some of the heavenly beings saw that these young women were beautiful, so they took the ones they liked.

Genesis 6:1 Contemporary English Version More and more people were born, until finally they spread all over the earth. Some of their daughters were so beautiful that supernatural beings came down and married the ones they wanted.
Gen 6:2 (SEE 6:1)

Genesis 6:2 (From the Hebrew-English Bible):
:
:
וַיִּ רְ אוּ 26:
u·irau
and·they-are-seeing
בְ נֵי
bni
sons-of
־
-
הָ אֱ הִ ים
e·aleim
the·Elohim
אֶ ת
ath
»
־
-
בְּ נת
bnuth
daughters-of
הָ אָ דָ ם
e·adm
the·human
כִּ י
ki
that
טֹ בֹ ת
tbth
good-ones
הֵ נָּה
ene
they(f)
וַיִּ קְ חוּ
u·iqchu
and·they-are-taking
לָ הֶ ם
l·em
for·them
נָשִׁ ים
nshim
women
מִ כֹּ ל
m·kl
from·all
אֲשֶׁ ר
ashr
whom
בָּ חָ רוּ
bchru
they-chose
:
:

Here we have "sons of God" in the KJV and in most other versions/translations, however, there are two others in the above quote that uses the words "heavenly beings" and "supernatural beings" that has resulted in the creation of this thread, which tells me that there are those who believe differently about this from my understanding about this to the point that at least two versions/translations are using words other than the "sons of God."

Thoughts?

******* I've heard it said that translation is a difficult affair.

A VERY good example of this is Mat. 5:29, "And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell."

The KJV translators were acquainted with the Catholic concepts of "purgatory" and an "eternally burning lake of fire after death". In translating the text for their generation therefore, they chose words with which their readers were familiar. That gave rise to "HELL" in Mat. 5:29.

But, in fact, Jesus was NOT speaking of the after life or judgement at all. He was merely pointing out the state of adulterous people in the eyes of God: they were like rubbish! And what did the people in his day so with dead carcass? They threw the carcass out of the city in a place where "the fires are never quenched and the worms do not die": GEHENNA!

The focus of the words of Jesus on this matter was this: beautiful people who pride themselves on the attractiveness of their body and go about life in a worldly state are like rubbish and dead carcass and ugly dogs to God. To Him, rather, the ugly of the world (when they are kind and gracious in spite of their deficiencies) are a sweet aroma. In short, what is pleasant to God is not valued by society in general. And what is unpleasant to society, when there is good within, is precious to Him. Those who are like that are THE sons of God (heavenly beings, born again, Messianic, Christian).

******* It takes patience and wisdom and the Spirit of discernment sometimes to really understand the Bible in English.

///

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/11/24 12:20 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!