HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,186 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? #180419
04/29/16 09:59 AM
04/29/16 09:59 AM
Rick H  Offline
OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
..or why isn't it laid out directly?

Because its not stated in many declarations of the Commandments in many of the New Testament text on is such as the rich young ruler or others, some claim that the Sabbath doesnt exist anymore because Christ didnt teach it or repeat it as part of the Commandments, so what did Jesus say?

According to the following verse I’d say that Christ had every intention that His Sabbath would still be observed after His death:

Matthew 24:20 - But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:

The context of this verse is that Christ was warning the disciples about the destruction of Jerusalem, which occurred in 70 AD at the hands of the Roman army. Christ prophesied that this event would happen and it did (Christ is never wrong). Why would Christ be concerned that people observe the Sabbath day at a time that would have been about 40 years after His death if His death was supposed to abolish it? Simple, He wouldn’t be concerned if that were the case – but since the Sabbath, like all His Commandments last forever, He was very concerned and told them to pray concerning it.

Also, the Holy Spirit expressly calls it the “Sabbath day” in Acts 13:14. Aren’t the words of the Holy Spirit good enough since the Holy Spirit is the one who now convicts us of our sin?

Christ clearly taught that "the sabbath was made for man." Mark 2:27. The fact is that Adam was the only man in existence at the time God made the Sabbath. Jesus was the One who made the Sabbath in the first week of time. There was a reason for His claim to be Lord of the Sabbath day (Mark 2:28). If He is the Lord of the Sabbath day, then the Sabbath must be the Lord's day. John had a vision on "the Lord's day," according to Revelation 1:10. That day had to be the Sabbath. It is the only day so designated and claimed by God in the Bible. In writing the Ten Commandments, God called it "the sabbath of the Lord." Exodus 20:10. In Isaiah He is quoted as saying, "The sabbath, My holy day." (Isaiah 58:13).

We must not overlook the fact that this God who created the world and made the Sabbath was Jesus Christ Himself. John wrote: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.... And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us,(and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father), full of grace and truth." John 1:1-3, 14.

Paul clearly identified Jesus as the Creator, "... his dear Son: In whom we have redemption through his blood.... For by him were all things created." Colossians 1:13-16.
For Christians to separate Jesus from the Sabbath, who made it as the Creator for man, is wrong.

Mary, Christ’s mother, observed the Sabbath “according to the commandment” after Christ’s death.(See Luke 23:56) And I don't think anyone would argue that Mary was most certainly Christian.

The Sabbath commandment did not have to be repeated because the people to whom Jesus Christ and the apostles taught and preached would never have let it cross their minds that it needed to be repeated. It was foremost in their minds every Sabbath.

Jesus Christ and the apostles lived and taught in a culture that definitely knew about and kept the Sabbath. Jesus’ confrontations with the Pharisees were over how to observe the Sabbath, never over whether to observe it as the Pharisees had twisted it with all their oral traditions and rules.

Christ clearly shows He did not abolish it in Matthew 5:17...

"17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil."

Then we see Christ say what people have done in following 'tradition' and not God, Mark 7:6-9...

"6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.
7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition..."

Christ the Creator of man and the Sabbath and Writer of the 10 Commandments with His own finger was the Lord of the Sabbath, and made it for us, Mark 2:27-28.....

"27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:
28 Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath."

But why would Jesus not just say it directly and save us all the headaches, questions and issues that have arisen on the observance of the Sabbath?

Last edited by Rick H; 04/29/16 10:05 AM.
Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: Rick H] #180435
05/01/16 04:15 AM
05/01/16 04:15 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: rick
But why would Jesus not just say it directly and save us all the headaches, questions and issues that have arisen on the observance of the Sabbath?
Did Noah keep the Sabbath? Abraham? We have Genesis 2, but no word about the Sabbath until Exodus 16, no explicit command to keep the Sabbath. Is that not the same issue you have in the NT?

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: Rick H] #180440
05/02/16 08:35 AM
05/02/16 08:35 AM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
Originally Posted By: Rick H

Because its not stated in many declarations of the Commandments in many of the New Testament text on is such as the rich young ruler or others, some claim that the Sabbath doesnt exist anymore because Christ didnt teach it or repeat it as part of the Commandments, so what did Jesus say?

According to the following verse I’d say that Christ had every intention that His Sabbath would still be observed after His death:

Matthew 24:20 - But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:

The context of this verse is that Christ was warning the disciples about the destruction of Jerusalem, which occurred in 70 AD at the hands of the Roman army. Christ prophesied that this event would happen and it did (Christ is never wrong). Why would Christ be concerned that people observe the Sabbath day at a time that would have been about 40 years after His death if His death was supposed to abolish it? Simple, He wouldn’t be concerned if that were the case – but since the Sabbath, like all His Commandments last forever, He was very concerned and told them to pray concerning it.

Also, the Holy Spirit expressly calls it the “Sabbath day” in Acts 13:14. Aren’t the words of the Holy Spirit good enough since the Holy Spirit is the one who now convicts us of our sin?

Christ clearly taught that "the sabbath was made for man." Mark 2:27. The fact is that Adam was the only man in existence at the time God made the Sabbath. Jesus was the One who made the Sabbath in the first week of time. There was a reason for His claim to be Lord of the Sabbath day (Mark 2:28). If He is the Lord of the Sabbath day, then the Sabbath must be the Lord's day. John had a vision on "the Lord's day," according to Revelation 1:10. That day had to be the Sabbath. It is the only day so designated and claimed by God in the Bible. In writing the Ten Commandments, God called it "the sabbath of the Lord." Exodus 20:10. In Isaiah He is quoted as saying, "The sabbath, My holy day." (Isaiah 58:13).

We must not overlook the fact that this God who created the world and made the Sabbath was Jesus Christ Himself. John wrote: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.... And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us,(and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father), full of grace and truth." John 1:1-3, 14.

Paul clearly identified Jesus as the Creator, "... his dear Son: In whom we have redemption through his blood.... For by him were all things created." Colossians 1:13-16.
For Christians to separate Jesus from the Sabbath, who made it as the Creator for man, is wrong.

Mary, Christ’s mother, observed the Sabbath “according to the commandment” after Christ’s death.(See Luke 23:56) And I don't think anyone would argue that Mary was most certainly Christian.

The Sabbath commandment did not have to be repeated because the people to whom Jesus Christ and the apostles taught and preached would never have let it cross their minds that it needed to be repeated. It was foremost in their minds every Sabbath.

Jesus Christ and the apostles lived and taught in a culture that definitely knew about and kept the Sabbath. Jesus’ confrontations with the Pharisees were over how to observe the Sabbath, never over whether to observe it as the Pharisees had twisted it with all their oral traditions and rules.

"17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil."

Then we see Christ say what people have done in following 'tradition' and not God, Mark 7:6-9...

"6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.
7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition..."

Christ the Creator of man and the Sabbath and Writer of the 10 Commandments with His own finger was the Lord of the Sabbath, and made it for us, Mark 2:27-28.....

"27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

(bold emphasis mine)

I would like to add that the first seventh day Sabbath at the end of creation was Adam's second day of existence. Adam had not been alive for seven days, but, he kept the seventh day Sabbath with the rest of creation.

I do believe all of creation kept that Sabbath with Adam and Eve. And that we should find a certain oneness with the rest of creation as we rest on that day.

