HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,186 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? [Re: Rosangela] #171487
01/24/15 09:22 PM
01/24/15 09:22 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
First, autumn new moon crescents take longer to be spotted than spring new moon crescents, but this was a spring new moon.

Second, I don't know what the expression "3.5 days" means, as it should have been expressed in terms of hours, not of days, but certainly a lunar month won't start at the fourth sunset after conjunction. In the book The Chronology of Ezra 7, pages 154-155, Horn and Wood say:

In the Near East it takes 16.5 to 42 hours after conjunction _ depending on whether her movements in relation to her distance from the earth are fast or slow _ before the moon becomes visible again in the form of a thin crescent, waxing larger and larger until the time of full moon.

Third, a month was the twenty-nine or thirty days between the first appearance of a crescent moon at sunset and the first appearance of the next crescent moon. In a year, about half of the months had 29 and half of them had 30 days. A month couldn't have 28 or 31 days. The preceding month had started on March 13/14, sunset to sunset. Using all the thirty days possible in a month, we arrive at April 12/13, sunset to sunset.

I agree with Rosangela post above and also her statement that 31 AD is impossible for Nisan 14th to fall on Friday. However, I do not agree with her that Christ died on Nisan 15th. To me that's totally ludicrous. The main argument she has is based on the "Passover" meal that Jesus partook with the disciples.

The Chagigah offering & Meal

There was also "preperation" or "cleansing" offerings that took place before any of the 3 feasts(Passover, Pentecost, and Tabernacles). These were peace offerings and were known as the Chagigah which literally means a “festival offering” . A third went to the Lord, a third to the priest, and a third to the one that made the peace offering. The offerer had to eat it in a rejoicing festive manner with friends & family and all needed to be eaten by the 3rd day and burn the remaining.(Lev 4 and Lev 7) Whereas the Passover needed to be eaten at night (after sunset --the beginning of Nisan 15th) and finished before the next morning. So they only had 12 hours max to eat the passover during the night hours.

The chagigah could be a bull whereas the passover could not and had to be a lamb. The Chagigah provided meat for a longer period of time(up to the 3rd day) during the festive time. People started offering their peace offering(chagigah) up to 3 days prior or lesser to a feast as this was a time to prepare their heart before the actual feast. The same way we prepare ourself before we come to communion.

Dt 16:2 refers to this Thou shalt therefore sacrifice the passover unto the LORD thy God, of the flock(tso'n, sheep) and the herd(baqar, cattle), in the place which the LORD shall choose to place his name there. A cattle couldn't be used for the Passover, however it could be used for the Chagigah(peace offerings) that was brought and eaten with their family and friend.

Since the Jews cannot bring their offerings & sacrifices to the temple since 70 AD, they now observe these feasts with symbolism only. Today the Chagigah is represented by a boiled egg while the passover with a bone. The Chagigah is still recognized and remembered today in their feasts days.

I believe Jesus ate the Chagigah with His disciples friends to accomplish that portion of the law. It was refered to as a Passover in a generic way, like the 7 days of unleavened bread was also refered as the Passover and like Deut 16:2 refers to the "cattle" to be the Passover sacrifice(of the Chagigah) because the term was used in a general way to encapsulate all the feasts that happened that time. And the term Passover was also used specifically to refer to the actual lamb sacrifice on Nisan 14th and the meal eaten on that night.

So interpretating that Jesus ate the Passover sacrifice on the night after the 14th and died on the 15th are erronous and conflicts with fulfilling the passover on the appointed time and suggest that He broke the law of eating the passover by going outside to sing hyms with His disciples afterward by which was forbidden to do by the law.

Originally Posted By: APL
I found the following SDA commentators which discuss the day of Pentecost, and calculated astronomical data.
http://biblelight.net/pentecost.htm
http://clearbibleanswers.org/ad-31-and-the-friday-crucifixion.html

Tx APL for providing the links. I do see lots of errors in those including the death of Herod saying it was 4BC(should be 2BC) and the fifteenth year of Tiberius Caesar being AD 27(should be 29 AD). That would take another discussion to look at the scriptures, early writings, and astronmical data. It is very important to do so to know the truth.

Interpretation of the 2 Sabbath words in Lev 23:15

Regarding the interpretation of the two words "Sabbath" in Lev 23:15, I don't believe it can be proven with scriptures. Something only the Holy Spirit can reveal to a person. I was not reveal this interpretation personally, so from what I understand and deduce from other 8th day laws:

-circumcision(7 days + 1day = 8th day),
-dedication of the priests(7 days + 1day= 8th day),
-Pentecost(7 x 7days + 1 day= 50th day but based on 8th day pattern),
-Feast of Tabernacle(7 days + 1 day = 8th day),
-Jubilee (7x7yrs + 1yrs= 50th year but 8th year pattern),

....I side with the Sadducees' interpretation that both Sabbaths refers to the 7 day Sabbath making the Pentecost always falling on a 8th day(Sunday).

