HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 15
Rick H 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 1
Page 40 of 46 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 45 46
Re: Rejection of the Testimonies Foretold, Part 1 [Re: ProdigalOne] #184530
07/15/17 01:15 AM
07/15/17 01:15 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Originally Posted By: ProdigalOne
I believe Mark began this thread with a quote from Sister White:

"I am now of the opinion that the Testimonies will not live among God’s people. They will be removed. I have some light on this point but cannot now give it. Said Christ, “I have many things to say unto you but ye cannot bear them now.” {Lt16-1875}"

She must have seen how terrible our days would be...

Elder Johnsson's new book Where are we headed? Adventism after San Antonio is the most recent example of the removal of the Testimonies. We need to understand that those who have been convicted on the inspiration of the Testimonies and then reject them will also do the same with scripture. So in assessing the spiritual soundness of our brothers and sisters we have to look at how well grounded they are in all of the inspired sources. In this review of Johnsson's book notice his new approach to inspiration: He rejects a literal reading of the Word for a "principled" and "nuanced" approach. If he is doing that with the Bible, it is safe to assume he is doing that with the Testimonies.

Last edited by Mark Shipowick; 07/15/17 01:19 AM.
Re: Rejection of the Testimonies Foretold, Part 1 [Re: Charity] #184612
07/19/17 05:59 AM
07/19/17 05:59 AM
T
The Wanderer  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2022

Central Alberta
Originally Posted By: Mark Shipowick

"I am now of the opinion that the Testimonies will not live among God’s people. They will be removed. I have some light on this point but cannot now give it. Said Christ, “I have many things to say unto you but ye cannot bear them now.” {Lt16-1875}"

Elder Johnsson's new book Where are we headed? Adventism after San Antonio is the most recent example of the removal of the Testimonies. We need to understand that those who have been convicted on the inspiration of the Testimonies and then reject them will also do the same with scripture. So in assessing the spiritual soundness of our brothers and sisters we have to look at how well grounded they are in all of the inspired sources. In this review of Johnsson's book notice his new approach to inspiration: He rejects a literal reading of the Word for a "principled" and "nuanced" approach. If he is doing that with the Bible, it is safe to assume he is doing that with the Testimonies.
As he has been doing for years, Kirkpatrick lays out a long list of allegations and complaints with no verifiable evidence at all. His well-groomed religious talk means nothing. Certainly, you have posted no evidence that Willaim G Johnson has "rejected the testimonies."

"The worst foes of my spiritual life have never been hostile circumstance."

"There is always a little bit of light" (Micah 7:8)
https://www.lightintheclouds.net/word

Sincerely, IN Christ; and THROUGH The Spirit

- The Wanderer
Re: Rejection of the Testimonies Foretold, Part 1 [Re: Charity] #184718
07/31/17 02:08 PM
07/31/17 02:08 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada

That what you wrote (highlighted in red above) is simply not true at all. There are only a mere 18 million SDA, half of whom question the "inspiration" of Ellen White. That means, only about 9 million Christians accept "the testimonies". There are about 3 billion Christians in the world today, all of whom embrace the Bible wholeheartedly as THE Holy Scriptures.

What does that tell you? It's obvious that the Whites (those SDA who uphold "the testimonies") are a drop in the bucket but imagine themselves to be the center of the universe, exalting themselves mightily and casting down those who believe the Bible is the alpha and omega of authority in matters pertaining to God.

But such is the mind of those who drift from the path of truth as revealed in the Bible to follow after their lesser light, drinking from broken cisterns of water from murky wells in a dry and barren wilderness.

///

Re: Rejection of the Testimonies Foretold, Part 1 [Re: James Peterson] #184727
08/01/17 03:14 AM
08/01/17 03:14 AM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: James Peterson

There are about 3 billion Christians in the world today, all of whom embrace the Bible wholeheartedly as THE Holy Scriptures.

What does that tell you?
///

Actually it tells me you must be living in a different world. smirk
Yes, there are Christians who take Bible study seriously as the word of God, there are many genuine Christians in this world, but they are not the majority, and most certainly it is not true of "all" Christians. Many of the sincere Christians, in various churches, are very worried about what they say is "the emergence of “Bible-less Christianity.”

They realize that it's true the Bible is still the most bought book. But the problem is that many people see the Bible more as an artifact to be put up on the mantle for good luck, rather than as a book to be read and studied.

How can one say ALL embrace the Bible when even their ministers think parts are mere "fairy tales" not be taken literally.