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: APL] #180443
05/02/16 10:20 AM
05/02/16 10:20 AM
Rick H  Offline
OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: APL
Did Noah keep the Sabbath? Abraham? We have Genesis 2, but no word about the Sabbath until Exodus 16, no explicit command to keep the Sabbath. Is that not the same issue you have in the NT?

You do not know your Bible my brother..

Genesis 4:3 King James Version (KJV)

3 And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the Lord.

Verse 3. - And in process of time. Literally, at the end of the days, i.e. or the last day of the week, seventh day, the Sabbath.

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: Rick H] #180446
05/02/16 05:50 PM
05/02/16 05:50 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada

Christians everywhere (whether Roman Catholic, Protestant, Evangelical or other) avow the importance of the Decalogue and its relevance today, including the commandment to keep the Sabbath day holy. "Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment?" is therefore moot: the controversy is not over the commandment per se, but over the day. Some say it ought to be Saturday, others say it could be Sunday. Does it matter?

///

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: Rick H] #180448
05/02/16 06:25 PM
05/02/16 06:25 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: APL

You do not know your Bible my brother..

Genesis 4:3 King James Version (KJV)

3 And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the Lord.

Verse 3. - And in process of time. Literally, at the end of the days, i.e. or the last day of the week, seventh day, the Sabbath.
Rick - I know that verse very well, thanks. Our Evangelical friends will point out that it does not say SABBATH. They will also point out that there is no "commandment" until the book of Exodus, but they overlook Exodus 16 and Exodus 5, and yet Sabbath is "ONE" interpretation of Gen. 4. Yes, I believe that the Patriarchs knew and kept the Sabbath, but, where is the commandment? Same issue. Yes, we can see that the Week was well know in Genesis from other verses.

Last edited by APL; 05/02/16 08:42 PM.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: James Peterson] #180453
05/03/16 01:04 PM
05/03/16 01:04 PM
ProdigalOne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024
Supporting Member 2023

Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: James Peterson

Christians everywhere (whether Roman Catholic, Protestant, Evangelical or other) avow the importance of the Decalogue and its relevance today, including the commandment to keep the Sabbath day holy. "Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment?" is therefore moot: the controversy is not over the commandment per se, but over the day. Some say it ought to be Saturday, others say it could be Sunday. Does it matter?

///

I agree, whether the Commandment is repeated in the New Testament or not is irrelevant. The fact is that "the Law of the Lord is perfect". The Ten Commandments have always defined sin. Since God does not change, His definition of sin has not and will never change.

"Does it matter" what particular day we choose, the first or the seventh?

Let's look at the beginning of the fourth Commandment:

"Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
But the seventh day [is] the sabbath of the LORD thy God:"
Exodus 20:8-10

"Remember the sabbath day", it seems that God knew that people would try to forget it. No other Commandment begins with the word "remember".

"The seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God". Here is the heart of the matter: "THE seventh day IS the sabbath". God did NOT say that a seventh day could be the sabbath. There is no authority given or even hinted at for the substitution of ANY other day. "THE seventh day IS the sabbath"!

Incidentally, did you notice that "the seventh DAY is the sabbath OF THE LORD THY GOD"? It seems that the seventh day is in fact THE LORD'S DAY!
The false application of this title to the first day of the week is simply another ploy to cloak the papacy's attempted power grab with false light.

They are God's Ten Commandments: note, they are NOT God's Ten Suggestions!
A Commandment of God cannot be changed (even by an arrogant Pope!), God's Word can either be obeyed or disobeyed. Choosing to keep the first day holy is obeying the papacy, in defiance of the Lord God Almighty.

Yes, the choice does matter.

"...I will not forget you.
Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands..."

Isaiah 49:15-16
Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: APL] #180454
05/03/16 01:21 PM
05/03/16 01:21 PM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
I don't believe it's much of a stretch at all to expect the Patriarchs to know about the Sabbath from the story of creation. But, evangelicals are more verbally inspired.

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: Rick H] #180463
05/03/16 11:41 PM
05/03/16 11:41 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Rick, are there other commandments Jesus didn't explicitly say? How does that compare with what you're saying?

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: Rick H] #180465
05/04/16 06:22 AM
05/04/16 06:22 AM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Some may dispute this -- but for me it's clear.
The Sabbath command is repeated in the NT.

Therefore a Sabbath Rest Remains for the people of God. (Hebs. 4:9)

The Sabbath continues. The verb "remains" is "(apoleipetai) which literally means "has been left."
The Greek word translated "rest" in every other passage throughout Hebrews 3 and 4 is "katapausis." The word for "rest" in Hebrews 4:9 is (sabbatismos). The term (sabbatismos) is seen in the writings of Plutarch, Justin, Epiphanius, and others, and each time the term denotes the observance of the Sabbath. Therefore the text is saying, that Sabbath obsevance remains for the people of God. Later the author tells us what has been abolished BUT FIRST he confirms the SABBATH REST remains behind for the people of God.

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: Rick H] #180513
05/09/16 04:24 PM
05/09/16 04:24 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
You do realize that's not talking about a weekly rest.
And some would say, therefore it spiritualizes the weekly Sabbath away.

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: kland] #180523
05/10/16 01:26 AM
05/10/16 01:26 AM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: kland
Originally Posted By: dedication
Therefore a Sabbath Rest Remains for the people of God. (Hebs. 4:9)

The Sabbath continues. The verb "remains" is "(apoleipetai) which literally means "has been left."
The Greek word translated "rest" in every other passage throughout Hebrews 3 and 4 is "katapausis." The word for "rest" in Hebrews 4:9 is (sabbatismos). The term (sabbatismos) is seen in the writings of Plutarch, Justin, Epiphanius, and others, and each time the term denotes the observance of the Sabbath. Therefore the text is saying, that Sabbath obsevance remains for the people of God. Later the author tells us what has been abolished BUT FIRST he confirms the SABBATH REST remains behind for the people of God.
You do realize that's not talking about a weekly rest.
And some would say, therefore it spiritualizes the weekly Sabbath away.

I assumed you were addressing the text that I quoted.

Hebrews 3 and 4 does speak about the spiritual rest, that's true. However, why would the author speak of the spiritual rest using the term ""katapausis" G2663 each and every time when speaking of entering into this "spiritual rest"?

Quote:
katapausis=rest
Heb 3:11 So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.) G2663

Heb 3:18 And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, G2663 but to them that believed not?

Heb 4:1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, G2663 any of you should seem to come short of it.

Heb 4:3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, G2663 as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: G2663 although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Heb 4:5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest. G2663 ...as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

Heb 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, G2663 he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

Heb 4:11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, G2663 lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

But then when speaking of WHAT REMAINS --
he uses a totally different word?

Sabbatismos = Sabbath keeping

Heb. 4:9
There remaineth (it is left, it wasn't done away with) Sabbatismos (keeping of the Sabbath) to the people of God

The word (sabbatismos) is only once in scripture (here in Hebrews 4:9) Yet the meaning of the word is understood by studying how other writings used the word -- the writings of Plutarch, Justin, Epiphanius, and others, and each time the term denotes the observance of the Sabbath -- keeping the Sabbath.

So, far from spiritualizing the Sabbath away, this passage bases the spiritual "rest" on our experience of literal rest in Christ on each weekly Sabbath.