Regardless whether the Sadducees or the Pharisees interpretation is correct; what I think is important is our belief of the actual fulfillment of these Types. Do we believe that the Lord fufilled the Types of the killing of the Passover, the waving sheaf, and the Pentecost on appointed time to the day? Did Jesus ressurect on a Sunday and thus having Pentecost occured on a Sunday too? Or do we believe it doesn't matter and can fall on any day.

These fulfillment(passover, Pentecost) on the appointed time-day are not possible on the year 31 AD but it is on the year 33 AD. Also 33AD aligns with the astrologicals events that points to Herod's death, the appearing of the star at Bethlehem, and the lunar eclipse that happened during Jesus death. These astrological events are not present for a 31AD date.

Anyway, a Nisan 14 on a Friday is impossible in A.D. 31, and sooner or later the SDABC will have to deal with that.

To go around this by saying Jesus died on Nisan 15th doesn't work either. Sooner or later more than the SDABC will have to deal with that as the whole 31 AD date is erronous by which then offsets all other dates we have set including 1844. It is a real denominational catastrophy.

It's too bad the leaders kept on treating the words of Ellen White as infallible. This is something Ellen White and James was opposed to and always pointed us to scriptures saying more revelation was to come. As a Church we could of grown in the truth by testing all things without being afraid to throw away found errors. It isn't too late to start doing that now.

Blessings
Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? [Re: APL] #171492
01/25/15 01:13 AM
01/25/15 01:13 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
There was also "preperation" or "cleansing" offerings that took place before any of the 3 feasts(Passover, Pentecost, and Tabernacles). These were peace offerings and were known as the Chagigah which literally means a “festival offering” . A third went to the Lord, a third to the priest, and a third to the one that made the peace offering. The offerer had to eat it in a rejoicing festive manner with friends & family and all needed to be eaten by the 3rd day and burn the remaining.(Lev 4 and Lev 7) Whereas the Passover needed to be eaten at night (after sunset --the beginning of Nisan 15th) and finished before the next morning. So they only had 12 hours max to eat the passover during the night hours.

Elle, I disagree with your argument for a number of reasons.
First, a chagigah was eaten during the feasts, not before them.

Second, the three Synoptics say that the disciples prepared the meal for Jesus on the first day of Unleavened Bread (Matt. 26:17, Mark 14:12. Luke 22:7), which could apply to Nisan 14 but, obviously, not to Nisan 13.

Third, Luke says: “And he said to them, ‘I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you I will not eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God’ (Luke 22:15, 16). What is ludicrous is to think that Jesus is referring to the Chagigah with these words, and not to the Seder (the Passover meal), and that Jesus instituted a ceremony so important as to symbolize His blood and His flesh given for us at a Chagigah and not at a Seder.

Fourth, Calvary is the antitype of all the sacrifices of the OT. As such, it fulfilled the sacrificial aspect of all of them, not only of the Passover. And Christ died at the hour of the evening sacrifice.

Fifth, As Geldenhuys says,
The slaughtering of the lambs was indeed not the most important part of the Passover, but merely preparatory; it was the paschal repast itself that was of most importance. Why then was it necessary that Jesus, in order to be the true Paschal Lamb, should die just at the very hour when the paschal lambs were slaughtered, and should already be in His grave when the paschal repast commenced?
No, it was far more fitting that, when the paschal lambs were eaten, Jesus Himself as also Lord of the Passover (as He is Lord of the Sabbath) should be present at the paschal repast and should by the institution of the Holy Communion represent Himself as the Sacrificial Lamb of God who in a spiritual sense gives His flesh and blood to us, and should then, after having thus instituted the sing and seal of the New Dispensation, enter upon the way of suffering in order to complete everything.

Quote:
So interpretating that Jesus ate the Passover sacrifice on the night after the 14th and died on the 15th are erronous and conflicts with fulfilling the passover on the appointed time and suggest that He broke the law of eating the passover by going outside to sing hyms with His disciples afterward by which was forbidden to do by the law.

Sorry, this argument is not valid. After the Passover lamb was eaten, singing hymns and going outside were, obviously, not forbidden by law.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? [Re: Rosangela] #171505
01/25/15 08:44 PM
01/25/15 08:44 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Tx for your time to reply.
Originally Posted By: Elle

Elle, I disagree with your argument for a number of reasons.
First, a chagigah was eaten during the feasts, not before it.

