HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,127 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Christ Never Observed the Ceremonial Law [Re: Elle] #182923
03/25/17 01:37 PM
03/25/17 01:37 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Hi Elle,

The answers to your questions, at least as well as I understand them for some of them leave me a little hazy as to exactly what you mean.

1. I wrote that about the Bible. That was the context of what I was talking about. I know you don't accept Ellen White so it didn't even enter my head to include Ellen White in that question.

2.This one I am hazy on as to what you are really asking. The scriptures are God's greatest revelation to us. Whether or not we immediately grasp all that God is trying to say to us in scripture is irrelevant to me as the scriptures are still God's revelation of Himself and how He interacts with humanity whether I grasp the lesson being taught in some particular passage or not. I guess I'm trying to say revelation does not depend on my understanding it to be revelation.

The scriptures are the place I go see if my thinking on a spiritual subject is correct. I judge my ideas by scripture as to whether they are correct or not, not the other way around.

3. I'm even hazier on this question. Yes, the Torah is/was prophetic in nature. The entire Bible is. But some parts of it are clearly not prophetic in nature. The book of Proverbs has little in it that is prophetic, but rather is very instructive about human nature. Other parts of the OT are instructive too, rather than prophetic. Same with some of the writings of Paul. His commentary on carnal nature vs the fruit of the Spirit is not prophetic in nature but is educational so that we can understand what and who God really wants us to be. I think it's a mistake to try to spiritualize away that which is instructional by trying to make it prophetic in some way.

4. I'm even hazier on my understanding of this question. What was Jesus supposed to fulfill in that specific instance? The entire chapter has things that are prophetic in nature in that they are symbolic of Christ coming as the Messiah, but to make everything somehow prophetic when they were actually pointing back in time to God bringing Israel out of Egypt just seems like a mistake to me. The overall instruction about the Israelites on how they came out of Egypt into Canaan is prophetic in one sense. It is symbolic of us coming out the world and entering the heavenly Canaan, but I can't see how each tiny part of it is specifically prophetic.

Furthermore, some prophetic parts of the Torah has a single specific fulfillment as they pointed to Christ, and when He came He fulfilled those prophecies. How could they have multiple prophetic meanings as there will never be another Messiah? There will never be another Messiah. To think that might be so is to me an insult to Christ's life and death and that His sacrifice is somehow an incomplete sacrifice for sin. This area is where your questions get really confusing to me as to what you are really trying to get at. It seems to me that you are trying to force meanings into things that were never meant to be there.

5. The moral law is what we will be judged by. Jesus made that plain enough multiple times. I see nothing at all in scripture that says I will be judged on whether or not I sacrifice a lamb as an offering for a sin I have committed or I wear a piece of clothing made out of multiple types of thread. Do you? And do you think that is something that is required of us? When you start trying to make everything to have multiple meanings the areas you can get into can get really strange. Yes, some prophecies have dual fulfillments but that doesn't mean they all do, and some instruction has more than one purpose, but that doesn't mean all instruction from God has more than one purpose.

The last question under 5 simply leaves me puzzled. I have no idea as to what you are referring to.

Last edited by Gary K; 03/25/17 01:51 PM.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Never Observed the Ceremonial Law [Re: ] #182932
03/25/17 06:48 PM
03/25/17 06:48 PM
N
Nadi  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2020
Canada
Originally Posted By: Gary K
The scriptures are the place I go see if my thinking on a spiritual subject is correct. I judge my ideas by scripture as to whether they are correct or not, not the other way around.

But...
You also have a certain understanding of Scripture.
Therefore, to judge [your] ideas by scripture is really to judge your ideas by your ideas of scripture, which is actually a circular argument.

The best we can hope for, IMO, is to diligently strive to identify our own biases, which involves actively researching both sides of a viewpoint, and clearly understanding the dynamics of the various views. This helps to identify the strengths and weaknesses of ones position.

"Our vision is often more obstructed by what we think we know than by our lack of knowledge." K. Stendahl
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Never Observed the Ceremonial Law [Re: ] #182935
03/25/17 07:50 PM
03/25/17 07:50 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Hi Elle,

The answers to your questions, at least as well as I understand them for some of them leave me a little hazy as to exactly what you mean.

1. I wrote that about the Bible. That was the context of what I was talking about. I know you don't accept Ellen White so it didn't even enter my head to include Ellen White in that question.