Each week we stop all our work, stop "making a living" etc. and rest in Christ. As we read in Ezekial 20:12, the Sabbath is a sign that we may know that it is the LORD that sanctify us, and we are resting in Him.

Sabbatismoz helps us understand the "katapausis".

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: Rick H] #180527
05/10/16 04:44 PM
05/10/16 04:44 PM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Attempt answers and thoughts to several questions and comments.

Kland asked -- are any other commandments not explicitly commanded by Jesus?

Answer: Yes, the third commandment, "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord Thy God in vain."
However the principle of that command is often given --

APL asked -- Did Noah keep the Sabbath? Abraham? We have Genesis 2, but no word about the Sabbath until Exodus 16....

Answer: True there is no explicit command till Exodus 16, yet Geneses 26:5 says "Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws." This verses sounds like Abraham knew a lot more about God's law and statutes than what is actually recorded in scripture.
The point of the question of course is -- just because God's commandment isn't repeated doesn't mean God changed his law!

The verse implies that God's "Commandments," "Statutes," and "laws" were known to Abraham hundreds of years before Moses. And why not? Abraham could have heard it from Shem, who heard it from Methusalah, who heard it from Adam, who heard it from God.

APL'S also asks us to back up a little in the history of Israel, Exodus chapter 16 took place before Israel arrived at Sinai, before God revealed to them the commandments from the mountain top, before He made the covenant with them.

Ex. 16 And it came to pass, that there went out some of the people on the seventh day for to gather [manna], and they found none.
And the LORD said unto Moses, HOW LONG REFUSE YOU TO KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS AND MY LAWS?

Apparently the commandments and laws, as well as the Sabbath were already known before Sinai, for why else would God reprimand them for not keeping His commandments and laws?

Alchemy stated: "it's not much of a stretch at all to expect the Patriarchs to know about the Sabbath"

Answer: True!
It's much more of a "stretch" to think they didn't know.

The critics build a case against the Sabbath on periods of "silence".
However, no mention is found in the book of Joshua, nor in Judges, nor Ruth, nor in first Samuel, nor second Samuel, nor in first Kings that people observed the Sabbath. It is not until we reach the book of second Kings that the Sabbath is mentioned again. That covers a period of more than 500 years. Does this mean none of the judges or people kept the Sabbath after they entered the promised land, during all those years, even though it was after Sinai?

History reveals the perversion of the Seventh day Sabbath in very ancient years. After the flood, the descendants of Noah centered their civilization in the Mesopotamia region and there, in ancient writings, we see the perversion of God's Sabbath. Their ancient calendars call the seventh day "sa ba tu" --rest day. But they perverted it and it became a day when the "gods" rested, and people were required to work hard to appease the gods on that day. However, the true Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath (Mark 2:27) and God's people, no matter their position as ruler or servant, were to rest and delight themselves in the Lord upon that day. (Exodus 20:10 Isaiah 58:13). The very fact that the 7th day Sabbath was so perverted in the early Mesopotamian culture, shows that it was known.

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: dedication] #180531
05/10/16 08:29 PM
05/10/16 08:29 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Hebrews 3 and 4 does speak about the spiritual rest, that's true. However, why would the author speak of the spiritual rest using the term ""katapausis" G2663 each and every time when speaking of entering into this "spiritual rest"?
Could it be because he means each and every time, "spiritual rest"?

Sorry, it's not talking about weekly rest. Otherwise, Sunday keepers might attempt to make a valid claim. He's talking about a different rest than the Sabbath weekly rest. He's comparing and contrasting the weekly Sabbath rest to the ultimate rest.

Try plugging in "weekly Sabbath" in each case of Hebrews 3 & 4 and see if it still makes sense to you. Do you think they did not keep the Sabbath in the wilderness? Do you think Joshua did not have them keep the Sabbath?

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: Rick H] #180532
05/10/16 10:22 PM
05/10/16 10:22 PM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Kland, I'm not sure, but it seems you miss the main point of what I've been sharing.

Eight times the author talks about "rest" using "katapausis" G2663

Hebrews 4:9 is a different WORD.

Why did the author of Hebrews use a different word in that verse?
when speaking of WHAT REMAINS --
He uses a totally different word

Heb. 4:9
There remaineth (it is left, it wasn't done away with) Sabbatismos (keeping of the Sabbath) to the people of God.

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: kland] #180533
05/10/16 11:06 PM
05/10/16 11:06 PM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

Sorry, it's not talking about weekly rest. Otherwise, Sunday keepers might attempt to make a valid claim. He's talking about a different rest than the Sabbath weekly rest. He's comparing and contrasting the weekly Sabbath rest to the ultimate rest.

Agreed -- the author is comparing the weekly Sabbath rest to the ultimate rest, but more -- he is comparing it to the rest in Christ. But there is also a reverse truth -- true keeping of the weekly Sabbath involves experiencing a special rest in Christ that few find .

Originally Posted By: Kland
Try plugging in "weekly Sabbath" in each case of Hebrews 3 & 4 and see if it still makes sense to you.

Of course not -- the author is comparing the weekly Sabbath rest to the rest of salvation in Christ. One can't compare if everything refers to the same thing. There are a number of examples of "rest" in the chapter. Due to rebellion the first generation of Hebrews couldn't enter the "rest" in the promised land. Yet, even the generation that did enter the promised land didn't find the "rest".

Do you think they did not keep the Sabbath in the wilderness?

Ezekiel says they didn't --
Ezekiel 20:13 But the house of Israel rebelled against me in the wilderness: they walked not in my statutes, and they despised my judgments,... and my sabbaths they greatly polluted:...so I lifted up my hand unto them in the wilderness, that I would not bring them into the land which I had given...
20:16 Because they despised my judgments, and walked not in my statutes, but polluted my sabbaths: for their heart went after their idols.
20:17 Nevertheless mine eye spared them from destroying them, neither did I make an end of them in the wilderness.

Sure they kept the Sabbaths as far as the "rule" of not doing certain things that day -- but there seems to have been a real problem with where their hearts were.
They weren't really keeping the Sabbath -- the text says they were polluting the Sabbath.
Hebrews is quoting from Ezekiel chapter 20.

Do you think Joshua did not have them keep the Sabbath?

Again == there was Sabbath observance according to the rules, but is that real "keeping the Sabbath holy"?

As time went on, Isaiah 1, tells us their Sabbath keeping was worse than in the wilderness -- so much so that God says He hated it!

Isaiah 1:13your sabbaths, the calling of assemblies... it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.
1:14 Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hates: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them....when you make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood.
1:16 Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil;...
1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
1:19 If ye be willing and obedient,

I would say they weren't keeping the Sabbath day holy but were polluting it, even though they were following certain rules in regards to the day.

The author of Hebrews points out that "Sabbatismos" remains --
the keeping of the Sabbath remains, and when we find the true meaning of keeping that weekly Sabbath in the Lord, striving to enter into the true rest the weekly Sabbath was meant to provide, we will also find the meaning of the rest found in salvation in Christ.

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: Rick H] #180545
05/11/16 08:34 PM
05/11/16 08:34 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
What you say about the Hebrews may be true. But that doesn't mean that's what Hebrews is talking about.

Are you saying Joshua only gave them rules and not heart?

Or is it that what Joshua gave, whether rules or heart, is not the same rest we look forward to? That is, even if they kept in the heart of the matter, there still remains a rest.