Not entirely true.

-First the word chagigah can also be employed as a generic or broad way as well as specifically to mean the peace offering. Plus the traditional way to keep the peace offering(chagigah) versus what the Lord showed them (at the beginning when they occupied the land) appears to be lost and disputed amongst the Jewish scholars like it is with other passages like it is with Lev 23:15 concerning when is Pentecost.

-We know that the people got to Jerusalem a few days prior to the feasts for cleansing rituals.( 2Ch 30:18 & John 11:55 “And the Jews' passover was nigh at hand: and many went out of the country up to Jerusalem before the passover, to purify themselves.” )

-The law does not say specifically when the peace offering was offered. It only says to bring your peace offerings to the 3 feasts times. So this leaves it wide open for private interpretation.

-Also, the peace offering was optional.

-A few scholars including Bullinger, experts on understanding the laws, says is was done prior to the feasts. Bullinger states that the last supper was "not the eating of the Lamb, but the Chagigah or feast which preceded it . . ." (p. 1500).

-Many others says there were 2 chigigahs offerings on the Passover season, one on Nissan 14 the other on Nissan 15.

My conclusion : I think it could also be both times (before or during the feasts) can be correct as the law leaves it very open.

The main point here is that there were other festive meals that were partaken at or just before the Passover season besides the Paschal lamb. This leave open to the possibility that the Last supper may have been a Chagigah type of meal. I don't think this can be proven. But for sure we can prove that it was not a Passover meal as shown by the synopsis of John below.

Second, the three Synoptics say that the disciples prepared the meal for Jesus on the first day of Unleavened Bread (Matt. 26:17, Mark 14:12. Luke 22:7), which could apply to Nisan 14 but, obviously, not to Nisan 13.

I believe Matthew, Mark, and Luke was referring to the night of Nisan 13th when Nisan 14th began at sunset. The preparation day of the Passover (or Unleavened Bread) season started from sunset(Thursday night) and terminated Sunset(Friday Night) of Nisan 14. It was on Nisan 14(preperation day of passover) that the lamb was killed. Preperation day(Nisan 14) was not a ceremonial Sabbath day and that's why the leaders were able to conduct tribunal affairs. After that Sunset(Friday night when Nisan 15 begins) that's when everyone ate their passover meal.

So Thursday night at the beginning of Nisan 14th was “the first day of unleavened bread” SEASON which started with the passover preperation day “on which the Passover lamb had to be sacrificed. “ Luke 22:7 “when it was customary to sacrifice the Passover lamb” (Mark 14:12) So the disciple ask Jesus "Where do you want us to make preparations for you to eat the Passover?"(Mat 26:17). That evening the Pascal lamb was still not killed yet, nor was it the time for it as for it was just the beginning of the preparation day(Thursday night after sunset). Preparation day started by removing all the leaven in the house, preparing the eating area and the lamb was to be killed the next day on Nisan 14th between the two evenings. So while they started to make preparation for the Passover meal, they had the last supper together. But this was not the passover meal.

This goes in harmony with the account of the gospel of John that refer to the last supper by saying it was “before the feast of the Passover”(John 13:1)-- meaning that meal when Judas betrayed Jesus occur before the evening of the 14th-15th when is the time to eat the passover meal.

Before Judas took off, and the disciple was trying to figure out what Jesus meant with His words toward Judas and thought that because Judas had the money bag Jesus was instructing him to "Buy those things we need for the Feast,"(Jn 13:29). This text points that they had not finish the preparation of the Passover during that meal.

After that last supper, on that same night that's when Jesus was seized by the Jewish leaders and brought to be judged. When the early morning came JOHN 18:28 says “Then they led Jesus from Caiaphas to the Praetorium, and it was early morning. But they themselves did not go into the Praetorium, lest they should be defiled, but that they mighteat the Passover. (NKJV)” (see also Luke 18:28) These texts shows that the leaders had not eaten the Passover yet either by early morning.

The following 3 texts all show that it was still Passover preparation day(Nissan 14th) when Jesus died and yet no one had eaten the Passover yet.

-JOHN 19:14 Now it was the Preparation Day of the Passover, and about the sixth hour. And he[Pilate] said to the Jews, "Behold your King!" (NKJV)

-JOHN 19:31 Therefore, because it was the Preparation Day, that the bodies should not remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a high day), the Jews asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away. (NKJV)

-JOHN 19:42 So there they laid Jesus, because of the Jews' Preparation Day, for the tomb was nearby. (NKJV)

To me all these texts is clear that the last supper, the betrayal, the tribunal, the crucifixion, the death of Jesus, and it’s burial ….all happened in this order starting from the evening of Nisan 13th-14th up to Nisan 14th-15th.

