HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,566
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 11
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (ProdigalOne, 1 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
And now . . . GMO people! #179222
02/01/16 02:25 PM
02/01/16 02:25 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Yes, we now have a country officially authorizing a woman and her team to genetically modify/engineer human embryos.

This is truly a sign of the times.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spea...-human-embryos/

I'd hate to be part of the "next generation" of people who have to worry about the potential for having GMO spouses in addition to their GMO foods.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: And now . . . GMO people! [Re: Green Cochoa] #179224
02/01/16 04:26 PM
02/01/16 04:26 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Yes, we now have a country officially authorizing a woman and her team to genetically modify/engineer human embryos.

I'd hate to be part of the "next generation" of people who have to worry about the potential for having GMO spouses in addition to their GMO foods.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Is GMO a sin?

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: And now . . . GMO people! [Re: Green Cochoa] #179225
02/01/16 04:50 PM
02/01/16 04:50 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Is that anything like finding out you're married to a spouse who decides they are the same sex as you?

Re: And now . . . GMO people! [Re: Green Cochoa] #179226
02/01/16 05:01 PM
02/01/16 05:01 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
APL, if this is a precise thing now, why the mutations?

What's really fearful, is they somehow recognized some, but can they recognize all mutations? Maybe not quite as bad as the shotgun approach, but still a gamble.

Re: And now . . . GMO people! [Re: APL] #179271
02/04/16 01:19 AM
02/04/16 01:19 AM
ProdigalOne  Online Content
SDA
Active Member 2024
Supporting Member 2023

Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: APL

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Is GMO a sin?

“You are to keep My statutes. You must not crossbreed two different kinds of your livestock, sow your fields with two kinds of seed, or put on a garment made of two kinds of material." Leviticus 19:19

I would say that Genetic Modification is "crossbreeding" on steroids!

"...I will not forget you.
Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands..."

Isaiah 49:15-16
Re: And now . . . GMO people! [Re: ProdigalOne] #179285
02/04/16 01:59 PM
02/04/16 01:59 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: ProdigalOne

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Is GMO a sin?

“You are to keep My statutes. You must not crossbreed two different kinds of your livestock, sow your fields with two kinds of seed, or put on a garment made of two kinds of material." Leviticus 19:19

Leviticus 25:3-5 Six years you shall sow your field, and six years you shall prune your vineyard, and gather in the fruit thereof; 4 But in the seventh year shall be a sabbath of rest to the land, a sabbath for the LORD: you shall neither sow your field, nor prune your vineyard. 5 That which grows of its own accord of your harvest you shall not reap, neither gather the grapes of your vine undressed: for it is a year of rest to the land.

Do you keep every 7th year as a Sabbath Rick? How about the Jubilee? Is GMO a transgression of the Law of God? Are we all transgressors because we do not keep the Sabbatical year?

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: And now . . . GMO people! [Re: APL] #179286
02/04/16 03:04 PM
02/04/16 03:04 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Leviticus 25:3-5 Six years you shall sow your field, and six years you shall prune your vineyard, and gather in the fruit thereof; 4 But in the seventh year shall be a sabbath of rest to the land, a sabbath for the LORD: you shall neither sow your field, nor prune your vineyard. 5 That which grows of its own accord of your harvest you shall not reap, neither gather the grapes of your vine undressed: for it is a year of rest to the land.

Do you keep every 7th year as a Sabbath Rick? How about the Jubilee? Is GMO a transgression of the Law of God? Are we all transgressors because we do not keep the Sabbatical year?

APL,

The yearly rest was not for people, but rather for land. That's evident in the text. Perhaps you have not studied into the core principles of organic farming. Organic farmers know, or should know, that having that year of rest means the ground will be more fertile and productive. It is part of a good crop-rotation plan. It probably has little or nothing to do with the GMO discussion, other than to highlight the fact that the natural way is God's way, and is best for success, health, and happiness.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: And now . . . GMO people! [Re: Green Cochoa] #179287
02/04/16 04:18 PM
02/04/16 04:18 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: green
It probably has little or nothing to do with the GMO discussion
My question was is GMO a sin. Rick brought up Leviticus 19 implying what Green? I'll let you answer that to yourself. I bring another scripture reference which also has sewing of the land involved and few people observe, is that a sin Green? The land rest was not for people you say, yet Israel went into captivity for 70 years because they did not observe the Sabbatical year and give the land its rest. Was that the land's fault? Is GMO a sin?

