HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,101 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Re: Why is rejection of the SOP happening? [Re: Rick H] #169124
10/18/14 12:15 PM
10/18/14 12:15 PM
Rick H  Offline OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
So just because Conradi didn't want to accept the Health Reform, he found ways to reject the SOP and it led to a even greater impact on the church and its work in Europe. One man...much destruction of others faith and the work of the church...

Re: Why is rejection of the SOP happening? [Re: JAK] #169131
10/18/14 08:42 PM
10/18/14 08:42 PM
G
Godsloveandlaw  Offline
SDA
Supporting Member 2015
Active Member 2015

Coachella Valley, Cailf.
"The Scriptures interpret themselves."

Jak--"That is a meaningless non-answer. What does that mean?

And, if we take that for our answer, then that makes YOU the interpreter of Scripture, because we are taking what you say as authoritative. This can get messy real fast.

So, which Scripture interprets which Scripture, and on what basis and who says so?

Everybody picks and chooses which Scripture they want to believe and which they don't."

GsLL-- This subject is very very important to know and understand, for if we don't understand how Scripture is to be understood, we may fall into "private interpretation" which is denied by Scripture Itself.

"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost."(2 Peter 1:20-21)

"Affirmatively stated ALL Scripture (not merely a part of it) is inspired. Negatively stated, none of It is privately interpreted, for the reason that It did not come of men but of GOD. And It can be interpreted by men ONLY as and when God's Spirit decrees. Accordingly, every jot and title of Scripture and Its interpretation are of Inspiration, and thus wholly profitable to guide the man of God doctrinally, to reprove and to correct him, and righteously to instruct him, unto perfection of faith and works." (SC, vol. 8, no.1-12, p.2)

So we know that once men reject SOP, they are indirectly rejecting Scripture as well. For there is only ONE "Spirit of Truth"(John 16:13) that guides us. SOP, as we SDA know and believe is beautiful Truth illuminating the Bible.

We did a post that may help understand this more clearly called "Help I Can't See" Understanding Scripture

Last edited by Godsloveandlaw; 10/18/14 08:42 PM.
Re: Why is rejection of the SOP happening? [Re: JAK] #169136
10/18/14 10:30 PM
10/18/14 10:30 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Originally Posted By: JAK
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
WHO has authority to interpret Scripture?

The Scriptures interpret themselves.

That is a meaningless non-answer. What does that mean?

And, if we take that for our answer, then that makes YOU the interpreter of Scripture, because we are taking what you say as authoritative. This can get messy real fast.

So, which Scripture interprets which Scripture, and on what basis and who says so?

Everybody picks and chooses which Scripture they want to believe and which they don't.

You must read EVERYTHING the Bible says about a given subject in order to reach a right conclusion about that subject. This was Jesus' method:

Mat 4:5-7 Then the Devil took Him up into the holy city and set Him upon a pinnacle of the Temple. And he said to Him, If you are the Son of God, cast yourself down. For it is written, "He shall give His angels charge concerning You, and in their hands they shall bear You up, lest at any time You dash Your foot against a stone." Jesus said to him, It is written again, "You shall not tempt the Lord your God."

Luke 24:27 Jesus then explained everything written about Himself in the Scriptures, beginning with the Law of Moses and the Books of the Prophets

In the second place, we must be guided by the Holy Spirit:

John 16:13 When the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all the truth

Picking and choosing which Scriptures one wants to believe will only lead to destruction:

2 Peter 3:16 There are some things in them [the writings of Paul] that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures.

Re: Why is rejection of the SOP happening? [Re: Rick H] #169139
10/19/14 03:42 AM
10/19/14 03:42 AM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
As I have previously mentioned elsewhere, 2 Peter 1:20 is referring to the manner in which prophecy was given. It is NOT making a comment on how or who should interpret it.

Not that it makes any difference, because the question still remains of WHO SHOULD interpret it, all of which is pointless because I INTERPRET 2 Peter one way and you INTERPRET 2 Peter another way.

So you see that EVERYONE interprets. To say that Scripture is "not of any private interpretation" is meaninglessly stupid. It also means that each private individual must leave the interpretation of Scripture to someone else, something which we both know EGW speaks strongly against.

