HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,593
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, dedication, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 27 of 32 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 31 32
Re: Does the Bible Teach that Everybody Is Saved, or that Some Are Saved? [Re: Daryl] #181138
07/24/16 12:04 AM
07/24/16 12:04 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: dedication
You deny that Christ took your guilt and suffered the punishment for your sins – you state on page 24 of this thread that He was slain by sin, NOT FOR SIN.
Yes, He was slain by sin for sin and is the propitiation for our sins. He was condemned for our sins. He is the SIN-BEARER. The death we deserved, He suffered. He saves us from OUR SINS. Every sin must meet its punishment, urged Dedication and Satan; and if God should remit the punishment of sin, He would not be a God of truth and justice. What killed Christ? Keep before the people the cross of Calvary. Show what caused the death of Christ--the transgression of the law. {6T 54.1} What is transgression? SIN. Sin caused the death of Christ. Christ came to die this death to procure the divine remedy for transgress. Christ's death is not a skillful way to pardon sin. Our transgression does not need to be punish for what it needs is to be is cured.
Your view of “redemption” is to become good enough with God’s help so the punishment due you as a transgressor of God’s law will be waived, ignored, put aside?
I agree with your statement that it sounds like the devil, for it denies Christ our Substitute.
In your eyes, your substitute in place of your punishment. But Christ is our substitute onto life! Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ lives in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. Gave Himself for me to do what? Just be punished? That is a violation of Ezekiel 18. Christ gave His life to procure the divine remedy for transgression. His death was not a legal transaction, it was a healing, restorative transaction.
You pointed to scripture where it states every person is responsible for their own sins, as some kind of proof that Christ (the Creator of the human race) could not take our guilt and sins and bear the punishment in our place. 

You don’t believe that the wages of sin is always death. Where do you expect to be after the 1000 years? Inside the city or outside the city? I’m sure you want to be inside, BUT what about the wages for YOUR SIN? You don’t believe they need to be punished – right? – since you believe you will be good enough (law abiding enough by then) that the punishment for your sins (all the times you transgressed the law) has been waived?
What happens when Christ applies the divine remedy that He has procured? That remedy He established at an infinite cost!!! Your LEGAL attitude to sin is just assounding. Why is Satan not fit to return to heaven? Is it because Christ was not punished enough for his sins? Or is it rather that His sin is INCURABLE?
It is you that does not believe sin is that bad, you believe if you become good enough (law abiding enough) that sins’ wages of all your transgression of God's law, will be waived.
Sin causes death. Sin destroys. It is sin that causes the death of the wicked! God is not a killer, He is the RESTORER. Again, you think that should God remit the punishment, that He would not be a God of justice. (I'm quoting DA - you you that by now, right?) Have you read Desire of Ages chapter 79 lately? Why are you so resistant to reading it?
Hasn't the news that comes on every night convinced you yet that sin destroys, and is totally incompatible to heaven's life? 
Just how the literal fire erupts is not the issue, the fact remains, God will not allow sin to continue after the white throne judgment, there will be the most intense literal fire that will engulf the whole world burning every trace of sin. 
Nor can you side step EGW's clear statements that this fire is punishment meted out according to the guilt of each individual who has rejected the gift of life -- 

And yes, denying the legal aspect of God's law -- is the underlying error in your position.
As I said, your legal religion is cold and loveless. Sin is not a legal problem, it is a real problem that needs a divine remedy.
Originally Posted By: EGW
The very fact that Christ bore the penalty of man's transgression is a mighty argument to all created intelligences that the law is changeless; that God is righteous, merciful, and self-denying; and that infinite justice and mercy unite in the administration of His government. {PP 70.1}
YES!!! Christ bore the penalty of transgression. Our sin, which He took on Himself, bore in His own made, was made to be sin, killed Him.
Redemption means buying back -- and restoring.
Yes, redemption is restoration. It is not a skillful legal maneuver, but a divine remedy. Salvation means HEALING. We must be saved FROM Sin, not IN our sins.
The second step Christ credits us with His perfect life.
Christ's righteousness are not a cloak for iniquity.
The third step is Christ, through His Holy Spirit, working in us to live the life that fits us for heaven.