Re: And now . . . GMO people! [Re: Green Cochoa] #179289
02/04/16 04:25 PM
02/04/16 04:25 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
APL,

Since you asked, I believe GMO is a sin, yes. I also happen to believe that old Levitical law about not eating swine still applies. I'm not a farmer, but if I were, I think I would be allowing the land to lie fallow as the Bible prescribes, one year in seven. Farmers these days rotate fields in doing that. Perhaps the Jews all let their lands have rest in the very same year--in which it would have only been a miracle from God that they were all fed of the land in that year. In their system, occasionally the land rested two consecutive years, as well.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: And now . . . GMO people! [Re: Green Cochoa] #179295
02/04/16 07:35 PM
02/04/16 07:35 PM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
I may be venturing into a field of hot debate, but I do have some opinion on the matter that are not the conventional ideas in this world.

Ellen White has been mightily criticized for something she wrote:

Quote:
But if there was one sin above another which called for the destruction of the race by the flood, it was the base crime of amalgamation of man and beast which defaced the image of God, and caused confusion everywhere. {1SP 69.1}

Every species of animals which God had created was preserved in the ark. The confused species which God did not create, which were the result of amalgamation, were destroyed by the flood. Since the flood, there has been amalgamation of man and beast, {1SP 78.2}

There is such a thing as "natural amalgamation" which happens naturally in nature. But I don't believe that is what EGW is talking about.

She isn't just talking about varieties within a species, she is talking about confused species.

Contrary to evolutionist thinking, the pre flood people were the most intelligent human beings that ever lived. They had more than 900 years to fill their computer like minds with data, and unlike computers they could reason and plan and devise.
Originally Posted By: EGW
God had given these men knowledge. He had given them valuable ideas, that they might carry out His plan. But the Lord saw that those whom He designed should possess wisdom, tact, and judgment, were using every quality of the mind to glorify self. By the waters of the Flood, He blotted this long-lived race from the earth, and with them perished the knowledge they had used only for evil. When the earth was repeopled, the Lord trusted His wisdom more sparingly to men, giving them only the ability they would need in carrying out His great plan. {CC 34.3}

I believe they practiced what scientists are now starting to do -- play with genetics. Modify God's creation genetically.
Were the Nephilim, a product of this?

Apparently this was also tried soon after the flood, probably by the descendants Ham-Cush-Nimrod and stopped from progressing by the tower of Babel ordeal. Could well be one of the reasons Israel was charged to destroy all the Canaanites some of which were Nephilim

This amalgamation is called "a sin above others" and "a base crime".

Re: And now . . . GMO people! [Re: Green Cochoa] #179298
02/04/16 08:34 PM
02/04/16 08:34 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Guess what Dedication - Genesis 3 is telling us what will happen because of sin. It is sin that causes thorns and thistles to come up. The snake lost its legs and ended up crawling on its belly because of sin. It is sin that increases the pain of women in child birth.

Christ never planted the seeds of death in the system. Satan planted these seeds when he tempted Adam to eat of the tree of knowledge, which meant disobedience to God. Not one noxious plant was placed in the Lord's great garden, but after Adam and Eve sinned, poisonous herbs sprang up. In the parable of the sower the question was asked the master, "Didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? From whence then hath it tares?" The master answered, "An enemy hath done this." [Matthew 13:27, 28.] All tares are sown by the evil one. Every noxious herb is of his sowing, and by his ingenious methods of amalgamation he has corrupted the earth with tares. {Ms65-1899}

Re: And now . . . GMO people! [Re: Green Cochoa] #179305
02/05/16 04:12 AM
02/05/16 04:12 AM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
So do you agree that humans practiced genetic manipulation prior to the flood -- amalgamation?