Third, Luke says: “And he said to them, ‘I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you I will not eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God’ (Luke 22:15, 16). What is ludicrous is to think that Jesus is referring to the Chagigah with these words, and not to the Seder (the Passover meal), and that Jesus instituted a ceremony so important as to symbolize His blood and His flesh given for us at a Chagigah and not at a Seder.

Different translation can give different spin to a text. Many had translated Luke 22:15,16 to say Jesus was telling them that he desired but He won’t be eating of the coming Passover with them until the Kingdom is fulfilled. Here’s a few translation : (Note that “(coming)” before Passover is my addition because see John Synopsis above) “

American Standard Version
And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this (coming) passover with you before I suffer: for I say unto you, I shall not eat it, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
And he said to them, “I have greatly desired to eat this (coming) Passover with you before I suffer. For I say to you, from now on, I shall not eat it until it shall be fulfilled in the Kingdom of God.”

English Revised Version
And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this (coming) passover with you before I suffer: for I say unto you, I will not eat it, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God. Etc…

Quote:
Fourth, Calvary is the antitype of all the sacrifices of the OT. As such, it fulfilled the sacrificial aspect of all of them, not only of the Passover. And Christ died at the hour of the evening sacrifice.

Concerning the first part, the Paschal sacrifice was the only sacrifice made into a feast that represented our Justification which focused on the death work of Christ by spilling His blood for us which is the foundation of all other rituals that represents other aspects of our salvation process including our sanctification and cleansing. Without the death of Jesus, all other sacrifices and rituals losses its foundation and losses there meaning. I do not see that the Feast of unleavened bread is capable of being that foundation. The unleavenened bread is not in the Day of atonement or in the cleansing rituals with the two doves(Lev 14) and other sacrificial rituals.

Concerning the second part, I don’t understand your argument with the timing of “the evening sacrifice”. Jesus was crucified(put on the cross) on the 3rd hour(9AM), but He died on the 9th hours(3PM)(Mk 15:25,34; Mat 27:46;). According to the Law the Paschal lamb was to be sacrificed between the two evenings(after Noon and before Sunset(5PM)). Jesus died right at the middle at 3PM. What’s interesting they couldn’t make any sacrifices between noon(6th hour) and 3PM(9th hour) for Mathew 27:45 and Luke 23:44 tells us “darkness came over the entire land”. And then at 3PM, the curtain of the temple ripped. So I’m sure there was lots of panic to do all the necessary lamb slaughtering (according to Josephus around 250,000) with the remaining 2 hours left. So yes Jesus death coincided with the time of the evening sacrifice and fulfilled also the timing of the Paschal lamb. I don’t see your last point.

Quote:
Fifth, As Geldenhuys says,
The slaughtering of the lambs was indeed not the most important part of the Passover, but merely preparatory; it was the paschal repast itself that was of most importance. Why then was it necessary that Jesus, in order to be the true Paschal Lamb, should die just at the very hour when the paschal lambs were slaughtered, and should already be in His grave when the paschal repast commenced?
No, it was far more fitting that, when the paschal lambs were eaten, Jesus Himself as also Lord of the Passover (as He is Lord of the Sabbath) should be present at the paschal repast and should by the institution of the Holy Communion represent Himself as the Sacrificial Lamb of God who in a spiritual sense gives His flesh and blood to us, and should then, after having thus instituted the sing and seal of the New Dispensation, enter upon the way of suffering in order to complete everything.

This reasoning is severely in conflicts with many scriptures that I have given just a few above but there’s more. Who is this Geldenhuys guy(or gal)? I tried to find him and this quote but none came up on the internet. Is he an SDA pastor trying to work around the 31AD problem?

Sorry, this argument is not valid. After the Passover lamb was eaten, singing hymns and going outside are, obviously, not forbidden by law.

Maybe the Rabbinic traditions that often made void the laws of God, didn’t observed this, but it was instructed by the Lord :

Exodus 12:22 And you shall take a bunch of hyssop and dip it in the blood which is in the basin, and apply some of the blood that is in the basin to the lintel and the two doorposts; and none of you shall go outside the door of his house until morning.

The last supper was NOT the Passover meal which is clear especially with the synopsis of John; but let us suppose it was, I believe Jesus would of not gone outside till morning to fulfill the law.

