HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,566
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 11
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (ProdigalOne, 1 invisible), 2,837 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 34 1 2 3 4 33 34
Re: Is there a Biblical/Divine calendar? #16558
11/09/05 10:03 AM
11/09/05 10:03 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
quote:
Rosangela, a Karaite rabbi from Egypt investigated this issue in the 1930's or 40's on behalf of one of our former ministers. This rabbi, who had no reason for personal bias, reported to Balenger that in 1844 the Karaites in the Egyptian community celebrated the day on September 23.
Mark,

The bold part of my last quote from Juarez's book confirms this:

"However, a long time before 1844, owing to the difficulty in obtaining accurate information from Jerusalem, the Karaites afar from Palestine had abandoned their moonsighting/barley method and were using Rabbanite reckoning."

The 15th century Karaite Hacham Elijah Baschyatchi writes:

"Having explained that the beginning of the year according to the law of our Torah is according to the Abib which is found is the Land of Israel in the conditions which we have mentioned, because of our great sins we have been distanced from the Holy Land and we do not have the capability of finding the Abib, we have been forced to follow the Calculation of Intercalation like that done by our brothers the Rabbanites..." (From Aderet Eliyahu by Elijah Baschyatchi, Israel 1966, p.39a (written in the 15th century) [translation from the Hebrew by Nehemia Gordon])

Re: Is there a Biblical/Divine calendar? #16559
11/09/05 10:50 AM
11/09/05 10:50 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
quote:
Additionally, I have not seen any evidence that the Millerites relied on Karaite reckoning. Maybe they relied on the Astronomical Book. Roseangela, are you aware of any primary sources from the Millererites that would confirm that either way?
Excerpts from Juarez's book:

As the following quotations show, the Millerites were well aware that Tishri 1 for the orthodox Jews was on September 14 and that their Yom Kippur was on September 23 that year:

"In this city, the Jews observed Monday, Sept. 23d, as the tenth day of the seventh month, but in this, of course, they follow the reckoning of the rabbinical Jews, and they are probably one month too early."[The Midnight Cry, October 3, 1844, p. 101]

"We have told our readers that the Jews in this city commenced their seventh month, sacred time, or first month, civil time, with the 14th or 15th of September." [Idem, October 31, 1844, p. 142]

"The Jewish sacred year commences with a new moon in the Spring. According to the common Jewish calendar, the present sacred year began March 19, or 20, and the Passover was April 4th; but if this was too early for the barley harvest in Judea, then the year must have commenced one month later, that is, about the 18th of April." [The Midnight Cry, october 11, 1844, p. 117]

When the Millerites decided to choose a date a month later than the Rabbanites to begin the year, they seem to have based their conclusions on the fact that "the accounts of many travelers" confirmed that the barley was not ripe for passover the way the Rabbanites calculated the beginning of the year, because "barley is not in the ear in Jerusalem till a month later" [The Midnight Cry, Oct. 11, 1844, p. 117].

For further details about the subject, see Bob Pickle's article "Karaite Reckoning vs. Rabbanite Reckoning: Was October 22 the Right Date, or Was It September 23?" at http://www.pickle-publishing.com/papers/karaite-reckoning-1844.htm

Re: Is there a Biblical/Divine calendar? #16560
11/10/05 01:10 AM
11/10/05 01:10 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Thanks Rosangela. The Midnight Cry quote is good evidence that the Millerites indeed used Karaite reckoning.

But the method itself is questionable at best for the reasons I've given above. I will say again that there is no doubt in my mind that the Millerites arrived at the right date, but the fact that they did not have the right date on two earlier occassions should put us on notice that they were prone to error like all of us, and should underscore for us the real possiblity that although the date is right, that may be inspite of the incorrect method used to reach it.

I'll continue soon with the evidence of how the Astronomical Book is a good fit with scripture.

Re: Is there a Biblical/Divine calendar? #16561
11/10/05 10:32 AM
11/10/05 10:32 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Mark,

The people of Israel had to observe the barley harvests in order to have ripe barley for the wave sheaf at Passover. Were they incorrect?

Re: Is there a Biblical/Divine calendar? #16562
11/10/05 01:32 PM
11/10/05 01:32 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
The barley offering was only one of several offerings that were prescribed. For example, if the olive harvest failed for several years in a row as it did in Elijah's day, it may have been physically impossible to do replenish the oil for the lamps, to mix oil with the grain offering, to anoint the new priests and rulers etc. That does not pose a serious challenge to the integrety of the sacrificial system if the calendar itself remains intact. But if we insist that the New Year was calculated according to something that occasionally failed, i.e., the barley harvest, the entire system come to a halt in the years there is no harvest. Do you think that is what scripture and God intended?

Your question assumes that the Isrealites based their year on this harvest - something that the evidence does not support in my view - for the above reason and for the others I've given.