2.This one I am hazy on as to what you are really asking. The scriptures are God's greatest revelation to us. Whether or not we immediately grasp all that God is trying to say to us in scripture is irrelevant to me as the scriptures are still God's revelation of Himself and how He interacts with humanity whether I grasp the lesson being taught in some particular passage or not. I guess I'm trying to say revelation does not depend on my understanding it to be revelation.

3. I'm even hazier on this question. Yes, the Torah is/was prophetic in nature. The entire Bible is. But some parts of it are clearly not prophetic in nature. The book of Proverbs has little in it that is prophetic, but rather is very instructive about human nature. Other parts of the OT are instructive too, rather than prophetic. Same with some of the writings of Paul. His commentary on carnal nature vs the fruit of the Spirit is not prophetic in nature but is educational so that we can understand what and who God really wants us to be. I think it's a mistake to try to spiritualize away that which is instructional by trying to make it prophetic in some way.

4. I'm even hazier on my understanding of this question. What was Jesus supposed to fulfill in that specific instance? The entire chapter has things that are prophetic in nature in that they are symbolic of Christ coming as the Messiah, but to make everything somehow prophetic when they were actually pointing back in time to God bringing Israel out of Egypt just seems like a mistake to me. The overall instruction about the Israelites on how they came out of Egypt into Canaan is prophetic in one sense. It is symbolic of us coming out the world and entering the heavenly Canaan, but I can't see how each tiny part of it is specifically prophetic.

Furthermore, some prophetic parts of the Torah has a single specific fulfillment as they pointed to Christ, and when He came He fulfilled those prophecies. How could they have multiple prophetic meanings as there will never be another Messiah? There will never be another Messiah. To think that might be so is to me an insult to Christ's life and death and that His sacrifice is somehow an incomplete sacrifice for sin. This area is where your questions get really confusing to me as to what you are really trying to get at. It seems to me that you are trying to force meanings into things that were never meant to be there.

5. The moral law is what we will be judged by. Jesus made that plain enough multiple times. I see nothing at all in scripture that says I will be judged on whether or not I sacrifice a lamb as an offering for a sin I have committed or I wear a piece of clothing made out of multiple types of thread. Do you? And do you think that is something that is required of us? When you start trying to make everything to have multiple meanings the areas you can get into can get really strange. Yes, some prophecies have dual fulfillments but that doesn't mean they all do, and some instruction has more than one purpose, but that doesn't mean all instruction from God has more than one purpose.

The last question under 5 simply leaves me puzzled. I have no idea as to what you are referring to.

Tx Gary for taking the time to reply to all of my questions with openness and sincerity. This will help. I'll get back to this later when time permits. Tx again.

Blessings
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Never Observed the Ceremonial Law [Re: Nadi] #182937
03/25/17 08:08 PM
03/25/17 08:08 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Nadi

But...
Therefore, to judge [your] ideas by scripture is really to judge your ideas by your ideas of scripture, which is actually a circular argument.

The best we can hope for, IMO, is to diligently strive to identify our own biases, which involves actively researching both sides of a viewpoint, and clearly understanding the dynamics of the various views. This helps to identify the strengths and weaknesses of ones position.

Good points, & I agree.

Not that Nadi had said this or believe in this; but I want to make clear that I still wouldn't consider this level of intellectual process as "revelation".

Blessings
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Never Observed the Ceremonial Law [Re: Nadi] #182938
03/25/17 08:12 PM
03/25/17 08:12 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa

But...

We have the promise of Jesus that contradicts your statement that is based upon Greek thinking. He said, I will send you a Comforter who will lead you into all truth. If we surrender self to God He will lead us into all of His truth. We can trust His promises as He keeps His word. Part and parcel of that surrender is surrendering our own biases. I do not study the word of God without asking Him to ensure that I do not study to fulfill/support my own biases. I have no reason to think that God will not do that for me based upon the promise given us by Jesus that I paraphrased here. I fully trust Him to keep His word to us.

I do not find that applying principles of pagan thinking to God's word to be a reasonable approach to studying God's word. They are at opposite ends of the spectrum of spiritual knowledge. What it seems to me that you are suggesting is that all other sources are equal in validity and truth to the Bible, and that is simply not true.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Never Observed the Ceremonial Law [Re: Elle] #182942
03/25/17 10:58 PM
03/25/17 10:58 PM
N
Nadi  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2020
Canada
Originally Posted By: Elle
Not that Nadi had said this or believe in this; but I want to make clear that I still wouldn't consider this level of intellectual process as "revelation".

