HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,186 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Is white rice more healthful than brown rice? [Re: Green Cochoa] #167140
07/29/14 05:47 AM
07/29/14 05:47 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Green - in post #167122, I quoted Mercola from his website. As for white rice, far better that what? Brown? THAT again goes against the SOP which Dedication quoted. I will agree that white rice is better than most American diets. I'll take the SOP over the websites you quoted any day.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Is white rice more healthful than brown rice? [Re: APL] #167141
07/29/14 06:32 AM
07/29/14 06:32 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: APL
Green - in post #167122, I quoted Mercola from his website. As for white rice, far better that what? Brown? THAT again goes against the SOP which Dedication quoted. I will agree that white rice is better than most American diets. I'll take the SOP over the websites you quoted any day.

APL,

Your manner of reasoning is well known here. I probably shouldn't waste time trying to correct your misconceptions. You read Dr. Mercola the same way you read the Bible and Ellen White--and miss the true message, not seeing the forest for the trees. But sometimes, APL, the details matter.

Poisoning the well... Let me quote Mercola: "Grains should represent a small part of your diet, regardless of your age. I personally seek to avoid most grains, except rice." He then quotes "experts", one says avoid all grains, the other says a few non-toxic grains. Mercola says white is better that brown, but is the evidence quoted valid?

In your quote, you included the first sentence which said "Grains should represent a small part of your diet, regardless of your age." Does that suddenly mean that we should not have grains in our diet at all? You see, you and I interpret differently.

Dr. Mercola is not advocating a grain-free diet. He's advocating limiting our grain intake so that it is a "small part" of the diet. A word to the wise should suffice--read carefully.

As for white rice, far better that what? Brown? THAT again goes against the SOP which Dedication quoted.

Prove it. Mrs. White makes no mention of brown rice, nor white rice. She does not even mention polished rice, and nowhere does she speak of whole-grain rice. Most of her mentions of rice are as a surname, not the food. She really had little to say about rice. Americans, Europeans, and Australians--the countries she was most familiar with--use little rice. She does mention rice, rice pudding (contains milk and eggs as well), and rice flour porridge.

Even the dictionary of Mrs. White's day did not seem to understand rice.

Originally Posted By: Webster's 1828 Dictionary
A plant of the genus Oryza, and its seed. The calyx is a bivalvular uniflorous glume; the corol bivalvular, nearly equal, and adhering to the seed. There is only one species. This plant is cultivated in all warm climates, and the grain forms a large portion of the food of the inhabitants. In America, it grows chiefly on low moist land, which can be overflowed. It is a light food, and said to be little apt to produce acidity in the stomach. Indeed it seems intended by the wise and benevolent Creator to be the proper food of men in warm climates.

There are many species of rice. So much for that definition. Most people here where I am eat glutinous rice ("sticky" rice). I've never seen a "brown" form of this rice--though I've seen some other varieties of sticky rice that are purple or red, or almost black. It is quite different from the "pretty" rice (white rice) that many eat. Sticky rice must be cooked more like beans, and it keeps much longer after cooking than does white/brown rice.

The fact is, more than 99% of the rice consumed in South-east Asia is "white" rice. In many areas, such as where I live, brown rice is not even obtainable.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Is white rice more healthful than brown rice? [Re: Green Cochoa] #167144
07/29/14 03:28 PM
07/29/14 03:28 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Yeah - I read Mercola like EGW, I read all around and don't take just a sentence here and there. As a whole, I'll pass on Mercola. As for EGW, it is hard for you to accept all she says...

Here is one of your sound bites: Quote Green:"In your quote, you included the first sentence which said "Grains should represent a small part of your diet, regardless of your age." Does that suddenly mean that we should not have grains in our diet at all? You see, you and I interpret differently. "

Now, did you keep reading what Mercola said? NO. You stopped with the first sentence. Mercola goes on to say, "I personally seek to avoid most grains, except rice. " Does that fit your interpretation of what he said? Nope.

Green: "Prove it"
Here you ignore what she said in the quotes provided by Dedication. Why? I said the answer is there. NOTE, EGW: "Grains and fruits prepared free from grease, and in as natural a condition as possible, should be the food for the tables of all who claim to be preparing for translation to heaven." {2T 352.1} [note - dedication did not get the reference correct] Did you get what she said? "as natural a condition as possible".

Green:The fact is, more than 99% of the rice consumed in South-east Asia is "white" rice. In many areas, such as where I live, brown rice is not even obtainable.