And what is sin?-It is the transgression of the law. The gospel calls men from their transgression back to obedience to the law of God. Jesus, in His life and death, taught the strictest obedience. He died, the just for the unjust, the innocent for the guilty, that the honor of God's law might be preserved, and yet man not utterly perish. It is through faith in Christ that they are justified. 1 John 3:4-6 Whoever commits sin transgresses also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. 5 And you know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin. 6 Whoever stays in him sins not: whoever sins has not seen him, neither known him.

When the divine remedy that would have saved and exalted human nature is despised, the same spirit still lives in the hearts of men, and we cannot trust to their guidance and maintain our loyalty to Christ. {Ms53-1894}

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does the Bible Teach that Everybody Is Saved, or that Some Are Saved? [Re: Daryl] #181144
07/24/16 04:47 AM
07/24/16 04:47 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
I guess if you think Christ taking our punishment that we may be pardoned is cold and loveless -- there is nothing more to say to you.

You have rejected the very remedy for sin that you think you are defending.

Yes, sin is transgression of the law.
You have transgressed that law, but you still reject the fact that Christ died taking the penalty you deserve, so you can have forgiveness, yes, He died the death you deserve and which the law demands that you die, so that you can have forgiveness.

Your sins can never be remitted by setting aside or waiving the punishment the law demanded, the law is changeless -- that punishment Christ took in your place.

But you state:
Originally Posted By: APL

Christ's death is not a skillful way to pardon sin. Our transgression does not need to be punish for what it needs is to be is cured."

A half truth, is a whole falsehood.
Christ's death is heaven's means of meeting the demands of a transgressed law, and be able in justice and truth to pardon the sinner. Yes, it is a most amazing and love filled way that heaven devised so sinners can be forgiven.

Yes, healing is part of the plan as well, a forgiven sinner, who abides in Christ will find newness of life in Christ, no longer serving sin, but living for Christ.

If you reject the awesome way God found to uphold the demands of the law and still forgive sinners, then Christ died in vain for your sins, and you must take your own punishment in the end.
For, you have transgressed God's law -- you have sinned and the law demands your death -- no matter how many sinful habits you conquer.

Having made provision for the forgiveness of your sins,
then Christ offers you the righteousness He lived.
A righteousness that you can never earn. If you appear before God's judgment seat in your own righteousness you will not live. It is only in the righteousness of Christ that we are accounted justified.

No it's not a cloak under which we continue to sin. Forgiven, we live for Christ -- yet our lives will never merit us anything. It is only the merits of Christ's life that count, our efforts must be through the merits of Christ, or they are filthy still.

By rejecting Christ our substitute you are the one despising the divine remedy that can save and totally change your nature to reflect Christ ever more and more, and by this rejection are depending only on your good works. How can you mock Christ's death as some false skillful way to have forgiveness? It is the only way you CAN have forgiveness for your transgression.

Don't reject Christ as the one who died your substitute, taking your punishment which the law demanded because of your transgressions, so you can be forgiven.

Yes, Christ is also our substitute for life -- His righteous life credited to us. His ministry purifying and refining our characters.
Do you think that's cold and loveless as well???

Without being "born again" by the spirit, which has nothing to do with our "works" but everything to do with recognizing our helplessness and turning to Christ and accepting Him, accepting His forgiveness, accepting His merits, -- without being born again the promises in 1 John, that one who is born again ceases from sinning, won't happen, because you are always working to gain God's favor, not realizing Christ has already accepted you and wants you to believe that -- and thus releasing you from the condemnation of the law, to serve Him out of love and gratitude with a heart fully given to Him.
This brings forth the fruits of righteousness -- the righteousness by faith that overcomes the world.

Yes, Christ was manifested to take away sin --
and every step works together for His glory bringing us to righteousness.

you use the words but then give them a totally different meaning, denying the very thing they mean, in a "double speak" that is totally confusing.

Re: Does the Bible Teach that Everybody Is Saved, or that Some Are Saved? [Re: Daryl] #181146
07/24/16 06:47 AM
07/24/16 06:47 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
I guess if you think Christ taking our punishment that we may be pardoned is cold and loveless -- there is nothing more to say to you.