To say that Scripture interprets itself is equally fruitless, because my understanding of Scripture leads me to use text A to interpret text B in one way, while yours leads you to use text C to interpret text B in a totally different way.

Therefore, the argument that 2 Peter prohibits private interpretation fails on itself.

"All that is Gold does not Glitter, Not all who Wander are Lost." (J.R.R.T.)
Re: Why is rejection of the SOP happening? [Re: JAK] #169737
11/09/14 10:19 PM
11/09/14 10:19 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
I see no one is willing to tackle this issue, and I suspect that the reason is that, if you really believed that Scripture is not of any "private interpretation", you would also have to give up participation on this forum, because EVERYBODY HERE is interpreting Scripture.

(Which is a GOOD thing.)

Last edited by JAK; 11/09/14 10:20 PM.

Re: Why is rejection of the SOP happening? [Re: JAK] #169797
11/12/14 10:25 AM
11/12/14 10:25 AM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
I see no one is willing to tackle this issue, and I suspect that the reason is that, if you really believed that Scripture is not of any "private interpretation", you would also have to give up participation on this forum, because EVERYBODY HERE is interpreting Scripture.

(Which is a GOOD thing.)

I don't believe it is a GOOD thing. Each one of us should be on guard that we do often interpret scriptures with our own understanding and without personal revelation from above. Even when comparing scriptures with scriptures are subjected to our own understanding and interpretation. On top of that, we often give a blind eye to the scriptures that contradict or challenge our interpretation.

We can speculate on an interpretation, however we shouldn't be calling it truth. It needs to be pondered upon and a thorough study should be conducted on a subject.

Nor should we, even upon personal revelations from above, want or encourage anyone else to swallow our interpretation without themselves having plenty of time to chew on the matter and receive their own personal revelation before swallowing any interpretation or “truth”.

This is based on the fundamental principle found in Lev 11 and that we all should be taught by the Holy Spirit personally (1Jn 2:27) and never by man. "But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him."

Teachings of man can comes from yourself or others or past teachings our church or our society has adopted. My understanding of this is we can read others thoughts or hear a brother share what Jesus may of taught him and etc…. Hearing from others is important for the Lord gives revelation not only to one, but to many members in the body that needs to be shared to one another. But whatever thoughts(or interpretation) you may have, or whoever you hear it from, or read, or even reading the pure word of God -- all needs to be chewed upon over time with the leading of the Holy Spirit and the Lord needs to established the matter by two witnesses. This is based on the law of unclean and clean spiritual foods found in Lev 11.

Lev 11: Law of Unclean and Clean Spiritual Foods

It is ironic that this discussion started with the supposition that the rejection of SOP for many is based on not following the health reform when we SDAs do not even understand the basic law of unclean and clean spiritual food found in Lev 11.

Paul says "the law is spiritual: but I am carnal" (Rom 7:14).

Lev 11 is not about what PHYSICAL foods to eat or not to eat, but about SPIRITUAL foods. For sure we have health benefits from reframing from unclean "flesh" and even more from abstaining from all flesh foods altogether. However, this law really talks and teaches us about what clean spiritual foods a child of God should eat and how to avoid the unclean spiritual foods and not swallow it for it defiles us. Swallowing unclean spiritual foods has a more serious effect on our life than eating pork. Actually, many of us are spiritual "pigs" or "chamels" by the way we eat our spiritual foods. I know I often am for I'm not always patient enough to wait for two witnesses or give it the meditation time.

Lev 11:3 says animals that chew their cuds(meditate) and stand on separate split hoofs(with two witnesses the matter are establish); these are the spiritual foods that are clean and we can swallow(accept).

As mentioned above, if you swallow food(even the pure word of God) without chewing it thoroughly (meditate upon it) or having it stand on two witnesses coming from the Lord; then it is unclean and you are defiled in the sight of the Lord.

In application, you can hear someone's study or read a book -- that is fine; but whatever is read or heard from man has to go through an extensive process of chewing and waiting on the Lord to establish the teaching with 2 witnesses. That's only when you can swallow it.

