HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 15
Rick H 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,847 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Why have we allowed strange music and noise and dancing in our worship? [Re: kland] #178200
11/17/15 11:46 PM
11/17/15 11:46 PM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
Originally Posted By: kland
Originally Posted By: Alchemy
Originally Posted By: kland
I don't know if some of you are exaggerating and ain't seen nothing yet.

Have you ever been to a Adventist sponsored Acrofest gymnastics event? How does that compare to what you're seeing in churches? I'd like to hear a response from each [who are] talking about how bad the music is.

I don't have any idea about an Acrofest. Yet, the music coming into the SDA Churches is horrible.

People like to say that if just one soul is saved, it is worth it. Not if it takes out 100 souls in the process!! God will work with most of these "atmospheres" to a point. Every once in a while God can pull a brand from the fire. But, it is far more likely people are being led into darkness than someone ending up saved from these kinds of events.

We must keep are services reverent toward the One, True God of Israel. This is the best way to draw people to Christ.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, what I had thought was bad, what you may think is bad music, is nothing. It could be considered elevator music compared to what is really happening. "Jazz" is nothing in comparison. It could be considered easy-listening. I don't know what you've experienced, but I'm just suggesting that you might be complaining about water on the doorstep when a flood has taken the rest of the house away. Not excusing music in the churches, but if Adventists think Acrofest music is fine and not outright appalled, then no wonder what's happening in the churches.

Like hard core rock music at way past 90+ decibels. Where you plug your ears and it's still uncomfortably loud with not only your chest but your back vibrating.

Oic....

Re: Why have we allowed strange music and noise and dancing in our worship? [Re: Rick H] #178203
11/18/15 12:10 AM
11/18/15 12:10 AM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
Just my perspective, but I don't really see a big issue with the current trend in music. Where I am (Western Canada) I certainly don't see "Led Zep and Grateful Dead", or "pyrotechnics", or anything played at "way past 90+ decibels", or any of the other stuff mentioned in the posts.

Nor have I seen it in any churches I have visited in the US, so I wonder if things are a bit over-stated.

dunno

"All that is Gold does not Glitter, Not all who Wander are Lost." (J.R.R.T.)
Re: Why have we allowed strange music and noise and dancing in our worship? [Re: Rick H] #178206
11/18/15 03:50 AM
11/18/15 03:50 AM
jamesonofthunder  Offline
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
The Jazz wasn't the problem it was the Catholic Priests playing it for Sabbath so the pastor could get into the christian- political arena by making appearances. He became embarrassed about our way of praising God so he looked for other input.

If you want to talk about strictly the style of music, at that same church they had a kids/ young adult program called "crowded house" and after the sermon the kids would go into a cabin with a full band playing heavy metal music on the Sabbath on the property of Andover church. I can prove it. They tried talking me into organizing it because of my rock and roll history, then when I objected they made it their duty to kick me out.

I never condemn anyone for the type of music they listen too. I still have many friends in the entertainment industry. One of my best friends Tim Howard who I played with for years is the guitarist for Merle Haggard. Also friends with August Zadra with Denis De Young and the Panozo brothers of the rock band Styx and many other bands.

But I draw the line when someone cranks it up in church with drums and loud guitars and people are banging their heads and raising their hands like it causes them to be filled with the Holy Spirit. This is something God is very upset about.

They took away the hymnal and made it a concert. Where is the blessing in it if they're focused on the singer and not praising God?

The bible says there is a blessing for everyone to be singing hymns. But if it's a concert with no hymnal you have to know the popular music to know what to sing.

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Re: Why have we allowed strange music and noise and dancing in our worship? [Re: JAK] #178237
11/18/15 01:52 PM
11/18/15 01:52 PM
jamesonofthunder  Offline
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
Originally Posted By: JAK
Just my perspective, but I don't really see a big issue with the current trend in music. Where I am (Western Canada) I certainly don't see "Led Zep and Grateful Dead", or "pyrotechnics", or anything played at "way past 90+ decibels", or any of the other stuff mentioned in the posts.

Nor have I seen it in any churches I have visited in the US, so I wonder if things are a bit over-stated.

dunno

That's because you are not here in the image Beast America. But for you to say "I really don't see a big issue", when it IS everywhere here, means you have your head in the sand. What happens in America comes to your town ten years later and you know it. And it doesn't have to be loud to shock your senses. Have you ever read any scientific papers about the influence of rhythm on a developing brain?

But since you probably grew up on rock and roll (Most Canadians are rockers, I know, I traveled all over your country with Ozzy Osbourne and others) and you seem to be very liberal you probably wouldn't care if it did come to your church.

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Re: Why have we allowed strange music and noise and dancing in our worship? [Re: JAK] #178266
11/19/15 11:21 AM
11/19/15 11:21 AM
Rick H  Offline
OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: JAK

dunno
We just got back from a Pathfinder Camporee and the leaders up front were giving shout outs and other concert tactics to the kids to get them going during Friday vespers and Sabbath for church and afternoon program, and they used drums, loud music, dancing, and pumping their hands in the air while yelling. Can you call that, "worship service"?

