HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,568
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 3,109 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
Re: Should we quote EGW? --The Lord Canonized OT & NT -- shouldn't EGW's writings also? [Re: Elle] #178199
11/17/15 11:04 PM
11/17/15 11:04 PM
E
Elle  Offline OP
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
I didn’t really address Alchemy first and second point properly.

Originally Posted By: Alchemy
In Genesis 17, God talks to Abraham and straightens everything out! The reason God explained and straightened everything out was because this prophecy truly came from God!

This is a HUGE assumption that I have always heard thru out my years in the Church. It’s not even biblical for the Lord says clearly in Num 12:8 that He speaks in “dark speeches” to prophets. Dark Speeches comes from the Hebrew word chiydah (H2420 that means “a puzzle, a riddle” that is difficult to solve). This word is used 17 times in the Bible where 9 times it is used in Judges relating to the difficult riddle Samson gave at his wedding party.

Thus in Num 12:8 it is clear that the word of the Lord given to prophets comes in an obscured language and does not come with the interpretation and is given as a puzzle to be solve. In the whole Bible, I think only Joseph and Daniel that we read got the interpretation of some dreams. But as Alchemy correctly noted that not all the interpretation were given to Daniel. I will extend also to most other prophets.

The reason God explained and straightened everything out was because this prophecy truly came from God! And God wanted Abraham to know that in about a year Sarah was going to bare him a son and his name was to be Isaac. Isaac, born through a miracle of God, was the child God intended to carry the promise He made to Abraham.

It is true that Abraham spent 12 years with the incorrect understanding that Ishmael was the promised son. Now the birth and life of Ishmael was part of a prophesy also. Abraham had 2 sons, like the Lord had 2 sons. Abraham’s 2 sons were a type & shadow of the Lord’s two sons that Paul explained in Gal 4.

The first son, was birthed by Mama Egypt, was a carnal son that refused to hear the Holy Spirit, received the law outside their body on stones, and tried to keep it with their own vow, will & ability of the flesh. Paul says Ishmael represents the earthly Jerusalem. Also Paul tells us that Ishmael persecuted Isaac. The bible doesn’t tell us in what way, but it was so bad that Ishmael and his mother had to be cast out. The Lord’s second son represents the Overcomers, that constitute the New Jerusalem, and rely on Jesus to keep His vow to write all His laws on their heart via the personal teachings of the Holy Spirit. Also, Paul tells us that the second son represents the New covenant, whereas the first son represents the Old covenant.

I don’t believe the above was reveal to Abraham. Only the part of his understanding was corrected. Only the part that Ishmael was not the promise son when he got the news that Sarah was going to be pregnant. I really doubt that more than that was reveal then. So to say that the Lord corrected everything to Abraham when he got the news Sarah was going to have a son, is a HUGE assumption that is not said in the Bible. For sure Abraham got some more revelation afterwards especially when he offered Isaac as a sacrifice. But I do not believe that Abraham understanding was nearly complete as you are assuming.

Second point to bring out; If God's prophet doesn't understand properly the message God gave him. It is God's responsibility to straighten it out! God must make known what the error is and fix whatever needs to be fixed. And God does that in Genesis 17.

I agree with the highlighted and underlined above, but disagree that everything was corrected and reveal to Abraham about Isaac & Ishmael.

The interpretation rarely comes to the prophet itself, but it is reserve much later on depending on the timing when He will fulfill that prophecy. The fulfillment of prophecies often comes sometimes in the futur generations.

I see this principe in this story of Abraham. Abraham only got the correction of his understanding of the promise son just 1 year prior to the birth of Isaac, but I doubt that much more than that was given to him then. This is what I see standing out in this story.

Blessings
Re: Should we quote EGW? --The Lord Canonized OT & NT -- shouldn't EGW's writings also? [Re: Alchemy] #178205
11/18/15 02:17 AM
11/18/15 02:17 AM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Lately, it seems to have come in vogue to proclaim that God's prophets aren't infallible. Even though this is true, most people really don't realize what this means. Stephen Bohr used this argument to disagree with Ellen White and show what he thought was true contrary to the writings of Ellen White. But, he handled it all wrong.

I am particularly interested in this. I have listened quite a bit to Stephen Bohr and was always struck by his faithfulness to EGW. It would be helpful if you were to provide links to your sources about this particular matter.

///

Re: Should we quote EGW? --The Lord Canonized OT & NT -- shouldn't EGW's writings also? [Re: James Peterson] #178216
11/18/15 07:10 AM
11/18/15 07:10 AM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
Originally Posted By: James Peterson
Lately, it seems to have come in vogue to proclaim that God's prophets aren't infallible. Even though this is true, most people really don't realize what this means. Stephen Bohr used this argument to disagree with Ellen White and show what he thought was true contrary to the writings of Ellen White. But, he handled it all wrong.

I am particularly interested in this. I have listened quite a bit to Stephen Bohr and was always struck by his faithfulness to EGW. It would be helpful if you were to provide links to your sources about this particular matter.

///

I will try to find that and post it here. I believe that was actually discussed in this forum already. I will try to do that for you James.

