HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,198
Posts195,591
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, TruthinTypes, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,634 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: When The Clouds Go By [Re: APL] #183934
06/02/17 06:37 PM
06/02/17 06:37 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Originally Posted By: APL
gary, elle resolves our lack of free will by believing that God will save everyone. Her favorite website is steeped in universalism. Satan is the author of sin and the idea of universalism. The New Covenant is indeed based on the promises of God only, but ignores the fact that God's love can be rejected. Yes, God wills all to be saved, that does not mean all will be saved. Universalism ultimately claims all men are righteous, no matter what they do for good will at last come out of evil.

Interesting. Then, to be logically consistent, she cannot say Adam bore any responsibility for his fall. There is also no need of a Savior since God is responsible for Adam's and our sins. We were really only obeying Him all the time.

Re: When The Clouds Go By [Re: Alchemy] #183935
06/02/17 10:08 PM
06/02/17 10:08 PM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Alchemy
Originally Posted By: dedication
Jesus never fails
Jesus never fails
heaven and earth may pass away,
but Jesus never fails.
...all things of earth may fail us
But Jesus never fails....

God has not promised smooth roads and wide,
Swift, easy travel, needing no guide;
Never a mountain, rocky and steep,
Never a river, turbid and deep.

BUT
But God has promised strength for the day,
Rest for the labor, light for the way,
Grace for the trials, help from above,
Unfailing sympathy, undying love.

Amen dedication.

I will admit I have trouble understanding God at times. I still marvel at Abraham going to sacrifice Isaac when he knew for sure Isaac was the child of promise and that God forbids sacrificing of children. (Deut. 12:29-21 and Jer. 7:30-32) I would say human sacrifices all together.

Yet, Abraham took Isaac to sacrifice him at the mountain. Abraham still knew somehow it was God even though the command contradicted God's word! I still don't get it.

But, God didn't fail Abraham and He will not fail us. Amen!?!

Yes, we can count on it -- God will not fail!

The age old question of course has been -- "if God is a God of love why is there so much suffering in the world"? It's an inescapable question that plagues people.

We do have the answer in inspired writings --
To understand we need to understand what the great controversy is all about.

1. Free choice.
God seeks those who worship Him in Spirit and in truth.
John 4:23 " the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeks such to worship him.

God could have created beings who were incapable of rebelling against Him. He also could have stopped sin in it's beginnings by forceful removable.

However, in order to choose, a created being has to know about both sides. When sin first entered, it didn't sound all that bad, in fact it was made to sound like something better than what God had to offer. (Which is still Satan's big deceptive claim).

So sin is allowed to demonstrate it's results. Sin doesn't just bring ruin and heartache to the ones in open defiance of God's law, it also brings ruin, disease, poverty and death to people we would describe as "innocent". The whole creation is groaning under the results of sin. The pain, mental, physical and emotional damage, the ruin of society, health, and moral values is the "norm" while the good things are blessings in life come from God to help us cope with the "norm".

Originally Posted By: Bible
Romans 22 For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now. 23 Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body. 24 For we were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees? 25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance.

Often we can't understand "why", but then when we look at what sin is doing in the world, we can ask "why not me?" compared to what others have endured, we still have it very good. How many of God's followers suffered severely in this world, loosing everything, yet held on to their faith because of their hope and faith in the promise---
John 16:44 " in me ye may have peace. In the world you shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."

Isaiah 41:10 "Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness."

As someone else wrote -- We know the end of the story. We may be in a dark tunnel but we have that glorious hope, and those are the promises we place our faith in.

Satan's plan is to wrest us away from our hope, and plunge us into despair and hopelessness -- he works hard to do this. But keep looking up -- never give up.

2. Abraham

An object lesson in faith --

The false religion in Abraham's day taught offering one's child to the "gods" would reverse bad luck. In 2 Chronicles 28 we read that even in Israel, child sacrifice to the "gods" was being practiced.