You have rejected the very remedy for sin that you think you are defending.
You believe that God (the Law Giver) demanded that every sin be punished, and the found that He could do that to Christ and thus have a legal escape. Sorry, I don't believe that about God. Yes, Christ took the punishment for sin in order to find the remedy. He offers all the remedy. Without the remedy, the legal pardon is meaningless. The atonement of Christ is not a mere skilful way to have our sins pardoned; it is a divine remedy for the cure of transgression and the restoration of spiritual health. It is the heaven-ordained means by which the righteousness of Christ may be not only upon us, but in our hearts and characters. {Lt406-1906}
Your sins can never be remitted by setting aside or waiving the punishment the law demanded, the law is changeless -- that punishment Christ took in your place.
Christ suffered the death that would have been ours, and will be that of the unrepentant sinner. And what death was that? The second death. Our sins, killed Him, not His own sins. But sin to you is a legal matter. But that idea of sin has no explanitory power on how sin has caused all sickness, disease, aging and death, in all life forms on this planet, man, animals and plant. Are animals and plants also in legal trouble?
Christ's death is heaven's means of meeting the demands of a transgressed law, and be able in justice and truth to pardon the sinner. Yes, it is a most amazing and love filled way that heaven devised so sinners can be forgiven.
What does the law demand?

The law requires righteousness,--a righteous life, a perfect character; and this man has not to give. He cannot meet the claims of God's holy law. But Christ, coming to the earth as man, lived a holy life, and developed a perfect character.
[he procured the remedy] These He offers as a free gift to all who will receive them. His life stands for the life of men. Thus they have remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God. More than this, Christ imbues men with the attributes of God. He builds up the human character after the similitude of the divine character, a goodly fabric of spiritual strength and beauty. Thus the very righteousness of the law is fulfilled in the believer in Christ. God can "be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus." Romans 3:26. {DA 762.2}

The plan of redemption is the restoration of life back into harmony of God's Law through the grace of Christ. (defintion of grace Isaiah 53:11 and Titus 3:5-7).
If you reject the awesome way God found to uphold the demands of the law and still forgive sinners, then Christ died in vain for your sins, and you must take your own punishment in the end.
For, you have transgressed God's law -- you have sinned and the law demands your death -- no matter how many sinful habits you conquer.
So by God to restore a sinner back into compliance of the law, that is insufficient for you.
Having made provision for the forgiveness of your sins,
then Christ offers you the righteousness He lived.
A righteousness that you can never earn. If you appear before God's judgment seat in your own righteousness you will not live. It is only in the righteousness of Christ that we are accounted justified.
1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

The word translated forgive in this verse is aphiemi. This does not mean that God will no longer hold our sins against us. God is forgiveness personified. He is the sin pardoning God. What this word means, and which seems to be completely obscure to your understanding, is that God will cause in the sinner for the sin to be remitted, remission, to cleanse the sinner. Not that God holds anything against us. He does not! And Christ's death did not change God's love towards us in the least. It was God's love that caused Him to give His Son.
By rejecting Christ our substitute you are the one despising the divine remedy that can save and totally change your nature to reflect Christ ever more and more, and by this rejection are depending only on your good works. How can you mock Christ's death as some false skillful way to have forgiveness? It is the only way you CAN have forgiveness for your transgression.

Don't reject Christ as the one who died your substitute, taking your punishment which the law demanded because of your transgressions, so you can be forgiven?
The only way you can be saved is to have sin removed, the sinner restored to righteousness by God. Again, you ignore Ezekiel 18.
Yes, Christ is also our substitute for life -- His righteous life credited to us. His ministry purifying and refining our characters.
Do you think that's cold and loveless as well???
No at all. I was the one that said it. You say, there is a legal requirement that someone be punished for every single sin committed, and without that, there is no forgiveness, not even understanding what forgiveness is. But that is not forgiveness, that is indeed a cold, Christless legal religion. If you are a complusive gambler and now owe a million dollars and God says, you must pay it, but you can't, but God's Son says, I'll pay that million dollars, does God then say Great! I'll now forgive you. Is that forgiveness? No, first,you debt was not forgiven, you just do not have to pay it yourself. But more importantly, are you still a gambler? You million dollars being paid off is meaningless if you still gamble.
Without being "born again" by the spirit, which has nothing to do with our "works" but everything to do with recognizing our helplessness and turning to Christ and accepting Him, accepting His forgiveness, accepting His merits, the promises in 1 John, that one who is born again ceases from sinning, won't happen, because you are always working to gain God's favor, not realizing Christ has already accepted you and wants you to believe that -- and thus releasing you to serve Him out of love and gratitude with a heart fully given to Him.
This brings forth the fruits of righteousness -- the righteousness by faith that overcomes the world.
I think you blinded by your own retoric. Have I ever said that my own works will save me? Nope. Have I ever said that I am working to gain God's favor? Nope. Christ is the remedy for transgression.
Yes, Christ was manifested to take away sin --