Re: Should we quote EGW? --The Lord Canonized OT & NT -- shouldn't EGW's writings also? [Re: James Peterson] #178217
11/18/15 07:16 AM
11/18/15 07:16 AM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
According to the evangelical view of Deut. 18:22, Abraham can not be a prophet of God and Abraham's seed can't be promised from God! They don't have any idea what they are talking about ... I hope I was clear.

Maybe you spoke with a member and had not done any ecclesiastical research into the matter. The Baker's Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology has this to say about "prophet, prophetess and prophecy":

Quote:
Psalm 105:14-15, in referring to the patriarchs Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, urged, "do my prophets no harm." Many others could be included in this list of those who exercised this gift prior to the days of Samuel, including Moses, Aaron, Miriam ( Exod 15:20 ), Eldad, Medad, the seventy elders ( Num 11:24-29 ), Balaam (Num. 21-24), Deborah ( Judges 4:4 ), and Minoah and his wife ( Judges 13:3 Judges 13:10 Judges 13:21 ).

///

Hmmm....

My point is this; Evangelicals have long held the position that a true prophet of God must have all their prophecies come to pass or they are not a true prophet of God! If any one of their prophecies fail to come to pass, they are a false prophet.

Is this your understanding of the evangelical view of Deuteronomy 18:22?

Re: Should we quote EGW? --The Lord Canonized OT & NT -- shouldn't EGW's writings also? [Re: Elle] #178220
11/18/15 07:48 AM
11/18/15 07:48 AM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
Elle wrote;

"I agree with the highlighted and underlined above, but disagree that everything was corrected and reveal to Abraham about Isaac & Ishmael. "

My context was clear enough.

Re: Should we quote EGW? --The Lord Canonized OT & NT -- shouldn't EGW's writings also? [Re: Alchemy] #178223
11/18/15 08:53 AM
11/18/15 08:53 AM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
I hope this works James.

This is found in the "New Light" Forum and the discussion is called "Pastor Stephen Bohr finds major error in The Great Controversy".

CLICK HERE - S. Bohr

- or -

http://www.thesourcehh.org/pdf/Contribut...20Rev.%2010.pdf

Sorry James, I can't get the link to work here.

It is actually a chart and article explaining where Pastor Stephen Bohr differs from Ellen White on the seven trumpets in Revelation.

Last edited by Alchemy; 11/18/15 08:56 AM.
Re: Should we quote EGW? --The Lord Canonized OT & NT -- shouldn't EGW's writings also? [Re: Elle] #178228
11/18/15 10:33 AM
11/18/15 10:33 AM
ProdigalOne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024
Supporting Member 2023

Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Elle
1. If you enforced the 28FB to define what constitute a SDA member, you will probably would have to ex-communicate 50% of the attending members or 90%+ of members on the registry.

2. Have you ever been in a business meeting in your Church to review its members registry to do a clean up? I have. In our little Church we have on average less than 15 attending members. In our registry, we have about 100 or more. Our Church doesn't want to remove anyone from its registry unless they are dead. You have to request to be removed, to be taken out. Thus, this shows the Church doesn't want to remove anyone including me.

I don't view this as a bad thing either and I'm in agreement with the Church stand right now about its registry. However, you seem to disagree with the Church stand. Maybe you and MM should do something about it and bring that up to the conference level to change things instead of persecuting the members. So you are not currently in step with the Church whereas I am on that issue.

3. As for myself, I agree that my believes has changed during the last 7 years of my 29 years of being in the Church. I attend no other Church but the SDA Church. I have considered leaving (because of my beliefs changes) and have prayed about it as I want to do what the Lord wants me to do and not what I think I should do. He haven't told me to leave the Church. Actually the last 2 years it became clear to me that He wants me to stay. So I need to obey Him.

However if the Church wants to ex-communicate me then they can do that and I will submit to their requirement and take it that this comes from the Lord(Rom 13).

Originally Posted By: ProdigalOne
By the way Elle, while we are on the topic of "misrepresenting" and "false witness". I'm wondering when you are going to change your profile to match your actual beliefs?

On your profile page, you claim to be a Seventh Day Adventist.
This is clearly not true!

The following is part of a comment I posted on your "Should We Quote EGW?" thread.

You did not reply to me there, perhaps you will do so here?

"Of course, I'm sure you realize that occasionally attending a Seventh Day Adventist Church does not make you a Seventh Day Adventist, anymore than spending time with Christians would qualify as salvation. It is a matter of matching the definition of a Seventh Day Adventist. In this case one must be in agreement with our Fundamental Beliefs. I know back in the eighties, agreement with the Fundamental Beliefs was a requirement for being a baptized member. To my knowledge, this has not changed.

I have just looked over the 28 Fundamental Beliefs with what I have gathered is your doctrinal system in mind. It is now apparent to me that you are not a Seventh Day Adventist. I do apologize for assuming you were.

Here are some of the doctrinal differences you appear to have with the Seventh Day Adventist Church:

Fundamental Belief #18 - Gift of Prophesy

Fundamental Belief #20 - Sabbath

Fundamental Belief #27 - Millenium In Heaven

Please forgive me if I have this wrong as I am not certain about your views on salvation. From what I have seen in some of your other discussions, you appear to believe that everyone will eventually be saved? This conflicts with Fundamental Belief #10 - Experience of Salvation."