Blessings
Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? [Re: APL] #171515
01/27/15 01:52 AM
01/27/15 01:52 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
The law does not say specifically when the peace offering was offered. It only says to bring your peace offerings to the 3 feasts times. So this leaves it wide open for private interpretation.

I disagree. The law gives clear instruction about it:
Deu 16:1 "Observe the month of Abib and keep the Passover to the LORD your God, for in the month of Abib the LORD your God brought you out of Egypt by night.
Deu 16:2 And you shall offer the Passover sacrifice to the LORD your God, from the flock or the herd, [the “herd” cannot reffer to the sacrifice offered on the 14th, so it refers to the other sacrifices offered during the Passover week] at the place that the LORD will choose, to make his name dwell there.
Deu 16:3 You shall eat no leavened bread with it. [“It” here can only refer to “the Passover sacrifice” mentioned in the previous verse, “from the flock or from the herd”] Seven days you shall eat it with unleavened bread, the bread of affliction--for you came out of the land of Egypt in haste--that all the days of your life you may remember the day when you came out of the land of Egypt.
Deu 16:4 No leaven shall be seen with you in all your territory for seven days, nor shall any of the flesh that you sacrifice on the evening of the first day remain all night until morning. ...
Deu 16:14 You shall rejoice in your feast, you and your son and your daughter, your male servant and your female servant, the Levite, the sojourner, the fatherless, and the widow who are within your towns.
Deu 16:15 For seven days you shall keep the feast to the LORD your God at the place that the LORD will choose, because the LORD your God will bless you in all your produce and in all the work of your hands, so that you will be altogether joyful.
Deu 16:16 "Three times a year all your males shall appear before the LORD your God at the place that he will choose: at the Feast of Unleavened Bread, at the Feast of Weeks, and at the Feast of Booths. They shall not appear before the LORD empty-handed.
Deu 16:17 Every man shall give as he is able, according to the blessing of the LORD your God that he has given you.

Also:
2Cr 30:22 And Hezekiah spoke encouragingly to all the Levites who showed good skill in the service of the LORD. So they ate the food of the festival for seven days, sacrificing peace offerings and giving thanks to the LORD, the God of their fathers. [So the peace offerings were offered during the seven days of the feast]

2Cr 35:7 Then Josiah contributed to the lay people, as Passover offerings for all who were present, lambs and young goats from the flock to the number of 30,000, and 3,000 bulls; these were from the king's possessions.
2Cr 35:8 And his officials contributed willingly to the people, to the priests, and to the Levites. Hilkiah, Zechariah, and Jehiel, the chief officers of the house of God, gave to the priests for the Passover offerings 2,600 Passover lambs and 300 bulls.
2Cr 35:9 Conaniah also, and Shemaiah and Nethanel his brothers, and Hashabiah and Jeiel and Jozabad, the chiefs of the Levites, gave to the Levites for the Passover offerings 5,000 lambs and young goats and 500 bulls.
2Cr 35:10 When the service had been prepared for, the priests stood in their place, and the Levites in their divisions according to the king's command.
2Cr 35:11 And they slaughtered the Passover lamb, and the priests threw the blood that they received from them while the Levites flayed the sacrifices.
2Cr 35:12 And they set aside the burnt offerings that they might distribute them according to the groupings of the fathers' houses of the lay people, to offer to the LORD, as it is written in the Book of Moses. And so they did with the bulls.
2Cr 35:13 And they roasted the Passover lamb with fire according to the rule; and they boiled the holy offerings in pots, in cauldrons, and in pans, and carried them quickly to all the lay people.

Besides the sacrifices required for the feast, the peace offerings were all described as being offered during the seven days of the feast.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? [Re: APL] #171516
01/27/15 01:57 AM
01/27/15 01:57 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Quote:
I believe Matthew, Mark, and Luke was referring to the night of Nisan 13th when Nisan 14th began at sunset.

No. Luke is very clear about it:

Luc 22:7 Then came the day of Unleavened Bread, on which the Passover lamb had to be sacrificed.
Luc 22:8 So Jesus sent Peter and John, saying, "Go and prepare the Passover for us, that we may eat it."

This was in the morning, and the “day of Unleavened Bread” had already come. Robertson says about this verse:

The day of unleavened bread came (ēlthen hē hēmera tōn azumōn). The day itself came, not simply was drawing nigh (Luk_22:1).

Quote:
Preparation day started by removing all the leaven in the house, preparing the eating area and the lamb was to be killed the next day on Nisan 14th between the two evenings. So while they started to make preparation for the Passover meal, they had the last supper together. But this was not the passover meal.