Your quote indicates that Satan most likely did -- and probably inspired people to do it too.

The quote I shared suggests it was people practicing genetic manipulation prior to the flood. It says this was a sin above others -- a base crime --

Now people are doing it again --
As it was in the days of Noah.....
Another sign we are in the final time.

Re: And now . . . GMO people! [Re: Green Cochoa] #179312
02/05/16 11:55 AM
02/05/16 11:55 AM
ProdigalOne  Online Content
SDA
Active Member 2024
Supporting Member 2023

Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada

Do you think the dinosaurs and other extinct gigantic creatures were the result of antediluvian genetic manipulation?

"...I will not forget you.
Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands..."

Isaiah 49:15-16
Re: And now . . . GMO people! [Re: ProdigalOne] #179313
02/05/16 12:13 PM
02/05/16 12:13 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient

Do you think the dinosaurs and other extinct gigantic creatures were the result of antediluvian genetic manipulation?

It is quite possible, yes. However, God may have created some of those. We cannot know how many were of divine origin and how many may have been a result of man's tinkering. We do know that God allowed those to perish at the Flood.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
... There were a class of very large animals which perished at the flood. God knew that the strength of man would decrease, and these mammoth animals could not be controlled by feeble man. {4aSG 121.2}

The question of the meaning of "amalgamation" is at the heart of the interpretation of the following passage.

But if there was one sin above another which called for the destruction of the race by the flood, it was the base crime of amalgamation of man and beast which defaced the image of God, and caused confusion everywhere. God purposed to destroy by a flood that powerful, long-lived race that had corrupted their ways before him. He would not suffer them to live out the days of their natural life, which would be hundreds of years. It was only a few generations back when Adam had access to that tree which was to prolong life. After his disobedience he was not suffered to eat of the tree of life and perpetuate a life of sin. In order for man to possess an endless life he must continue to eat of the fruit of the tree of life. Deprived of that tree, his life would gradually wear out. {1SP 69.1}

I personally believe that it means genetic tampering on man's part with mixing man and beast (something happening today again) and beasts of differing kinds, which Genesis 1 does not sanction. I support that view from the following passage.

Every species of animals which God had created was preserved in the ark. The confused species which God did not create, which were the result of amalgamation, were destroyed by the flood. Since the flood, there has been amalgamation of man and beast, as may be seen in the almost endless varieties of species of animals, and in certain races of men. {1SP 78.2}

Therefore, some of those species were ones that God had not invented Himself, but were "confused species." Therefore, man had tinkered with them via amalgamation. For us to understand this properly, the word "amalgamation" must also apply to "man and beast" as well. If amalgamation creates "confused species," and if mankind is all of one "race" or "specied" (Homo sapiens, according to scientists), then there must be "certain races of men" that have some animal DNA in their heritage. This is HIGHLY controversial (and will probably tend to sidetrack this entire thread into another "amalgamation" debate), and Mrs. White does not elucidate further. But the evidence is there for those who are willing to stomach it.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: And now . . . GMO people! [Re: Green Cochoa] #179315
02/05/16 01:38 PM
02/05/16 01:38 PM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
This may have already been said but the reason genetic manipulation is diabolical is that it assumes the prerogatives of the Creator. We as created beings have no more authority to change what God created than we have authority to change the Sabbath or any of the other commandments.

Re: And now . . . GMO people! [Re: Green Cochoa] #179316
02/05/16 01:44 PM
02/05/16 01:44 PM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
If we do usurp that authority the results will be the same: death and decay. I won't be surprised if we find that the unhealing sores that afflict those with the mark of the beast are the result of ingesting GMO foods. I'm not saying that will definitely be the cause, but only that it could well be.

Re: And now . . . GMO people! [Re: Green Cochoa] #179367
02/08/16 06:27 AM
02/08/16 06:27 AM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Hideous and frightening.

Now is not a good time to have children.