Ive been in Pathfinders since when Elvis was still in the building, and I know when its a rock and roll event versus church. It will soon be coming to you, just a matter of time.....(even in Western Canada)

Last edited by Rick H; 11/19/15 11:22 AM.
Re: Why have we allowed strange music and noise and dancing in our worship? [Re: Rick H] #178305
11/20/15 01:45 PM
11/20/15 01:45 PM
ProdigalOne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024
Supporting Member 2023

Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
Like JAK, I haven't seen much of this type of music in Canadian churches, at least not in the prairies, it's more likely to be country music around here. Mind you, country music isn't as wholesome as its image seems to be. Some of the lyrics are not exactly G rated!

I do agree that it is only a matter of time before unholy music invades every geographic area of the Church. The disease of worldly culture is highly contagious. It has already infected much of our leadership and trickled down into our policy and teachings: the "strange fire" of dark musical choice is a symptom of this as surely as fever for a flu.

"...I will not forget you.
Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands..."

Isaiah 49:15-16
Re: Why have we allowed strange music and noise and dancing in our worship? [Re: Rick H] #178489
11/26/15 12:49 PM
11/26/15 12:49 PM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Well, my mother in law was coming over for Thanksgiving and she said our former church in Miami (A traditional Adventist church from which almost all the other churchs in Miami formed from) now has set up 2 church services. One the regular service, then a second one with all the drums and rock concert style service for those who desire that type of service. I was shocked to say the least and this is on top of what is happening to the very conservation Spanish churchs which are also being affected, with some putting in concert/theater seating and huge and extremely powerful speakers that you would normally find at a stadium or arena.

My wife came back from a trip in the Caribbean and on her island the churchs in the conference have split, with one half doing the rock concert style service and the other half with the regular worship service. One of our church brothers went to the New England area and he said the churchs out away from the cities basically consider the city churchs to have been taken over already by the music and drums, and there is a distinct difference...

I know you all may not have seen it yet, but be ready as it will continue spreading, especially in the larger churches.

Re: Why have we allowed strange music and noise and dancing in our worship? [Re: Rick H] #178495
11/26/15 03:54 PM
11/26/15 03:54 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
Originally Posted By: Rick H
I know you all may not have seen it yet, but be ready as it will continue spreading, especially in the larger churches.

Well, I for one am pretty sure it's not quite as described.

Furthermore, I actually welcome the change from traditional, stiff hymns to a more expressive, creative style of music that celebrates the freedom we have in Christ. (Ref. Gal. 5:1)

"All that is Gold does not Glitter, Not all who Wander are Lost." (J.R.R.T.)
Re: Why have we allowed strange music and noise and dancing in our worship? [Re: Rick H] #184993
08/26/17 08:39 PM
08/26/17 08:39 PM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Below is a good article on this subject -- it's not just our church that is concerned over the misuse of music in Christian churches.

We are called to be separate from world --

Originally Posted By: EGW
there are many who are binding themselves up with the world in a variety of ways. They have yet to learn the serious lessons so essential to growth in spirituality, to come out from the world and be separate. The heart is divided, the carnal mind craves conformity, similarity to the world in so many ways that the mark of distinction from the world is scarcely distinguishable. FE 311

Originally Posted By: article
Character of Church Music
Churches across all denominational lines have been seduced to a false and vain obligation to provide a non-convicting environment through the use of musical enhancement and entertainment. This is most noticeable among churches that favor contemporary methodology... Discerning believers know and understand that the Bible teaches and requires a very obvious contrast to worldly methodology of music. Godly music is most noticeably holy, doctrinal, and reverent in mannerism... and totally unlike the appeal, apparel, and appearance of worldly music. This is a matter of fact.

Charles Spurgeon, the great English Baptist preacher, declared with conviction: "The devil has seldom done a cleverer thing than hinting to the Church that part of their mission is to provide entertainment for the people, with a view to winning them... providing amusement for the people is nowhere spoken of in the Scriptures as a function of the Church...The need is biblical doctrine, so understood and felt that it sets men of fire."

The character of biblical based music is distinctly different in its origin and purpose. Biblical music and its methodology is sacred, not seductive. It is not intended to draw the world... it is separate from the world. Unlike biblical music, worldly methodology in music with religion sprinkled on it, is at its core a predator for the emotion of the vulnerable and carnal believer... while biblical based methodology in music compels devotion to the one and only true God... The Lord Jesus Christ (Col. 3;16). Amen!

Sincerely, Dr. Arthur Belanqer

Re: Why have we allowed strange music and noise and dancing in our worship? [Re: Rick H] #191016
10/05/19 07:18 PM
10/05/19 07:18 PM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Well, now I can see what is spreading this all over...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvXVV0-vRxQ

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!