First, we can find no evidence that there was any particular day which was called “the preparation of the Passover”. Second, in the Bible no other day is called “the preparation” except the day before the Sabbath, that is, Friday. Because it was the Passover week, John calls it the Passover preparation day.

The New International Version correctly translates this verse as follows: “It was the day of Preparation of Passover Week, about the sixth hour. ‘Here is your king,’ Pilate said to the Jews” (John 19:14).

Edersheim says:
I have simply rendered the _Paraskeue tou Pasca_ by Friday in Passover-week. The evidence for regarding _Paraskeue_ in the Gospels, as the terminus technicus for Friday, has been often set forth. See Kirchner, D. jud. Passahf. pp. 447, &c. (Alfred Edersheim, The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah: The Cross and the Crown. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1953; p. 581).

Quote:
This goes in harmony with the account of the gospel of John that refer to the last supper by saying it was “before the feast of the Passover”(John 13:1)-- meaning that meal when Judas betrayed Jesus occur before the evening of the 14th-15th when is the time to eat the passover meal.

John 13:1 does not teach, as it seems to teach according to the translation of this verse in the A.V. and R.V., that the Saviour instituted the Holy Communion before the Passover.
As Geldenhuys says,

By making “before the feast” refer to “Jesus... loved them until the end,” the sense is not clearly expressed. What could John have meant by such a statement? If, however, we take the expression “before the feast,” along with eidwv" (knowing), the verse immediately reads more naturally, for then we may translate it as follows: “Knowing (already) before the Passover that His hour had come to depart out of this world unto His Father, Jesus, He who loved His own in this world, loved them unto the end (or ‘to the uttermost’)....”
Even Westcott, who held that John teaches that Jesus was crucified on the 14th, admits that verse 1 “is complete in itself”. In verse 2 “we have a fresh beginning.”... So we have no right to make the fixing of the date refer to the meal mentioned in verse 2 or to the washing of the feet (Norval Geldenhuys, The New International Commentary on the New Testament: The Gospel of Luke. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1979, pp. 657-58).

Quote:
Before Judas took off, and the disciple was trying to figure out what Jesus meant with His words toward Judas and thought that because Judas had the money bag Jesus was instructing him to "Buy those things we need for the Feast,"(Jn 13:29). This text points that they had not finish the preparation of the Passover during that meal.

The expression in John 13:29, “Buy what we need for the feast”, does not show that it was not the paschal supper which Christ ate with His disciples, for here it is not stated, “Buy what we need for the paschal repast,” but “what we need for the feast, i.e., for the seven days’ feast which commences to-night and for which still many things are required.”

Quote:
After that last supper, on that same night that's when Jesus was seized by the Jewish leaders and brought to be judged. When the early morning came JOHN 18:28 says “Then they led Jesus from Caiaphas to the Praetorium, and it was early morning. But they themselves did not go into the Praetorium, lest they should be defiled, but that they mighteat the Passover. (NKJV)” (see also Luke 18:28) These texts shows that the leaders had not eaten the Passover yet either by early morning.

No, it doesn’t. As we have seen, “to eat the Passover” applies to the seven days of the feast, and not only to the Passover meal, but to the chagigah and the unleavened bread.

Quote:
Different translation can give different spin to a text. Many had translated Luke 22:15,16 to say Jesus was telling them that he desired but He won’t be eating of the coming Passover with them until the Kingdom is fulfilled. Here’s a few translation : (Note that “(coming)” before Passover is my addition because see John Synopsis above) “

Sure it is your addition, as no translation brings the word, and it is completely unwarranted.

Quote:
Concerning the first part, the Paschal sacrifice was the only sacrifice made into a feast that represented our Justification which focused on the death work of Christ by spilling His blood for us which is the foundation of all other rituals that represents other aspects of our salvation process including our sanctification and cleansing.

No, our justification is represented by the Paschal supper, not by the Paschal sacrifice. As Geldenhuys says, the Paschal supper was the most important part of the feast.

Quote:
Concerning the second part, I don’t understand your argument with the timing of “the evening sacrifice”. Jesus was crucified(put on the cross) on the 3rd hour(9AM), but He died on the 9th hours(3PM)(Mk 15:25,34; Mat 27:46;). According to the Law the Paschal lamb was to be sacrificed between the two evenings(after Noon and before Sunset(5PM)).

“Betweem the two evenings” means simply during the afternoon; there is no reference to a precise hour, while the evening sacrifice was offered at a precise hour – 3 p.m.

Quote:
This reasoning is severely in conflicts with many scriptures that I have given just a few above but there’s more. Who is this Geldenhuys guy(or gal)? I tried to find him and this quote but none came up on the internet. Is he an SDA pastor trying to work around the 31AD problem?