Great! Eat white rice. The study of Chinese who at a traditional diet, high in rice and low in animal protein are nearly devoid of heart disease. When they adopt the standard american diet, SAD (note SDA) they develop heart disease and cancers like their American counterparts. If others has access to brown, great! Do you do that same that you are complaining about when you diss those that eat brown rice? And no, the websites you chose to support your theory that white is better than brown have no forceful impact to many people because of all the wrong things that they promote.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Is white rice more healthful than brown rice? [Re: Green Cochoa] #167146
07/29/14 04:27 PM
07/29/14 04:27 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: EGW
Wherever fruit can be grown in abundance, a liberal supply should be prepared for winter, by canning or drying. Small fruits, such as currants, gooseberries, strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries, can be grown to advantage in many places where they are but little used and their cultivation is neglected. {MH 299.3}

Originally Posted By: Green
She DOES say that one should have a "liberal supply" of fruit. To my mind, this could easily mean that more fruit than grains should be eaten.

Green....

Green....

You just don't cease, do you? By your non-logic, then one should only eat fruit in the winter, and it should only be canned or dried. Therefore, by your mind, in some areas of the world, (perhaps where you are), fruit should never be eaten.

And by the way
Quote:
Considering that the rice-eating Japanese are among the most long-lived on earth, white rice, and not brown rice--it appears that white rice cannot be held directly responsible for higher rates of mortality.
Really, they ate white rice all along? Or by non-logic, shall we see that they eat at McDonalds, live long, and therefore everyone should eat big macs?

Re: Is white rice more healthful than brown rice? [Re: Green Cochoa] #167147
07/29/14 04:37 PM
07/29/14 04:37 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Green....

There is something inherently wrong with your reasoning and understanding processes. How one can take what is instructed and construe it in such a way, I do not know.

I do hope, I do advise you, that in your dealings with the authorities in your country, that you delegate someone besides yourself to do the direct interaction with them. If you were to pull some of the same mental stunts you try to pull on these forums, I would expect they would have little tolerance for such in their country. You can like this or not, but for the best well being of your mission, please delegate someone else to do any interactions with them.

Re: Is white rice more healthful than brown rice? [Re: APL] #167155
07/30/14 06:25 AM
07/30/14 06:25 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
APL,

According to Ellen White, you are being ridiculous. You have only proven further the fact that you read Mercola in the same manner that you read her by your recent post. Let's take a closer look.

Yeah - I read Mercola like EGW, I read all around and don't take just a sentence here and there. As a whole, I'll pass on Mercola. As for EGW, it is hard for you to accept all she says...

Here is one of your sound bites: Quote Green:"In your quote, you included the first sentence which said "Grains should represent a small part of your diet, regardless of your age." Does that suddenly mean that we should not have grains in our diet at all? You see, you and I interpret differently. "

Now, did you keep reading what Mercola said? NO. You stopped with the first sentence. Mercola goes on to say, "I personally seek to avoid most grains, except rice. " Does that fit your interpretation of what he said? Nope.

But I don't think you can support that you have read "all around" without just taking a sentence here or there. If you continue to believe she was inspired, and you continue to believe that Dr. Mercola teaches people to avoid all grains, then the resulting logic will force you to teach people, yourself included, to cease eating beans. Don't believe me? Look at the following statement.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
There are those in my family who are very fond of beans, while to me beans are poison.

Mrs. White was teaching that beans are poison, according to APL and his famous logic.

But, Mrs. White tells us that such a conclusion is not her logic.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
I cannot eat beans, for they are poison to me; but for me to say that for this reason no one must eat them would be simply ridiculous.

When Dr. Mercola said that he personally chose to avoid grains, he was not making a rule for others, any more than Mrs. White was making a rule for all to avoid beans as she did. APL chose to ignore the word "personally."

APL has chosen to be "simply ridiculous." That is his choice. If kland or others wish to defend APL in this matter, they choose to accept this same form of ridiculous reasoning.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Is white rice more healthful than brown rice? [Re: Green Cochoa] #167158
07/30/14 01:40 PM
07/30/14 01:40 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: green
Mrs. White was teaching that beans are poison, according to APL and his famous logic.
Of course, I never said that, but you can state it as fact and imply that I would say this, but then that would be a lie and the moderator of the forum would need to step in. Oh wait! YOU are for forum moderator.

***NOTE TO FORUM MODERATOR*** Note the outright lie by the forum moderator *** NOTE TO FORUM MODERATOR***

Green, did you neglect to quote the TITLE of the article on Mercola you quoted? Shall I post it again?

Grains Rob Your Brain Power - Avoid It for Clearer Thinking

Is that a personal statement of practice, or a warning to EVERYONE to avoid grains?

Like the Bible, we have the written record.

Re: Is white rice more healthful than brown rice? [Re: Green Cochoa] #167160
07/30/14 03:26 PM
07/30/14 03:26 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Green, I don't know about APL, but I do know that you outright lie about what Ellen White says.

Quote:
When Dr. Mercola said that he personally chose to avoid grains, he was not making a rule for others, any more than Mrs. White was making a rule for all to avoid beans as she did. APL chose to ignore the word "personally."
But maybe you're backpedaling now. If you are saying he was not making a rule for others, what is your purpose of this thread? Or are you saying he's not making a rule for others, but you yourself are?