Because otherwise, you would be agreeing that there's another day, "sunday", where the true heart following is. And I don't think you want to go there...

Have you read the SDA commentary on Hebrews 3 and 4? Is there something you disagree with them?

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: kland] #180558
05/12/16 02:06 PM
05/12/16 02:06 PM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
What you say about the Hebrews may be true. But that doesn't mean that's what Hebrews is talking about.

Are you saying Joshua only gave them rules and not heart?

Or is it that what Joshua gave, whether rules or heart, is not the same rest we look forward to? That is, even if they kept in the heart of the matter, there still remains a rest.

Because otherwise, you would be agreeing that there's another day, "sunday", where the true heart following is. And I don't think you want to go there...

Have you read the SDA commentary on Hebrews 3 and 4? Is there something you disagree with them?

I'm confused on this discussion.

I have always understood Hebrews 4:1-10 or 11, to be talking about the ultimate rest in Christ! This would include the rest on God's seventh day Sabbath.

Am I missing something?

As far as the reference to Joshua, I believe it addresses the rest for God's people in entering the Promised Land. Yet, the Israelites never fully entered into that rest and consequently, ended up polluting God's seventh day Sabbath.

In Joshua chapter 23, Joshua encourages God's people to completely occupy the Promised Land that God would give them the victory! But, they never did. God is telling us to not make the same mistake that the Israelites made in the time of Joshua.

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: Rick H] #180559
05/12/16 05:38 PM
05/12/16 05:38 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
" never fully entered into that rest and consequently, ended up polluting God's seventh day Sabbath."

Yes and no. Not what Hebrews 4 is talking about regarding "rest". But it's true that since they never entered true rest, that they'd violate all other laws. Including the Sabbath, but not exclusive.

"In Joshua chapter 23, Joshua encourages God's people to completely occupy the Promised Land that God would give them the victory! But, they never did. God is telling us to not make the same mistake that the Israelites made in the time of Joshua."

But nothing talking exclusive of the Sabbath commandment.

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: Rick H] #180560
05/13/16 05:21 AM
05/13/16 05:21 AM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Even though there are good points in the SDA commentary, I would have to say, no, I don't agree with their general interpretation of Hebrews 9:4.

Originally Posted By: Alchemy
I have always understood Hebrews 4:1-10 or 11, to be talking about the ultimate rest in Christ! This would include the rest on God's seventh day Sabbath.

I think you have the right foundational idea. The "rest" the "katapausis" G2663, is the "rest" that is found in Christ.

Jesus says == Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all [ye] that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

This "rest" stands at the central core of the gospel -- it demands faith in Christ, believing in Christ, and leads to finding rest for our souls in Him.

"Rest for your souls" This was the rest into which God wanted to lead the Israelites.
They eventually entered the "promised land", but they didn't find the "rest" for their souls.

This argument the author of Hebrews applies to his own generation. The Jews considered themselves as God's chosen people. They had entered the promised land and established themselves there. Yes, they were in the land, but they certainly had not had rest from their enemies, nor were they resting in God. These things do not bring "rest for the soul".

The rest of the soul, which Christ wants to bestow upon His followers is closely associated with the Sabbath.

What kept the Israelites out of this rest? And how does the author of Hebrews say his generation can enter the rest?

Hebrews 3:19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.
Hebrews 4:3 For we which have believed do enter into rest,

It is based on "believing" -- on faith.

The author of this chapter is talking about God's rest -- His rest. "They shall enter into my rest." The time is not some future date, but TODAY, we which have believed do enter into rest. Those who don't enter, didn't enter because of unbelief.

Last edited by dedication; 05/14/16 02:23 AM.
Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: kland] #180565
05/14/16 01:54 PM
05/14/16 01:54 PM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
" never fully entered into that rest and consequently, ended up polluting God's seventh day Sabbath."

Yes and no. Not what Hebrews 4 is talking about regarding "rest". But it's true that since they never entered true rest, that they'd violate all other laws. Including the Sabbath, but not exclusive.

"In Joshua chapter 23, Joshua encourages God's people to completely occupy the Promised Land that God would give them the victory! But, they never did. God is telling us to not make the same mistake that the Israelites made in the time of Joshua."

(bold emphasis mine)

I agree that it is not exclusively the Sabbath and no, I haven't read what the SDABC says about this. But, Hebrews 4 directly mentions a "seventh day on this wise" in verse 4 relating to God resting at creation.

So, I believe my points to be Biblical. Do you agree kland?

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: dedication] #180566
05/14/16 01:57 PM
05/14/16 01:57 PM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
Even though there are good points in the SDA commentary, I would have to say, no, I don't agree with their general interpretation of Hebrews 9:4.

I think you have the right foundational idea. The "rest" the "katapausis" G2663, is the "rest" that is found in Christ.

Jesus says == Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all [ye] that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

This "rest" stands at the central core of the gospel -- it demands faith in Christ, believing in Christ, and leads to finding rest for our souls in Him.

"Rest for your souls" This was the rest into which God wanted to lead the Israelites.
They eventually entered the "promised land", but they didn't find the "rest" for their souls.

This argument the author of Hebrews applies to his own generation. The Jews considered themselves as God's chosen people. They had entered the promised land and established themselves there. Yes, they were in the land, but they certainly had not had rest from their enemies, nor were they resting in God. These things do not bring "rest for the soul".

The rest of the soul, which Christ wants to bestow upon His followers is closely associated with the Sabbath.

What kept the Israelites out of this rest? And how does the author of Hebrews say his generation can enter the rest?

Hebrews 3:19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.
Hebrews 4:3 For we which have believed do enter into rest,

It is based on "believing" -- on faith.

The author of this chapter is talking about God's rest -- His rest. "They shall enter into my rest." The time is not some future date, but TODAY, we which have believed do enter into rest. Those who don't enter, didn't enter because of unbelief.

I agree with this post.

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: Alchemy] #180572
05/16/16 08:41 PM
05/16/16 08:41 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland

(bold emphasis mine)

I agree that it is not exclusively the Sabbath and no, I haven't read what the SDABC says about this. But, Hebrews 4 directly mentions a "seventh day on this wise" in verse 4 relating to God resting at creation.

I wasn't disputing whether points made were Biblical. I was disputing whether they were related to what Hebrews 3 and 4 was talking about. Maybe Sunday keepers were correct afterall?

I tend to agree with the commentary unless someone can show me otherwise.

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: Rick H] #180575
05/17/16 02:22 AM
05/17/16 02:22 AM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
The commentary takes for granted that everyone in Paul's audience was keeping the Sabbath, therefore it couldn't be referring to the Sabbath. They spend quite a few paragraphs belaboring that point.

After reading it, I definitely do NOT agree with the SDA commentary on that verse.

It appears that they themselves did not realize what the weekly "Sabbath rest" was meant to be, for them to come to such a conclusion.

Do they really think there was no need to teach people about HOW to relate to the Sabbath day, thinking they were all keeping it meticulously (since they had a lot of rules concerning Sabbath keeping) already? Isn't that a rather strange argument? Didn't Jesus have a bit of a problem with the way the Jewish people were "keeping" the Sabbath?