But is that what God wants?
No -- the story of Abraham shows we do NOT need to sacrifice our children to gain favor with the "gods".
For God Himself provided Himself as the lamb.
In our day, we tend to assume that Abraham KNEW child sacrifice was not God's way, but remember Abraham came from Ur of Chaldea where this practice was common, He lived among the Canaanites who also practiced it.

God showed Abraham the truth of the gospel --
-- Abraham was willing to give up everything dear to him in order to have God's favor, -- that is good, that is faith.

-- but God shows him he does NOT need to sacrifice his son in order to gain favor with God, a much better offering has been provided for our sins.

Isaac asked "My father, . . . where is the lamb for a burnt offering?" Abraham answered, "My son, God will provide Himself a lamb for a burnt offering" Genesis 22:7, 8, not then realizing the prophetic reality of his words.

God did provide a ram, caught in the bushes for the sacrifice. That ram was a substitute representing the "Lamb of God"
And in the ram divinely provided in the place of Isaac, Abraham saw a symbol of Him who was to die for the sins of men.

We too can gain courage from this --
Can we pray over a child or a loved one stricken with disease, "not my will but Thine be done". "Lord I want them to be healed, but you know the end from the beginning, no matter what the out come, I place them in Your hands. I know you shed your blood that they might be saved, I trust in you to do what is best for their eternal welbeing."

Re: When The Clouds Go By [Re: ] #183943
06/03/17 06:48 AM
06/03/17 06:48 AM
T
The Wanderer  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2022

Central Alberta
Originally Posted By: Gary K
This idea of "God failing us" is very pernicious. It is expressed in many ways too. God has failed to protect the Bible as it is no longer trustworthy. God failed with the Spirit of Prophecy writings as they are a tool of the devil. God fails us when we tell Him what we want and He doesn't give it to us. We have spiritual struggles so that is evidence of God's failure. God failed us because Biblical authors such as Paul and James wrote "wrongheaded" stuff. James was a "legalist" leading people away from faith in God.

All these things are is an expression of lack of faith in God.
It is not wrong for Christians to have pain-filled thinking,or to wonder where God is. If you do not have this happening thats ok too, but its not OK to disparage people going through a rough time,and experiencing this kind of anxiety. Jesus Himself cried from the cross:"Why hast Thou forsaken me?" It is incumbent upon all Christians to have the same types of experience as Jesus. "...Those who are crushed in spirit; God saves." (Psalms 34:19)

Our movement from broken-hearted to whole-hearted, is the passionate desire of Christ. "I will rescue them from all places where they have been scattered on a day of clouds and thick darkness." (Ezekiel 34:12) "When The Clouds Go By" is a very fitting name for this topic. smile

"The worst foes of my spiritual life have never been hostile circumstance."

"There is always a little bit of light" (Micah 7:8)
https://www.lightintheclouds.net/word

Sincerely, IN Christ; and THROUGH The Spirit

- The Wanderer
Re: When The Clouds Go By [Re: The Wanderer] #183948
06/03/17 04:42 PM
06/03/17 04:42 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Originally Posted By: The Wanderer
This idea of "God failing us" is very pernicious. It is expressed in many ways too. God has failed to protect the Bible as it is no longer trustworthy. God failed with the Spirit of Prophecy writings as they are a tool of the devil. God fails us when we tell Him what we want and He doesn't give it to us. We have spiritual struggles so that is evidence of God's failure. God failed us because Biblical authors such as Paul and James wrote "wrongheaded" stuff. James was a "legalist" leading people away from faith in God.