Re: Is there a Biblical/Divine calendar? #16563
11/10/05 01:34 PM
11/10/05 01:34 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
In my list of rules above, Rule 4 of the Astronomical Book divides the lunar year into two halves. The purpose of dividing the lunar year appears to be to allow for intercalated lunar months in both the spring and fall rather than only in the spring which is how the modern Jewish calendar is kept in sync with the seasons.

The modern Jewish calendar, like the calendar of the Astronomical Book places the beginning of the year in the spring close to the equinox. But, the Jewish calendar also emphasizes a separate fall-to-fall cycle: The modern Jews calculate the religious year from spring to spring, but their civil year runs from fall to fall.

In contrast, the Astronomical Book has only one starting point, but it, as I mentioned above, appears to make provision for an intercalation of an extra month in either the spring or the fall. Perhaps the modern Jewish custom of dividing the year into civil and religious cycles is a corruption of this provision and/or a corruption of the provision in the Astronomical Book for both a lunar and a solar set of months.

Regarding 1844, here is how the calendar of the Astronomical Book appears to work:

In 1844, March 17 was the first day that the days began to be longer than nights, so under Rule 1, this was the first day of the solar New Year. The first visible new moon probably (see above posts regarding probabilities for new moon sightings) occurred on March 20 and so, under Rule 5 this was the start of the lunar half year. Six lunar months after that date takes us to the new moon of September 13. If this date was after the days began to be shorter than night, no intercalated lunar month would be added. But because the days did not become shorted than the nights until Friday Sept 27 an extra month would be added so that the first new moon of the second half lunar year was Oct 12. The Day of Atonement arrived ten days later from that date. So here is another fit with scripture.

Regarding the crucifixion in 31 AD the calendar from the Astronomical Book works like this:

In 31 AD the first day that was longer than night occurred on March 18, so under Rule 1, this was the first day of the solar New Year. The first visible new moon probably (see above posts regarding probabilities for new moon sightings) occurred on April 10 and so, under Rule 5 this was the start of the lunar half year. Therefore April 24, a Thursday, was the evening of the Passover. Unlike the modern Jewish calendar, this reckoning fits with the gospel accounts that Christ ate the Passover with his disciples on a Thursday.

Re: Is there a Biblical/Divine calendar? #16564
11/10/05 06:21 PM
11/10/05 06:21 PM
Kevin H  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

New York
Hi Mark: I was only reflecting that I'd be interested in what you were studying. I do not have the information on the Jublees and 1844 beyond hearing that it is out there.

The focus on my point was that you are trying to find evidence to support the Thursday night passover, however the Thursday night last supper is only a late development tradition in Church history, only a few centuries old. The early Christian tradition had the last supper on Tuesday night, and current Biblical scholarship is saying that the evidence supports the early tradition and not the latter developed traditon, and wanted to share this with you to be aware of as you study. It gives a harmony between the synoptics and John, with Jesus cellebrating the Essene Passover on Tuesday night, being arrested early Wednesday, having a hearing and spending the required day in prision in the basement of Caiphas's house, taken back out on Thursday for the trials, thursday night beaten by the Roman soldiers, and Friday morning, the day of the Temple passover.

The Synoptic Gospels have the last supper as a passover meal, John does not, John has Jesus death as the ultamate passover meal.

But either way, the current studies do not support the latter tradtion that we read into the text of a Thursday night Last Supper, but supports the earlier tradition of a Tuesday night Last Supper. The Bible does NOT say that the Last Supper was on Thursday night! They do not give a time line but only discussed the supper, what Jesus was going through in the garden, and the trials and that Jesus was on the cross Friday morning. We impose our own timelines into the text. The early centuries of the Christian church had it streaching from Thursday to Friday. It was only later centuries that developed and started to assuming that the text had the Passover was Thursday night and that Jesus went through these trials, time in prision, and beating all within about 8 hours. But Tradition does become very strong and blinds our vision. We need to constantly keep our guard up that we are studing what the scriptures actually say and does not say. The Thursday night last supper was an assumption that developed and was read back into the text in recent centuries.

The Thursday night Last Supper is simply tradition, a late developed tradition which the early Christians did not have, and which modern COSERVATIVE Biblical scholarship and Archaeological studies have become much more open that the earlier Christians had the correct timeline. For further study may I recommend James Flemings "The Last Supper and Crucifiction as Passover" as well as others of his studies on the Crucufiction, including some of his note books which have extensive resources for further studies. You can find their website put in Jim Fleming and Biblical Resources in your search window. Dr. Fleming is the founder and director of Biblical Resources, the Jerusalem Center for Biblical Studies, and a professor of archaeology and Biblical studies at Hebrew University in Jersualem Israel.

I hope you find this useful.

