HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Doubt: is it a problem today #182871
03/22/17 09:05 PM
03/22/17 09:05 PM
G
Garywk  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
In my study today I came across the following quote from the beginning of a sermon given by Ellen White at Battle Creek in March of 1890. It is quite illuminating as to what she saw as the great besetting sin of God's people down through time, including her time and ours. It is the opening paragraph of her sermon that day.

The quote can be found in Manuscript 2, 1890.

Quote:
I want to say a few words in reference to faith. I want to say, brethren and sisters, it is not natural for us to believe, but it is very natural for us to foster unbelief. This is the besetting sin, and has been the besetting sin of God’s people. It has not been natural for me to believe for myself, and I have had very severe lessons on this point until I know that it is not safe for me to cherish for one moment any doubt. I never doubted the truth; but to cherish doubt in regard to myself and my work.

As I read this I realized that this is very true. I have often doubted things, not the truths we have been given, but doubt concerning God really being in control of things, both inside and outside of my life. I have to say that these doubts of mine are lessening as a result of the trials I have undergone in the last 20 years. God has shown me that every time He brings me to a wall through which I can see no way around, through, or over, He opens a door through it if I will simply put my trust in Him. It is learning that lesson of trusting when things are the darkest and most formidable that God has been working on with me for a long time. I tend to trust too much to my abilities as He has given me a rather unique combination of valuable talents. To overcome that He has had to bring me to the point of utter hopelessness in myself. I count this as a major blessing for it has opened doors of faith that I never knew existed, and I must say that I brought a lot of it on myself for I have asked God to teach me the things I needed to know so that I might be fitted for heaven.

God really does answer prayer, but not always in the way we expect it.

Re: Doubt: is it a problem today [Re: ] #183221
04/10/17 01:23 PM
04/10/17 01:23 PM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
Originally Posted By: Gary K
In my study today I came across the following quote from the beginning of a sermon given by Ellen White at Battle Creek in March of 1890. It is quite illuminating as to what she saw as the great besetting sin of God's people down through time, including her time and ours. It is the opening paragraph of her sermon that day.

The quote can be found in Manuscript 2, 1890.

Quote:
I want to say a few words in reference to faith. I want to say, brethren and sisters, it is not natural for us to believe, but it is very natural for us to foster unbelief. This is the besetting sin, and has been the besetting sin of God’s people. It has not been natural for me to believe for myself, and I have had very severe lessons on this point until I know that it is not safe for me to cherish for one moment any doubt. I never doubted the truth; but to cherish doubt in regard to myself and my work.

As I read this I realized that this is very true. I have often doubted things, not the truths we have been given, but doubt concerning God really being in control of things, both inside and outside of my life. I have to say that these doubts of mine are lessening as a result of the trials I have undergone in the last 20 years. God has shown me that every time He brings me to a wall through which I can see no way around, through, or over, He opens a door through it if I will simply put my trust in Him. It is learning that lesson of trusting when things are the darkest and most formidable that God has been working on with me for a long time. I tend to trust too much to my abilities as He has given me a rather unique combination of valuable talents. To overcome that He has had to bring me to the point of utter hopelessness in myself. I count this as a major blessing for it has opened doors of faith that I never knew existed, and I must say that I brought a lot of it on myself for I have asked God to teach me the things I needed to know so that I might be fitted for heaven.

God really does answer prayer, but not always in the way we expect it.

Another reason doubt can be so easy is because we don't know what to expect a lot of times. It seems like guess work figuring out what God is really up to? You might wait years before God finally gets through what He actually meant. And if it is very far from what you expected, it can hurt extremely.

I understand why Job wished he had never been born. He didn't want the world to go back to, but, walking in the way gets very painful with too many bad surprises.

Re: Doubt: is it a problem today [Re: ] #184995
08/26/17 09:49 PM
08/26/17 09:49 PM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Looking at the rest of the sermon --- March, 16, 1890

This sermon was preached two years after the 1888 conference.
The conflict over righteousness by faith was still very much in people's minds.
It gave sister White great sorrow--

Quote:
I have great sorrow of heart--I have had nearly ever since the Minneapolis meeting--and I will tell you why. Because God has been speaking to me as He has done for the last forty-five years, and I have presented these matters, and the brethren have known and have seen the fruits, and yet unbelief has come right in. But why?