Elle in this case I agree with you. It is nowhere near "revelation. Unless Gary has a different idea of revelation. However, he has not yet defined his idea of "revelation."

"Our vision is often more obstructed by what we think we know than by our lack of knowledge." K. Stendahl
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Never Observed the Ceremonial Law [Re: ] #182943
03/25/17 11:23 PM
03/25/17 11:23 PM
N
Nadi  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2020
Canada
We have the promise of Jesus that contradicts your statement that is based upon Greek thinking.

I do not find that applying principles of pagan thinking to God's word to be a reasonable approach to studying God's word. They are at opposite ends of the spectrum of spiritual knowledge. What it seems to me that you are suggesting is that all other sources are equal in validity and truth to the Bible, and that is simply not true.

Since you have also been born and raised in the Western world it stands to reason that your thinking is as much "Greek" as mine. This is somewhat analogous to the pot calling the kettle black. (Yes, this is an assumption on my part, but I'm guessing I'm not far wrong.)

I have asked several questions in previous posts to try to understand your point of view. Up to now you have studiously avoided answering them, and resisted offering your view of "revelation." Yet now I am charged with "suggesting... that all other sources are equal in validity and truth to the Bible, and that is simply not true." This I see as unfair, since I have offered no viewpoint of any kind, but only asked for clarity on yours.

First let me say that I really appreciate your honesty with me. You are straight out, up front, and direct. You cannot know how much I appreciate that.

I also would appreciate "honesty...straight out, up front, and direct."

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Never Observed the Ceremonial Law [Re: Nadi] #182967
03/26/17 05:43 PM
03/26/17 05:43 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
We have the promise of Jesus that contradicts your statement that is based upon Greek thinking.

Since you have also been born and raised in the Western world it stands to reason that your thinking is as much "Greek" as mine. This is somewhat analogous to the pot calling the kettle black. (Yes, this is an assumption on my part, but I'm guessing I'm not far wrong.)

I have asked several questions in previous posts to try to understand your point of view. Up to now you have studiously avoided answering them, and resisted offering your view of "revelation." Yet now I am charged with "suggesting... that all other sources are equal in validity and truth to the Bible, and that is simply not true." This I see as unfair, since I have offered no viewpoint of any kind, but only asked for clarity on yours.

First let me say that I really appreciate your honesty with me. You are straight out, up front, and direct. You cannot know how much I appreciate that.

I also would appreciate "honesty...straight out, up front, and direct."

First off I have been honest, straight out, up front, and direct with you. I have answered every question of yours exactly as I understood it.

And, yes, I have been educated the same way you have. However, over the last few years I have learned to set aside my natural tendency toward tearing things from the Bible apart. It started when I began to realize just how much of an effect the way I was educated had on my approach to the Bible. I just accept the Bible, as it is written, and from that point begin comparing scripture with scripture. I use Strong's to look at the underlying Greek and Hebrew.

When you said, "looking at things from all angles" I took that to mean including the kind of so-called scholarship that organizations such as the Jesus Seminar indulges in, and that the group that published the "Open Bible" used. Their scholarship is so anti-Biblical that it leads them to reject the divinity of Christ, the inspiration of the Bible, and much more. I took it that way because that type of "logic" is becoming quite common in Christian circles. If you didn't mean that I apologize for the misunderstanding.

That people, including myself, use or have used, the principles of Greek thinking/logic because of our educational system's bias towards that type of logic doesn't mean I think any less of them. It is who we are. It becomes a part of us because it surrounds us daily.

I still use that type of logic outside of Bible study. I tear non-inspired sources apart and look for logical errors. I just don't do that with the Bible anymore.

What did I not answer about revelation, to your satisfaction? I answered the question as I understood it within the context of what was being talked about.

Last edited by Gary K; 03/26/17 05:46 PM.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Never Observed the Ceremonial Law [Re: Daryl] #182970
03/26/17 08:21 PM
03/26/17 08:21 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Nadi,

I get the feeling from your posts that I am somehow being unreasonable and judgmental in saying that Greek thinking dominates our culture and that we are highly influenced by it.

Read the following links.

http://www.leadershipclassics.org/AncientGreekCulture&Civilization.html

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-to...tter-today.html

https://blog.udemy.com/greek-philosophy/

Now tell me how I am being unreasonable or judgmental in what I have said about the influence of Greek thinking on our culture.

