HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,593
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, dedication, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
LEST WE FORGET #171383
01/18/15 04:52 AM
01/18/15 04:52 AM
dedication  Online Content OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
"In reviewing our past history, having traveled over every step of advance to our present standing, I can say, Praise God! As I see what God has wrought, I am filled with astonishment, and with confidence in Christ as leader. We have nothing to fear for the future, except as we shall forget the way the Lord has led us, and His teaching in our past history." {CET 204.1}

Re: LEST WE FORGET [Re: dedication] #171385
01/18/15 05:57 AM
01/18/15 05:57 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
The Adventist Pioneers, spent hours in prayer and Bible study, seeking truth. They wanted to know the truth as it was revealed in scripture.

Ellen White writes of the experience:
Quote:
"At our important meetings these men would meet together and search for the truth as for hidden treasure. {TDG 317.2}
I met with them, and we studied and prayed earnestly, for we felt that we must learn God's truth. Often we remained together until late at night, and sometimes through the entire night, praying for light, and studying the Word. As we fasted and prayed, great power came upon us. But I could not understand the reasoning of the brethren. My mind was locked, as it were, and I could not comprehend what we were studying. Then the Spirit of God would come upon me, I would be taken off in vision, and a clear explanation of the passages we had been studying would be given me, with instruction as to the position we were to take regarding truth and duty. {TDG 317.3}
A line of truth extending from that time to the time when we shall enter the city of God, was plainly marked out before me, and I gave my brethren and sisters the instruction that the Lord had given me. They knew that, when not in vision, I could not understand these matters, and they accepted as light direct from Heaven the revelations given me. The leading points of our faith as we hold them today were firmly established. Point after point was clearly defined, and all the brethren came into harmony. {TDG 317.4 and 3MR 413 }

If we are to regain the vision of out pioneers we must regain what it was that motivated them to give so much of their time and money to the cause?

First -- do we actually believe the Adventist view of truth and of interpretation of prophetic world events is really REALITY?

One of the foundational blocks to how we view the prophetic message revealed in scripture is the historicist method of interpreting prophecy.

The whole Adventist understanding of future events is a direct outgrowth of the historicist method of interpretation.
Historicism is the view that the prophecies of Daniel and Revelation describes history as it has been unfolding from the time of the prophet to the time of eternal restoration.

We can go back further and realize that the power of the Reformation was based largely on the historicist method of prophetic teaching. Though now most Protestants find it rather embarrassing and would just as soon forget about that fact, it is still fact that the reformers came to a unanimous decision that scripture pointed to the papacy as the main antichrist. And this conviction enabled them to make the break with the church that controlled the people -- they were able to courageously stand up for what they found in scripture.

It was the historicist method of interpreting scripture that brought religious freedom from the papal tyranny.

It was the historicist method of interpreting prophecy that enabled William Miller and his associates to realize the "time of the end" was near, and the hour of God's judgement was at hand.

It enabled Adventist Pioneers to grasp the meaning of the three angel's messages. It enabled the Midnight Cry -- the "light behind" us.

BUT
In our day

1) The historicist method is almost wholly replaced by the futurist and preterits counterreformation methods of prophetic interpretation in the Christian world.

During the Reformation the Papal church realized they needed to divert the prophetic finger that was pointing at them as the antichrist (in the place of Christ).
So two other ways of interpreting prophecy were presented,
one placing most of the prophetic utterances in the past, the other placing them in the future. Both managing to divert these prophecies away from the Christian era.

The first systematic preterist exposition of prophecy was written by the Jesuit Luis de Alcasar during the Counter Reformation. Daniel is interpreted as events that happened in the second century BC, while Revelation is interpreted as events that happened in the first century AD. Preterism holds that Ancient Israel finds its continuation or fulfillment in the Christian church at the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70

The Futurist exposition was put together by Roman Catholic Jesuit Francisco Ribera (1537–1591) Futurism, as it pertains to Biblical prophecy, is the theory that most of the events of Revelation, and the 70th week of Daniel 9, are to be fulfilled sometime in the future.

2) The religious movements are working for unity-- and the papacy is encouraging them all to return under his "shepherding" influence

3) Even some Adventists tend to be trying to change much of the historical interpretations and put them in the future. But can one mix historicist method of interpretation with futurist method by taking the foundation stones out and placing them on the roof without the building toppling?

Re: LEST WE FORGET [Re: dedication] #171386
01/18/15 07:07 AM
01/18/15 07:07 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
These three methods of interpreting prophecy have been in conflict for many years now.. No combination has ever been successful.

Some might say, let's accept what historicists say happened during the Christian era, then take what the futurist say will happen in the future.

The problem is that both use the SAME PROPHECIES, but put very different meanings to them. It ends up saying a figure is symbolic in one place and literal in another, or representing one thing in the historicist interpretation, and another thing in the future application. This creates a confusion. Like saying the 1260 years are symbolic in one verse but literal in another. Everything becomes rather arbitrary and open to a multitude of interpretations.

The Bible is very detailed in giving a historical picture of God's dealings with His people.

OLD TESTAMENT
The Old Testament tells the history of God's dealings and purposes, and the people's response covering the history from Creation to about 400 B.C. True, it is also full of prophecies of Christ's first coming, (as well as pointing to endtimes)
However the point is that the Old Testament is very much a revelation of how God worked with His people from creation to about 400 BC.

NEW TESTAMENT:
Again we see a very detailed revelation of the history of God's purposes, and dealings with the human race, from about 4 BC until about 90 A.D. Four books deal with the history of Jesus life on earth, while the fifth is the history of the early spread of Christianity.

Are we to think that during the next 1920+ years, -- 90 AD to our time, God was not interested in speaking to His people about events over that time span?

John wrote the book of Revelation at the end of the first century, around 96 AD. And his visions cover the Christian era. That is the historicist interpretation.

We look at Daniel (the companion book of Revelation)
How is the unfolding of the future presented to Daniel?
Is it a progressive view all through his book, or is it a repetitious view, going over the same period of time with different emphases each time?

Daniel 2 (Time covered from Babylon to Christ's coming)
Daniel 7 (Time covered from Babylon to final inheritance)
Daniel 8 (time covered from Media Persia to Judgment)
Daniel 11 (time covered from Media Persia to Deliverance of God's people.

Revelation does the same thing, it is a repetitious presentation of the unfolding of the Christian era.

Rev. 2-3 (Time covered is the whole Christian era)
Rev. 4-7 (Time from Christ's ascension and His sacrifice declared worthy for Him to begin the work as our High Priest and Mediator -- to the final sealing of God's people and the second coming)

Rev. 8-11 (Time covered from the fall of Jerusalem, to the fall of all earthly kingdoms.
With the story of the "deadly wound" of the Papacy, the rise of secularism, AND the rise of the last day church placed between the 6th and 7th trumpet.

Rev. 12 shows the Great Controversy showing Satan's work in opposing Christ and His church
(Deals mainly with time from Christ's birth -Satan's attempt to destroy Christ -- Satan's attempt to destroy the church during the 1260 years of tribulation, -- to the time of the end when satan makes his last great attempt to destroy God's people)

From here on (still with references to the origin of the powers used) the last conflict is being dealt with.

The historicist method of interpretation builds a foundation upon which the yet future events rest. It alerts us to the powers that play important roles in the last conflict.

The futurist view takes away this foundation and inserts a gap into the lineup of prophetic symbols.
Thus it leaves open to the imagination who those powers will be?

It was the historicist interpretations of prophecy upon which our beliefs were built.

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 10:58 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!