People then didn't understand what the weekly Sabbath rest in Christ was all about. Yes, they knew the rules, (and made the Sabbath a burden) but did that equal entering the weekly Sabbath rest? And if the SDA commentators think they were all meticulously keeping the Sabbath according to its purpose in relationship with Christ, back in Paul's day, thus there was no need to call people into the Sabbath rest -- they simply show they didn't understand what entering the Sabbath rest was either.

However, there are plenty of Seventh-day Adventist Bible scholars who don't agree with the SDA Bible commentary on this chapter.

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: dedication] #180580
05/17/16 09:15 PM
05/17/16 09:15 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
The commentary takes for granted that everyone in Paul's audience was keeping the Sabbath, therefore it couldn't be referring to the Sabbath. They spend quite a few paragraphs belaboring that point.

After reading it, I definitely do NOT agree with the SDA commentary on that verse.
Not sure which verse. Maybe 4:4? I was talking about chapter 3 and 4. Did you only read the commentary on one verse?

Quote:
It appears that they themselves did not realize what the weekly "Sabbath rest" was meant to be, for them to come to such a conclusion.

Do they really think there was no need to teach people about HOW to relate to the Sabbath day, thinking they were all keeping it meticulously (since they had a lot of rules concerning Sabbath keeping) already? Isn't that a rather strange argument? Didn't Jesus have a bit of a problem with the way the Jewish people were "keeping" the Sabbath?
Seems like a reasonable argument. However, if I'm taking the position the passage is NOT about the literal seventh day, then do you understand your argument here is non-relevant? You must first show why it's about the literal seventh day.

Quote:
People then didn't understand what the weekly Sabbath rest in Christ was all about. Yes, they knew the rules, (and made the Sabbath a burden) but did that equal entering the weekly Sabbath rest? And if the SDA commentators think they were all meticulously keeping the Sabbath according to its purpose in relationship with Christ, back in Paul's day, thus there was no need to call people into the Sabbath rest -- they simply show they didn't understand what entering the Sabbath rest was either.
Again, this may very well be true. But if the verse is not talking about the seventh day Sabbath, then do realize it is non-relevant.

Quote:
However, there are plenty of Seventh-day Adventist Bible scholars who don't agree with the SDA Bible commentary on this chapter.
I don't know if that's true or not. The majority isn't always correct, so it may be that you are right.

I do know Sunday keepers say it's about a literal day.
I do know Sunday keepers say that since the Hebrews kept the Sabbath, and since there is "another day", then that day is Sunday.
Based upon the knowledge I've gained, I do know Sunday keepers are wrong.
I also know Sunday keepers are a majority....

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: Rick H] #180583
05/18/16 04:20 AM
05/18/16 04:20 AM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
The verse I was referring to was Hebrews 4:9. I was reading mainly comments on Hebrews 4;1-9.

You have brought up the question of "another day" several times, so I'll try to address that.

Quote:
Hebrews 4:6 Seeing therefore it remains that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
4:7 Again, he limits a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if you will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
4:8 For if Joshua had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.

Pre-understanding
The Sabbath is mentioned as a sign --
A sign that it is God that sanctifies
Adventists often say it is a sign, but very seldom do we hear what the sign symbolizes.

Quote:
Ezek. 20:12 Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them.
20:20 And hallow my sabbaths; and they shall be a sign between me and you, that ye may know that I am the LORD your God.
Exodus 31:13 Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it [is] a sign between me and you ..that you may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.

This is an important point in understanding the passage -- the sign of sanctification, is the Sabbath.

Next notice the repeated emphases through Hebrews 3 and 4.
The theme of "hardening the heart" "deceitfulness of sin" rebellion, and unbelief all of which kept Israel from finding the rest.

The author of Hebrews links the "rest" to the seventh-day Sabbath.
Heb. 4:4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh [day] on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

Gen. 2:3 God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it, and rested on the seventh day from all His work.

This day which God in the beginning sanctified and upon which He rested, became the sign of sanctification -- the sign of setting apart for holy purpose, the sign of rest in God.

What about the words "Today"
and "another day"?

The word "Today" means simply NOW. The word doesn't mean Sabbath day, but rather referring to probationary time when the call to enter God's rest is being given.
Today == NOW === harden not your heart....

It's "Today, harden not your hearts" stop resisting God's sanctification and stop being deceived by sin, Today while probationary time is still open.

The limited day is "Today" . This day if you will hear his call and respond, you can enter the sanctifying rest of God.

They (Israel under Joshua) failed to enter God's rest -- that day is passed. Since their probationary time ended, is there another day == is probationary time still open?

If Joshua had given them rest, then there would be no need for another day --
The "IF" suggests Joshua did NOT give them rest. He merely led them into Canaan. This statement shows this "rest" was not about entering Canaan. This was the whole problem with the Jewish people, they based their faith upon their land -- they were in the promised land. (It's still confusing people today, who think it's all about the land).

Hebrews however is speaking of the "sanctifying rest", which is the opposite of hard hearts and following the deceitfulness of sin.
Was another day of probation open for the Israelite nation?

So ANOTHER DAY (another day after Joshua's time) was needed, more probationary time for Israel --

The call was given during King David's time.
To day if ye will hear his voice,
Quote:
Psalm 95:8 Harden not your heart, as in the provocation, [and] as [in] the day of temptation in the wilderness:
95:9 When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my work.
95:10 Forty years long was I grieved with [this] generation, and said, It [is] a people that do err in their heart, and they have not known my ways:
95:11 Unto whom I sware in my wrath that they should not enter into my rest.

One "another day" -- was during Ezekiel's time
The call went out.
Jerusalem was about to be destroyed.

Why== six times in Ezekiel 20 the pollution of the Sabbath was mentioned as a reason Jerusalem was about to be destroyed.

Ezekiel calls for Israel to enter the sanctifying rest which the Sabbath represents. He too warns by telling the history of Israel in the wilderness and how they failed by polluting the Sabbath, even though outwardly they kept it.
The sanctifying rest of the Sabbath day was unknown.
They failed -- Jerusalem was destroyed.

At the time Hebrews was written, Israel, as a nation was being given the last "today". It was "another day" of opportunity. A day of great light had come to Israel, as Jesus had walked and taught among them. Justification in Christ was presented, the sanctifying power of the Holy Spirit was demonstrated.

But the nation was rejecting all this. Their Sabbaths were not a "sign that God sanctified them"; they had turned it into a burdensome "works" ordeal with thousands of rules and regulations. Their lives, though outwardly pious, were (as Jesus pointed out) like whitened sepulchers filled with dead bone.
The sanctifying power of God was missing.
Their Sabbath keeping was not a sanctifying rest.

Again forty years had almost slipped past since the sanctifying rest had been presented to them. Their nation was about to be destroyed. Their beautiful temple razed to the ground. The last "today" had come. Today, While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts,

This was "another day", it wasn't during Joshua's time, they couldn't do anything about what happened back then, but they could respond "Today" for they were in "another day" and for them probation was still open.

In Hebrews God calls specific attention to the seventh day Sabbath, when God did rest on the seventh day from all His work. This statement the author connects closely with the call to repentance, and not hardening the heart in disbelief and following the deceitfulness of sin.

The Sabbath is a SIGN that God sanctifies us. It is closely connected with finding the rest from our own works of self-righteousness, and being sanctified by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Far from exonerating Sunday, it is a significant restatement of the importance of the Seventh-day Sabbath.
As God rested on the seventh day after His perfect creation of this world, so we rest in Him as we depend on Him to work out holiness in our lives.
In finding this sanctifying rest we keep God's commandment -- one of which is the very sign of this sanctifying rest -- the keeping of the Seventh day.