Then comes a startling statement:

Quote:
The trouble is, the Spirit is not in them. And they never will search these things to see if they are so. {1SAT 143.2}

They were rejecting the strong movement of the Holy Spirit on their hearts. In a sense they were rejecting salvation in Christ, the only means of salvation.

Quote:
The reason why I felt so at Minneapolis was that I have seen that everyone who has taken a position similar to the one they took in Minneapolis would go into the darkest unbelief. Have we not seen it acted over and over again? Then when we see just how Christ was tried, when He came upon earth; when we see the hardness of the hearts; when we see what the enemy can do with human nature, putting unbelief into the heart, I should think it would be such a terror to our souls that we would not dare to open the heart to the miseries of unbelief and dwell in that atmosphere, such as there has been since we were in Minneapolis. {1SAT 143.3}

She is comparing the rejection of the message "righteousness by faith" to the Jewish leaders rejecting Christ as their Messiah. The end point of such rejection is the darkest point of unbelief!

Quote:
Well, we wonder why Christ prayed with such an agony. It was not for His own sake, but it was because of the hardness of hearts, that notwithstanding He was the Way, the Truth, and the Life, yet people were so hardened that they could not see it and accept it. And as you took their steps, here was my trouble. As they took their steps in the path of unbelief that day, others are taking the same steps this day, and my grief is the same as Christ's was. They are placing themselves where there is no reserve power that God has to reach them with. Every arrow in His quiver is exhausted. {1SAT 144.1}

This ties in with our Sabbath School lesson this week -- Paul's pastoral agony over the Galatian Christians who were doubting their salvation in Christ, and seeking to preform rituals in order to win the favor of God.

Re: Doubt: is it a problem today [Re: ] #184997
08/26/17 10:08 PM
08/26/17 10:08 PM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
The next sermon talks more about faith versus doubt --July 22, 1891

Quote:
I am riding in the same boat with yourself, trusting for salvation in the merits of a crucified and risen Saviour. I want salvation, I want eternal life, and I must know the conditions of my obtaining life eternal. You must know it. {1SAT 152.1}

And where are the conditions

Quote:
It is perfect submission to God. Our wills must be submerged in the will of God. In coming to Jesus it is to feel that there is no help for us except in Jesus; (when the Father) gave His Son for the life of the world He is of no avail to anyone who does not receive Him by faith as their personal Saviour.

Faith is perfect submission to God. Placing our wills under God's will. Faith believes in Christ's death and resurrection for our salvation, and takes that further into our own lives.
With Christ dying to sin, and with Christ rising to new life in Him.

Doubt then is thinking God doesn't know what we need, or won't supply what we need, and we start rationalizing His will and commands and doubting His ability to save us from sin.

Quote:
Now, if there is a spot or wrinkle in your character, is it not now the very time for you to begin to understand what that defilement is, that you may trust in the blood of Christ to wash it away? {1SAT 153.1}
"How shall I," says the trembling one, "put it away?" You are to put it away by believing that Christ is your Saviour today, and that He cleanses you from all unrighteousness. You have the lesson in the word that was spoken. When tempted to speak wrong, and do wrong, resist Satan and say, "I will not surrender my will to your control." I will cooperate with divine power, and through grace be conqueror." {1SAT 153.2}

This agrees with what Paul says in Romans six.
When we are baptized into Christ, we take Him as our Savior.
We accept His death as death to our sin.
We BELIEVE those sins are gone and we are to reckon ourselves dead to sin, and alive in Christ!

Quote:
The temptations will surround us just as long as we live. Satan will try us in one way, and if he doesn't overcome us he will try us in another way. And thus his efforts will never cease. But we are always to remember that we are members of the royal family, subjects of the heavenly King, and we are born anew with a new character unto God. The old cheap character, the frivolous character, the character which leads to the world, to pride, to vanity, and to folly, we have parted with that. We have left that, but not in our own strength. We have asked wisdom of God, and He says He giveth to all men--how? In such a stinted measure? No, liberally; and what? Upbraideth not. {1SAT 154.2}

Do we have the faith?

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!