you use the words but then give them a totally different meaning, denying the very thing they mean, in a "double speak" that is totally confusing.
Salvation is healing, not legal mumbo jumbo. Sin is not a legal problem. Just as the effects of gravity experienced by jumping off a cliff is not a legal problem. You concept of salvation is destructive power, God must punish. Salvation is Creative Power. Christ is the restorer. Satan is the destroyer. And until the truth about God is understood, His character of love known, people will continue to fear our Loving Father.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does the Bible Teach that Everybody Is Saved, or that Some Are Saved? [Re: Daryl] #181148
07/24/16 08:59 AM
07/24/16 08:59 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Sin is both a legal problem and a ruinous way of living. Man's greed and selfishness has oppressed and damaged and weakened all of God's creation. That is evident all around. Both mankind and satan and his angels have messed greatly with God's creation and the results are evident. The heinous nature of sin is the news of every nights news -- and that's only the tip of the iceberg.

I don't question the evil of sin --
That's why it must be eradicated in the end, for God's peaceful, righteous and harmonious, reign to be once again established.

That's why it can't just be forgiven in justice, without the penalty being paid.
That's why Christ died upon the cross so we can be forgiven.
That's why He lived a perfect life as a human, so He can impute to us his righteousness and set us on the path of righteousness with Him.
That's why all heaven is interested in lifting people OUT of sin into newness of life

You present an interesting situation:
Originally Posted By: APL
If you are a complusive gambler and now owe a million dollars and God says, you must pay it, but you can't, but God's Son says, I'll pay that million dollars, does God then say Great! I'll now forgive you. Is that forgiveness? No, first,you debt was not forgiven, you just do not have to pay it yourself. But more importantly, are you still a gambler? You million dollars being paid off is meaningless if you still gamble.

We, like that gambler have our stack of sins which we have committed, there is no way we can pay for our sins and get rid of the guilt. But the law says if it is to have any binding force at all, the penalty of transgression against it must be paid.

At this point -- what hope has the sinner? None. Their transgression against the law demands their death. They are dead in their sins, there is no way they can pay anything to get out of their mess.

But yes, Christ, before the earth was formed pledged to be the "lamb of God" and pay the debt the law demanded of transgressors so that pardon can be granted to repentant sinners.

And yes, when Christ died for our sins, that debt was paid.
Thus if the gambler, that night confessed his sin, God could say, "Great" you are forgiven, == you are "just as if you had never sinned".

Now scripture makes it clear that forgiveness is not license to continue in sin. If the gambler goes back into the life of gambling he is no longer forgiven -- he has rejected the gift and must pay his debt.

That is explained in the parable of the ungrateful servant. That servant was forgiven a huge debt. The king took the lose upon himself, and the servant was free of the debt -- forgiven. But instead of being grateful and now living in his newly bestowed freedom from his sin debt in newness of life, he turned on his fellow servants with cruelty and sinful passion, which caused his sin debt to be returned upon him and he had to pay the penalty.

Justification is not license to sin --
Justification is like taking a dirty, homeless drunk from the street, who has sensed his need, but can't help himself. His redeemer pays any fines against him, and then bathing him, getting him new clothes, giving him a clean apartment and giving him a top notch job with a most respected employer in the nation, complete with all provision to overcome his alcoholism, and a kind helper to encourage him to succeed every step of the way.

Everything is done to lift him out of darkness into a meaningful life. That's what justification is like -- it is forgiveness for the repentant sinner, and being placed into a newness of life, completely by another power -- the power of Christ, and the "helper" the Holy Spirit.

Now he has a choice -- he can, in grateful love take hold of this new life, overcome his alcoholism and seek to rightly represent his employer, leaning on the "kind helper" who encourages him and helps him to succeed every step of the way. That's growing in sanctification.

Or -- he can go back to the street and his bottle and be lost.

Re: Does the Bible Teach that Everybody Is Saved, or that Some Are Saved? [Re: Daryl] #181153
07/24/16 11:50 PM
07/24/16 11:50 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
But yes, Christ, before the earth was formed pledged to be the "lamb of God" and pay the debt the law demanded of transgressors so that pardon can be granted to repentant sinners.