AS I have shown, it is not in conflict with the Scriptures. Geldenhuys is one of the best commentators about Luke. No, he is not a SDA and his commentary is not in the Internet. There has been a long debate among theologians about the death of Christ being on the 14th or on the 15th. Opinions are divided, since the three synoptics are clear that Jesus died on the 15th. Some statements of John seem to imply that He died on the 14th. But this is 3 against 1, and it is easier to find an explanation for what John says than to explain away what the Synoptics say.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? [Re: APL] #171517
01/27/15 03:14 AM
01/27/15 03:14 AM
APL  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: rosangela
No. Luke is very clear about it:
Luke 22:1 Now the feast of unleavened bread drew near, which is called the Passover.

So which is it? Unleavened bread, or Passover? Or a combination of both? Luke 22:7,8 is not so clear now...

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? [Re: APL] #171534
01/27/15 11:36 AM
01/27/15 11:36 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Of course it is clear. Both names were applied to the whole feast, as the verse says. What can't be the case is "the first day of unleavened bread" being applied to Nisan 13.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? [Re: APL] #171537
01/27/15 03:24 PM
01/27/15 03:24 PM
APL  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Of course it is clear. Both names were applied to the whole feast, as the verse says.
That is my point.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? [Re: APL] #171542
01/27/15 07:22 PM
01/27/15 07:22 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Of course it is clear. Both names were applied to the whole feast, as the verse says. What can't be the case is "the first day of unleavened bread" being applied to Nisan 13.

I don't know if you were refering to my view, if so you have mis-understood what I have said by which is the opinion of many scholars that the reference of "the first day of unleavened bread" by the 3 gospels was the evening of Nisan 14th (Thursday at dusk when Nisan 13 and 14th met at sundown). At that time it was the beginning of "the first day of unleavened bread". That's when many believe the last supper took place.

It is true that "unleaveaned Bread" and "Passover" were used interchangibly which created a lot of confusion for us reading the accounts. So this expression would also mean "the first day of the Passover SEASON" which began at the evening of Nisan 14th to remove all leaven in the house and sacrifice the lamb later in the after noon of Nisan 14th.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, for not asking sooner and it is unclear to me -- how do you interpret the fulfillment of the whole Spring Feasts scenario as the days progress for a 31 AD by which Nisan 14th falls on a Thursday with most TYPES that are not fulfilled on appointed time. Contrary to a Nisan 14th scenario that falls of a Friday (example given below), like it was on 33 AD, all TYPES fulfillment falls on appointed times.

Also, tell me is your position the same as the Church's (those at the head)?

Correct me where I’m wrong trying to understand your application of 31AD when Friday is Nisan 15th with the 4 gospels accounts as followed :

Scenario when Nisan 14 falls on a Thursday -- on 31 AD (My understanding of Rosangela's View)

(-In Blue is the fulfillment of the TYPE at the appointed Time.
- In Red is where the TYPE is not fulfilled at appointed times or the breakage of law occured.)

Night & Day of Nisan 14th (Thursday):
-the passover lamb for Jesus and disciples is killed at the temple; however the account was not given in the 4 gospels.
- they got the upper room and prepared it.

Evening of Nisan 15th (Thursday night) :
- Beginning of Ceremonial Sabbath where no civil work was allowed.
-Jesus & disciples ate the Passover lamb.
-This conflicts that how the disciple could think that Judas was being instructed to buy things for the Feast. Nisan 15th was a Ceremonial Sabbath, thus it was unthinkable that Jesus would of instruct Judas to go to buy things for the Feast. (John 13:29)
-or any further preperation work was needed at this point.

Night of Nisan 15th :
-They go outside to sing hymn. This would break Ex12:22 where it says it was forbidden to go out until morning.
- Jesus arrested & tribunal takes place until early morning. These are civil work which are forbidden to be conducted on Ceremonial Sabbaths, and weekly Sabbaths.

Day Nisan 15th (Friday):
-Still the 1st day of unleavened bread which was a Ceremonial Sabbath day. No civil work to be done on that day; thus the Jewish Leaders would be breaking the Sabbath by conducting tribunal affairs.
-How would the Jewish Leaders be afraid to be defiled if they had already eaten Passover lamb?
-Jesus is crucified at 9am but He dies on the cross 3pm by which is NOT the appointed day the lamb in the law is sacrificed and all the paschal lambs for the feats had been sacrificed in the day prior.

