HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,594
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: The real covenant [Re: APL] #175592
07/24/15 05:43 PM
07/24/15 05:43 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: APL
The Law is a transcript of God's character.

You got that from EGW, didn't you? It is not correct. God Himself spoke against Pharaoh saying, "For if by now I had put forth My hand and struck you and your people with pestilence, you would then have been cut off from the earth. But, indeed, for this reason I have allowed you to remain: in order to show you My power and in order to proclaim My name through all the earth."

God Himself proclaimed His NAME as it is written, "Then the LORD passed by in front of [Moses] and proclaimed, "The LORD, the LORD God, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in lovingkindness and truth ..." (Exod. 34:6) As it is also written in Acts 2:21, "And it shall come to pass that whoever calls on the NAME of the Lord shall be saved.".

The NAME of God is synonymous with love, tender mercies, forgiveness, truth, justice, righteousness, in short, this: "but the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law." (Gal. 5:22) The people of God take up their cross and follow Christ. They wash their robe in His blood. As they were forgiven, so they forgive. "For by the deeds of the Law, no flesh shall be justified." Don't you know that?

///

Re: The real covenant [Re: Johann] #175593
07/24/15 06:56 PM
07/24/15 06:56 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
YES! "Against such" there is no law. Yes! The Law is indeed a transcript of the character of God. And Name = Character.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: The real covenant [Re: Johann] #175595
07/25/15 12:10 AM
07/25/15 12:10 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
The "seal" of God may be a poor translation. It is quite similar to "mark". I believe a better translation of both may be "stamp." If we have the stamp of God, we have His character. If we have the stamp of the beast, our character is that of the beast. The decisive factor is a matter of character.

We sometimes use expressions in English like "chip off the old block" to refer to one's likeness to his father. The "seal of God" is also a reference to such a likeness. We must be like the Father if it is to be said of us that we have His "seal" (stamp).

Mrs. White compared the stamp of God versus the stamp of the enemy in the following:

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
. . . This work is of God, or it is not. God does nothing in partnership with Satan. My work for the past thirty years bears the stamp of God or the stamp of the enemy. There is no halfway work in the matter. The Testimonies are of the Spirit of God, or of the devil. In arraying yourself against the servants of God you are doing a work either for God or for the devil. "By their fruits ye shall know them." What stamp does your work bear? It will pay to look critically at the result of your course. {4T 229.2}

In that statement, she speaks of the "stamp" as evidenced in the work that one does. In the following statement, she applies the stamp to the individual.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
The sons of God belong to a different nation--the empire of purity and holiness. They are the nobility of heaven. The stamp of God is upon them. So evident and perceptible is this that the enmity of the world is aroused against them by the contrast. I call upon everyone who claims to be a son of God never to forget this great truth, that we need the Spirit of God within us in order to reach heaven, and the work of Christ without us in order to give us a title to the immortal inheritance. {TM 441.4}

Those of whom it can be said that they have the stamp of God are pure and holy. They are God's sons. In First John we find that those who are called sons of God have Godly characters. They are obedient to His laws. Those who are disobedient to God are children of the devil. Jesus also rebuked some, calling them children of the devil on account of their sinfulness and disobedience.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The real covenant [Re: APL] #175611
07/25/15 05:35 PM
07/25/15 05:35 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: APL
YES! "Against such" there is no law. Yes! The Law is indeed a transcript of the character of God. And Name = Character.

Then there is no hope for you.

///

Re: The real covenant [Re: Green Cochoa] #175612
07/25/15 05:50 PM
07/25/15 05:50 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
The "seal" of God may be a poor translation. It is quite similar to "mark". I believe a better translation of both may be "stamp." If we have the stamp of God, we have His character. If we have the stamp of the beast, our character is that of the beast. The decisive factor is a matter of character. We sometimes use expressions in English like "chip off the old block" to refer to one's likeness to his father. The "seal of God" is also a reference to such a likeness. We must be like the Father if it is to be said of us that we have His "seal" (stamp).

Those of whom it can be said that they have the stamp of God are pure and holy. They are God's sons. In First John we find that those who are called sons of God have Godly characters. They are obedient to His laws. Those who are disobedient to God are children of the devil. Jesus also rebuked some, calling them children of the devil on account of their sinfulness and disobedience.

Blessings,
Green Cochoa.

Jesus said, "A NEW COMMANDMENT I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. BY THIS ALL WILL KNOW that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." (John 13:34-35)

Do you see those two phrases: "A NEW COMMANDMENT" and "BY THIS ALL WILL KNOW"? What do you think they mean when it comes to differentiating between characters; between the good and the evil, between those who have the seal of God and those who have the mark of the Beast? See Mat. 25:31-46.

///

Re: The real covenant [Re: Johann] #175613
07/25/15 07:15 PM
07/25/15 07:15 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
What was Christ mission? To reveal the character of God! It had been misunderstood and misrepresented. To love is not new, Leviticus 19:18 You shall not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD.

What was new in that a new demonstration had been given of love, which the disciples were now bidden to emulate. By His revelation of His Father’s character Jesus had opened to men a new concept of the love of God. Where the old commandment enjoined men to love their neighbors as themselves, the new urged them to love as Jesus had loved.