Re: Is there a Biblical/Divine calendar? #16565
11/10/05 07:25 PM
11/10/05 07:25 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
quote:
But if we insist that the New Year was calculated according to something that occasionally failed, i.e., the barley harvest, the entire system come to a halt in the years there is no harvest. Do you think that is what scripture and God intended?
Q: How can the new year be set according to the barley in Sabbatical and Jubilee years? What about in drought years? Even if barley sometimes sprouts and grows "voluntarily" with no cultivation, isn't this is less likely in the Jubilee year and in years of severe drought.

Barley grows every year in the Holy Land whether farmers intentionally cultivate it or not. Unintentionally cultivated barley, also referred to as "volunteer" barley, is present all over the Land of Israel in very large quantities. In areas where barley had been cultivated in previous years, fallen seeds would have grown "voluntarily" in relatively large concentrations. However, even in areas where barley has not been cultivated since at least 1948, it continues to survive in great quantities. Volunteer barley grows in such large quantities that Arab shepherds have been known to harvest it with sickles to feed their sheep. Modern wheat farmers in Israel complain that they have to actively root out volunteer barley from their wheat fields and even then they can never get all of it. It is specifically the "volunteer" crops which the Torah gives the poor and Levites to eat in the sabbatical year, as we read in Lev 25,4-7:

"(4) But in the seventh year shall be a Sabbath of rest unto the land, a Sabbath for YHWH: you shall not plant your field...(5) That which grows of its own accord of your harvest you shall not reap... (6) And the [produce of the] Sabbath of the land shall be for you for food; for you, and for your man-servant, and for your woman-servant, and for your hired workers, and for your stranger that sojourns with you. (7) And for your cattle, and for the wild-animals that are in your land, shall all its produce be for food."

In a Sabbatical or Jubilee year there would have been no difficulty to determine the Abib based on the "volunteer" barley. Even in the severe drought of 1998-1999 the volunteer barley was abundant throughout the Land of Israel, even in the Negev desert!
http://www.karaite-korner.org/abib_faq.shtml#sabbatical_and_jubilee

Besides, you said,
quote:
The barley offering was only one of several offerings that were prescribed.
It seems to me you are missing the importance of this offering, which was a type of Christ’s resurrection.

"Christ arose from the dead as the first fruits of those that slept. He was the antitype of the wave sheaf, and His resurrection took place on the very day when the wave sheaf was to be presented before the Lord. For more than a thousand years this symbolic ceremony had been performed. From the harvest fields the first heads of ripened grain were gathered, and when the people went up to Jerusalem to the Passover, the sheaf of first fruits was waved as a thank offering before the Lord. Not until this was presented could the sickle be put to the grain, and it be gathered into sheaves. The sheaf dedicated to God represented the harvest. So Christ the first fruits represented the great spiritual harvest to be gathered for the kingdom of God. His resurrection is the type and pledge of the resurrection of all the righteous dead. 'For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with Him.' 1 Thess. 4:14." {DA 785, 786}

Re: Is there a Biblical/Divine calendar? #16566
11/10/05 07:49 PM
11/10/05 07:49 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
quote:
In contrast, the Astronomical Book has only one starting point, but it, as I mentioned above, appears to make provision for an intercalation of an extra month in either the spring or the fall. Perhaps the modern Jewish custom of dividing the year into civil and religious cycles is a corruption of this provision and/or a corruption of the provision in the Astronomical Book for both a lunar and a solar set of months.
Mark,

What you are forgetting altogether is that in a 364-day calendar no extra “month” can be inserted. According to the hypothesis that you yourself presented, the maximum that could be inserted was a week every seven years and two weeks every twenty eight years.

Re: Is there a Biblical/Divine calendar? #16567
11/10/05 11:53 PM
11/10/05 11:53 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Hi Kevin:

I'm familiar with that postion. I have looked into it before now, but I agree with Rosangela that the SOP and scripture support the Thursday night Passover. One of the best authorities on that point is Alfred Edersheim, a 19th century converted Jew and scholar whom Ellen White seems to have drawn material from. In his book The Temple, Its Ministry and Services, he devotes several pages in an appendix to that issue. Edersheim is especially credible because of his vast knowledge of Jewish customs. The only weakness I've seen in his research in general is that he places too much reliance on the accuracy of the Mishnah as a primary source of information on the practises of the Jews before the dispersion. The Mishnah is at best a secondary source but there are not many other sources. Even the DSS's do not provide as much information as scholars had hoped.

Another reason you may like to read him is that he is of the opinion that John the beloved was from the priestly line. In his book you'll see why he thinks that and I have to say, he makes a good case. There are a number of details in John's gospel that point to a more in-depth understanding of the sacrificial system and the temple services. I can't remember for sure but I think some of them relate directly to the Lord's Supper, and while John may not use the term passover, I seem to recall that Edersheim finds more evidence of the Passover in John's account than in the other gospels.

Page 2 of 34 1 2 3 4 33 34

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!