Before dusk of Nisan 15th :
-Joseph buys a linen cloth to wrap Jesus. It was unlawful to buy on the ceremonial Sabbath day of Nisan 15th. Joseph couldn’t of bought the cloth Nisan 14th for He didn’t know then that Jesus was going to be killed on the next day.
-Jesus is put in the tomb before sunset.

Evening of Nisan 16th(Friday Night) :
-Nothing special happens…. the lamb had already been eaten the previous night.

Day of Nisan 16th (Sabbath) Omer 1:
-2nd day of unleavened bread, work can be resumed but since this was a weekly Sabbath day, no one could work that day also.
-According to the Pharisaical interpretation the wave sheaf happens here. However Jesus doesn’t resurrect until the following day. Right. So here also, the wave sheaf is not fulfilled at the appointed time.

Day of Nisan 17th (Sunday) Omer 2 :
-Jesus resurrect, but fulfills no appointed time.

After 7 Sabbaths Omer 50 falls on a Sabbath having 8 Sabbaths in the count :
-I had never seen this before, this is very interesting to have 8 Sabbaths in the count when you start counting the day of Nisan 16th that falls on a Sabbath.
- Rosangela, do you (& Head of Church) believe that the fulfillment of Pentecost fell on a Sabbath?

Scenario when Nisan 14 falls on a Friday -- on 33 AD (My View)

This scenario brings in harmony all 4 gospels synopsis and all the law of spring feasts fulfilled at appointed time, including Lev 23:15 concerning the Pentecost as follows:

Evening of Nisan 14th (Thursday night) :
-Nisan 14th was not a ceremonial Sabbath; thus they could buy things & do civil work, and do all the preparation necessary before the Paschal lamb was eaten at night on Nisan 15th.
- when they started to get the upper room ready for the Feast and
- had a meal together by which many scholars says it was the first Chagigah(peace offering) of Nisan 14th. Note that there was a second chagigah that was eaten on Nisan 15th.

Night of Nisan 14th :
-They sing a hymn outside on Mt Olives… it doesn't break the law of Ex 12:22, for the meal was not the Paschal.
-Jesus arrested.
-Jesus tribunal takes place until early morning.

Day Nisan 14th (Friday):
-Jewish Leaders afraid to be defiled(so they wouldn’t be able to eat Passover lamb that they haven't eaten yet); so they don’t want to go inside Pilates’ Palace to present Jesus tribunal case.
- Jesus is crucified at 9am(Some say He was put on the cross at noon but the crucifixion verdict given at 9am)
- He dies on the cross at 3pm .

Before dusk of Nisan 14th :
-Joseph buys a linen cloth to wrap Jesus.
-Jesus is put in the tomb before sunset.

Evening of Nisan 15th(Friday Night) :
-Everyone’s Feast preparation needs to be completed by then.
-The Passover lamb was to be eaten that night until morning according to the law.

Day of Nisan 15th (Sabbath) :
-1st day of unleavened bread.
-Jesus sleeps(rest). Fulfills Sabbath rest.

Day of Nisan 16th (Sunday) Omer 1 :
-It is the day of the wave sheaf offering.
-Jesus resurrect and fulfills the Type of the wave sheaf .
-When Nisan 14th falls on a Friday, that’s the only day scenario for the Pharisees and the Sadducees interpretation of Lev 23:15 comes out on the same day for the wave sheaf.

Day after 7 Sabbaths(Sunday) Omer 50 :
-Pentecost(Omer 50) lands on Sunday which is the day after 7 Sabbaths.
-Only scenario(when Nisan 14th falls on Friday) that the day after 7 Sabbaths falls on a Sunday which is literally the day after 7 Sabbaths count which is when it is believe that the Pentecost of Acts was fulfilled.

Blessings
Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? [Re: APL] #171548
01/28/15 04:07 PM
01/28/15 04:07 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
I believe Jesus ate the Chagigah with His disciples friends to accomplish that portion of the law. It was refered to as a Passover in a generic way, like the 7 days of unleavened bread was also refered as the Passover and like Deut 16:2 refers to the "cattle" to be the Passover sacrifice(of the Chagigah) because the term was used in a general way to encapsulate all the feasts that happened that time.
These fulfillment(passover, Pentecost) on the appointed time-day are not possible on the year 31 AD but it is on the year 33 AD.

Elle, it sounded like you were saying that 31 AD was all possible because of the generic way of referring to the days. Then you go and conclude it wasn't possible.

I must have missed your point.

(And by the way, I'm not sure a valid argument would be with the Jews worried about breaking the ceremonial law. They broke their Creator. And then in your version, you say they still instigated the tribunal)

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!