The fact the food was chewed (meditated with the guidance of the Holy Spirit) and stands of 2 separate witnesses(hoofs) from the Lord is what makes the food pure teachings(or interpretation) from the Lord and not from men. When you are taught by the Holy Spirit in this ways, that's when you become the living word of God yourself and are crumbling bread in the Lord’s hands that He can feed others with.

There's more that can be expounded on Lev 11 that teaches us how we can differentiate clean or unclean spiritual foods. But the above is the main one.

Heart Idols distorts the Word of God

A word of caution is given in Ezk 14:1-10. The Lord tells us if you come to him for answers (an interpretation or searching truth or for directions) with heart idols, "I the LORD will answer him that cometh according to the multitude of his idols;" (Ezk 14:4). Meaning, he will feed your heart idols and everything you read or see, it will support your heart idols. We all have heart idols. Ezekiel shows that heart idols are teachings of men. Some we are aware of, others we are not. There's many things we think is truth but it never have been established by the Lord or was not really meditated upon long enough, nor was it studied in a thorough Bible study on the subject. So the key here, is to put everything aside and come to the Lord with nothing with open ears to hear what He has to say. What He says may contradict your pre-conceive ideas. It often does. Also, many of our interpretations or views needs refinements.

Heart idols will twist everything the Lord says: from His word in scriptures, His voice to you, or even mis-interpretating potential signs-witness He has given to you.

Interpretation will be according to the LAW

Besides those two principles above, another one is that the Holy Spirit will not teach anything (interpretation or revelation) against the Law of God(Is 8:20, Deut 13:1-5, Deut 18:15-22, Acts 17:11). AV Isa 8:20 "To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, [it is] because [there is] no light in them." Meaning, the law is the Lord's righteous character defined with His ways and His plan of salvation put on paper. This is what the Lord is fulfilling today, in the future or in the past. The spiritual aspect of the law is what the Holy Spirit is teaching everyone and aims to write on each of our heart tablets once it is learned.

Blessings
Re: Why is rejection of the SOP happening? [Re: Elle] #169809
11/12/14 07:57 PM
11/12/14 07:57 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
Originally Posted By: Elle
I don't believe it is a GOOD thing.

Quote:
Nor should we, even upon personal revelations from above, want or encourage anyone else to swallow our interpretation without themselves having plenty of time to chew on the matter and receive their own personal revelation before swallowing any interpretation or “truth”.

So even though you think you disagree with me you are actually agreeing, since you think people should "receive their own personal revelation" before they agree with what you say.

Quote:
This is based on the fundamental principle found in Lev 11

Quote:

It is ironic that this discussion started with the supposition that the rejection of SOP for many is based on not following the health reform when we SDAs do not even understand the basic law of unclean and clean spiritual food found in Lev 11.

That's because there is NO SUCH LAW. I have rarely read such unsupported hog-wash. (I'd use a different word than hogwash but Daryl will censor it.) Creative, but absolute BS.

Quote:
...Meaning, he will feed your heart idols and everything you read or see,(etc.)...

Quote:
...Meaning, the law is the Lord's righteous character (etc.)...

Quote:
This is what the Lord is fulfilling today,...

Quote:
The spiritual aspect of the law is...

So now four times you have engaged in exactly what you (and others, to be fair) said one should not do, namely interpret Scripture.

Nor have you (or anyone else, to be fair again) answered the question of just who SHOULD interpret Scripture, if we are not allowed to come to our own conclusions.

Re: Why is rejection of the SOP happening? [Re: JAK] #169810
11/12/14 10:32 PM
11/12/14 10:32 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Elle
I don't believe it is a GOOD thing.

Quote:

So even though you think you disagree with me you are actually agreeing, since you think people should "receive their own personal revelation" before they agree with what you say.

Oh, are we agreeing? That’s great.

But really, the goal is not to agree with one another but to come in agreement with the Lord’s interpretation. Then this is the way we will be in agreement among each other.

Often we think we are in agreement with Him when in reality we differ quite widely. So how is the Lord going to teach us the truth if we are set in our pre-conceived ideas and seek comfort in others that have the same?

Teaching someone that think they already know and that cannot hear become a real big problem for the Lord to teach us His interpretation of scriptures. When an individual learns to hear the Lord’s voice and has learned to put all pre-conceived ideas aside when asking question -- only those can be taught by the Lord and receive the proper correction of their erronous interpretation or views that we often need.