It is not wrong for Christians to have pain-filled thinking,or to wonder where God is. If you do not have this happening thats ok too, but its not OK to disparage people going through a rough time,and experiencing this kind of anxiety. Jesus Himself cried from the cross:"Why hast Thou forsaken me?" It is incumbent upon all Christians to have the same types of experience as Jesus. "...Those who are crushed in spirit; God saves." (Psalms 34:19)

Our movement from broken-hearted to whole-hearted, is the passionate desire of Christ. "I will rescue them from all places where they have been scattered on a day of clouds and thick darkness." (Ezekiel 34:12) "When The Clouds Go By" is a very fitting name for this topic. smile

It is one thing to have pain in your life because of bad things happening to you. It is quite another to say God is failing you because bad things happen to you. That is quite an accusation against God. It says you believe He is the source of your pain. That is most emphatically not true.

Re: When The Clouds Go By [Re: The Wanderer] #183952
06/04/17 03:05 AM
06/04/17 03:05 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
God will not fail!
The fact, however, is that many people do believe God has let them down. I fully agree that it is emphatically not true, yet finite people living in sin wracked world often fall into the pit of despondency (as depicted in Pilgrim's Progress)and they need a helping hand.

Originally Posted By: John Bunyan

THE SLOUGH OF DESPOND

Now I saw in my dream that, just as PLIABLE and CHRISTIAN had ended this talk, they drew near to a very miry slough that was in the midst of the plain; and they being heedless, did both fall suddenly into the bog. The name of the slough was "Despond." Here, therefore, they wallowed for a time, being grievously bedaubed with the dirt; and CHRISTIAN, because of the burden that was on his back, began to sink in the mire.

[His companion deserted him and returned home where his neighbors did mock at his cowardliness, saying, "Surely, since you began to venture, you would not have been so base as to have given out for a few difficulties]

CHRISTIAN was left to tumble in the Slough of Despond alone; but still he endeavoured to struggle to that side of the slough that was farthest from his own house, and next to the wicket gate: which he did, but could not get out, because of the burden that was upon his back. But I beheld, in my dream, that a man came to him whose name was HELP, and asked him what he did there?

Help. But why did you not look for the steps?

Chr. Fear followed me so hard, that I fled the next way and fell in.

Help. Then said he, "Give me thy hand." So he gave him his hand, and he drew him out; and set him upon some ground, and bade him go on his way.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings." Psalm 40:2

CHRISTIAN then asks HELP (who represents the Holy Spirit) why this dangerous plot of land had not been mended so that poor travelers might go safely to the Celestial City. Help replies, “This miry slough is such a place that cannot be mended.”

In this world of sin and suffering there are times in our lives when we, too, will struggle through the swamps of despondency — but God has NOT failed, we can praise God that He has provided us a Helper for those times of need! We need to look up-- press on, seeking and trusting the power of the Holy Spirit to pull us out of those depressingly dangerous swamps, and set our feet back upon the Rock of our salvation.

Thus yes, it is imperative that we KNOW God will not fail, else we, like PLIABLE in the story, will turn back to the City of Destruction.

Re: When The Clouds Go By [Re: The Wanderer] #183959
06/04/17 12:48 PM
06/04/17 12:48 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Isn't it amazing how good a book Pilgrim's Progress is? I have always loved that book because it is so good at showing the reality of life in a sinful world. Bunyan really understood spiritual realities.

Re: When The Clouds Go By [Re: ] #183998
06/06/17 05:46 AM
06/06/17 05:46 AM
T
The Wanderer  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2022

Central Alberta
Isn't it amazing how good a book Pilgrim's Progress is? I have always loved that book because it is so good at showing the reality of life in a sinful world. Bunyan really understood spiritual realities.
That is a very good book It was one of the first books I bought after I was baptized.