Re: Is white rice more healthful than brown rice? [Re: Green Cochoa] #167170
07/31/14 05:02 AM
07/31/14 05:02 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
* * * MOD HAT ON * * *

APL and kland,

This argument is unproductive and straying from the intent of this thread, if not the topic itself. You both choose to see what you want to see. That is your privilege. As your claims are that I was lying, I feel it is right to set the matter straight. But as doing so will not be productive in such a hostile discussion, I will, for now refrain. I will also give this thread a break.

* * * MOD HAT OFF * * *

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Is white rice more healthful than brown rice? [Re: Green Cochoa] #181280
08/12/16 11:15 PM
08/12/16 11:15 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
I hope your Bible study is not like the pick-and-choose with news articles of this thread to support your own personal dietary desires, for the the truth becomes very obscure. The popular press has taken up the theme that "carbs are bad" and protein is good. And scientific studies have been published that say white rice is associated with an increase in diabetes. The "Green" title would be that white rice causes diabetes and maybe we should jail parents who feed their children white rice.

The following is from Dr. Rosane Oliveria's blog, of the University of California Davis (UC Davis) August 10, 2016.

The single most important staple food on the planet, rice currently feeds almost 50 percent of the world’s population.

Americans alone consume an average of a half-cup of cooked rice daily, more than three times of what they ate in the 1930s.

While white rice consumption is not linked to an increased risk of heart attack or stroke, it does seem to be associated with a higher incidence of diabetes.

Specifically, a meta-analysis of seven studies spanning two decades and 350,000 people showed an association between higher intake of white rice and an elevated rate of type 2 diabetes. It concluded that a single white rice serving per day could increase the risk of diabetes as much as 11 percent. It also noted that risk of developing diabetes was particularly high in Asian populations.

Japan has a higher incidence of diabetes relative to the US despite having eight times less obesity, while the Chinese diabetes rate rivals that of Americans (10 percent for China, 11 percent for the US) even though the former is seven times less obese.

Up until the year 2000, the Chinese enjoyed one of the lowest diabetes rates in the world. What has really changed in the last two decades is an increased consumption of animal-based foods.

Over the past 20 years, pork intake rose a dramatic 40 percent, oil consumption went up 20 percent and the amount of rice in the diet dropped 30 percent!

Since diabetes skyrocketed even though rice consumption decreased, this begs the question: Is the increase in diabetes linked to white rice or the rise of animal food intake?

Moreover, the dramatic uptick in diabetes incidence may also be explained by a little-known fact: combining animal protein with a refined carbohydrate like white rice sends your insulin soaring.

For example, if you feed people mashed white potatoes (a starchy, high carbohydrate food like white rice) and then add an animal protein like tuna fish to the meal, you get twice the insulin spike. Similar results are seen when you combine white flour spaghetti with meat.

Simply put, the addition of the animal protein will make the pancreas work overtime.

It is not the rice, it is the animal products. Should we jail everyone who feed their children meat? Green?

White rice has several advantages over brown rice. It is hypocritical of non-rice eaters to attempt to impose a brown-rice diet upon the rice consumers with such remarks as APL has made, and then try to use the statement about no one's diet being made a criterion for others.

Rice consumption does not lead to diabetes. Lack of exercise does. The whole world is experiencing a significant uptick in diabetes. Perhaps APL would say Mexicans get theirs from corn, as many eat no rice at all. White corn? Hardly. Brown rice consumption may, however, lead to a host of problem, including arsenicosis. Brown rice has 80% more arsenic than white rice. Arsenic can cause organ failure and death.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/487110-brown-rice-dangers/

White rice is hypoallergenic. Brown rice isn't. As toxins increase in our environment, sufferers of allergies also increase. Thankfully, white rice feeds most of the world, and they suffer fewer allergies on account of it. The average Asian eats far more green leafy vegetables than the average American, consuming them for their nutritional needs in addition to the rice for their caloric needs. Without question, Japanese "white rice eaters" have a greater longevity than Americans.

Originally Posted By: US National Library of Medicine, National Institute of Health
Abstract
The effect of brown rice with low protein intake was studied in five healthy young men. Feces were weighed, the digestibility of nutrients was determined, and blood tests were made. Each subject followed a diet consisting mainly of polished rice for 14 days and one consisting mainly of brown rice for 8 days. Both diets contained 0.5 g protein per kg of body weight. The brown rice diet had 3 times as much dietary fiber as the polished rice diet. On the brown rice diet, fecal weight increased, and apparent digestibility of energy, protein, and fat decreased, as did the absorption rates of Na, K, and P. The nitrogen balance was negative on both diets, but more negative on the brown rice diet. The phosphorus balance on the brown rice diet was significantly negative, but other minerals were not affected by the diet. The levels of cholesterol and minerals in the plasma were not significantly different on the polished rice diet and the brown rice diet. Comparing these results with data on standard protein intake (Miyoshi, H. et al (1986) J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol., 32, 581-589.), we concluded that brown rice reduced protein digestibility and nitrogen balance.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!