I do hope that you decide to rectify your profile's false claim of being a Seventh Day Adventist, Elle. After all, misrepresenting one's faith is one of the worst forms of false witness.

Elle, are you really going to shift the responsibility for you own actions onto the Pastor and board members of the Church you attend? If you cease to meet the definition of a Seventh Day Adventist shouldn't you have the honesty and integrity to resign your membership?

You do realize that non-members are still allowed to attend services? You can still obey what you believe is God's will for you without sinning. Just as you can be honest on your profile here without misrepresenting yourself as a Seventh Day Adventist. You would still be allowed to participate in discussions and everyone would know where you stand.

If the Church leadership knows of your apostasy and does not remove you from the books, that sin is upon their heads. The false witness you give by pretending to meet the membership requirements is upon yours.

As for your claim that 50% of the attending members do not accept the 28 Fundamental Beliefs, it is quite possible that you are correct. This situation will be rectified shortly when the Shaking occurs. As Sister White tells us:

"it (the Shaking) would be caused by the straight testimony called forth by the counsel of the True Witness to the Laodiceans. This will have its effect upon the heart of the receiver, and will lead him to exalt the standard and pour forth the straight truth. Some will not bear this straight testimony. They will rise up against it, and this is what will cause a shaking among God’s people." – {CET 176.1}

(Elle, I realize that you refuse to accept the writings of Ellen White; however, this is still a site for Seventh Day Adventists and those who are friendly towards them. Your lack of faith in "the straight testimony" will not prevent me from quoting from the Spirit of Prophesy)

The unbelieving 50% you speak of will be Shaken out of God's Remnant Church!
I truely hope and pray that you are not among them.

"...I will not forget you.
Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands..."

Isaiah 49:15-16
Re: Should we quote EGW? --The Lord Canonized OT & NT -- shouldn't EGW's writings also? [Re: ProdigalOne] #178232
11/18/15 12:46 PM
11/18/15 12:46 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada

God's remnant church is the SDA denomination? lol
  • "Now having been questioned by the Pharisees as to when the kingdom of God was coming, He answered them and said, "The kingdom of God is not coming with signs to be observed; nor will they say, "Look, here it is!' or, 'There it is!' For behold, the kingdom of God is in your midst.

And He said to the disciples, "The days will come when you will long to see one of the days of the Son of Man, and you will not see it. They will say to you, 'Look there! Look here!' Do not go away, and do not run after them.
    "

Luke 17:20-23

Whatever the process of canonization, whoever is deemed worthy of canonization pales in comparison to the character of God in His children of His Kingdom.

///

Re: Should we quote EGW? --The Lord Canonized OT & NT -- shouldn't EGW's writings also? [Re: James Peterson] #178233
11/18/15 01:08 PM
11/18/15 01:08 PM
ProdigalOne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024
Supporting Member 2023

Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada

///

Home Page - MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE

WELCOMES BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF 
THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH, 
ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!

ATTENTION DARYL!

Are we seriously supposed to believe that James Peterson is a FRIEND
of The Seventh-Day Adventist Church?

Doesn't it seem a bit more likely that he lied on his application form and joined
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers Online for the purpose of antagonistic trolling
and mocking our faith?

"...I will not forget you.
Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands..."

Isaiah 49:15-16
Re: Should we quote EGW? --The Lord Canonized OT & NT -- shouldn't EGW's writings also? [Re: ProdigalOne] #178234
11/18/15 01:18 PM
11/18/15 01:18 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada

///

Home Page - MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE

WELCOMES BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF 
THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH, 
ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!

ATTENTION DARYL!

Are we seriously supposed to believe that James Peterson is a FRIEND
of The Seventh-Day Adventist Church?

Doesn't it seem a bit more likely that he lied on his application form and joined
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers Online for the purpose of antagonistic trolling
and mocking our faith?

NO. But look at this:

Originally Posted By: Acts 7:48-60
... the Most High does not live in houses made by human hands. As the prophet says:

'Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool.
What kind of house will you build for me? says the Lord.
Or where will my resting place be?
Has not my hand made all these things?’

You stiff-necked people! Your hearts and ears are still uncircumcised. You are just like your ancestors: You always resist the Holy Spirit! Was there ever a prophet your ancestors did not persecute? They even killed those who predicted the coming of the Righteous One. And now you have betrayed and murdered him — you who have received the law that was given through angels but have not obeyed it.

When the members of the Sanhedrin heard this, they were furious and gnashed their teeth at him. But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, looked up to heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. “Look,” he said, “I see heaven open and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God.”

At this they covered their ears and, yelling at the top of their voices, they all rushed at him, dragged him out of the city and began to stone him. Meanwhile, the witnesses laid their coats at the feet of a young man named Saul. While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” Then he fell on his knees and cried out, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” When he had said this, he fell asleep."

What do you think about that? Let's discuss the Bible, shall we?

///

Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by TheophilusOne. 04/19/24 11:14 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!