Re: And now . . . GMO people! [Re: Charity] #179368
02/08/16 06:29 AM
02/08/16 06:29 AM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
Originally Posted By: Mark Shipowick
This may have already been said but the reason genetic manipulation is diabolical is that it assumes the prerogatives of the Creator. We as created beings have no more authority to change what God created than we have authority to change the Sabbath or any of the other commandments.

Excellent post, Mark.

Re: And now . . . GMO people! [Re: ProdigalOne] #179374
02/08/16 03:11 PM
02/08/16 03:11 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland

Are garments of two kinds cross breeding or is it a sin?

Green, what does it mean to let the land rest? What are the conditions, when people allow it to "rest"?

Re: And now . . . GMO people! [Re: Charity] #179375
02/08/16 05:22 PM
02/08/16 05:22 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: Mark Shipowick
Certain forms of Muscular Distrophy are caused by copy number variation. Are you saying that if we have a way to disable or remove some of these extra copies of genes and prevent the disease that it would be sin? Are you saying that God created this disease? What causes copy number variation, God's design?

Re: And now . . . GMO people! [Re: kland] #179376
02/08/16 10:12 PM
02/08/16 10:12 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
kland,

The Bible twice mentions "fallow ground," where "fallow" can mean tillable, un-tilled land. In modern terms, fallow can mean plowed land that is not sown, just left empty. Which form of "fallow" the Bible may speak of is unclear to me, but I would think it meant simply leaving the land alone, unworked. The land was to have a "sabbath." The Bible speaks of eating that which grew of itself upon it, so apparently it was not just plowed down to bare dirt.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: And now . . . GMO people! [Re: Green Cochoa] #179401
02/12/16 06:38 PM
02/12/16 06:38 PM
D
daylily  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2022

USA
We grow a little over 30,000 sq ft of vegetable gardens and yes, we let one seventh of our garden space rest every year. By rest, I mean we don't plant anything on that portion and just let the weeds grow. We cut them down before they go to seed. These weeds are able to bring up minerals from the subsoil to enrich the topsoil for future crops.

Re: And now . . . GMO people! [Re: Green Cochoa] #179455
02/17/16 02:55 AM
02/17/16 02:55 AM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
We may not even need scientists deliberately changing human genetics. Feed people enough chemicals and something in the genetics changes.

In Brazil there is an outbreak of microcephaly -- babies born with unusual tiny heads and brains.

Why?

Well there are differing opinions, but the most plausible is:

"According to the Physicians in Crop-Sprayed Towns (PCST), a chemical larvicide that produces malformations in mosquitoes was injected into Brazil's water supplies in 2014 in order to stop the development of mosquito larvae in drinking water tanks."

"The chemical, which is known as Pyriproxyfen, was used in a massive government-run program tasked to control the mosquito population in the country."

"Malformations detected in thousands of children from pregnant women living in areas where the Brazilian state added pyriproxyfen to drinking water is not a coincidence," the PCST wrote pdf in the report."

Re: And now . . . GMO people! [Re: dedication] #179456
02/17/16 07:08 AM
02/17/16 07:08 AM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
Originally Posted By: dedication
We may not even need scientists deliberately changing human genetics. Feed people enough chemicals and something in the genetics changes.

In Brazil there is an outbreak of microcephaly -- babies born with unusual tiny heads and brains.

Why?

Well there are differing opinions, but the most plausible is:

"According to the Physicians in Crop-Sprayed Towns (PCST), a chemical larvicide that produces malformations in mosquitoes was injected into Brazil's water supplies in 2014 in order to stop the development of mosquito larvae in drinking water tanks."

"The chemical, which is known as Pyriproxyfen, was used in a massive government-run program tasked to control the mosquito population in the country."

"Malformations detected in thousands of children from pregnant women living in areas where the Brazilian state added pyriproxyfen to drinking water is not a coincidence," the PCST wrote pdf in the report."

(bold emphasis mine)

Almost everything is being contaminated these days. We are killing ourselves and few are doing anything about it. This might sound bad, but, God really needs to come very soon.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/11/24 12:20 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!