The Greek influence in our culture is so embedded that we are almost unconscious of it in our everyday lives. Aristotle, Plato, and Socrates, as well as other Greek thinkers are held up as wise, intelligent people from whom we should still be learning today, and their ideas are. and have been for centuries, put into place all around us. That they were not Christian, but pagan, is a foregone conclusion, as we do not see them promoting Christian/Jewish ideals and solutions to the world's problems.

Is it reasonable to apply their modes of thought to God's word in attempting to understand it? Is not their mode of thought one that comes from the enemy of God and mankind, the devil, since they do not promote God as the solution to the problems the address and source of the ideas they promote?

The rationalists of the 18th and 19th centuries applied the ideals of "reason", originally taught by the Greeks, to all things scriptural and taught people to be skeptical of all revelation from God. They rejected inspiration from God. They made out Isaiah and Homer to be "inspired" on the same level, but gave the nod to Homer because he used Greek instead of Hebrew as the language with which he wrote. They denied miracles because, well, to their "scientific" minds miracles could not happen. They denied the divinity of Christ because a virgin just couldn't give birth in their view of the world.

The fact that there is some wisdom associated with Greek thinking makes it all the more dangerous to the world. The devil has always included some truth with his deceptions. He started that way in deceiving the angels in heaven and he continued that in his deception of Eve. He has never abandoned that strategy. He even used it with Jesus in the wilderness temptations. He quoted parts of scripture to Him. He just used it deceptively.

We cannot out think him. He is far more intelligent than we are. Plus he has been studying human nature for the entire time humanity has existed. His knowledge of how to deceive is way beyond our capacity to recognize it. The only way we can recognize his deceptions to is to trust fully in both God and the Bible and take the Bible as it reads. Like Paul said, it is sharper than a two-edged sword and is capable of discerning between the intent and the thought. This means we just have to take the Bible as it reads. If a passage is clearly prophetic then apply prophetic principles to it. If it is instructional study it to see exactly what the instruction is about and how far reaching it is. A couple of examples of this are what Jesus taught in the Sermon on the Mount by His expansion of what the is meant in the 10 commandments and His commentary on the Golden Rule. He often did this via parable too.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Never Observed the Ceremonial Law [Re: ] #183004
03/28/17 01:38 PM
03/28/17 01:38 PM
N
Nadi  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2020
Canada
First off I have been honest, straight out, up front, and direct with you. I have answered every question of yours exactly as I understood it.

What did I not answer about revelation, to your satisfaction? I answered the question as I understood it within the context of what was being talked about.

So I went back and re-read the posts relating to "Greek- thinking/revelation" and it is possible that we both focused on a different aspect of the discussion or question. This is probably because I did not make myself clear in what I was looking for.

I will try to lay out the exact question(s) I am seeking an answer to. Here are the two questions regarding your understanding of "learning by revelation"

Learning by revelation offers its own set of circumstances. Are you meaning that God speaks directly to the individual? I will say that if God spoke directly to me and said "This is how it is." I would have to go with that, and really, I would have no trouble with that.

But...
(This is where the Rationalism/Scepticism factors in... grin)
I don't see him doing that.

So elaborate a little more on what you intend by "revelation."

Originally Posted By: Elle
Q2 : What constitute a "revelation" to you and how does someone get a "revelation"?

Here is your response:

Going back to a previous statement:
If you look at the Bible God teaches us through revelation about Himself and how He would have us live. Creation, redemption, health, cleanliness, etc... are all taught in the Bible, as well as self-discipline, honor, duty, and much more. God taught the Israelites all these things through revelation. Thus He was teaching them to look to Him for all true learning.

Greek thinking is much different. It is based upon debate, like what Paul got into on Mars Hill. In debate, which the Greeks perfected, we look to tear apart ideas and see if they make sense to us, to our understanding of things. It makes our thinking, our ideas, the standard by which we judge all things that come across our paths.

That is much different than learning via revelation in the way God was teaching the Israelites down through the centuries.

Although I have no interest in discussing Greek thinking, I am interested in discussing your "revelation," / "learning by revelation."

In my current understanding, here are (some of) the questions:
1. If, by "revelation," you mean God speaks to us individually and tells us what we need to know, how does this operate? What areas of learning are included in this?

2. If, by "revelation," you mean God's revealed will in the Bible, how should one then understand the Bible? Are the OT Hebraic laws and customs binding on us today, since they are, after all, God's teachings?

So how does one "learn by revelation" in 2017? And what part does Isaiah 1:18 - "Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord:" - play in this idea?

Reply Quote
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!