HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,566
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 11
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (ProdigalOne, 1 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Pope Claims Christ Sinned! [Re: Alchemy] #179752
03/12/16 09:07 PM
03/12/16 09:07 PM
ProdigalOne  Online Content OP
SDA
Active Member 2024
Supporting Member 2023

Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
Alchemy said:

"It seems James wants to interpret Pope Francis his own way. Well, he can do that.

But, I simply take Pope Francis at his word."

I do wish James would come clean. I would love to know what church he attends each Sunday. Catholic would seem to be the obvious choice, but some of the other denominations, particularly the Charismatic ones, have become extremely militant in their pro-Catholic views. The ecumenical movement is hard at work!

"...I will not forget you.
Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands..."

Isaiah 49:15-16
Re: Pope Claims Christ Sinned! [Re: ProdigalOne] #179767
03/13/16 11:49 AM
03/13/16 11:49 AM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
Originally Posted By: ProdigalOne
Alchemy said:

"It seems James wants to interpret Pope Francis his own way. Well, he can do that.

But, I simply take Pope Francis at his word."

I do wish James would come clean. I would love to know what church he attends each Sunday. Catholic would seem to be the obvious choice, but some of the other denominations, particularly the Charismatic ones, have become extremely militant in their pro-Catholic views. The ecumenical movement is hard at work!

If I remember correctly, I think James once said he was Seventh-day Adventist. I believe that was proven false, though.

Re: Pope Claims Christ Sinned! [Re: ProdigalOne] #180568
05/14/16 11:08 PM
05/14/16 11:08 PM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
It is amazing that evangelical Christians don't show any great abhorrence for what this pope says. I know I posted an interview where we hear some remarks about Pope Francis I. But, not much.

Let the Seventh-day Adventist Church talk like that and see what happens.

Protestantism needs to learn how to protest again.

Re: Pope Claims Christ Sinned! [Re: ProdigalOne] #180589
05/21/16 11:27 AM
05/21/16 11:27 AM
SDA
Active Member 2024
Supporting Member 2023

Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
Amen to that!

The evangelicals seem to be enthralled by the spirit of this time and place. How can so many sincere souls be so hoodwinked? They see a harmless, saintly, old man talking about unity, compromise, and acceptance. How is it they do not see the arrogance of this usurper of God's throne? How can they not hear the insults to Christ, the veiled threats against all who would follow God, the echo of millions upon millions of murdered innocents reverberating down through the ages, the promise that Rome does not change? How can they not see what is coming?

It's easy to forget that the physical world is not all there is:

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high [places]." Ephesians 6:12

There are dark spiritual forces that work to deceive, to turn eyes and ears away from the urgent warnings of God.

Re: Pope Claims Christ Sinned! [Re: ProdigalOne] #180590
05/21/16 08:08 PM
05/21/16 08:08 PM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
I agree Prodigal that the Pope made a serious mistake that can't be explained away by saying that Jesus would merely be showing humility by confessing his wrong. An "escapade" that required Jesus to ask forgiveness from his parents puts Jesus in a false light. The scriptures say clearly that Christ was "that holy thing" that He knew no sin, that in Him was light and no darkness at all and to the Jews Christ asked "Which of you convinceth me of sin?" John 8:46 If the Pope had read the account and accepted it as it reads he would have seen that in answer to Mary's intended gentle rebuke Jesus, rather than apologizing replied: "How is it that ye sought me? Wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?" Luke 2:49.

But my understanding is that the Pope did not bind the church by his falsehood because he wasn't speaking ex cathedra; that is he wasn't making a doctrinal pronouncement but only giving his personal opinion. But as leader of probably the largest world denomination and as someone who has studied the word of God he is accountable to God for this betrayal of the trust of his flock.

Re: Pope Claims Christ Sinned! [Re: Alchemy] #180592
05/22/16 12:33 AM
05/22/16 12:33 AM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Alchemy
It is amazing that evangelical Christians don't show any great abhorrence for what this pope says.

Because they have learnt the nuances of language and can intelligently understand statements in context. Essentially, they have grown up; and do not raise false alarms like naive little school boys.

///

Re: Pope Claims Christ Sinned! [Re: Charity] #180598
05/22/16 07:13 PM
05/22/16 07:13 PM
SDA
Active Member 2024
Supporting Member 2023

Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Mark Shipowick
I agree Prodigal that the Pope made a serious mistake that can't be explained away by saying that Jesus would merely be showing humility by confessing his wrong. An "escapade" that required Jesus to ask forgiveness from his parents puts Jesus in a false light. The scriptures say clearly that Christ was "that holy thing" that He knew no sin, that in Him was light and no darkness at all and to the Jews Christ asked "Which of you convinceth me of sin?" John 8:46 If the Pope had read the account and accepted it as it reads he would have seen that in answer to Mary's intended gentle rebuke Jesus, rather than apologizing replied: "How is it that ye sought me? Wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?" Luke 2:49.

But my understanding is that the Pope did not bind the church by his falsehood because he wasn't speaking ex cathedra; that is he wasn't making a doctrinal pronouncement but only giving his personal opinion. But as leader of probably the largest world denomination and as someone who has studied the word of God he is accountable to God for this betrayal of the trust of his flock.