Quote:
1998: A poll of 7,441 Protestant clergy in the U.S. showed a wide variation in belief. The following ministers did not believe in the virgin birth:
-- American Lutherans 19%
-- American Baptists 34%
-- Episcopalians 44%
-- Presbyterians 49%
-- Methodists 60%

1999: A poll of 103 Roman Catholic priests, Anglican priests, and Protestant ministers/pastors in the UK found that about 25% did not believe in the virgin birth.
97% of the same group do not believe the world was created in six days, and
80% do not believe in the literal existence of Adam and Eve.

There is a movement to " ‘demythologise’ the teachings of the Bible by stripping away the miraculous, especially in the accounts of Jesus.

The Bible is under heavy attack in our day.
Higher Biblical Criticism sets itself up to determine what in Scripture is based merely on culture and human concepts, and what is actually inspired (if any)

It's a sad reality that of the billions of people calling themselves Christians in the world, only a small percent, a minority embrace the Bible wholeheartedly as the Word of God.

What we need to do is encourage each other to embrace the Bible wholeheartedly as the Word of God.

Re: Rejection of the Testimonies Foretold, Part 1 [Re: Charity] #184732
08/01/17 05:02 AM
08/01/17 05:02 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA

Mark - have YOU read the book? Have you spoken with Johnsson about his book? Or are you going on hearsay of a piece written by an angry saint? What is painfully evident is that many want to take matters into their own hands, for they MUST do the works themselves, for they do not trust God to work things out. This was the fault of Israel, and the church in the last days if falling for the same trap of the devil. Oh that we would look to Jesus...

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Rejection of the Testimonies Foretold, Part 1 [Re: Charity] #184736
08/01/17 02:27 PM
08/01/17 02:27 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
In this review of Johnsson's book notice his new approach to inspiration

Yes, I'm also disturbed by judging someone else from a review by someone else. I often find authors quoting scientific papers saying it shows such and such. However, when looking at the actual paper, it does no such thing. To re-quote a quote without checking would not be a good thing.

Re: Rejection of the Testimonies Foretold, Part 1 [Re: Charity] #184759
08/03/17 05:52 AM
08/03/17 05:52 AM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
I tend to agree with Wanderer, Kland and APL here --

William Johnson has written many meaningful and insightful things in his long career. To now judge him simply because he has genuine concerns about the proceedings at the last GC gathering, without actually reading his book, is a "knee jerk" reaction

But you can watch an interview
WATCH: David Larson’s interview with William G. Johnsson about his book Where Are We Headed: Adventism after San Antonio

Re: Rejection of the Testimonies Foretold, Part 1 [Re: Charity] #184761
08/03/17 06:31 AM
08/03/17 06:31 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
I find the implications here against Mark to be shameful. No one asked Mark if he had read the book--but assumptions were made. Whether or not Mark has read the book, the arguments made against him fall flat on account of the fact that those making the statements were doing exactly what they accused him of.

Secondly, the review quotes entire paragraphs from Elder Johnsson. The quotes leave little to be questioned regarding his perspective. They make it clear enough. To say otherwise would be akin to saying one doesn't really know if God loves us from reading John 3:16 unless he has read the whole Bible first.

In conclusion, it appears that the criticisms leveled against Mark and/or Elder Kirkpatrick (the author of the review), and in defense of Elder Johnsson, are motivated purely from a theological bias--you defend Johnsson because you agree with his bias. This reduces your criticisms of the review of Johnsson's work to the level of simply an ad hominem attack. Shameful.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Rejection of the Testimonies Foretold, Part 1 [Re: Charity] #184764
08/03/17 12:52 PM
08/03/17 12:52 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
I don't have a theological bias since I don't know what Johnsson said. All I'm objecting to is basing one's belief on someone else's thoughts of what someone else said.

No ad hominem attack. But guess you'd be sensitive to such for doing such yourself. For example, have you had your B-12 vitamin today? Evidence shows you haven't.

Re: Rejection of the Testimonies Foretold, Part 1 [Re: Charity] #184765
08/03/17 02:55 PM
08/03/17 02:55 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: green
I find the implications here against Mark to be shameful. No one asked Mark if he had read the book--but assumptions were made. Whether or not Mark has read the book, the arguments made against him fall flat on account of the fact that those making the statements were doing exactly what they accused him of.
Ah, green - have you read this thread? The following is a part of speech known as a question:
Originally Posted By: apl
Mark - have YOU read the book? Have you spoken with Johnsson about his book? Or are you going on hearsay of a piece written by an angry saint?
Mark has not replied. I have the book, and have directly discussed it with Johnsson in person.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Page 40 of 46 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 45 46

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!