Quote:
This is based on the fundamental principle found in Lev 11

Quote:

That's because there is NO SUCH LAW. I have rarely read such unsupported hog-wash. (I'd use a different word than hogwash but Daryl will censor it.) Creative, but absolute BS.

I can only shared with you what I came to understand. I can be full of prunes or it may be truth or somewhere in between. The only way to know is to enquire with the Lord yourself. He is the only one that knows.

Dismissing something without verifying in scriptures and asking the Lord His opinion is fine for now and it has its place too. There's a time for everything and it could be not your time to learn this or that.

Quote:
...Meaning, he will feed your heart idols and everything you read or see,(etc.)...

Quote:
...Meaning, the law is the Lord's righteous character (etc.)...

Quote:
This is what the Lord is fulfilling today,...

Quote:
The spiritual aspect of the law is...

So now four times you have engaged in exactly what you (and others, to be fair) said one should not do, namely interpret Scripture.

These I have chewed on for years and I have received my two witnesses from above on these to confirm these are true. I do know from experience the Lord confirms His word to us personally. But that’s my personal revelation. It is not yours and it cannot be yours by just taking my word for it. It is something that all must experience to know.

Again, I can be full of prunes or it can be the correct interpretation. Only the Holy Spirit knows the truth and can teach someone the correct interpretation.

Tell me Jak how can someone be taught by the Holy Spirit? How can someone know if the voice they hear is the Holy Spirit or just your own thoughts? Lastly, how and where do you get your interpretation of scriptures?

I cannot see any other way for someone to know the voice of the Lord apart from our own voice then by receiving a double witness to confirm His word personally spoken to us with an event or whatever else He will brings in our life that confirms without any doubts that it was Him that spoke.

The principle of double witness is all over the Bible and applied in different various things.

Nor have you (or anyone else, to be fair again) answered the question of just who SHOULD interpret Scripture, if we are not allowed to come to our own conclusions.

I could be wrong but it appears to me that you are not really looking for any answer or you already had one to start with.

Blessings
Re: Why is rejection of the SOP happening? [Re: Elle] #169824
11/13/14 04:30 PM
11/13/14 04:30 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
A) We're way off topic. But since no one else is on this thread it doesn't really matter.

B) You have no idea what you are talking about, or what you are actually saying. You seem quite comfortable contradicting yourself repeatedly. This leads directly to "I have no idea what your position is or what you are trying to say."

C) You don't see the irony of a whole forum set up to debate and discuss Scripture, all the while claiming that Scripture is not of any "private interpretation"?

dunno dunno

Re: Why is rejection of the SOP happening? [Re: JAK] #169841
11/13/14 11:09 PM
11/13/14 11:09 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
A) We're way off topic. But since no one else is on this thread it doesn't really matter.

B) You have no idea what you are talking about, or what you are actually saying. You seem quite comfortable contradicting yourself repeatedly. This leads directly to "I have no idea what your position is or what you are trying to say."

C) You don't see the irony of a whole forum set up to debate and discuss Scripture, all the while claiming that Scripture is not of any "private interpretation"?

I'm trying to understand you. I would like to get to the bottom of this challenge you laid out.

I agree with Rosangela and another commenter that said any interpretation should comes from the Holy Spirit. Since I agree that's why I quoted 1Jn 2:27. I don't know if you agree with this or not, but I believe this is SDAs understanding and also most Christians. However this is often a cliche and the how to put this in application is where it gets gray.

So in an attempt to shed some light, I have brought out how to put this in application with 1) the double witness principle, 2) setting aside the heart idols 3) testing interpretation against the law(Is 8:20). You disagreed with this and saying it was my interpretation of some scriptures.

So the 3 questions I ask you in my previous post is a tentative to know what you understand. If you don't understand any of the questions, do let me know.

1. Tell me Jak how can someone be taught by the Holy Spirit? (1Jn 2:27)

2. How can someone know if the voice they hear is the Holy Spirit or just your own thoughts?

3. Lastly, how and where do you get your interpretation of scriptures?

Blessings
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!