You may be right, Mark. Papal infallibility is a muddy doctrine. Some definitions claim the pope must declare he is defining, ex cathedra, a doctrine and that the church is therefore bound to believe his definition. Others state that he merely has to define a doctrine in his capacity as "shepherd and teacher of all Christians". I found one claim that only when the pope is sitting are his pronouncements infallible: since ex cathedra literally means "from the chair". (that last one is my favorite!)

Re: Pope Claims Christ Sinned! [Re: ProdigalOne] #180608
05/24/16 03:41 PM
05/24/16 03:41 PM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Actually it was the parents that sinned. It was their responsibility to take care of the child, Jesus, but they were so engrossed with their own things, that they lost sight of Jesus.
Jesus was still in the same place where they had left Him.

In this is an important lesson for us --
it is so easy to get engrossed with our things that we too loose sight of Jesus, and sometimes it takes a lot of prayerful searching to find Him again.

I agree that the Pope was presenting this event all wrong.

But what about some Adventists who are so intent on elevating human righteousness to the same level as Christ's righteousness that they insist Christ had the same carnal nature that we are born with, and had to overcome it. If they allow no difference in Christ's nature, they are by default (even if they deny it) saying that Christ had sin in His life that He had to overcome.

Re: Pope Claims Christ Sinned! [Re: ProdigalOne] #180629
05/25/16 05:37 PM
05/25/16 05:37 PM
SDA
Active Member 2024
Supporting Member 2023

Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
I'm not sure I understand, dedication. How does Christ overcoming carnal nature equate with elevating human righteousness to the same level as His? Even if we overcome our carnal nature, we will still have lost to it at some point: "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God".

Only Jesus has achieved a righteousness that has never been defeated.
Our so called overcoming is merely a faint shadow of the perfection of Christ.

"For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as [we are, yet] without sin."
Hebrews 4:15

Is it possible to be "in all points tempted like as [we are]" without a carnal nature?

Also, is it a sin to be tempted by one's carnal nature if by the grace of God every battle is won and the humanly inherited nature is overcome?

Re: Pope Claims Christ Sinned! [Re: ProdigalOne] #180645
05/27/16 06:51 AM
05/27/16 06:51 AM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Not sure I understand your questions.

I don't believe Christ had a carnal nature.
To believe Christ had a carnal nature implies that He had sin, which is worse than what the pope just said.
I've been in churches where some believed Christ was exactly like us -- the discussions got quite heated, and very evident that they wanted a Christ who had a lot of sin inside himself that He needed to overcome. Of course they claimed that the sin never manifested itself in actions, therefore they still claimed they believed Christ never sinned. However, their idea of a sinless Saviour was totally destroyed by their insistence that He had all this sin inside Himself in the same way humans have sin inside.

By dragging Christ down to our level of "sinful nature" people can then elevate their own righteousness, saying, well Christ had to battle this tendency as well, so I don't feel so bad about it.

When we drag Christ down to our level, we drag down the standard. Then we see in Christ a man struggling against sin, not a perfect life.

Christ didn't have to be "born again" -- He didn't have to overcome a carnal nature. He abhorred sin, it pained Him. He had the spiritual nature from the beginning.

I agree with you that our "overcoming" is but a faint shadow of the perfection of Christ.

There are three natures --
1.The carnal nature, the nature at enmity against God and His law.
2.The natural human nature, the human nature with legitimate needs and desires, that aren't sinful in themselves, but can become sinful.
3.The spiritual nature, which comes only when a person is in connection with God.

We are born with both a natural and carnal nature.
Our carnal state turns our natural needs and desires into sinful thoughts and actions. We must be born again, of the Spirit, to newness of life, only then can we even begin the spiritual walk.

Christ was born with both a natural and spiritual nature.
His spiritual nature, always in connection with His Father, kept his natural human needs and desires under the will of Father, at all times.

There is a dual nature here, Christ's spiritual nature is sinless, yet he takes on human FLESH with all the consequences that sin has wrecked on the human body. His spiritual nature does not possess the evil passions common to the carnal, sinful nature. The carnal nature is compatible to evil, Christ's spiritual nature recoils from evil.

How then can He be tempted in all points as we are?

-- He was tempted FAR MORE than we are.

Sin, when broken down to it's basic reality, is basically the desire to be our own "gods". It is defying God's authority, and doing what we please.

Christ took humanity, and it was agreed in the councils of God, that He would live as a human and not use His Divinity, but place Himself totally under the will of the Father and do only that which the Father commissioned Him to do.

Quote:
RH.1875-04-01
It was a difficult task for the Prince of Life to carry out the plan which he had undertaken for the salvation of man, in clothing his divinity with humanity. He had received honor in the heavenly courts, and was familiar with absolute power. It was as difficult for him to keep the level of humanity as it is for men to rise above the low level of their depraved natures, and be partakers of the divine nature.

Christ was put to the closest test, requiring the strength of all his faculties to resist the inclination when in danger, to use his power to deliver himself from peril, and triumph over the power of the prince of darkness. Satan showed his knowledge of the weak points of the human heart, and put forth his utmost power to take advantage of the weakness of the humanity which Christ had assumed in order to overcome his temptations on man's account.

Satan's temptations to Jesus was to try and get Jesus to step out of that role.
He does the same with us -- though for us it's kind of silly for us to think we can be our own "god". But for Christ, it was NOT silly. He WAS GOD, fully divine.
But He must put aside His former power and glory, and live as a man, doing the will of the Father in heaven.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/11/24 12:20 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!