Fine! All our dept is paid. What has changed? Is a sinner now free? Nope. A gambler may have had it dept paid, but is he still a gambler? The universe is only interested in if the gambler, the murderer, the rapist, the thief are still those things. Only when they have been changed, born again, renewed, are they safe to save. God does not hold anything against us. God does not kill the sinner. Sin kills the sinner. And unless the sinner is renewed by the power of Christ, he is still a sinner and in the end, he will parish, which is the inevitable result of sin. God is the restorer.

Re: Does the Bible Teach that Everybody Is Saved, or that Some Are Saved? [Re: kland] #181155
07/25/16 01:15 AM
07/25/16 01:15 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: kland
If you agree God IS on trial, consider the court scene.
APL, myself, and others are saying that God is falsely accused of killing.
But what about you, Dedication? Am I correct that you are arguing that indeed God is guilty of killing, but that He gets a free pass because He did it for a good reason?
See, we are arguing He is falsely accused. You are arguing whether He is justified for doing it.

Two errors in your question.
The first is that you and APL believe God removes life from transgressors every bit as strongly as we do, you just don't believe God does the actual carrying out of the act but arranges some forces of evil to do it for Him.

Did David kill Uriah?
Scripture says emphatically that he did.
But you (if you are consistent in your reasoning) would say, NO he didn't. David just had Uriah placed in the heat of the battle and withdrew support, sin killed him, not David.
When the giver of life, withdraws His life giving support, He is withdrawing life and thus removing life, the "how" is not the issue.

Thus the question isn't, does God end life, that's not the court case at all We agree that some are given life, the others are denied life. -- unless you agree with Elle, as her view is the only one in which God does not end anyone's life.

The court case is --
SINCE ALL HAVE SINNED, WHY ARE SOME SAVED WHILE OTHERS ARE CONDEMNED TO ETERNAL DEATH?
Is God fair in His selection of who is saved and who is not?

There will be people saved we would never have thought would be there, there will be people lost that we were sure would be there -- the issue that needs to be settled is "Is God fair in His selection of who is inside the holy city and who is outside the holy city -- the devil can bring up a list of sins of every single one.
This is the main reason for the three phased judgment/court levels. 1)The IJ, 2)saints judge during 1000 years, and last the White throne judgment.

Re: Does the Bible Teach that Everybody Is Saved, or that Some Are Saved? [Re: Daryl] #181156
07/25/16 01:32 AM
07/25/16 01:32 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
APL, why do you omit my references to the changed life, the newness of life in Christ, etc. etc. -- and then blow so much steam that I supposedly believe everyone is handed a blanket card of forgiveness with no regard how this fits in with renewal.

Did you even read the post?

We, like that gambler have our stack of sins which we have committed, there is no way we can pay for our sins and get rid of the guilt. But the law says if it is to have any binding force at all, the penalty of transgression against it must be paid.

At this point -- what hope has the sinner? None. Their transgression against the law demands their death. They are dead in their sins, there is no way they can pay anything to get out of their mess.

Thus if the gambler, that night confessed his sin, God could say, "Great" you are forgiven, == you are "just as if you had never sinned".

Now scripture makes it clear that forgiveness is not license to continue in sin. If the gambler goes back into the life of gambling he is no longer forgiven -- he has rejected the gift and must pay his debt.

That is explained in the parable of the ungrateful servant. That servant was forgiven a huge debt. The king took the lose upon himself, and the servant was free of the debt -- forgiven. But instead of being grateful and now living in his newly bestowed freedom from his sin debt in newness of life, he turned on his fellow servants with cruelty and sinful passion, which caused his sin debt to be returned upon him and he had to pay the penalty.

Justification is not license to sin --
Justification is like taking a dirty, homeless drunk from the street, who has sensed his need, but can't help himself. His redeemer pays any fines against him, and then bathing him, getting him new clothes, giving him a clean apartment and giving him a top notch job with a most respected employer in the nation, complete with all provision to overcome his alcoholism, and a kind helper to encourage him to succeed every step of the way.

Everything is done to lift him out of darkness into a meaningful life. That's what justification is like -- it is forgiveness for the repentant sinner, and being placed into a newness of life, completely by another power -- the power of Christ, and the "helper" the Holy Spirit.