Jesus also said, John 14:15 If you love me, keep my commandments. And, 1 John 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: The real covenant [Re: Johann] #175615
07/25/15 08:11 PM
07/25/15 08:11 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
"The Saviour is revealed in the Old Testament as clearly as in the New." {DA 799.2} The love of God is as clearly revealed in the OT as it is in the NT. Everything in the OT screams - Our God is loving. The problem is not the OT. The problem is the reader. When read properly, the OT reveals the love of God as clearly as the NT.

Quote:
His teachings were designed to direct their minds to the Old Testament and to bring into clearer light the great themes there presented. For ages the people of Israel had been separating themselves from God, and they had lost sight of precious truths which He had committed to them. These truths were covered up with superstitious forms and ceremonies that concealed their true significance. Christ came to remove the rubbish which had obscured their luster. He placed them, as precious gems, in a new setting. He showed that so far from disdaining the repetition of old, familiar truths, He came to make them appear in their true force and beauty, the glory of which had never been discerned by the men of His time. Himself the Author of these revealed truths, He could open to the people their true meaning, freeing them from the misinterpretations and false theories adopted by the leaders to suit their own unconsecrated condition, their destitution of spirituality and the love of God. He cast aside that which had robbed these truths of life and vital power, and gave them back to the world in all their original freshness and force. {5T 709.2}

The blessed Bible gives us a knowledge of the great plan of salvation, and shows us how every individual may have eternal life. Who is the author of the Book?--Jesus Christ. He is the True Witness, and he says to his own, "I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand." The Bible shows us the way to Christ, and in Christ eternal life is revealed. Jesus said to the Jews, and to those who gathered about him in multitudes, "Search the Scriptures." The Jews had the Scriptures which testified of Christ, but they were not able to discern Christ in the Scriptures. The truths of the Old Testament they had so mingled with human opinions that its teachings were mystified, and the will of God to man covered up. Christ's sermon on the mount virtually contradicted the doctrines of the self-righteous scribes and Pharisees. They had so misrepresented God that he was looked upon as a stern judge, incapable of compassion, mercy, or love. They presented to the people endless maxims and traditions that had no "Thus saith the Lord" for their authority. Though they professed to know and to worship the true and living God, they wholly misrepresented him and his character as revealed in his Son. Christ labored constantly to sweep away those misrepresentations, that the confidence of men in the love of God might be restored. He taught man to address the supreme Ruler by the new name "Our Father." This name represents our true relation to him, and when spoken sincerely by human lips, it is music in the ears of God. Christ leads us to the throne of God by a new and living way. {AU Gleaner, June 9, 1909 par. 5}

Re: The real covenant [Re: Johann] #175616
07/25/15 09:58 PM
07/25/15 09:58 PM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Good discussion. The motivation for obedience that God finds acceptable is love. "If you love me keep my commandment." There is transforming power in the word of God. God's biddings are his enablings. Deeds make the man, not man the deeds.

Re: The real covenant [Re: Charity] #184919
08/13/17 09:29 PM
08/13/17 09:29 PM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Mark Shipowick
Good discussion. The motivation for obedience that God finds acceptable is love. "If you love me keep my commandment." There is transforming power in the word of God. God's biddings are his enablings. Deeds make the man, not man the deeds.

Yes, your comment pulls it all together!

Obedience without love for our Creator and Lord, is just a clanging cymbal

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
13:2 And though I have [the gift of] prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
13:3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

On the other hand --if we say we have this godly love called "charity" in the verses above, but don't have obedience we are liars!

1 John 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
2:4 He that says, I know him, and keeps not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
2:5 But who ever keeps his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

Re: The real covenant [Re: Johann] #184920
08/13/17 10:07 PM
08/13/17 10:07 PM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Johann

Which is more important to us, The seal of God, or the mark of the beast?

Have you noticed that the Bible calls the Ten Commandments the Covenant? Hebrew scholars tell us that the language of the Commandments are the language of a covenant and not a prohibition.

In the middle of this covenant you have the expression "Remember" That is part of the covenant.

The seal of God is indeed
"... the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name." Rev. 3:12

Basically it is the stamp of citizenship--
Citizens of the kingdom of God, citizens Christ's kingdom, our home the New Jerusalem.

God also tells us that there is a sign which declares who our God is --

Ez. 20:20 And hallow my sabbaths; and they shall be a sign between me and you, that ye may know that I [am] the LORD your God.

That sign is very much part of the equation:
Isaiah 56:4 For thus says the LORD unto them that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant;
56:5 Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off.

Of course, if we "keep" the Sabbath without Christ, we've missed the whole point, we've turned it into our own covenant, rather than the covenant of our Creator.

Rev. 14:6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,
14:7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

The everlasting gospel has as it's very message the call to worship the Creator God, bring glory to Him by a life transformed by His grace, worship Him that made heaven and earth and the sea.

The honor and recognition we bring to our Creator is to
"Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
For [in] six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them [is], and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. Ex. 20:9,11

The Sabbath is a mighty bulwark defying evolution as the "creator" and honoring the Great Creator God!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!