HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,593
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, dedication, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Some Beliefs of the Jehovah's Witness Church [Re: Rose] #175576
07/23/15 11:51 AM
07/23/15 11:51 AM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
Originally Posted By: Rose
Great study, David!<P>I have a lot of contact with Jehovah Witnesses, and I try to discuss what we have in common with them, but the disagreement about their view of the nature of Christ as a "lesser God" than Jehovah is where I can't agree.<P>They do agree the dead "sleep" and the body and soul together make up a living being-but they believe there will be a second chance for unbelievers. They believe that the wicked will be destroyed, not tortured forever in hell.<P><BR>They believe the "law" was done away with in Christ, and the days of creation were 7000 years long.<P>Another point;<BR>The JW's have had a lot of important court cases for religious liberty in the US..<BR>They do not salute the US flag, because they understand it's an act of worship. You have to respect them for their standing for what they believe.<P>(The blood transfusion thing I just don't get, though)<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Rose (edited November 09, 2001).]

Wasn't Russell, the founder of the JW Church a Seventh-day Adventist before a JW? I thought that was where they got the dead/sleep doctrine.

Re: Some Beliefs of the Jehovah's Witness Church [Re: Daryl] #175582
07/23/15 08:56 PM
07/23/15 08:56 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
I understand the Jehovah's Witnesses and Church of God were offshoots from Adventists. And the Church of God started promoting the Sacred Name Movement of which JWs also promote.

Re: Some Beliefs of the Jehovah's Witness Church [Re: kland] #175629
07/26/15 02:12 AM
07/26/15 02:12 AM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
You do mean the World Wide Church of God from Herbert Armstrong?

Re: Some Beliefs of the Jehovah's Witness Church [Re: JAK] #175633
07/26/15 05:06 AM
07/26/15 05:06 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: JAK
Originally Posted By: Dave Mullbock
I'd like to post a reply regarding the meaning of the name "Jesus/Yashua":

It means Jehovah Saves. Why didn't Gabriel, in giving instructions to Mary on naming Him, say, "Jehovah will use him to save His people?" Instead, he said, "He will save His people from their sins."

It seems to me the "He (Jesus/Jehovah Saves)" and "Jehovah (who will save His people from their sins as the name 'Jesus' implies)" must be that same personage.

Also, about Michael. Gabriel identifies him as our Prince in Daniel chapter 10. Now, who is our Prince? Doesn't the Bible say that David would be our Prince for ever? Didn't Gabriel say the Jesus would be given the throne of His father David? If Michael is not Christ, our Prince, then just where in the Bible is it mentioned that God's subordinate angels took the place of those in the Royal Line of David?

Dave

Perhaps he can clarify what he is asking, since I have no idea what he's talking about.

His first arguments is upholding the conviction that Jesus is Jehovah, one with the Father.

The name "Jesus/Yashua": means Jehovah Saves.

Isaiah 43:11 I, even I, the LORD (Jehovah); and beside me there is no Saviour.

Isaiah 45:21 I the LORD (Jehovah) and there is no God beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me.

Isaiah 49:26 I the LORD [Jehovah] am thy Saviour and thy Redeemer,

John 4:42 (speaking of Jesus) this is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world.

2 Timothy 1:10 But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:

If there is no Savior except Jehovah, than Christ is Jehovah.

The second argument supports Michael as being Christ.
Michael is "our Prince" (Dan. 10:21)
He is the great Prince that stands for the people (Dan. 12:1)

A "prince" will be "king".
As the Son of man, Christ is the "son of David" who will receive the "throne of David" and be the king of all redeemed humans!

Matt. 1:1 The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David
Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
9:7 Of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David,

As the Son of God
Christ sits with His Father on the throne of the universe.

Revelation 3:21 I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

Hebrews 1:8 Unto the Son, He said, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom

Michael our Prince is Jesus (not an angel)

Re: Some Beliefs of the Jehovah's Witness Church [Re: kland] #175634
07/26/15 05:23 AM
07/26/15 05:23 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: kland
I understand the Jehovah's Witnesses and Church of God were offshoots from Adventists. And the Church of God started promoting the Sacred Name Movement of which JWs also promote.

What do you mean by "Adventists"?

If it means the Millerites, (who were called 2nd Adventists) then yes, JW's are a group that formed from the Millerite movement.

If you mean "seventh-day Adventists" then NO, JW's are NOT an offshoot of the Seventh-day Adventist group.

Re: Some Beliefs of the Jehovah's Witness Church [Re: Daryl] #175635
07/26/15 06:06 AM
07/26/15 06:06 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
When the “Advent” did not occur October of 1844, several separate 2nd Adventist groups formed their own churches. We, of course are most knowledgeable of the Sabbath keeping group, but there were also other groups.

More date setting for the coming of Christ was popular amongst these groups. Seventh-day Adventists were spared further "great disappointments" due to EGW's strong words against any further date setting.

However, one former Millerite, Nelson Barbour, continued to calculate “dates” based on his own interpretations. He predicted that Jesus Christ would return and establish his kingdom sometime in 1873 or early 1874.

Another former Millerite, Jonas Wendell, began preaching Barbour's ideas. Teenaged Charles Taze Russell heard Wendell preach and was fascinated by this new 1874 date for Christ's second coming.

Once again 1874 came and went with no appearing. So Barbour developed a different idea -- that Christ had invisibly appeared and would take 40 years. to 1914. when He would make a visible appearance.

Barbour, Russell, and a few followers worked together till 1879 when another prediction failed. They separated and Russell (who is considered the founder of the Jehovah Witnesses) started publishing his own Second Adventist magazine, called “ZION’S WATCH TOWER and HERALD OF CHRIST’S PRESENCE.” It’s goal was to publish that Christ had already returned “invisibly” in 1874, but would return “visibly” in October 1914.

In the years following the JW group experienced considerable growth.
However October 1914 came and went with no visible appearing.
So Fred Franz worked behind the scenes to restore faith in the JW's chronological calculations. The revised chronology established Christ's invisible return as having taken place in 1914 rather than 1874, and, during the 1960's, the Society's publications began pointing to the year 1975 as the likely time for Armageddon and the end of the world.

Re: Some Beliefs of the Jehovah's Witness Church [Re: dedication] #175643
07/27/15 03:21 AM
07/27/15 03:21 AM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
Originally Posted By: dedication

If it means the Millerites, (who were called 2nd Adventists) then yes, JW's are a group that formed from the Millerite movement.

If you mean "seventh-day Adventists" then NO, JW's are NOT an offshoot of the Seventh-day Adventist group.

Blessings dedication,

I thank God for that clarification. I also misunderstood.

Re: Some Beliefs of the Jehovah's Witness Church [Re: dedication] #175654
07/28/15 01:47 PM
07/28/15 01:47 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: dedication

I probably didn't really understand that. Thanks for making it clear.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 10:58 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!