Now he has a choice -- he can, in grateful love take hold of this new life, overcome his alcoholism and seek to rightly represent his employer, leaning on the "kind helper" who encourages him and helps him to succeed every step of the way. That's growing in sanctification.

Or -- he can go back to the street and his bottle and be lost.

I also noticed you were using a sentence from this quote earlier but omitted one word which completely changed it's meaning. (Though you did quote the full thing eventually)

Quote:
"The atonement of Christ is not a mere skilful way to have our sins pardoned; it is a divine remedy for the cure of transgression and the restoration of spiritual health. It is the heaven-ordained means by which the righteousness of Christ may be not only upon us, but in our hearts and characters. {Lt406-1906}

You wrote: "The atonement of Christ is not a skillful way to have our sins pardoned."

by omitting the word "mere" you completely reversed the meaning.

mere (means ALSO or "not only" or "there's something more than what is specified" )
For example it's not merely hot outside, it is humid.
Does not mean (It is not hot outside)

Thus the atonement of Christ IS NOT ONLY a skillful way to have our sins pardoned, it is also the Divine remedy to cure and restore spiritual health.

Re: Does the Bible Teach that Everybody Is Saved, or that Some Are Saved? [Re: Daryl] #181157
07/25/16 04:13 AM
07/25/16 04:13 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
APL -- why do you omit my references to the changed life, the newness of life in Christ, etc. etc. -- and then blow so much steam that I supposedly believe everyone is handed a blanket card of forgiveness with no regard how this fits in with renewal.

Did you even read the post?
Oh, I read the post. The "mere" payment of a penalty does not salvation provide, does it. You claim it provides some legal what ever. But we are not in legal trouble, we are in real trouble.
Quote:
You wrote: "The atonement of Christ is not a skillful way to have our sins pardoned."

by omitting the word "mere" you completely reversed the meaning.

mere (means ALSO or "not only" or "there's something more than what is specified" )
Thus the atonement of Christ IS NOT ONLY a skillful way to have our sins pardoned, it is also the Divine remedy to cure and restore spiritual health.
NOW who is not reading posts? And WHO is not ADDING to the quotation? The word ALSO is not in there. The divine remedy is the removal of sin, the cleaning of all unrighteousness. This is the only way a sinner can be saved. This is what 1 John 1:9 is talking about. And if you think I did not quote the whole qoutation, which I have multiple times on this site, let me refresh your memory, please see: http://www.maritime-sda-online.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=181146#Post181146

Oh - the word mere as used in this quote is used to emphasize that something is not large or important. The atonement is not a skillful way to pardon sin, that is not the important thing. The atonement is a divine remedy for the CURE OF TRANSGRESSION. That is what is important.

Last edited by APL; 07/25/16 04:18 AM.

Re: Does the Bible Teach that Everybody Is Saved, or that Some Are Saved? [Re: APL] #181159
07/25/16 05:17 AM
07/25/16 05:17 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Dedication: The question isn’t how they are punished, you APL don't believe transgression needs to be punished. Just that SOME will reap the results of sin.

APL: Where do I say "some"? Yes, the question is HOW. You believe that sin is not that horrible, that it does not cause death…. Transgressors do receive punishment for sin, but the question is HOW? Your idea that God MUST inflict the punishment by direct action of execution makes God out to be a repugnant dictator.

Dedication: I stand by my statement, your post clearly shows it to be true. You don't believe transgression needs to be punished. Just that SOME will reap the results of sin.
Are you expecting to reap the end result of sin – eternal death?
You deny that Christ took your guilt and suffered the punishment for your sins – you state on page 24 of this thread that He was slain by sin, NOT FOR SIN. You state in the post above, that someone taking the penalty for another’s sin is a violation of scripture. You deny that Christ suffered the penalty for your sin. Thus you do not believe transgressions need to be punished.

APL: Our transgression does not need to be punish for what it needs is to be is cured

Dedication: You confirmed my first point -- You don’t believe transgression needs to be punished. Just that SOME will reap the results of sin.

