HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 15
Rick H 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,919 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
4th Quarter 2015 - Jeremiah #177225
10/03/15 09:34 PM
10/03/15 09:34 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Here's the link to the study material:

http://www.ssnet.org/lessons/15d/

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: 4th Quarter 2015 - Jeremiah [Re: Daryl] #177482
10/16/15 11:14 PM
10/16/15 11:14 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
The last question in the lesson for this week is timely.

Quote:
It’s so easy from our perspective to look back at sacred history and see all the faults and shortcomings and spiritual deficiencies of God’s people of antiquity. And we should, because we have been told that these stories were written as examples for us (1 Cor. 10:11). The sad thing is, many of these people at the time, in their own context and culture, thought that they were doing the right thing, that they were just fine with the Lord. What warning should that give us about just how blind we can be to our true spiritual state? What are ways we can come to grips with our true spiritual condition? Why must we keep the Cross central to that process? What would happen to us if we didn’t keep it central to our spiritual lives?

The phrase "in their own context and culture" in the middle of that puts some things into perspective. Consider just for a moment what that entails today, and you'll see that we are not so different from those of the past whom we may criticize for their blindness.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Reply Quote
Re: 4th Quarter 2015 - Jeremiah [Re: Daryl] #177490
10/17/15 02:27 AM
10/17/15 02:27 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
You mean events like this?

God had made it their privilege and their duty to enter the land at the time of His appointment, but through their willful neglect that permission had been withdrawn. Satan had gained his object in preventing them from entering Canaan; and now he urged them on to do the very thing, in the face of the divine prohibition, which they had refused to do when God required it. Thus the great deceiver gained the victory by leading them to rebellion the second time. They had distrusted the power of God to work with their efforts in gaining possession of Canaan; yet now they presumed upon their own strength to accomplish the work independent of divine aid. "We have sinned against the Lord," they cried; "we will go up and fight, according to all that the Lord our God commanded us." Deuteronomy 1:41. So terribly blinded had they become by transgression. The Lord had never commanded them to "go up and fight." It was not His purpose that they should gain the land by warfare, but by strict obedience to His commands. {PP 392.3} Some today seems to be blind in thinking Israel was supposed to fight.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Reply Quote
Re: 4th Quarter 2015 - Jeremiah [Re: Green Cochoa] #178084
11/15/15 08:03 AM
11/15/15 08:03 AM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
The last question in the lesson for this week is timely.

Quote:
It’s so easy from our perspective to look back at sacred history and see all the faults and shortcomings and spiritual deficiencies of God’s people of antiquity. And we should, because we have been told that these stories were written as examples for us (1 Cor. 10:11). The sad thing is, many of these people at the time, in their own context and culture, thought that they were doing the right thing, that they were just fine with the Lord. What warning should that give us about just how blind we can be to our true spiritual state? What are ways we can come to grips with our true spiritual condition? Why must we keep the Cross central to that process? What would happen to us if we didn’t keep it central to our spiritual lives?

The phrase "in their own context and culture" in the middle of that puts some things into perspective. Consider just for a moment what that entails today, and you'll see that we are not so different from those of the past whom we may criticize for their blindness.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

I would say we have all the same problems as ancient Israel. When they would talk of the Messiah and His coming, they would not understand the prophecies correctly. We see the same thing with futurism and/or preterism.

The quarterly mentions "keeping the cross central to that process". What does that mean?!? It means understanding the message of the Heavenly Sanctuary! The cross was the beginning of the Atonement, not the completion of it. It means understanding that we are living in the time of the Antitypical Day of Atonement.

If you don't understand all this, you are making the same mistakes ancient Israel were making in the time of Jeremiah. I mean, Jeremiah knew what to expect when Babylon showed up outside Jerusalem and was leaving the city of Jerusalem. The Israelites saw him leaving and captured Jeremiah and threw him in jail. Jeremiah knew the times and events happening and about to happen and we must also.

Reply Quote
Re: 4th Quarter 2015 - Jeremiah [Re: APL] #178122
11/16/15 02:05 AM
11/16/15 02:05 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: APL
Some today seems to be blind in thinking Israel was supposed to fight.

Indeed. Yet they fight on just the same, don't they? Even trying to tell the church that the vote at the GC Session was not valid because some people are said to have made some sort of protest during the voting. Many still fight to see women ordained, when thrice the issue has been addressed at a General Conference Session and voted down. That is one of those "cultural" issues we see in our church today. Many seek to place culture above scripture.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Reply Quote
Re: 4th Quarter 2015 - Jeremiah [Re: Daryl] #178126
11/16/15 05:44 AM
11/16/15 05:44 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: green
Many seek to place culture above scripture.
And have succeeded, 3 times.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Reply Quote
Re: 4th Quarter 2015 - Jeremiah [Re: APL] #178227
11/18/15 09:56 AM
11/18/15 09:56 AM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
Originally Posted By: APL
Originally Posted By: green
Many seek to place culture above scripture.
And have succeeded, 3 times.

Culture doesn't have any place in the Christian walk. We need to understand culture and how to work around culture. But, we shouldn't ever make it a part of our lives. It is very carnal in nature.

Reply Quote
Re: 4th Quarter 2015 - Jeremiah [Re: Daryl] #178652
12/06/15 03:49 AM
12/06/15 03:49 AM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
We found in our SS Class Question #1 from Friday:

http://www.ssnet.org/lessons/15d/less10.html#fri

Quote:
As we saw, Jeremiah told the people to seek the Lord. How do we do that? What if someone were to say to you, I want to know God for myself; how do I find Him? how would you reply?

How would you reply to such a question?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Reply Quote
Re: 4th Quarter 2015 - Jeremiah [Re: Daryl] #178653
12/06/15 05:18 AM
12/06/15 05:18 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Daryl,

I know it should appear like a very simple question, one with a very straightforward answer, but honestly, in today's world I would have to first know more about the asker before I could adequately reply.

1) What is this person's religious background, training, knowledge, and experience?

2) What is the reason the person is now asking this question?

Even Jesus sometimes responded to questions ambiguously--for He knew the heart of the asker and could see the motive which had prompted the question.

My answer would be completely different if I were answering it for one of my Buddhist students who had asked me how to find God because of what he or she had seen from my example versus answering it for the really-should-know-already Adventist who has struggled with being a Christian his or her entire life and yet is still confused on the basic first steps of Christianity.

Both of these are possible where I am. I also have Sunday Christians attending my church regularly who do not yet know the reasons for their faith, nor ours.

One text that I might use for anyone, however, is that of Isaiah chapter 1: "Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool." To the Buddhist/ignorant of God, I would further add personal testimony support for the benefit of reading the Bible and letting the Holy Spirit speak through it, teaching me about God. To the older Christian who still doesn't understand, I might have more practical advice depending on his or her background. To some I might suggest devoting a year to missions work or colporteuring as an experience in getting to know God. To others I might suggest that they focus on cleaning up the stains of sin, present and past, in their lives, making sure to forgive anyone with whom they may have held a grudge. God will listen to truly repentant prayers, but repentance is not a belief, it's an action. When we've done all on our part, God is happy to step in and do His part--giving us peace, joy, and love to replace the former negative feelings and attitudes.

To know God is to love Him. The Bible says "O taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man that trusteth in him." I believe that "tasting" involves experience. It's something each one needs for himself or herself.

God bless,

Green Cochoa.

Reply Quote
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!