Sunday is not holy or sanctified, by God. The seventh-day is holy and sanctified by God, and it is a sign that our God that sanctifies us.

Hebrews, in using a different word in 4:9,

Heb. 4:9 There remaineth (it is left, it wasn't done away with) Sabbatismos (keeping of the Sabbath) to the people of God
Using this word, instead of the more generic word for "rest" leaves no confusion as to what remains and clinches the connection, between "rest' and "Sabbath keeping".
Keeping the Seventh day Sabbath in it's true meaning, is a sign that we are partaking of Christ's sanctifying rest.

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: kland] #180584
05/19/16 02:39 PM
05/19/16 02:39 PM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia

(bold emphasis mine)

I wasn't disputing whether points made were Biblical. I was disputing whether they were related to what Hebrews 3 and 4 was talking about. Maybe Sunday keepers were correct afterall?

I tend to agree with the commentary unless someone can show me otherwise.

What does the SDA Bible Commentary teach about Hebrews chapters 3 and 4?

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: Rick H] #180618
05/24/16 09:39 PM
05/24/16 09:39 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
A straight reading of the chapters say it is talking about something other than a weekly rest. The commentary agrees.

I understand it saying that Hebrews 3 and 4 is not talking about resting on the 7th, 1st, or any other day, but about rest beyond physical rest, a resting in Christ's righteousness, a future rest, about a rest that has nothing to do with our physical labors. I highly recommend reading it as I believe they have put more thought, time, and collective intellect into the manuscripts, the language, and the writings of the Bible than any of us could possibly do individually. However, they could still be wrong, but I would need something more than an opinion.

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: Rick H] #180643
05/27/16 05:26 AM
05/27/16 05:26 AM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
What is the Sabbath a sign of?
Base answer on the Biblical explanation of what the Sabbath is a sign of.

The Sabbath shall be a sign ...........

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: Rick H] #180668
06/03/16 04:07 PM
06/03/16 04:07 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Why is that question relevant to Hebrews 3 and 4?

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: kland] #180763
06/12/16 10:57 PM
06/12/16 10:57 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada

The Sabbath is also a sign of rest in Jesus.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: Rick H] #180770
06/13/16 02:13 AM
06/13/16 02:13 AM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia

The fourth commandment is not quoted in Hebrews 4:10, but, it is directly referenced to. Also, when Christ was talking to the rich young ruler, He didn't mention the first commandment either? Does that mean we don't have to keep that commandment? Of course not.

The fourth commandment is honored by Christ in His life and in the lives of His apostles. That is more than clear enough.

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: Daryl] #180776
06/13/16 09:44 PM
06/13/16 09:44 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Daryl

The Sabbath is also a sign of rest in Jesus.
While that's true, what relevance does that have with the point the writer is making in Hebrews 3 and 4?

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: kland] #180780
06/14/16 04:11 AM
06/14/16 04:11 AM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

It has everything to do with the topic of Hebrews 3-4.

According to Ezekiel 20, the Sabbath is a sign that we acknowledge and know it is God that saves and sanctifies us. He is our God, and we are His people.

This is where true spiritual rest lies -- in a life fully committed in trust and obedience to God.

Hebrews skillfully weaves the two concepts of spiritual rest and Sabbath rest into one.
They must be woven together in our lives as well.

Though Israel stayed in their tents on the Sabbath, and though Israel, under Joshua entered what was to be the "land of rest" yet they did not enter into the rest God wanted to give them.

Some may argue that they didn't enter the rest because Jesus is the rest and He had not yet come in Moses and Joshua's day. But that is NOT the reason given -- they did not enter because of their unbelief. The rest was available to them, but they did not enter because of unbelief and because of the deceptiveness of sin.

That rest comes from an abiding relationship with our Creator. He it is that sanctifies and gives spiritual rest to everyone who accepts Him and walks with Him in trust and obedience.

The Sabbath, when truly entered into, is a sign, as well as an experience in the spiritual rest found in Christ.

"There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God," Hebrews 4:9 (King James Version).
This is an incorrect translation, rooted in bias against the Holy Seventh-day Sabbath day of God.

The previous verses in Hebrews 3 and 4 use the word katapausis which means rest.

But the word translated “rest” in Hebrews 4:9 is not katapausis its is sabbatismos.

The Anchor Bible Dictionary states regarding the meaning of sabbatismos:

“The words ‘sabbath rest’ translate the [Greek] noun sabbatismos, a unique word in the NT. This term appears also in Plutarch … for sabbath observance, and in four post-canonical Christian writings … for seventh day ‘sabbath celebration’ ” (p. 855)

While sabbatismos is a noun, the verb form of the word is sabbatizo, which means, "to keep the Sabbath" (A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament).

This definition of sabbatizo is confirmed by its use in the Septuagint, a Greek translation of the Old Testament dating from third century BC. Jews used the Septuagint in synagogues throughout the Roman Empire; Greek-speaking Jewish and Gentile coverts to Christianity used this translation throughout the early New Testament period. This is why the apostle Paul quoted from the Septuagint in his epistle to the Hebrews, which went to all the true churches of God - Jew and Gentile.

When Paul used sabbatismos in Hebrews 4:9, he did so knowing that its meaning was well known to the Greek-speaking believers of that day.

Throughout the entire Septuagint, the verb sabbatizo is used only in relation to "Sabbath-keeping." Understanding this definition, the KJV translators translated sabbatieite as, "shall ye celebrate your sabbath." However, they deliberately did not translate sabbatisomos that way in Hebrews 4:9 proabably because of their Sunday keeping bias -

Consequently, this verse (4:9) should be translated correctly as the original Greek meant, "There remains, therefore, Sabbath-keeping for the people of God" - Jew and Gentile alike.

“Hebrews 4:3-11 affirms that physical ‘sabbath rest’ (sabbatismos ) is the weekly outward manifestation of the inner experience of spiritual rest ( katapausis ) as we have accepted God as our God, and abide in Him. The Sabbath rest is a foretaste of the final rest, yet is is experienced already ‘today’ (4:7).

Thus ‘sabbath rest’ combines in itself creation, sanctifying restoration, salvation-experience, with Christ, and includes the anticipation of total restoration and rest at the coming of Christ.

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: dedication] #180781
06/14/16 09:35 AM
06/14/16 09:35 AM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia

It has everything to do with the topic of Hebrews 3-4.

According to Ezekiel 20, the Sabbath is a sign that we acknowledge and know it is God that saves and sanctifies us. He is our God, and we are His people.

This is where true spiritual rest lies -- in a life fully committed in trust and obedience to God.

Hebrews skillfully weaves the two concepts of spiritual rest and Sabbath rest into one.
They must be woven together in our lives as well.

Though Israel stayed in their tents on the Sabbath, and though Israel, under Joshua entered what was to be the "land of rest" yet they did not enter into the rest God wanted to give them.

Some may argue that they didn't enter the rest because Jesus is the rest and He had not yet come in Moses and Joshua's day. But that is NOT the reason given -- they did not enter because of their unbelief. The rest was available to them, but they did not enter because of unbelief and because of the deceptiveness of sin.

That rest comes from an abiding relationship with our Creator. He it is that sanctifies and gives spiritual rest to everyone who accepts Him and walks with Him in trust and obedience.