God has given in His word decisive evidence that He will punish the transgressors of His law. Those who flatter themselves that He is too merciful to execute justice upon the sinner, have only to look to the cross of Calvary. The death of the spotless Son of God testifies that "the wages of sin is death," that every violation of God's law must receive its just retribution. Christ the sinless became sin for man. He bore the guilt of transgression, and the hiding of His Father's face, until His heart was broken and His life crushed out. All this sacrifice was made that sinners might be redeemed. [/u]In no other way could man be freed from the penalty of sin. [/u]And every soul that refuses to become a partaker of the atonement provided at such a cost must bear in his own person the guilt and punishment of transgression…. {DD 16.4}

Dedication: You fail to understand what it means that all have sinned,
--that all are guilty before God.
That includes YOU -- it includes ALL, everyone.
Facing the law of God all, that includes everyone, is guilty all are condemned to death, all have forfeited life because of their transgression.
That "all" includes YOU.

APL: Have I claimed to be without sin? Have I claimed that sinners are not condemned to death?...
The wages of sin is death! Repeat - the wages of sin is death. The HOW comes back in to question

Dedication: I didn’t say you claimed to be without sin.
I implied that you do not believe there is any punishment for your transgressions. Yes, you have sinned as all have sinned. You have transgressed God’s law, for all have transgressed God’s law. Thus in your response you have acknowledged that your sins condemn you to death –
In fact you state emphatically that the wages of sin is death.

APL: WHAT are you talking about? WHAT is the plan of redemption? You sound like the devil.

Dedication: Isn’t your view of “redemption” to become good enough with God’s help so the punishment due you as a transgressor of God’s law will be waived, ignored, put aside?
I agree with your statement that it sounds like the devil, for it denies Christ our Substitute.

You seem to believe that if you just manage to become good enough (with help from God) that you can then side step the punishment that is due you as you have transgressed God's law. In the theology you have adopted, all the sinning in your life will not reap any serious punishment if you eventually become good and obedient enough and thus you think the punishment for your transgressions is simply pushed aside, ignored.

APL: Christ's death is not a skillful way to pardon sin. Our transgression does not need to be punish for what it needs is to be is cured. The Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. Gave Himself for me to do what? Just be punished? That is a violation of Ezekiel 18. Christ gave His life to procure the divine remedy for transgression. His death was not a legal transaction, it was a healing, restorative transaction.

DEDICATION: A half truth, is a whole falsehood.
And Yes, healing is part of the plan as well, a forgiven sinner, who abides in Christ will find newness of life in Christ, no longer serving sin, but living for Christ.
Ezekiel is speaking of our personal responsibility for our sins, no ordinary human can bare my sins and be my substitute, but the Creator of the human race can take the sins of the whole human race and pay the penalty—for He created them and thus open the door of salvation for them.

Christ on the cross, not only draws men to repentance toward God for the transgression of His law--for whom God pardons He first makes penitent-- but Christ has satisfied justice; He has proffered Himself as an atonement. His gushing blood, His broken body, satisfy the claims of the broken law, and thus He bridges the gulf which sin has made. He suffered in the flesh that with His bruised and broken body He might cover the defenseless sinner. (MS 50, 1900). {7BC 974.2}

DEDICATION: If you reject the awesome way God found to uphold the demands of the law and still forgive sinners, then Christ died in vain for your sins, and you must take your own punishment in the end. For, you have transgressed God's law -- you have sinned and the law demands your death -- no matter how many sinful habits you conquer.

Quote:
The law cannot remit the penalty for sin, but charges the sinner with all his debt, Christ has promised abundant pardon to all who repent, and believe in His mercy. The love of God is extended in abundance to the repenting, believing soul. The brand of sin upon the soul can be effaced only through the blood of the atoning Sacrifice. No less an offering was required than the sacrifice of Him who was equal with the Father. [1SM 371]

God gave His own dear Son--one equal with Himself--to bear the penalty of transgression, and thus He provided a way by which they might be restored to His favor,…
If the law could be changed, man might have been saved without the sacrifice of Christ; but the fact that it was necessary for Christ to give His life for the fallen race, proves that the law of God will not release the sinner from its claims upon him. It is demonstrated that the wages of sin is death…The very fact that Christ bore the penalty of man's transgression is a mighty argument to all created intelligences that the law is changeless; that God is righteous, merciful, and self-denying; and that infinite justice and mercy unite in the administration of His government. {PP 70.1}

But according to your theology, the law can be put aside, ignored, for the law demands your death because you have transgressed God's law, but you imply that it can be ignored if you just become good eventually.

APL: Where have I ever implied that the Law of God can be ignored?