- The Wanderer
Re: When The Clouds Go By [Re: ] #183999
06/06/17 05:51 AM
06/06/17 05:51 AM
T
The Wanderer  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2022

Central Alberta

It is one thing to have pain in your life because of bad things happening to you. It is quite another to say God is failing you because bad things happen to you. That is quite an accusation against God. It says you believe He is the source of your pain. That is most emphatically not true.
Maybe it is not so much an "accusation against God," as much as it is just saying how we feel sometimes when the going gets really tough. Even Jesus did such a thing:
Quote:
"And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" (Mat 15:34)

- The Wanderer
Re: When The Clouds Go By [Re: The Wanderer] #184001
06/06/17 06:06 AM
06/06/17 06:06 AM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa

Maybe it is not so much an "accusation against God," as much as it is just saying how we feel sometimes when the going gets really tough. Even Jesus did such a thing:
Quote:
"And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" (Mat 15:34)

Indeed, Jesus did say that. But under what circumstances? He had always known the presence of His Father, and Ellen White tells us that the Father had withdrawn His presence so that Jesus could no longer perceive it. So Jesus was responding to what was really happening. He response was not a lack of faith, or in other words, distrust He had of His Father.

I've been at the point that I didn't think God was there for me. So I know what it is like, but just because I accused God of letting me down doesn't make it the right thing to do. It was, in fact, a statement of my unbelief at the time....

Read Paul. He makes this point again and again about the COI. And every time they didn't believe God was there for them Paul calls it unbelief. Every time. Moses did the same thing. At the end of the book of Deuteronomy he tells the COI that they are a rebellious people who do not have faith in God. He was right on the money too.

Last edited by Gary K; 06/06/17 06:07 AM.
Re: When The Clouds Go By [Re: ] #184006
06/06/17 12:36 PM
06/06/17 12:36 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Quote:
Alchemy : I understand the desire to blame God. Adam blamed God when he said "The woman whom thou gavest to be with me". But, the failure was all Adam's and it is the same with us in this life.

Elle : I 100% agree that Adam fell and he bare some level of responsibility in his fall. The same with the Israelites when they came out of Egypt....they bore some level of responsibility in their failure and they all died(except 2) in the dessert and did not enter the promise land.

Regardless, the New Covenant oath that God ALONE made is very Biblical and still stand. With the New Covenant Oath that God made, the responsibility to succeed no longer rest on our shoulder because the new covenant is a ONE WAY UNCONDITIONAL Covenant that God alone has made.

So if someone says that if we fail in our life time we will loose our salvation because we didn't hold our oath of the bargain.... that type of mindset or teachings comes from the OLD Covenant. It is very obvious that these people are teaching the "other gospel" by which history shows that no man can keep their part of their oath.

I find it very interesting that I've presented a very simple Biblical concept of the New Covenant that we all should know....and for some reason...that the New Covenant enters in the category of being an evil & false doctrine??? Beats me? When individuals come to the point of rejecting the most fundamental stone of our Salvation that God has laid for us in scriptures via His death that made Jesus the mediator of the New covenant(not the Old covenant), then for me there's no door for further discussion. I will leave you to continue your path with your Old Testament oath. All the best to you...I do hope you can do better than the Israelites.

Originally Posted By: GaryK
So in your view God controls all the choices we make? He causes us to not spend time with Him in study on prayer? He causes us to doubt Him? The reason I ask these questions is because they are implied by your belief.

It seems to me that you are very much blaming God for sin for whatsoever is not of faith is sin. Romans 14:23 And since God is responsible, in your view, for our lapses of faith He is then the author of sin and temptation.

Gary, I believe that God gives us some choices like a Parent does with their own children. Choices is part in any education program including our Heavenly Father's [spiritual] education program.

God is our heavenly father that is on a mission to teach us His laws and discipline us also when we failed our lessons. But these little "choices" at man's levels are not above God's Sovereignty or God's plan.

If you want to further discuss about "choices"...then open another discussion as this is way off topic.

For this discussion at hand.... my simple point was that there's two Covenant in scriptures.

1. Old Covenant : based on Man's ability to keep his promise
2. New Covenant : based on God's ability to keep His promise

Which covenant do you believe the world are under? I believe it is the New Covenant.

Which covenant do you personally live by? I'll let you answer for yourself; but for myself....the New Covenant.

If someone lives under the Old Covenant....of course they will have plenty of doubt when the clouds passes by. That's my simple point.

Blessings
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:41 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!