The Sabbath, when truly entered into, is a sign, as well as an experience in the spiritual rest found in Christ.

"There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God," Hebrews 4:9 (King James Version).
This is an incorrect translation, rooted in bias against the Holy Seventh-day Sabbath day of God.

The previous verses in Hebrews 3 and 4 use the word katapausis which means rest.

But the word translated “rest” in Hebrews 4:9 is not katapausis its is sabbatismos.

“The words ‘sabbath rest’ translate the [Greek] noun sabbatismos, a unique word in the NT. This term appears also in Plutarch … for sabbath observance, and in four post-canonical Christian writings … for seventh day ‘sabbath celebration’ ” (p. 855)

While sabbatismos is a noun, the verb form of the word is sabbatizo, which means, "to keep the Sabbath" (A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament).

This definition of sabbatizo is confirmed by its use in the Septuagint, a Greek translation of the Old Testament dating from third century BC. Jews used the Septuagint in synagogues throughout the Roman Empire; Greek-speaking Jewish and Gentile coverts to Christianity used this translation throughout the early New Testament period. This is why the apostle Paul quoted from the Septuagint in his epistle to the Hebrews, which went to all the true churches of God - Jew and Gentile.

When Paul used sabbatismos in Hebrews 4:9, he did so knowing that its meaning was well known to the Greek-speaking believers of that day.

Throughout the entire Septuagint, the verb sabbatizo is used only in relation to "Sabbath-keeping." Understanding this definition, the KJV translators translated sabbatieite as, "shall ye celebrate your sabbath." However, they deliberately did not translate sabbatisomos that way in Hebrews 4:9 proabably because of their Sunday keeping bias -

Consequently, this verse (4:9) should be translated correctly as the original Greek meant, "There remains, therefore, Sabbath-keeping for the people of God" - Jew and Gentile alike.

“Hebrews 4:3-11 affirms that physical ‘sabbath rest’ (sabbatismos ) is the weekly outward manifestation of the inner experience of spiritual rest ( katapausis ) as we have accepted God as our God, and abide in Him. The Sabbath rest is a foretaste of the final rest, yet is is experienced already ‘today’ (4:7).

Thus ‘sabbath rest’ combines in itself creation, sanctifying restoration, salvation-experience, with Christ, and includes the anticipation of total restoration and rest at the coming of Christ.

Very powerful post, dedication.

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: Rick H] #180788
06/15/16 08:47 AM
06/15/16 08:47 AM
ProdigalOne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024
Supporting Member 2023

Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
Amen, dedication!

"...I will not forget you.
Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands..."

Isaiah 49:15-16
Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: Rick H] #180797
06/17/16 04:11 PM
06/17/16 04:11 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Definitely a very good and a very powerful post!!!

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: Rick H] #180874
06/28/16 09:51 PM
06/28/16 09:51 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Yes, powerful post, but does it relate to what the text is trying to say?

Did Joshua not give the Israelites the 7th day Sabbath?
Heb 4:8 For if Joshua had given them rest, then He would not afterward have spoken of another day.

Or was it that Jesus prevented them from keeping the 7th day Sabbath?
Heb 3:11 So I swore in My wrath, 'They shall not enter My rest.'

Heb 3:18 And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest, but to those who did not obey?

Were the ones being spoken to in Hebrews not keeping the 7th day Sabbath, that it remains for the future?
Heb 4:9 There remains therefore a rest for the people of God.

How does one labor to enter the 7th day Sabbath?
Heb 4:11 ¶ Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience.

Heb 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need
Why did he say that? Can we only come boldly to the throne of grace only on the 7th day Sabbath?

Sorry, not buying it. You are suggesting Hebrews directly establishes the 7th day Sabbath. I disagree with that as much as I do with Sunday keepers using the verses in a similar fashion. Except you are taking liberties Sunday keepers do not even attempt. The 7th day Sabbath is only indirectly implied. The author is talking about something way beyond a weekly rest.

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: Rick H] #180877
06/29/16 01:51 AM
06/29/16 01:51 AM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Hebrews is skillfully weaving the two concepts of spiritual rest and Sabbath rest together.

The reason you, Kland have a hard time seeing this, is because you have separated the two. In your mind it must be either the spiritual rest OR the Sabbath rest. Of course the text doesn't make sense if we separate the two.

Quote:
Heb 4:8 For if Joshua had given them rest, then He would not afterward have spoken of another day.

Joshua did not give them "rest", he was only a human being, he could only lead them to the "rest" but he couldn't make them "rest".
Under Joshua they entered what was to be the "land of rest" and they also had the day of rest--
Yet because of their unbelief and hardness of heart they did not enter into the rest God wanted to give them.
They COULD HAVE --

3:19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.
3:2 the gospel was preached.. unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard.

Quote:

Jesus could not bless them with His rest, either with the blessing that came from true Sabbath keeping, or with the blessing of rest that He wanted to bless them with in the promised land.
Why?

4:2 the gospel was preached.. unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard.

This spiritual rest as well as the Sabbath rest was ordained for mankind at creation:
4:4 And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

It was there --
They COULD HAVE entered in.

The Sabbath, when truly entered into, is a sign, as well as an experience in the spiritual sanctifying rest found in Christ.

Quote:
Heb 3:18 And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest, but to those who did not obey?

They DID enter the promised land -- but didn't enter the "rest".

Exactly because they did not obey.

Isaiah 57:20 But the wicked are like the troubled sea, when it cannot rest, whose waters cast up mire and dirt.
57:21 There is no peace [or rest], saith my God, to the wicked.

They found no rest in the promised land, nor in their Sabbath keeping, because their hearts weren't with their Savior, and they weren't walking with Him in obedience.
There is no rest for the disobedient.

Quote:
Were the ones being spoken to in Hebrews not keeping the 7th day Sabbath, that it remains for the future?

We already belabored that point.
First the text uses a totally different word

Heb. 4:9 There remains therefore a SABBATISMOS (Sabbath keeping) for the people of God.

The word there is NOT the word "rest" but SABBATISMOS.
Please don't ignore the fact that the author of Hebrews uses a completely different word here.

Following a few Sabbath rules is not observing the 7th day Sabbath or finding the sanctifying rest it affords in Christ.

The ones spoken to in Hebrews came from background in which the Sabbath had been made a burden with so many rules it was hardly a day of sanctifying rest with the Creator God.
Yes, they needed to be instructed on the real meaning of Sabbath rest and how it is intricately interwoven with the spiritual rest in Christ.

Hebrews 4:4 And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
Ex. 31:15 Six days may work be done; but the seventh isthe sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD.

Quote:
Heb 4:11 ¶ Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience.

By being in an abiding relationship with their Creator and Savior all week long as they go about their daily work, then on Sabbath they rest in trust and faith, in HIM.

And according to Genesis 2, He blessed that day and sanctified it. and in Ex. 20 He asks us to remember the seventh day and follow His example of working six days and resting on the day He made holy.

Quote:
Heb 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need
Why did he say that? Can we only come boldly to the throne of grace only on the 7th day Sabbath?

We need to come boldly every day before God's throne of grace to find the spiritual rest. It is by coming to the throne of grace, that makes the Sabbath rest truly meaningful, because we then understand the meaning of the Sabbath rest-- a sign of Christ's sanctifying power and we can rest in the promise that He who has begun a good work in us will complete it to that day.