DEDICATION: The law of God is ignored when we say our transgressions of that law don’t matter in all situations. Implying that the wages of your transgression of the law are not death. You believe if you become good enough (law abiding enough) eventually, that sins’ wages of all your transgression of God's law, will be waived.

APL: So by God to restore a sinner back into compliance of the law, that is insufficient for you….What happens when Christ applies the divine remedy that He has procured? That remedy He established at an infinite cost!!! Your LEGAL attitude to sin is just assounding. Why is Satan not fit to return to heaven? Is it because Christ was not punished enough for his sins? Or is it rather that His sin is INCURABLE?

DEDICATION: What does scripture say?
Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law [is] the knowledge of sin.
“We must center our hopes of heaven upon Christ alone, because He is our Substitute and Surety. We have transgressed the law of God, and by the deeds of the law shall no flesh be justified.{FR 193}

The problem is – your remedy is something quite different ==
Sin—the transgression of God’s law comes by rebellion to God’s law.
The “remedy” isn’t some infused medicine that drives out a virus, the remedy is Christ dying to release us from the penalty of sin. We are on “death row” without Him, in bondage to sin, slaves to sin, trapped in sin, dead in sin. By freely offering us pardon and justification, He releases us from that bondage. Study romans 6, baptism symbolizes us dying with Christ – that is, our sinful self dying with Christ – He paid the penalty of that old sinful self – we are now to reckon it dead, and we rise to newness of life, in Him, to walk with Him in paths of righteousness.
It’s true that rebellion can never be admitted into heaven. This requires a change in THOUGHT patterns, not a remedy against a virus. Love for Christ, gratitude for the redemption He has bought for us at such a high price, these things have the power to change rebellion into allegiance and total loyalty.
Satan’s “incurability” lies in his total commitment to rebellion against God and His law.

Last edited by dedication; 07/25/16 05:23 AM.
Re: Does the Bible Teach that Everybody Is Saved, or that Some Are Saved? [Re: dedication] #181160
07/25/16 11:02 AM
07/25/16 11:02 AM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Quote:
dedication: Now to Elle's position on Isaiah 45:23 and the added word "allegiance".

Is 45:23 I have sworn by Myself, the word has gone forth from My mouth in righteousness and will not turn back, that to Me every knee will bow, every tongue will swear allegiance; They will say of Me, “Only in the Lord are righteousness and strength…”

dedication : The word "allegiance" was added, it's not in the original.

Elle defines the meaning of the word swear : These are the possibilities that comes to mind. If there's others, please let me know :

a) to swear whatever you are saying is the truth : it could be in a court of law, or to an individual, or to a group of people. This is not the case in this context.

b) to swear that you keep your end of the bargan-contract, your words, or keep this charge. This is also not the case in this context.

c) to swear an allegiance to an authority, to your leader, to a god, to a country, etc... This does fit this context because #1 they have bowed their knee before hand which means they had submitted to someone.

Yes, there is the fourth option:

d)to admit the person in authority is right, and submit to one's punishment as just, though the heart still hates the fact that they lost.

???? To admit that someone is right is NOT a definition of swearing or making an oath.

Then let us suppose that you have brought a valid 4th definition of the word swear --- Your choice of definition (either a) b) c) or d)) has to fit the context of the Biblical text. Your 4th definition doesn't fit either the context as I have shown in Post#179604

However the definition of c)"to swear allegiance" does perfectly fit the context and is a valid word definition of "swear". The translation I've quoted did not add any word -- it only expressed in English what the Hebrew word shaba' means in the context.

Strong's definition of shaba' H7650: propr. to be complete, but used only as a denominative from H7651; to seven oneself, i.e. swear (as if by repeating a declaration seven times).

To bring this into context to this discussion, according to Is 45:22-25 ALL, not some, will repent and "confess that Jesus-Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father" (Phil 2:9-11). No one can say such things without being filled by the Holy Spirit because 1Cor 12:3 tells us, "no one can say "Jesus is Lord" except by the Holy Spirit".

Thus all of these individuals (the unbelievers and the evil-believers-who-were-cast-out-of-the-Kingdom) will come to repentance and accept Jesus as Lord just like me and you have. What the Lord has accomplished in you and I, he will accomplish in all others. This is the meaning of the first fruit harvest -- it is a promise that the remaining crops will be harvested.

Blessings
Page 27 of 32 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 31 32

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 10:58 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!