Without coming to the throne of mercy and grace we can't find any rest even if we keep rules, we would find ourselves in the same place as the Israelites who didn't find the rest in their promised land, in their temple services or in the Sabbath.

Today is that "other day" -- the rest is still available --
Don't put off coming into that rest.

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: kland] #180879
06/29/16 07:34 AM
06/29/16 07:34 AM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
Yes, powerful post, but does it relate to what the text is trying to say?

Sorry, not buying it. You are suggesting Hebrews directly establishes the 7th day Sabbath. I disagree with that as much as I do with Sunday keepers using the verses in a similar fashion. Except you are taking liberties Sunday keepers do not even attempt. The 7th day Sabbath is only indirectly implied. The author is talking about something way beyond a weekly rest.
(bold emphasis mine)

dedication wrote;

"The previous verses in Hebrews 3 and 4 use the word katapausis which means rest.

While sabbatismos is a noun, the verb form of the word is sabbatizo, which means, "to keep the Sabbath" (A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament)."

Understanding the correct word and its definition applies directly to the topic at hand! This rest in Christ being spoken in Hebrews 3 and 4 is directly connected to the keeping of the Seventh day Sabbath.

I don't see how this point can be missed!

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: dedication] #180886
06/29/16 05:36 PM
06/29/16 05:36 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Hebrews is skillfully weaving the two concepts of spiritual rest and Sabbath rest together.

The reason you, Kland have a hard time seeing this, is because you have separated the two. In your mind it must be either the spiritual rest OR the Sabbath rest. Of course the text doesn't make sense if we separate the two.

Could you demonstrate that that is so? I believe I demonstrated it doesn't make sense that it's talking about the 7th day Sabbath.

Quote:
Quote:

Joshua did not give them "rest", he was only a human being, he could only lead them to the "rest" but he couldn't make them "rest".
Under Joshua they entered what was to be the "land of rest" and they also had the day of rest--
Yet because of their unbelief and hardness of heart they did not enter into the rest God wanted to give them.
They COULD HAVE --

3:2 the gospel was preached.. unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard.
7th day does not fit here.

Quote:
Quote:

Jesus could not bless them with His rest, either with the blessing that came from true Sabbath keeping, or with the blessing of rest that He wanted to bless them with in the promised land.
Why?

4:2 the gospel was preached.. unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard.

So it's not talking about keeping / obeying the 7th day, but something bigger.

Quote:

This spiritual rest as well as the Sabbath rest was ordained for mankind at creation:
4:4 And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
is 4:4 talking about every week, or the end of creation?

Quote:
It was there --
They COULD HAVE entered in.

The Sabbath, when truly entered into, is a sign, as well as an experience in the spiritual sanctifying rest found in Christ.
Yes, a sign of something bigger. That's what the text is talking about, not keeping the 7th day.

Quote:
Quote:

They DID enter the promised land -- but didn't enter the "rest".

Exactly because they did not obey.
It's not talking about obeying the 7th day, but obeying God.

Quote:

Isaiah 57:20 But the wicked are like the troubled sea, when it cannot rest, whose waters cast up mire and dirt.
57:21 There is no peace [or rest], saith my God, to the wicked.

They found no rest in the promised land, nor in their Sabbath keeping, because their hearts weren't with their Savior, and they weren't walking with Him in obedience.
There is no rest for the disobedient.
Exactly!
Not talking about the 7th day.
Quote:

Quote:

We already belabored that point.
First the text uses a totally different word

Heb. 4:9 There remains therefore a SABBATISMOS (Sabbath keeping) for the people of God.

The word there is NOT the word "rest" but SABBATISMOS.
Please don't ignore the fact that the author of Hebrews uses a completely different word here.
It's making a comparison, not instructing. And the word is not used elsewhere, don't ignore that fact. Similar but not the same.

Quote:

Following a few Sabbath rules is not observing the 7th day Sabbath or finding the sanctifying rest it affords in Christ.

The ones spoken to in Hebrews came from background in which the Sabbath had been made a burden with so many rules it was hardly a day of sanctifying rest with the Creator God.
Yes, they needed to be instructed on the real meaning of Sabbath rest and how it is intricately interwoven with the spiritual rest in Christ.

Ex. 31:15 Six days may work be done; but the seventh isthe sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD.
Yes, but it's not the 7th day. It's only a sign for what the text is talking about.
Quote:

Quote:

By being in an abiding relationship with their Creator and Savior all week long as they go about their daily work, then on Sabbath they rest in trust and faith, in HIM.

And according to Genesis 2, He blessed that day and sanctified it. and in Ex. 20 He asks us to remember the seventh day and follow His example of working six days and resting on the day He made holy.
Yes, he's making a comparison. But the 7th day is not what the text is about. Something bigger.

Quote:
Quote:

We need to come boldly every day before God's throne of grace to find the spiritual rest. It is by coming to the throne of grace, that makes the Sabbath rest truly meaningful, because we then understand the meaning of the Sabbath rest-- a sign of Christ's sanctifying power and we can rest in the promise that He who has begun a good work in us will complete it to that day.

Without coming to the throne of mercy and grace we can't find any rest even if we keep rules, we would find ourselves in the same place as the Israelites who didn't find the rest in their promised land, in their temple services or in the Sabbath.

Today is that "other day" -- the rest is still available --
Don't put off coming into that rest.
Exactly! Nothing about keeping a 7th day, but a rest of something bigger than our workweek!

But expect you to be of the same opinion still. You can use the same tactics as Sunday keepers use, so you can debate them and see where that leads. You can take an approach that is contrary to the SDA commentary and all or most of the secular commentaries, and that's your choice. It comes across as an individual private interpretation. But you are entitled to your opinion as I am mine.

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: Rick H] #180891
06/30/16 06:19 AM
06/30/16 06:19 AM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Yes, I still see the connections that are interwoven in the passage. The SAbbath rest, the spiritual rest, the hope of rest in the promised land.

Also I have "debated' this with Sunday keepers, and it doesn't lead where you assume it leads.

The

What happened in the past, vs, TODAY and the reference to "another day"

What happened in the past?
Did God want to give them rest in the past?
Did God want them to find rest in the Sabbath?
Did God want them to find rest when the entered Canaan?

Why didn't they receive it?

Interspersed with Israel's past failures, the author keeps repeating a phrase concerning "today".
Today, Today.....

Is "today" the "other day"?

They didn't experience the rest in the past, not in the promised land, nor in the Sabbath. The "another day" does not refer to Sabbath or Sunday anymore than the word "today" refers to Sabbath or Sunday in the passage.

It's talking about responding to Christ
Today harden not your hearts ....as they did

In the "Abundant Life, Bible Amplifier Series Vol. Hebrews" W.G.Johnson on the book of Hebrews wrote,
"In my judgment, Hebrews 4:1-11 give us the strongest evidence in favor of the seventh-day Sabbath in the entire New Testament. Yet it does so without a direct appeal or invitation to keep the Sabbath. A direct appeal might suggest that the Hebrew Christians were debating which day to observe. But Hebrews introduces the Sabbath indirectly, in a nondefensive but highly positing manner. ..
Both he and his audience were keeping the Sabbath. They had no thought about any other day. Certainly they weren't debating the merits of Sabbath versus Sunday. 96

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!